Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Overdose Crisis in a Canadian city Reply with quote

One of my themes, on this board, is that the elites are chasing different political and social policy goals than those that are needed by the population.

The trust-fund Prime Minister thinks that climate change and gender issues are the really really really important and that we can do better.

This is a Vice video of a working class family in Sault Ste Marie. This is representing more and more of the lives being lived out in Canada right now. Of course, it's different form Sault Ste Marie in Thunder Bay or Saskatoon, or Halifax ... and it focuses on the drug aspect of the problem at the end, but the first 15 minutes, showing the background, is a realistic and typical depiction of working class life in Canada these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2kqgX2KjTY

Climate change? Do you think the people in this video care?
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trudeau seems to address issues in the media , so if something is a big deal on the nightly news , he wants to be seen addressing it . I don't get the feeling he is the type to try and discover an issue and create a solution for it

the overdose crisis is clearly real , I think the situation in Sault Ste Marie is accurate and reflective of what is happening in other communities .

but its difficult to know whats really going on as overdoses aren't often reported and even deaths often aren't revealed to the general public , obituaries often don't say the person overdosed

from what I've read in the police news online there has been fentanyl , heroin and cocaine arrests for trafficking all over Ontario , not just anyone city or region but all over the place . its clear there is a significant street demand for these drugs and dealers looking to make easy money are willing to sell them

although there doesn't seem to be a clear solution , that's one thing I picked up when I watched parts of that video the other day . what exactly is the solution ? long term are these addicts going to go into treatment ?
the increased awareness of the drug crisis by paramedics has likely saved many lives as has naloxone , the death count would be significantly higher if not for it
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Overdose Crisis in a Canadian city Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
One of my themes, on this board, is that the elites are chasing different political and social policy goals than those that are needed by the population.

Elites? You must be triggered to use that word. Its a completely stupid phrase only worthy of Doug Ford and his idiots .

Anyhow, perhaps you should have looked first?

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/substance-abuse/prescription-drug-abuse/opioids/responding-canada-opioid-crisis.html

Reading , do you think people read or just like to make up things? LOL!
Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the comments of TC don't discourage the gentle reader from watching the video and understand that it is a description of life for one family in what once was industrial Canada, and use it for insight.

I confess, I don't even know how to reply to somebody who judges things by the use of a single word, "elites". In any case, the word isn't used in the video. He seems to feel that his condemnation is sufficient. He doesn't have to do anything but express his emotions, and the argument goes away.

But the elites in this country are screwed up. Look at the chaos they have brought down on the Progressive Conservatives of Ontario.

My question is: why isn't this 'in politics'?

Sorry, I've wasted too many keystrokes on the troll already. There is no 'good faith' in him. It isn't an honest exchange. It's a waste of time.

When he has a point, I'll respond.
paulalexdij

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could only watch the first twenty minutes ... it is all too sad ... i cannot understand how tptb have permitted this problem to fester for so long ... how are the dealers able to operate so easily???
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good questions. Here's something our native brothers are doing.

Quote:
Indigenous Communities Across Canada Move to Banish Drug Dealers
March 20, 2017 by Red Power Media, Staff

The Atikamekw community of Obedjiwan, located about 600 kilometres north of Montreal, uses banishment.

The controversial tactic of banishment is catching on in Indigenous communities across Canada.

Fighting rampant drug use, advocates say the tool should be used against drug dealers.

Bobby Cameron, the regional chief for the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, is among many prominent figures publicly endorsing the strategy.

He estimates in Saskatchewan alone, 10 First Nations communities have implemented a banishment policy for individuals suspected of dealing drugs.

Bobby Cameron says banishment can be used as one of several approaches to addressing drug abuse on reserves. (Adam Hunter/CBC)

“And there are many more who have begun the discussion.”

Trina Roache, the Atlantic correspondent for APTN National News, says it’s difficult to tackle criminal behaviour in small communities because going to the authorities is risky.

“People don’t want to go forward because they’re going to be labelled as a rat,” Roache tells Anna Maria Tremonti.

“When [dealers] are charged, they come back, and sometimes the case can fall apart because there’s that intimidation factor.”

And Cameron says drug dealers and gangs on reserves are targeting children as young 10.

He goes on to explain that the terms of banishment vary between communities. But typically banishment would apply to individuals charged with drug dealing, and those who are banished may return to the community after a few years if they demonstrate rehabilitation.

‘Banishment is not new … For hundreds of years, long before any government set foot on these ancestral lands — there was banishment.’ – Bobby Cameron

But Cameron stresses banishment is one tool among many that should be used in fighting drug abuse on reserves.

He says resources for treatment, education about the impacts of addiction, and ownership of the Indigenous justice system are also crucial.

And communities that want to use banishment may meet legal hurdles. There are concerns the policy could be challenged under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

But Hadley Friedland, a professor of law at the University of Alberta, says this may be an opportunity to refine the relationship between the Canadian legal system and Indigenous law.

“We’ll start seeing successes, and it will be a great springboard for conversations about implementing Indigenous laws and making Indigenous communities safe.”

“We need to look the other way as well, and say ‘what have we created that makes drug dealers find First Nations such an enclave to go to?’ We don’t want First Nations carrying that load for of all Canadian society.”
https://redpowermedia.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/indigenous-communities-across-canada-move-to-banish-drug-dealers/

The gentle reader should understand that, in tribal societies, the community is defined by and organized through kinship, with an interface with the bureaucracy. These people are banishing their cousins, brothers, sisters, and so on. It's not a trivial thing -- in fact, in traditional kinship societies, being banished in one short of capital punishment.

In the traditional society, being alone in the woods often meant a short life. But in our time, it means dumping their problems on the greater society.

Jump to: