Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCs select Barrie-Innisfil candidate

Andrea Khanjin cites health care, small business and job creation as priorities
about 20 hours ago by: Raymond Bowe

Andrea Khanjin has been chosen as the Progressive Conservative Party's candidate in the Barrie-Innisfil riding for the upcoming provincial election. Raymond Bowe/BarrieToday

Born in Moscow before the fall of the Soviet Union, Andrea Khanjin fled the communist state as a child with her grandparents.

Chosen Thursday as the Progressive Conservative Party’s candidate in the new Barrie-Innisfil provincial riding, Khanjin said those early memories galvanized in her what kind of political system she did not want to be participant to.

“We tended to be anything but communism, really, because we fled that world,” she said during an interview at Cafe Cappuccino in downtown Barrie.

“I was born in Moscow during a very tumultuous time,” Khanjin added. “My grandparents really hated what was happening under the communist regime, so my grandmother wanted to get out as soon as she could.”

They fled to Cuba where they met a local man who said Barrie would be a nice place to settle. They lived with him for a few years before saving up enough money to rent their own place and eventually purchase a home.

“It was really my grandparents striving for a better life,” Khanjin said. “I was very fortunate they took me with them.”

Her grandfather is still alive, but her grandmother died a year ago. Khanjin’s father remains in Russia and her mother moved here about seven years ago.

Khanjin remembers landing in Gander, NL, where they claimed refugee status. Her first tastes of freedom, literally, were Froot Loops and McDonald’s ketchup packets within a few hours of each other.

Khanjin, now 30, won the nomination last week to become the PC candidate in the Barrie-Innisfil riding for this summer’s provincial election, set for June 7.

Khanjin has been involved with several elections behind the scenes in Barrie, but she is entering new ground.

“(Innisfil) is more of a new territory for me, but I’ve made a lot of inroads during the nomination and will continue to do so during the campaign,” she said.

Her partner, Kevin Royal, came back to Canada from his job in South Korea to help with her campaign and she said he plans to return to Canada in the coming months.

Winning the nomination was a big step in her career.

“I’m really motivated by the outpouring of support we’ve got from conservatives all around the riding,” she said. “I’ve met a lot of conservatives, so now it’s reaching out to the broader net of the Barrie-Innisfil riding.”

Khanjin said she is keen on making improvements in the riding.

“I’ve always wanted to make change happen, so for me that change has always been behind the scenes,” she said. “I’ve come to the realization that you can do all the good work you can behind the scenes, but it really comes down to that person you elect on the front lines, who really puts their name forward and is accountable for the decisions; someone who is in it for the rights reasons and not the wrong reasons.

"It has to be selfless.”

Khanjin said politicians have to remain focused on their riding. “When you don’t do that, you’re totally out of touch with common sense and reality,” she said.

Khanjin grew up in south-end Barrie and said she has an interest in politics since she was 12 years old.

“Whether it was student council at King Edward or student council at Barrie Collegiate, a lot of my friends are still here,” she said. “And even those who have moved away, their parents are still here, so I have my roots, my base and it’s been my home for more than 25 years.”

One of her first political contacts was former PC Party leader Patrick Brown, who was a Barrie city councillor at the time and working on his second municipal campaign. She also worked with former MPP Joe Tascona and subsequent PC candidates provincially.

After graduating from Barrie Central, she secured a scholarship at the University of Ottawa where she studied political science. During the summer, she worked at Brown’s constituency office when he was an MP, as well as with Jason Kenney and Joe Oliver.

From the local turmoil surrounding Brown to the leadership race atop the PC ranks, Khanjin said none of that has mattered to people at their homes.

“I thought it would be more of a question at the door … but the real thing is people just want change and want the Liberals out,” she said.

Khanjin said her main priorities on the campaign trail will be health care, small business and job creation.

“Our health-care system sometimes fails us when we need it most,” she said, adding the creation of a health hub in Innisfil is “going to be a big issue.”

Secondly, “small business is the backbone of our area,” Khanjin said, noting concerns surrounding “labour changes,” such as the minimum-wage increase, have been raised by employers she has spoken to.

Thirdly, job creation is paramount.

“You can’t have quality jobs without education,” Khanjin said. “We need to ensure that when people go to Georgian College we’re able to retain that brain power so people can stay in their community to work. I don’t think we do a good enough job with that. The college does a great job … but we need to find a way to retain that talent.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Uniting' Conservatives the goal of acclaimed Ottawa West-Nepean candidate Jeremy Roberts

James Bagnall James Bagnall
More from James Bagnall

Published on: March 6, 2018 | Last Updated: March 6, 2018 9:09 PM EST

Jeremy Roberts, who emerged over the weekend as the Ontario Progressive Conservatives' standard bearer for Ottawa West-Nepean, will kick off his election campaign on Wednesday. Supplied

After this winter’s weirdness, the Ontario progressive conservative party would like nothing better than to return to a semblance of normality.

Events surrounding the riding of Ottawa West-Nepean suggest the party may be moving in this direction. On Wednesday, the Conservatives’ current standard bearer, Jeremy Roberts, intends to kick off his campaign to take the riding currently represented by Bob Chiarelli, a Liberal.

Roberts secured the PC nomination on Saturday night, when he was the only one to contest it. However, Roberts’ journey reveals much about the party’s inner tensions under former leader Patrick Brown, who stepped down earlier this year following media reports about his relations with two young women.

Roberts, a 26 year-old policy wonk, missed securing the Ottawa West-Nepean nomination last May by 15 votes. The winner of that contest, Karma Macgregor, was a close ally of Brown, and Macgregor’s daughter, Tamara, was a senior member of Brown’s staff when he was leader of the opposition at Queen’s Park.

However, Macgregor’s victory was marred by allegations from the Conservative riding association that membership lists contained dozens of odd entries such as people with Toronto phone numbers. Brown personally confirmed Macgregor’s nomination anyway.

That nomination was challenged last month, when the provincial party ordered a new vote.

Rob Elliott, an executive member of the PC party who resigned his position following Brown’s move, is expected to attending Roberts’ campaign launch event at the Villa Marconi long-term health care facility. Also attending will be Vic Fedeli, interim PC party leader and leader of the opposition.

Fedeli is also expected to speaking at the event, underlining the importance of what is expected to be a swing riding in the June 7 provincial election. Ottawa West-Nepean has been Liberal since 2003, coinciding with that party’s tenure in power. However, the riding voted Conservative by an impressive margin in 1999, when Garry Guzzo prevailed in a fight against a split opposition comprising New Democratic Party candidate Alex Cullen and Liberal Rick Chiarelli.

“We will be talking about the need to unite conservatives,” Roberts said Tuesday.

Macgregor did not respond to a request for an interview

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comuzzi to seek PC nomination in Thunder Bay-Atikokan

After two attempts at a federal seat, Thunder Bay businesswoman says she will seek to enter the provincial political fray.
about 8 hours ago by: Leith Dunick

Moe Comuzzi is a two-time federal nominee for the Conservatives in Thunder Bay-Rainy River. (Matt Vis, tbnewswatch.com)

THUNDER BAY – Moe Comuzzi has made it a two-candidate race for the Conservatives in Thunder Bay-Atikokan.

The former two-time federal nominee on Sunday announced she would be challenging riding association president Brandon Postuma for the right to try to dethrone Liberal Bill Mauro, who has held the seat for 15 years, in the coming provincial election.

The Thunder Bay businesswoman said her experience in her hometown gives her the knowledge needed to help grow the local economy and produce jobs in Northern Ontario.

“Thunder Bay-Atikokan has tremendous opportunities if the government makes the right policy choices in the coming years,” she said in a release issued late Sunday night.

“We must continue moving forward with supporting forestry and mining in the Thunder Bay area as well as manufacturing industries like Bombardier and Resolute Forest Products. Support to small business is critical at this time and I can be a strong voice at Queen’s Park in this regard.

The choice on June 7 is clear, she added, emphasizing her support for the Progressive Conservative’s newly elected leader.

“Doug Ford is the right leader for this province. Doug Ford is a talented and strong individual and the only party leader who can be trusted to represent the interests and concerns of the citizens of this riding,” Comuzzi said, adding she’s spoken to Ford and been promised he’ll work to get projects like the Ring of Fire off the drawing table and to resolve Toronto issues regarding Bombardier and its troubled street-car contract.

“I would be honoured to serve as the Progressive Party of Ontario and help win this riding in the upcoming election,” Comuzzi said.

The Conservatives have not elected an MPP in the riding since 1985, when Mickey Hennessey won his final term in the former Fort William riding. The party has not finished higher than third in the riding since 1999.

Running federally in Thunder Bay-Rainy River, Comuzzi finished second in 2011 and third in 2015.

Postuma announced late last week that he would enter the race.

Neither the Green Party nor the NDP have yet named a candidate in the riding.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Postuma to Seek PC Nomination in Thunder Bay Atikokan

Posted 9 March 2018 by NetNewsLedger in Featured

Brandon Postuma is seeking the Progressive Conservative nomination for Thunder Bay Atikokan

THUNDER BAY – POLITICS – Thunder Bay Atikokan Progressive Conservative riding association President Brandon Postuma announced today he will seek the PC nomination for The Thunder Bay Atikokan Riding.

“I am flying to Toronto in the morning to attend the PC leadership convention and felt that I wanted to announce my candidacy today to indicate my support for whomever the new leader is. I have declared my support publicly for Christine Elliot, but I will work with whoever becomes the new leader. This is all about defeating the Wynne Liberals and we cannot lose sight of that goal.”

Brandon is 31 years old married to Natalie and has three children Bentley, Aubrey, and baby Charlotte. Brandon runs the Kakabeka Depot which provides farm, garden, and veterinary supplies to local farmers. He was instrumental in attracting a pharmacy and clinic that serves Kakabeka and surrounding area. Brandon holds an Honors degree from Ottawa University and an undergraduate degree from Lakehead University.

“Natalie and I are raising our children on a small farm in Conmee Township. Farm life is teaching our children the hard work and great rewards through the raising of our horses, chickens, pigs, and a donkey Benji,” states Postuma.

Brandon is a member of the PC Party Agriculture Policy Development Board with MPP Toby Barrett, member of the economic development committee for Oliver-Paipoonge, was instrumental in the Kakabeka Village revitalization, The Kakabeka Depot, The Horse Hut, IDA Pharmacy and Clinic, The Eddy Restaurant and other community programs and events.

Long-serving Riding President Brandon Postuma, is part of a family that has been strong Conservation supporters for many years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New leader Doug Ford plans to review all Ontario PC nominations to ensure they are legitimate

There were 'a lot of indiscretions,' Ford said in an interview with the National Post, raising the possibility of more nominations being overturned

Tom Blackwell
Tom Blackwell

March 13, 2018
6:08 PM EDT

Filed under
Canadian Politics

TORONTO — Doug Ford signalled Tuesday he is placing a firm hand on Ontario’s fractious Progressive Conservative party as its new leader, vowing to put all of the party’s nominations under a microscope to ensure they were aboveboard.

About a dozen elections of Tory candidates have been appealed in the past year or so amid allegations of voter fraud and ballot stuffing, and the party has already overturned two of them.

In an interview with the National Post, Ford said he’s seen evidence himself of “a lot of indiscretions” and wants a broad examination of the issue.

“We’re going to review every single nomination,” he said. “There were a lot of ones that weren’t transparent. That’s disturbing, to say the least.”

During his campaign for the Conservative leadership — which Ford won by a hair’s breadth on Saturday — he spoke of meeting would-be candidates in some ridings who had sold hundreds of new Tory memberships but were told by party officials that they could not run to be the candidate.

As well as the disputed nominations, former leader Patrick Brown appointed candidates himself in about 60 constituencies, and refused to hear appeals of those that were clouded by controversy. Many Tories believed Brown’s top-down approach violated the party’s constitution, prompting a “Take back our party” campaign by Cambridge lawyer Jim Karahalios.

“There were a lot of indiscretions in a lot of nominations,” Ford said Tuesday. “I spoke to people who were disqualified the day before (the nomination election), and that’s not being transparent.”

He said any decision on whether to open up a riding to a new election would be made with the Tory caucus.

A Ford adviser said the new leader believes people should be able to win nominations on their own, without the leader’s help. Otherwise, “they’re probably going to be a terrible candidate.”

In the brief interview between appointments Tuesday, Ford also shed some light on his philosophy of government, saying he would strive to shrink its size and cost if he wins the June 7 election.

I'm going to make sure we drive more efficiencies with the money we have

“I don’t believe in government being in our lives and dictating how we should live,” he said. “Let the market dictate … instead of letting the government run things.”

But Ford remained fuzzy on exactly how he would carry out his promise to trim spending by four per cent — about $5.6 billion — without a single public servant losing his or her job.

Ford said he would employ technology and the Toyota-inspired “Lean” system to find efficiencies, although Lean has already been used in Ontario health care for close to a decade, with mixed results.

He also talked about getting better prices for supplies by issuing government-wide tenders for everything from pencils to cars, and eliminating sole-source contracts he claimed are widespread.

Ford seemed to suggest that health care would be spared from spending cuts, however.

“I’m not going to reduce it (health spending); I’m going to make sure we drive more efficiencies with the money we have,” he said. “We’re going to max that out and make sure we utilize it a lot smarter than what we’re doing right now.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario PCs overturn nominations, bar former leader Patrick Brown from running as candidate

Karen Howlett

Published March 15, 2018

Updated 14 minutes ago

Patrick Brown has been barred from running as a candidate for the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party in the upcoming provincial election.

The PC Party announced on Thursday evening that Mr. Brown will not be an eligible candidate. The party also announced that new nomination races will be held in three ridings and that the results will be set aside in a fourth one plagued by allegations of ballot-box stuffing.

The announcements came five days after former Toronto councillor Doug Ford succeeded Mr. Brown as leader of the party. Mr. Ford had pledged to reopen many of the nomination races that ended in controversy.

The provincial nomination committee unanimously decided at a meeting on Thursday to bar Mr. Brown from running and to hold the new nomination races.

“I am pleased to learn of the decisions made by the provincial nomination committee,” Mr. Ford said in a statement.

No reason was given for rejecting the candidacy of Mr. Brown, who was planning on running for the Tories in the new riding of Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte. But the decision follows a tumultuous period for the PC Party after Mr. Brown’s resignation as leader in January amid allegations of sexual misconduct with two women. He has denied the allegations but he was also kicked out of the Tory caucus in February, leaving him sitting as an independent member in the legislature.

“After much thought, I will not be running in the upcoming provincial election,” Mr. Brown tweeted. One of the nominations that has been overturned is in the riding of Brampton North, where paralegal Jass Johal was acclaimed as the candidate in November, 2016.

The Globe and Mail has reported that Mr. Brown was in talks with Mr. Johal to sell him Aeroplan miles and a stake in a restaurant for $375,000. The talks took place just five months before Mr. Johal was acclaimed in Brampton North.

The Globe also reported that $375,000 was deposited into Mr. Brown’s personal bank account in July, 2016, a month after Mr. Johal signed an affidavit regarding the proposed deal involving the Aeroplan miles and shares in Hooligans, a restaurant in Barrie partly owned by Mr. Brown. That same month, Mr. Brown purchased a waterfront home on Lake Simcoe’s Shanty Bay for $2.3-million.

Mr. Brown has told The Globe that the deal with Mr. Johal never went through and that his family helped with the down payment on his house. Ontario’s integrity watchdog is conducting an investigation into Mr. Brown’s financial affairs, including the house purchase. Lisa Thompson, a Tory MPP and member of the provincial nomination committee, cited the continuing investigation as the reason for overturning the nomination in Brampton North.

The other ridings where new nominations will be held are Newmarket-Aurora and Mississauga Centre.

Of the 56 competitive nomination races the PC Party held during Mr. Brown’s leadership, nearly one in four ended in controversy. The tally excludes 14 ridings where candidates were acclaimed.

Two other nominations in Ottawa West-Nepean and Scarborough Centre were earlier overturned by interim leader Vic Fedeli.

The party announced on Thursday that it is setting aside the results in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas because of the “irregularities in the nomination meeting.”

Vikram Singh, a lawyer and runner-up in the nomination race last May, sued the PC Party, alleging that widespread ballot-box stuffing torpedoed his bid. But he announced on Jan. 24 in a joint statement with Mr. Brown that he was withdrawing his lawsuit. However, there is a continuing criminal investigation into allegations of fraud at the nomination meeting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  

Jump to: