Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advance Voting Numbers Down Slightly in Melfort Riding

 Print

 Category: Local News  Published: Wednesday, 28 February 2018 14:14  Written by Tyler Bieber

Advance voting numbers were down nearly 300 ballots in the Melfort constituency, as voters head to the polls to elect a new Member of the Legislative Assembly.

A total of 1,269 ballots were cast over five days - down from the 1,550 cast during the general election in 2016.

Elections Saskatchewan is reporting that typically they do see lower numbers for by-elections.

In the two Saskatoon by-elections held in 2017, percentages were down around 15% from the general election.

Election day takes place on Thursday for the Melfort riding, as well as a pair of other by-elections in Swift Current and Kindersley.

Swift Current had the highest advance voting turnout with over 1,600 taking part, while Kindersley came in below Melfort at just over 1,100 voters.

Nominated for the Sask Party is Todd Goudy. Lorne Schroeder represents the New Democrats on the Melfort ballot, while Shawn Setyo has his name standing for the Green Party.

By-election voter turnout

February 23: 279
February 24: 243
February 25: 205
February 26: 251
February 27: 291

https://discoverhumboldt.com/local/advance-voting-down-from-general-election-in-melfort-riding
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big advance voting numbers recorded in Swift Current byelection

 Category: Local News  Published: Thursday, 01 March 2018 05:00  Written by David Zammit

Four candidates vying for Swift Current MLA (photo courtesy of Elections Saskatchewan)

It's a big day in Swift Current for politics as a new MLA will be named tonight.

While the majority of votes will be cast sometime today, Elections Saskatchewan is reporting 1,620 ballots were submitted during the five-day advance voting period.

Tim Kydd, a spokesperson for Elections Saskatchewan, said the amount of advance votes in the Swift Current constituency is the most ever recorded.

"The Swift Current Mall has been very busy with advance voting," he said. "I was there on Friday and we had a good flow of people coming through getting their ballots cast. Advance voting has become more of a convenience for people to chose the day and time they want to go, as opposed to waiting to the last day to vote."

In the 2016 general election, roughly 1,300 ballots were cast ahead of time in Swift Current, which was the previous high.

Also during the 2016 general election, the Swift Current constituency had the highest turnout of all the 61 constituencies with just over 60 per cent of the registered voters voting, something Kydd hopes the residents of the city will do again for the byelection.

"Byelections and general elections are the opportunity that voters have to have a say who's going to be their elected representative," he explained. "It's an opportunity to vote, usually it's every four years in a general election, but sometimes byelections come up and there is an opportunity there to come out and have your say and have your voice heard."

The four candidates on the Swift Current ballot include the NDP's Stefan Rumpel, Sask Party's Everett Hindley, Liberal's Adian Roy, and Green Party's Maria Lewans.

Voting closes tonight at 8 p.m.

https://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/local/big-advance-voting-numbers-recorded-in-swift-current-byelection
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the sask party won all 3 ridings by massive margins , ndp were distant second in all 3 )

Saskatchewan Party claims all 3 ridings in byelection

Saskatoon / 650 CKOM

CKOM News

March 01, 2018 09:38 pm

Saskatchewan Party claims all 3 ridings in byelection
Three SaskParty candidates won byelections Mar. 1, 2018. Ken Francis (left) for Kindersley, Everett Hindley (centre) for Swift Current and Todd Goudy (left) in Melfort. (SaskParty.com)

The faces will be different, but the Saskatchewan Party will still represent people in Kindersley, Swift Current and Melfort following landslide wins in Thursday’s byelections.

Ken Francis collected 88.1 per cent of the vote to replace longtime MLA Bill Boyd in Kindersley after he resigned last August.

Everett Hindley was elected in Swift Current, the riding former premier Brad Wall represented for nearly 20 years.

Todd Goudy will be the MLA for Melfort with 78.5 per cent of the votes. The riding lost its representation last November when Kevin Phillips died suddenly.

http://www.ckom.com/2018/03/01.....yelection/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goudy elected as new MLA

By Greg Wiseman, Journal

Friday, March 2, 2018 12:08:28 CST AM

MELFORT - Melfort has a new MLA, and he has a new green tie to wear.

Saskatchewan Party representative Todd Goudy was elected Thursday night with (unofficially) 78.5 per cent of the 4,168 votes cast in the by-election.

During Goudy’s celebration speech April Phillips, the wife of recently deceased MLA Kevin Phillips, presented the new MLA with one of her husband’s green ties.

That moment she presented the tie to Goudy was one of the best parts of the night.

“I was learning from Kevin and looking up to Kevin and for April to give me Kevin’s tie just made this night complete,” he said as the final results came in.

“To have April’s blessing means the world to me. Whenever there is a green tie to be worn I will be wearing Kevin’s tie if I can.”

The newly minted MLA who had a total of 3,270 votes, admits there will be a steep learning curve with his new position, but knows there are a lot of mentors in his corner looking to help him out.

Some Saskatchewan Party MLAs from nearby constituencies went with Goudy during the 28-day campaign. Speaking with those veteran representatives was helpful for Goudy, but he said watching them in action was much more educational.

“It has been great to hear from them, but better to watch as they have been here interacting with people from our constituency, real engagement. They have good ears,” Goudy said.

When he was selected at the Sask. Party nomination meeting in late January Goudy said he had his training wheels on. And now that the has been elected an MLA, he admits they are still there.

“I have a lot to learn and I have the best people to learn it from.”

A big boost for Goudy was having Premier Scott Moe by his side as the results of the ballot counting started to trickle in.

Moe said the first thing the party is going to do is set their new team member up with an office so people of the Melfort Constituency can contact him as an MLA.

And it won’t be long before the rookie is put to work.

“We are going to be down in Regina starting on March 12, the session starts and so he will be right into it,” Moe said following a brief celebration speech.

“He’ll be busy starting from right now,” he added with a laugh looking at his watch.

The unofficial results have NDP candidate Lorne Schroeder coming in second with 19.4 per cent of the ballots cast, a total of 809 votes. Shawn Setyo, leader of the Saskatchewan Green Party, placed third with 1.8 percent of the ballots cast, 77 votes. There were 12 ballots rejected, about 0.3 per cent.

Although not elected to a seat Schroeder doesn’t see the by-election result as a loss.

He knew it would be difficult to win the spot in the Melfort Constituency, but through campaigning he heard a lot of encouragement for the future.

“We met a lot of new people. There are a lot of people coming forward and wanting to get engaged and rebuild this party from the grassroots up. We have some exciting plans, we have some new ideas for a platform to rejuvenate rural Saskatchewan. Some exciting things that I think will really make a difference,” he said while cleaning up the campaign office in Melfort.

“There are good people here and people that have common sense and when the facts are presented in a positive fashion, a truthful and honest fashion, I think that we will be able to win the day two years from now.”

Schroeder congratulated Goudy on the win and is looking forward to working with him.

He is also looking forward to growing the relationships which were seeded during the by-election campaign.

Setyo was not surprised at the results of the by-election.

While campaigning on the day of the election Setyo spent some time in James Smith and said he made some progress with First nations voters.

“It’s one of the first times the Greens has ever done that, going into reserves so I think we made a lot of inroads in the community and our experience with rural ridings,” he said.

The province’s First Nation voters are a group Setyo expects to spend more time with in two years when the next general election takes place.

While in James Smith he heard of a “disengagement” between First Nations and the whole political system. That is something he hopes the Green Party can help with.

“Engaging with First Nations is going to be a top priority coming up. Hopefully the Greens - through conversations, through one-on-one meetings, through going to the communities and speaking with elders and speaking with councils and speaking with residents there - can build relations and try to figure out what the issues are and come up with solutions for them in the next platform.”

In the by-election about 34 per cent of eligible voters came out to cast their ballot.

http://www.melfortjournal.com/.....as-new-mla
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A step forward for the NDP in byelection defeat

 Category: Local News  Published: Friday, 02 March 2018 00:43  Written by David Zammit

Stefan Rumpel speaking to his NDP supports late Thursday night. (Photo by David Zammit)

Not the result the NDP's Stefan Rumpel was hoping for Thursday night in the Swift Current byelection, but it was a step forward for the party.

The first time NDP candidate was able to improve the party's support from 2016 of 15 per cent of the vote to 24 per cent in this byelection.

After finding out that Saskatchewan Party's Everett Hindley had been named Swift Current's new MLA, Rumpel said the cold weather campaigning took a bit of a toll on him but in the end, it was well worth it.

"It's obviously a lot of emotions at once," he said. "That group [the NDP supports and NDP team at Houston Pizza] in that room, any disappointment I might have been feeling at this moment is just washed, they're amazing people. The people of Swift Current are amazing people... The momentum from this campaign, I can't see it stopping anytime soon."

Rumpel's goal was 30 per cent of the vote, which he was unable to attain, but he was still excited with the leap in votes noting that this is one of the toughest seats to win in the province with Premier and Sask Party MLA Brad Wall holding it for nearly two decades.

"I think it was great that we were able to push it forward like that and we were able to move it up, obviously you want to push it further everytime," he said. "That we were able to move that far in one moment speaks volumes."

The Swift Current resident plans to be back as the NDP candidate for the 2020 general election.

"I didn't go into this to go in half-heartedly," Rumpel explained before continuing on. "I didn't take a leave and have my students be without me to not continue on. It's for them, it's for my family, it's for my community. If I were to back down after all this momentum has been built and all this faith in who I am, that would be a huge disservice to this community."

Rumpel believes one of the biggest factors in the loss was around misinformation on his party's stance on the carbon tax, as the Saskatchewan Party claims the NDP supports it.

https://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/local/a-step-forward-for-the-ndp-in-byelection-defeat
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett Hindley on becoming Swift Current's new MLA (with video)

 Category: Local News  Published: Friday, 02 March 2018 00:20  Written by Andrew McCormack

Everett Hindley is the new MLA for Swift Current (photo by Andrew McCormack)

The Saskatchewan Party's Everett Hindley took home 73.4 per cent of the votes in the Swift Current provincial byelection, and he attributes a lot of that to the team that helped him in his campaign.

Hindley, who was a long-time assistant to Brad Wall (who retired in late January as premier and Swift Current MLA), said it could take a bit for it to sink in that he is once again employed.

"I don't know if it's completely sunk in yet, it might take a little while for that. But, you know, I'm just so happy for our team of volunteers. We had a great team here. We talked about having 70-plus people helping out in this campaign, and that means a lot."

In his victory speech, Hindley thanked the NDP's Stefan Rumpel, who came second (with 24.2 per cent of the votes), the Green Party's Maria Lewans, who came third (1.3 per cent), and the Liberal's Aidan Roy, who came fourth (1 per cent), for the competition.

"In addition to the volunteers, I want to thank the other candidates," said Hindley in front of a packed crowd in his office, which he'll start to tear down tomorrow. "We had a race here in Swift Current. We had four candidates; four good candidates running here, and there were a lot of different colours of signs up around town this time, and I know that motivated our team and got them all out on the doors. So thank you to the other candidates. It's something else to put your name and your face out there on the ballot and to run for politics, whether it's federally, provincially, municipally, the school board, it takes a lot to step out there."

At the campaign office, a number of other notable Saskatchewan Party figures were in attendance, including Wall, cabinet ministers Gord Wyant, Jeremy Harrison, and David Marit, as well as Doug Steele.

Legislature goes back to session on March 12, so Hindley figures what's coming up in the next little while won't be much of a breather compared to when he started his campaign to represent the Saskatchewan Party in the byelection on October 2.

Hindley said once a new speaker is named come the next session, they'll probably pass three bills on the first day announcing the three new MLAs determined in the byelections (he is joined by two other Saskatchewan Party members: Ken Francis in Kindersley and Todd Goudy in Melfort

https://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/local/everett-hindley-on-becoming-swift-current-s-new-mla-with-video

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: