Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      


Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 10027
Reputation: 321.1Reputation: 321.1
votes: 3
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Alleged attack of Hijab wearing girl didn't happen police Reply with quote

( Canadians were terrified to learn of an attack on a young muslim girl in Toronto last week but now it appears the entire event didn't happen , police aren't calling it a hoax but what else was it ? )

Alleged attack on hijab-wearing girl didn’t happen: Police


Joshua Freeman, CP24.com
Published Monday, January 15, 2018 10:49AM EST
Last Updated Monday, January 15, 2018 11:54AM EST

After investigating an incident where an 11-year-old girl alleged a man cut off her hijab on her way to school last week, police now say the event does not appear to have happened.

On Jan. 12, the girl told police that she was on her way to Pauline Johnson Junior Public School in Scarborough when a man dressed in black came up behind her. She said the man pulled off the hood to her jacket and cut off her hijab with a pair of scissors before fleeing the area.

Toronto police responded and said they were investigating the alleged incident as a hate crime.

However police said Monday morning that after a thorough investigation, they don’t believe the incident happened.

“There was an extensive investigation Friday and over the weekend and quite simply investigators came to the conclusion, considering all the evidence they had, that what was described did not happen,” police spokesman Mark Pugash said.

Pugash declined to call the incident a hoax, but said police now consider the investigation closed.

“I think we did absolutely what people would expect, which is we don’t jump to conclusions. We work on evidence and we invested a lot of time and a lot of effort over a fairly short period of time,” Pugash said. “I think we owe it to everybody to examine particularly serious allegations in a detailed way and that’s what we did.”

No one was arrested and there are no charges pending on connection with the investigation, he said.

Safwan Choudhry, a spokesperson for the Muslim group Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama`at Canada, told CP24 that he’s thankful police investigated the matter properly.

“We’re relieved to learn that this attack never took place,” Choudhry said.

He said while it’s concerning to learn that the incident was not real, he was nevertheless encouraged by the response from Canadians last week.

“We’re very proud of the way the country as a whole and society at large came out to speak out against hate crimes,” he said.

On Friday, representatives from all levels of government issued statements decrying the alleged attack and rallying behind the girl, who came out to speak to television crews.

There was no indication from police or school officials as to why the girl would have made up the story if it did not happen.

“We are very thankful that this assault did not in fact happen. We won’t be commenting further,” the Toronto District School Board said in a short statement.


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 10027
Reputation: 321.1Reputation: 321.1
votes: 3
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the start this story sounded fishy

first off there was never any sort of detailed suspect description given , no video footage of attack , no eye witnesses ( either neighbours or people driving by ) , no reports anyone intervened to stop attack , we never even got to see the hijab itself or how it was supposedly damaged

all the media had was the story girl told herself and they ran with it anyways and made it front page news

Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 10027
Reputation: 321.1Reputation: 321.1
votes: 3
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUREY: Hijab hoax girl, family owe Canadians an apology

Anthony Furey

January 15, 2018

January 15, 2018 1:45 PM EST

Filed Under:

Toronto SUN ›
Opinion ›
Columnists ›

It was the assault that pulled on the heartstrings of a nation.

Khawlah Noman’s story of being attacked not once but twice by a man in his 20s who used scissors to cut her hijab garnered responses from coast-to-coast.

The media seized upon this troubling tale as camera crews rushed to her Scarborough school for a press conference several hours after the Friday morning assault happened.

“I felt really scared and confused,” Noman said as part of a broader statement, explaining she screamed and the man ran away, only to return again. “He continued cutting my hijab again.”

Noman was flanked by her young brother, who witnessed the despicable act, and her mother – who was in tears.

The public sentiments were like a deluge: they came fast and they came strong. Toronto Mayor John Tory. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. They all issued statements. “Canada is an open and welcoming country,” posted Trudeau, “and incidents like this cannot be tolerated.”

The Toronto Sun featured the story on the front page. My colleague Lorrie Goldstein posted the following sentiment that I agreed with and retweeted: “One can only imagine how terrified this innocent child must have been to have been attacked twice by the same man in the space of a few minutes. Appalling.”

Toronto Sun front page on Jan. 13, 2018.

I thought at the time that everyone falling over themselves was a bit too much. The suspect had not yet been found. Maybe things weren’t quite as they were portrayed. And, besides, people are unfortunately assaulted daily in this country and the overly political response to this one implied that assaulting a girl in a hijab was somehow worse and more deserving of censure than assaulting one without.

But even if the response was overkill, the basic idea of a girl being randomly attacked while walking to school was still worthy of our condemnation. It’s not like it would turn out to be a hoax. Right? Wrong.

On Monday, Toronto Police issued the following brief statement. “After a detailed investigation, police have determined that the events described did not happen,” it read. “Our investigation is concluded and we don’t expect anything further.”

It did not happen. It was a hoax. Well then that statement just doesn’t cut it. While police may not be expecting anything further, Canadians certainly will be.

The outpouring of public support this girl received shows Canadians are compassionate people. They take allegations of this type of intolerance seriously. Yet their generosity was abused.

There are too many questions remaining for the cops to leave it like this. Last August, police considered charging a man in Durham Region for misleading them about a false Islamophobia complaint. Section 140 of the Criminal Code covers public mischief. It says that “making a false statement that accuses some other person of having committed and offence” could see you locked up for up to five years. They even arrested a homeless man in the case, only to later find the complainant’s story didn’t add up.

Khawlah Noman, 11, is accompanied by her brother Mohammad Zakarijja and their mom Saima Samad as she recalls a man slicing her hijab as she and her sibling walked to Pauline Johnson Public School in Scarborough on Friday, Jan. 12, 2018.

Now Khawlah Noman is an 11-year-old, so would not be charged. But what did her mother know? Watching the girl’s video statement again, the girl’s words look well-prepared. It must be asked, given what we now know: Was she coached?

“Heartwarming note: A friend gave her another hijab to wear,” CBC reporter Ali Chiasson tweeted from the press conference. “The one she was wearing with the 12 inch gash is with police as evidence.”

What does this element now mean? Did someone fabricate evidence? That would make it so much worse.

One sad outcome of this story is that decent, fair-minded Canadians whose hearts went out to this girl may look at the next such attack with suspicion. And that one could be real.

The family, the police and the school board owe us an explanation. And Khawlah Noman and her family owe Canada an apology.


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 10027
Reputation: 321.1Reputation: 321.1
votes: 3
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FATAH: A hijabi hoax that fooled Canada

Tarek Fatah

January 16, 2018

January 16, 2018 7:31 AM EST

Filed Under:

Toronto SUN ›
Opinion ›
Columnists ›

Khawlah Noman, 11, is accompanied by her brother Mohammad Zakarijja and their mom Saima Samad as she recalls a man slicing her hijab as she and her sibling walked to Pauline Johnson Public School in Scarborough on Friday, Jan. 12, 2018.Stan Behal/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network

The moment the first pictures appeared of 11-year-old Khowlah Noman at a press conference, flanked by her mother in niqab and a Muslim activist from Mississauga, I knew there was something not right.

Khowlah’s story that an Asian man cut her hijab with scissors was a physical impossibility.

To cut the hijab with scissors through the winter jacket was only possible if the jacket was completely removed. This was not the case. There was obviously more to it than met the eye, but not for our bleeding-heart, guilt-ridden politicians, hungry for the Muslim vote bank in some pockets of Toronto.

Within hours, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appeared with his Muslim Citizenship Minister Ahmed Hussen to validate the yet unsubstantiated story of a Muslim being attacked because of her religion.

Toronto Mayor John Tory and Premier Kathleen Wynne, both facing elections, joined the chorus of condemnation, without waiting for any police confirmation about whether a crime had been committed.

Now Toronto Police say the alleged attack on an 11-year-old girl wearing a hijab last week was a hoax. In other words, the hijabi girl and her brother simply made up the story.

We still don’t know enough whether this incident was orchestrated to further entrench the sense of victimhood among Canada’s Muslims or if it was a tale made up by the 11-year-old girl to cover up some other incident.

Khawlah Noman isn’t the first Muslim girl to pull off such a hoax, but she surely must be the youngest to do so.

In December 2016, the hijabi-wearing Yasmin Seweid, 18, was arrested for filing a false police report. She had claimed three Donald Trump supporters in New York attacked her and that she was called a “terrorist” on a subway train.

Sources told London’s Daily Mail, Yasmin Seweid had made up the story to cover up for a late night out drinking with friends.

Then there was the incident on Nov. 11, 2016, when a Muslim student made up allegations that a white man told her to remove her hijab else he would set her on fire. The attack near the University of Michigan campus was cited as an example of a spike in hate crimes in the wake of Donald Trump’s presidential victory.
related linksFUREY: Hijab hoax girl, family owe Canadians an apology
Hijab attack claim a hoax: Toronto cops
‘He was smiling’: Girl, 11, recounts man slicing hijab with scissors

The police determined her story wasn’t true.

Which brings us back to the central question: Why are 11-year-old girls wearing the hijab? We are a society that accommodates all, but not the Swastika or the KKK cone hat, but when it comes to the flag of the fascist Muslim Brotherhood, the hijab, we give it the benefit of the doubt.

Writing in these columns, I have stated empathically that the hijab has nothing to do with Islam as a religion. It is not sanctioned anywhere in the Qur’an, the fundamental text of Islam, or even in the dubious Hadith (traditions) attributed to Prophet Muhammad 100 years after his death.

Sad, that at a time when Muslim women in Iran are risking their lives to tear off their hijabs, Canada is becoming a place where little girls are being used to carry the burden of Islamism on their heads.

Amir Taheri, the Iranian-born author and expert on Islamic issues wrote an extensive piece on the phenomenon of the hijab for the New York Post in 2003.

According to Taheri, “This fake Islamic hijab is nothing but a political prop, a weapon of visual terrorism. It is the symbol of a totalitarian ideology inspired more by Nazism and Communism than by Islam. It is as symbolic of Islam as the Mao uniform was of Chinese civilization.”

Many Muslim Canadians, both men and women would agree with Taheri that the hijab “is a sign of support for extremists who wish to impose their creed, first on Muslims, and then on the world through psychological pressure, violence, terror, and, ultimately, war.”

If Canada’s politicians continue to rely on the advice of Islamists who seem to have a presence in all parties, Mullahs and their secular Muslim nationalist allies will blind them to the reality on the ground, in the madrassahs and the presence of Islamist groups in our school system.

As a first step, ban the burka in all of Canada’s public places. That will be the shot across the bow needed to warn those who seek our destruction that we will fight on the proverbial beaches even if our politicians cuddle up to warmth of the hijab and niqab.


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 10027
Reputation: 321.1Reputation: 321.1
votes: 3
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the news conference itself was highly unusual and raises a lot of questions , its also unheard of for a victim of crime under 18 to be publically identified after a crime is reported , why was the girl identified and put before all these camera's ? )

An attacker did not cut her hijab, police say. But why did the TDSB let the girl face the cameras?

The TDSB asked the girl’s family if they wanted to “join her when she spoke to media,” a spokesperson said Monday. “It (was) completely their decision.”

News 06:08 AM by Fatima Syed and Jenna Moon Toronto Star Hamilton Spectator|


TDSB spokesperson Shari Schwartz-Maltz, left, stands with a girl after she alleged her hijab was cut by an adult man while on her way to school Friday. Police have since determined that didn't happen - Toronto Star

Days after an 11-year-old girl alleged that a man cut her hijab, twice, Toronto police have concluded that the events "did not happen."

In a statement released Monday, the police, who had been investigating the alleged incident involving the Grade 6 student at Pauline Johnson Junior Public School as a hate crime, said the investigation is now concluded.

But why, less than four hours after the initial police report, did the Toronto District School Board let the tearful 11-year-old girl — with her mother, grandmother, 10-year-old brother and Shari Schwartz-Maltz, TDSB manager for media relations and issues management, standing close by — face television cameras and throngs of reporters who broadcast and tweeted her extraordinary story to national, and international, attention?

Even if the attack had happened, the appearance would have been unusual, as victims of crime under the age of 18 are traditionally not identified by police or the media, let alone put before cameras.

The Star has chosen not to name the girl.

Schwartz-Maltz did not respond to the Star's questions on Monday.

Speaking to the Star on behalf of the TDSB, Ryan Bird, manager of corporate and social media relations, said the girl and her family were concerned Friday about being approached by media on their way out of the school. The family were also worried that the attacker was still at large, he said.

The family was asked by Schwartz-Maltz if they wanted to "join her when she spoke to media," Bird said. "It (was) completely their decision."

Bird said he could not comment on the conversation between Schwartz-Maltz and the girl's family, and said he was unable to say whether the family understood what a news conference would entail.

"We are very thankful that this assault did not in fact happen," Bird said. "Our motivation for commenting on the issue at the time was only out of compassion, care, concern and support — as did many elected leaders nationally, provincially and locally via interviews or social media."

At the time, Toronto Police spokesperson Const. Jenifferjit Sidhu said allowing the child to speak to the media might aid the police investigation. She said she had no involvement in the decision to allow the girl to share her story publicly.

"That's up to the family if they feel (comfortable) to speak to the media."

Sidhu said Friday she was shocked by the allegations, calling it "an isolated incident" such that she has never seen in her 20 years of service.

The Star has not been able to reach the girl's family for comment.


Pauline Johnson Public School

-Girl assaulted by man with scissors

-Reports he cut her hijab off

-Man has fled scene

-Unknown if there are injuries#GO70367


The media storm started at 9:33 a.m., Friday, when Toronto Police tweeted an initial report of an assault at the school involving a man cutting off a student's hijab.


Pauline Johnson Public School

-Police o/s

-We have found 2 victims

-Another person attacked

-Suspect is: Asian, 20's, medium build, 5'8-6'0, black hair

-Moustache, glasses, black hoodie, black pants

-Officers searching area#GO70367


At 10.52 a.m., Toronto Police tweeted again: There were now two victims and "another person attacked." Police wrote that they were searching the area for a suspect who was "Asian, 20s, medium build, 5'8-6'0, black hair; Moustache, glasses, black hoodie, black pants."


Pauline Johnson Public School


-There is only 1 victim

-She was attacked twice by the same man 10 minutes apart#GO70367


Ten minutes later, Toronto Police put out another tweet, this time with a correction: "There is only 1 victim; She was attacked twice by the same man 10 minutes apart."


Pauline Johnson Public School


-There is only 1 victim

-She was attacked twice by the same man 10 minutes apart#GO70367


When it came to relaying this information about the unfolding investigation, both Toronto Police and the TDSB say they did not organize a news conference — but said that both organizations made spokespeople available to the media at the school.

The Toronto Police director of communications, Mark Pugash, said Sidhu was there to answer questions about "our side of things," and that the preliminary investigation had already been completed by the time she arrived on scene.

"These were extremely serious allegations," Pugash said. "Investigators worked on Friday and over the weekend gathering evidence, including video and interviews, when they had it all they sat down, looked at what they had, analyzed it, tested it, and the only conclusion that they could come to was that the events as described on Friday did not happen."

Pugash said he would not speculate as to why the girl made her allegations, adding that the investigation was concluded and he would not "anticipate anything further coming from this."

"This received quite rightly, given the nature of the allegations, international coverage," Pugash said. "And we wanted to make sure, having reached the conclusion that we did, that we got that information out as soon as possible to try and allay as many of the concerns that we could."

Political leaders and community members were quick to react to news that the police had found the attack had not occurred.

"I'm kind of glad that it's not actually something that actually happened, but then on the other side, I mean, we all really wanted to know why she reported this," said Titus Gho, a parent picking up his child at the school Monday afternoon.

He expressed concern that hate crimes could now be considered "fake."

"When you are speaking about allegations like this, you're talking about Islamophobia and you're talking about racism and things like that, there are a lot of emotions that are attached to it," Gho said.

At Queen's Park, Premier Kathleen Wynne, who had vehemently denounced the attack on Friday, expressed relief that it had never happened.

"I'd like to thank the Toronto Police Service for their work in this matter, and I join all Ontarians in being thankful and relieved that this assault did not take place," Wynne said in a statement.

Mayor John Tory agreed, saying: "It is good to know that this event didn't happen."

"We all must remain vigilant in the fight against hate, racism, bigotry, anti-Semitism and Islamophobia to make sure our city remains an inclusive place," he wrote in a tweet.

"While we are relieved that this child was not a victim of a hate crime, the false nature of the claim is unsettling," said Ihsaan Gardee, executive director of the National Council of Canadian Muslims, in a statement.

The false allegation "may also affect persons who are in fact targeted by Islamophobic and hateful acts," Gardee said.

So how did the 11-year-old's false story become national, front-page news?

"If the police reported it, the media should report it," said John Miller, professor emeritus at Ryerson University's journalism program. "It implies that they've done a certain amount of investigation. Obviously, the followup by both the police and the media was not as successful."

Miller said that because the girl's story was "a well-shared social media item," there was a pressure to report.

"An 11-year-old girl is believed when she says something happened to her," he said. "Obviously, there's some perils in that. We don't know why she claimed that happened, or somebody claimed it on her behalf."

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1


Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

Alleged attack of Hijab wearing girl didn't happen police

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB