Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Greg Selinger to step down as Manitoba ndp mla Reply with quote

( maybe not a huge surprise that he's leaving , as former premiers usually don't stick around long once they've lost . this will also trigger a by election in the normally safe ndp riding of St Boniface in Winnipeg )

Former premier Greg Selinger to step down from office on March 7

CBC News Posted: Feb 20, 2018 11:36 AM CT| Last Updated: Feb 20, 2018 11:57 AM CT

Greg Selinger says his formal resignation as member of the legislature in Manitoba will be effective March 7.

Former Manitoba premier Greg Selinger is set to step down as member of the legislature for St. Boniface next month.

The announcement comes a week after NDP Leader Wab Kinew asked Selinger to resign in the wake of inappropriate touching allegations against former MLA Stan Struthers.

Struthers, who was a cabinet minister in Selinger's government, has apologized after five women, including a former NDP cabinet colleague, accused him of several instances of inappropriate touching dating back at least eight years.

Two more women have come forward since the initial story was published by CBC.

Last week, Selinger expressed sympathy for the women who came forward and said he must take responsibility for what happened under his leadership. However, he said he wasn't ready to relinquish his role as MLA, despite the request from Kinew.

Selinger's full statement

A week ago I held a media availability to apologize to the women who were the victims of sexual harassment by one of our former MLAs — the member from Dauphin — during my time as premier and leader of the NDP. The focus properly should have been on hearing their voices. It wasn't and I want to apologize for contributing to that.

Also a week ago I stated that I was interested in a transition strategy from being an elected member of the legislature back to being a citizen subject to meeting with the constituency executive. That has happened and today I can confirm that it is my plan to retire as the member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba for St. Boniface. I want to thank the constituency executive for their support and advice. It has been a privilege and an honour to serve the citizens of St. Boniface and I wish to thank them for their encouragement to continue. I will cherish the experience forever.

To my family, your commitment, love, and views have made it all worthwhile. Over the next two weeks my staff and I will put the ongoing work of the constituents of St. Boniface in order. The formal resignation date will be March 7.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4543354
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

February 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Greg Selinger stepping down as MLA

By Sharon Pfeifer and Tamara Forlanski Global News

Former Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger announced Tuesday he will be leaving the legislature.

Just last week, Selinger said he had no plan to step down despite having been asked to do so by NDP leader Wab Kinew.

The pressure has been on the St. Boniface MLA to step down after he admitted he knew about allegations about Stan Struthers’ inappropriate behaviour. Struthers served as one of Selinger’s cabinet ministers.

On Feb. 13, Selinger admitted Kinew asked him to step down but said he had no plans to do so.

“He proposed that as one alternative, the other was to cancel this press conference. I told him that I thought it was really important that we make this statement,” Selinger said last week.

On Tuesday, Selinger issued a release saying he would be resigning as of March 7.

“A week ago I stated that I was interested in a transition strategy from being an elected member of the legislature back to being a citizen subject to meeting with the constituency executive. That has happened and today I can confirm that it is my plan to retire as the Member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba for St. Boniface,” Selinger said.

Selinger will speak to media from his office at 12:30.

Global News will aim to livestream the press conference on this web page

https://globalnews.ca/news/4035909/greg-selinger-stepping-down-as-mla/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byelection battle brewing: St. B riding a hot commodity after Selinger's resignation

Dan Lett By: Dan Lett

Posted: 02/20/2018 8:27 PM | Comments: 79

THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods

Former Manitoba NDP Leader and Premier Greg Selinger speaks to media.

For some, it was a week too late. For others, more than three years overdue. Either way, former premier Greg Selinger finally decided it was time to step down from provincial politics.

Confirmed on the first day back from a long weekend, Selinger’s announcement he would resign his seat in the legislature March 7 was more anti-climactic than anything.

In many ways, this was a decision years in the making. In 2015, he was attacked from within by five dissident cabinet ministers who wanted him to step down. He refused and was ultimately rebuked by voters in the April 2016 general election. More recently, he has been drawn into the sexual harassment scandal swirling around former cabinet colleague Stan Struthers. Add it all up, and you can see how it was only a matter of time.

It is too early to fully assess the impact of Selinger’s departure on the NDP and the other parties that are licking their chops at the possibility of competing in a byelection to fill his St. Boniface seat. It is not a stretch to say this byelection may be among the most hotly contested in the province’s recent political history.

We have no clear indication yet from Premier Brian Pallister about when the byelection will take place. But this will be a battle in which all three major political parties will be able to see a legitimate path to victory.

The NDP has little to rely on entering the byelection in St. Boniface. It is a party accused of tolerating sexual harassment. It is led by a man who is dogged by allegations of domestic abuse. It’s not particularly well-funded. That’s hardly a recipe for electoral success.

If the NDP has anything going for it, it’s desperation. It can’t afford to lose the riding if it hopes to remain relevant to voters in the 2020 election. And desperation can be a powerful motivator for volunteers and fundraisers — two things every successful political campaign must have.

There is little advance intelligence on who exactly will pursue the St. Boniface nomination. NDP sources say Leader Wab Kinew would prefer to see several prospective candidates selling memberships and duking it out for the nomination. Insiders believe books of membership forms are already being summoned from the party’s Winnipeg headquarters.

The NDP may find its desperation nearly matched by newly elected Manitoba Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont, who doesn’t hold a seat in the legislature. There is legitimate hope in the provincial Gritdom that Lamont could make some real noise, particularly if the federal Liberal machine that helped MP Dan Vandal get elected decides to lend a hand.

It’s also important to note this may be Lamont’s only real shot at competing for a seat before the next election. Ideally, he would have loved to run in River Heights, but there are no credible signs Jon Gerrard, the Liberal that currently holds the seat, is willing to step aside. St. Boniface is Lamont’s big moment.

The governing Progressive Conservatives will also have a legitimate shot at the Winnipeg riding. The Tories still have a difficult time accepting they lost in St. Boniface in 2016 to the leader of a dysfunctional political party that had only months earlier gutted itself in a nearly unprecedented display of bitter infighting. Tories told themselves that if there was ever going to an opportunity for them to claim St. Boniface, it would have been then.

But Selinger won, and rather comfortably. He did lose significant ground against both the PCs and the Liberals. Could the governing Tories use that experience, and the absence of an NDP incumbent, to break through in the byelection?

On the positive side of the equation, the Tories will have more money and other sophisticated resources than the other two parties. Although financial resources are perhaps a little less important in a byelection — where turnout is a fraction of what it is in general elections — it is still a significant advantage.

The Tories will also have the benefit of human resources that can be marshalled from surrounding constituencies, all of which turned blue in the last provincial election.

And thanks to the powers of the premier’s office, Pallister will have full control over the timing of the byelection. In the case of Point Douglas, the premier moved relatively quickly. Former NDP MLA Kevin Chief resigned in early January; Pallister scheduled a byelection in mid-June. If the premier follows that same process, a spring byelection will be in the offing.

It all seems positive enough for the Tories until you consider the byelection will likely come after the next provincial budget is tabled. Although there will be a good news budget at some point in the Tory timeline, it won’t be this year. Another big, heaping spoonful of Pallister austerity won’t do much to cultivate voter affection.

And if the NDP and Liberals are successful at making this byelection a referendum on the Pallister government’s controversial health-care reforms, a Tory byelection candidate could find him or herself swimming upstream the entire campaign.

Selinger likely should have stepped down months, if not years, ago. But he didn’t. And his parting gift to his party and the electorate will be one of the most fascinating, most competitive byelections in recent memory.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/byelection-battle-brewing-st-b-riding-a-hot-commodity-after-selingers-resignation-474655303.html
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selinger resignation opens big political door in Manitoba

Mid term byelection race a political test for all parties

By Sean Kavanagh, CBC News Posted: Feb 21, 2018 4:36 PM CT| Last Updated: Feb 21, 2018 5:35 PM CT

The race is on to replace longtime MLA and former premier Greg Selinger.

The resignation of NDP MLA Greg Selinger has likely quickened the pulse of many political types as the race to win a coveted seat in the Legislature begins.

Selinger's departure from the St. Boniface constituency opens a path for Manitoba Liberals to grab a desperately needed seat, puts stress on the New Democrats to keep their seat count and offers a chance to the Tories to reinforce their huge 2016 electoral win.

At least one possible candidates can quickly be struck off the list.

St. Boniface city councillor Matt Allard says he already has a job he loves and is officially not interested.

Matt Allard
Winnipeg Coun. Matt Allard will not run to replace Selinger. (CBC News)

"I am not planning to run for the NDP or any party, I am running for re-election for city council in St. Boniface," Allard told CBC News.

Liberal Party Leader Dougald Lamont wasn't so unequivocal.

"I am actively considering it. I have not made up my mind about whether it's going to happen or not. I have to talk to people in the community to see whether they want me," Lamont told reporters Tuesday.

However, Lamont, who is fluently bilingual, left the door open for other options.

Dougald Lamont
Liberal Party Leader Dougald Lamont says he is giving serious thought to the St. Boniface seat. (CBC News)

"We're certainly willing to entertain other candidates as well because I have always said it's the best candidate who matters and there might be some areas where there is a better candidate than me," Lamont said.

Alain Landry, who has run several times in St. Boniface, contacted RadioCanada Wednesday to say he was considering another shot at the seat.

Byelection sooner than later

An amendment to the province's Legislative Assembly Act brought in by the current Progressive Conservative government reduced the time a seat can remain empty to 180 days from a year .

Selinger has pegged his official departure as March 7, resulting in an election date to fill his seat no later than early September.

Progressive Conservative CEO Keith Stewart says there is interest from several people in running for the seat, and the party will open its candidate selection process shortly.

Mamadou Ka ran for the PCs in 2016, coming in second in the race. In an interview with CBC/Radio Canada the PC candidate who ran against Selinger in 2016 said he might run but isn't sure.

Stakes are higher for NDP, Liberals

Political scientist Roger Turenne says there is a lot at stake for two political parties: the NDP and the Liberals.

Turenne says Lamont "would be crazy" not to run in the byelection."

"He needs to make himself known and this is an excellent opportunity to make himself known and make the case for the Liberal Party, and he's really missing the boat if he's not a candidate,' Turenne told Radio-Canada.

The political observer says Lamont could lose and still win if he raises the vote count for the Liberals and raises his profile with voters in the process.

Turenne says the NDP's poor showing in the last election left them with a modest caucus of 14 members. They're now down to 13, and 12 when Selinger steps down.

"If they lose this one they will be down to 12 ... if they lose this one, this isn't a sign of a party on the upswing in the renewal, ready for prime time once again. So it would be a catastrophe if they lost it," Turenne said.

Turenne says the Progressive Conservatives haven't had much success provincially in the constituency so they have less to lose and byelections are traditionally not "friendly territory" for sitting governments.

He says Premier Brian Pallister would be smart to call the election fast, get it over with and start thinking about the general election.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4545498
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont, Tory candidate Mamadou Ka seek nomination in St. Boniface byelection

Ka ran and lost to Greg Selinger in 2016; Lamont lost run for St. Boniface in 2003

CBC News · Posted: Mar 28, 2018 10:34 AM CT | Last Updated: March 28

Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont has no seat in the legislature but will seek the nomination for the Liberals in the coming St. Boniface byelection. (John Einarson/CBC)

Four candidates have now announced bids to fill the seat in the St. Boniface riding recently left by NDP MLA Greg Selinger.

Manitoba Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont and Mamadou Ka announced Tuesday they hope to go toe-to-toe in the next byelection. Lamont will seek the nomination to represent St. Boniface for the Liberals, while Ka will seek the Progressive Conservative nomination for the riding.

They join two candidates who have previously said they intend to seek the NDP nomination: human-rights activist and educator Blandine Tona, and Festival du Voyageur board president and department of education advisor Simon Normandeau.

Mamadou Ka hopes to run for the Progressive Conservatives in the St. Boniface riding in the coming byelection. (CBC)

After a tight race, and despite not having already been elected an MLA for the party, Lamont edged out his closest competitor, Cindy Lamoureux, in October 2017 to become the leader of the Manitoba Liberals.

The bilingual Lamont, who ran for the Liberals in the Franco-Manitoban riding in the 2003 provincial election and lost to Selinger, says residents in the area have "strongly encouraged" him to run.

He vowed that if he wins the nomination and the election, he would create jobs, help lift the poor from poverty, invest in health care and work toward reconciliation with local Indigenous communities.

"I think things have been going in the wrong direction for a while and we want to make things better. That's what my campaign was about and that's what we want to do for St. Boniface as well for Manitoba," Lamont said.

Ka, an adjunct professor at the Université de Saint-Boniface, says he hasn't released a platform yet but plans to register to run for the Tory nomination.

Ka ran in St. Boniface in the spring 2016 provincial election and lost by 1,000 votes to Selinger.

"I tried once, I failed and it was a very good and nice experience, and was rewarding," he said. "I want to try again."

•Former Manitoba premier Greg Selinger says farewell to political life
•Selinger resignation opens big political door in Manitoba

In February, former Manitoba premier Selinger apologized and then resigned under pressure from current NDP Leader Wab Kinew after allegations of past sexual misconduct against former MLA Stan Struthers came to light.

Struthers resigned in 2016 but allegedly inappropriately touched several women during his time as an MLA while Selinger was leading the party.

The NDP have enjoyed majority support in St. Boniface for several years, but that hasn't always been the case.

Prior to Selinger's nearly 20-year reign as MLA for the riding, the position was held by former Manitoba Liberal interim-leader Neil Gaudry for more than a decade. Selinger was elected after Gaudry died in 1999.

"It's been a riding that has been strongly Liberal as well," Lamont said.

"[Gaudry] was beloved there, and I think that people who are looking for a progressive and practical alternative to what's on offer will see that the Liberals are the best choice."

Complaint from former Liberal staffer

Lamont is also fighting a human rights complaint filed by a new mother he dismissed shortly after becoming leader last fall.

Elizabeth Gonsalves, a former caucus researcher, said she was on medical leave after suffering post-partum depression when Lamont informed her she was being let go. Gonsalves said the party did not support her recovery or her plans to return to work.

"Mr. Lamont said that he did not think it would be right to give me any 'special treatment,'" Gonsalves wrote in her complaint. "He said it was not a good decision to keep me employed."

Lamont said Gonsalves was not discriminated against, but was dismissed along with another staffer as is often the case when a new leader is elected. Gonsalves and the other person were political staff, not members of the civil service.

Lamont also said the party had Gonsalves's best interest in mind, because terminating her at that time entitled her to a larger severance package.

"We had done everything we could for her and ... I wanted to make sure she got the most generous severance possible," Lamont said.

One political analyst said Lamont is running the risk of tarnishing his image within the party by running in the NDP stronghold.

"He has actually gotten himself in a race that he will have a really hard time winning, and he'll end up paying consequences — if not the leadership — it'll hurt him," said Royce Koop, who teaches political studies at the University of Manitoba. "It'll weaken him a lot."

An Elections Manitoba spokesperson confirmed the province hasn't set a date for the byelection, and no candidates have yet registered.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4596660
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manitoba byelection called in St. Boniface, riding of former NDP premier Greg Selinger

Candidates include Liberal Dougald Lamont, New Democrat Blandine Tona, Progressive Conservative Mamadou Ka

CBC News · Posted: Jun 19, 2018 3:03 PM CT | Last Updated: June 19

Liberal Dougald Lamont, Progressive Conservative Mamadou Ka and New Democrat Blandine Tona are the candidates in the July 17 byelection for MLA in the St. Boniface constituency. (CBC)

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister called a byelection Tuesday for the St. Boniface seat in Winnipeg — a long-time NDP stronghold that the Liberals hope to steal with their new leader.

The July 17 vote will fill a seat that has been vacant since former NDP premier Greg Selinger resigned in March. Selinger held the constituency with strong voter support since 1999, although the area voted Liberal prior to that and is represented federally by the Liberals.

One political analyst said the mid-summer contest is likely to attract low voter turnout and the Opposition NDP, represented by Blandine Tona, likely has an edge.

"The NDP, with an organized labour workforce and some core supporters in the constituency from the days of Greg Selinger ... should have an advantage on the organizational level," said Paul Thomas, professor emeritus of political studies at the University of Manitoba.

The Liberals have the most to gain in the byelection. Dougald Lamont, elected party leader last year, is running and a win would give the Liberals a fourth legislature seat — enough for official party status and the funding that comes with it.

"That would gain them some resources, that would give them some profile," Thomas said.

The Progressive Conservatives are being represented by Mamadou Ka, who ran for the seat in the last election and finished second behind Selinger with 25 per cent of the vote.

•Mamadou Ka wins PC nomination in St. Boniface for upcoming byelection
•Manitoba NDP choose activist Blandine Tona for St. Boniface byelection

The Green Party, which garnered 12 per cent of the vote in 2016, has nominated Francoise Therrien Vrignon this time.

Both the Liberals and NDP are working to show voters they have rebounded from the 2016 election, Thomas said.

The NDP won a byelection in the Winnipeg constituency of Point Douglas — a party stronghold — last year, but it was by the slimmest margin in that seat in decades. The party has struggled to raise money and only paid off its election debt at the end of last year.

The Liberals also face financial hurdles and recently saw five key members resign, including the party president, fundraising director and election readiness chairperson.

The byelection outcome will have little or no effect on the Tory majority in the legislature. The governing party has 39 seats, the NDP has 12, the Liberals have three and there are two Independents.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-byelection-st-boniface-1.4713049

Jump to: