Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Trost challenged by local businessman Brad Redekopp for Conservative nomination

A local businessman and longtime political operative has confirmed his intention to challenge veteran MP Brad Trost for the nomination.

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Published on: January 3, 2018 | Last Updated: January 3, 2018 5:05 PM CST

Local businessman and longtime political operative Brad Redekopp confirmed his intention to challenge veteran MP Brad Trost for the Conservative Party of Canada's nomination in the Saskatoon-University riding. Supplied photo

A local businessman and longtime political operative has confirmed his intention to challenge veteran MP Brad Trost for the Conservative Party of Canada’s nomination in a constituency on Saskatoon’s east side.

Brad Redekopp, who owns Warman-based Cherry Creek Homes Ltd. and spent a decade working with Conservative MP Kelly Block, said Wednesday that he has filed the necessary paperwork to challenge Trost in Saskatoon-University.

“This year, as the Liberal government has gone on with their actions in the country, it’s kind of prodded me — if I’m going to get into this, now’s the time,” said Redekopp, who also chairs the Bridge Saskatoon, a Christian charity.

In a news release, Redekopp said he aims to “widen the tent” while pushing back against taxation and deficits, and that he has a “well-rounded base of experience” with which to do so.

Trost, who was elected in 2004 and placed fourth in the party’s leadership race last year, told the Canadian Press in December that he met with Redekopp and is ready for a fight if the application is accepted.

Conservative MP Brad Trost Greg Pender / Saskatoon StarPhoenix

“I will know for sure in the first week of January if he got everything together and his I’s dotted and his T’s crossed,” Trost said.

Asked how he plans to defeat an incumbent with a history of electoral success, Redekopp — who lived in the riding for more than 13 years — said he plans to make his case to party members and allow the nomination process to work as it is supposed to.

The deadline for candidates interested in challenging incumbents was in December. Riding associations must now approve candidates and, if necessary, organize elections at some point this year. The federal general election will be held in 2019.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news.....ation-race
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday, January 4, 2018
Collingwood Doctor Vying for Simcoe Grey federal Conservative nomination
Regional | by Mariane McLeod

Dr. Gillian Yeates says she brings a different perspective to party

A doctor from Collingwood has begun the process of trying to replace Simcoe-Grey's MP as the Conservative Party's candidate in the next federal election.

Dr. Gillian Yeates says she wants to provide a choice to Conservatives in the riding.

The current MP, Dr. Kellie Leitch, ran a divisive leadership campaign, calling for a test for Canadian Values for immigrants.

Yeates is a first-generation Canadian whose parents came to Canada from Tanzania when she was 3 years old. She got a hockey scholarship to Harvard and is an OBGYN.

Yeates says if she becomes the nominee and wins the election, she already has a plan in place to make sure her patients are cared for.

There's no word on when a nomination challenge meeting might be held. The next federal election is slated for October of 2019.

http://www.bayshorebroadcastin.....wsID=98660
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmale to seek re-election as Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock Conservative MP in 2019 federal election

By The Peterborough Examiner

Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:16:24 EST PM

Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock Conservative MP Jamie Schmale addresses Peterborough County council on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2016 in Peterborough, Ont. Jason Bain/Peterborough Examiner file photo

Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock Conservative MP Jamie Schmale announced Wednesday that he plans to seek re-election in the 2019 federal election.

Schmale's riding includes Cavan Monaghan Township in Peterborough County.

No challenger stepped forward prior to the Dec. 15 deadline for the Conservative party's nomination for the riding after nomination contests for ridings with incumbent Conservative MPs were launched by the party in late November, according to a release.

“It has been an incredible privilege to represent the people of this area in Canada's 42nd Parliament," Schmale stated. "I'm also honoured that I continue to hold the trust of local riding association members to serve as their candidate.”

Schmale, a former radio newscaster in Lindsay, was first elected in the Oct. 19, 2015 federal election, winning with 44.8 per cent of the vote, despite a late-election surge by the Liberals that swept Justin Trudeau into power with a majority government.

Schmale had succeeded Barry Devolin, who had been the riding's Conservative MP from 2004 to 2015.

Schmale was Devolin's executive assistant over those 11 years and was also Devolin's campaign manager in the 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2011 elections.

“As we approach the next federal election, I will continue to stand up for hardworking taxpayers in this riding and beyond," Schmale stated. "Over the past two years, Canada's Official Opposition has held Justin Trudeau's Liberal government accountable for its unethical behaviour, tax hikes and failure to deliver results for middle class Canadians."

Schmale is Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer's opposition critic for Northern Ontario Economic Development and deputy opposition critic for natural resources.

http://www.thepeterboroughexam.....l-election
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tochor announces plan to challenge Trost for Saskatoon-University nomination

Saskatoon Eastview MLA Corey Tochor
Saskatoon Eastview MLA Corey Tochor answers questions after announcing plans to challenge MP Brad Trost for the Conservative Party’s nomination ahead of the next federal election. (Albert Delitala/CTV News)

Albert Delitala, Reporter
Published Monday, January 8, 2018 5:51PM CST

Saskatchewan Party MLA Corey Tochor plans to challenge MP Brad Trost for the Conservative Party’s nomination for Saskatoon-University.

The Saskatoon Eastview MLA, who resigned as speaker from the Saskatchewan Legislative Assembly on Friday, made the announcement in Saskatoon on Monday.

“For me to take the easy road would be to stay on as speaker, but that is not what I believe I was destined to do,” Tochor said. “It's to help Andrew Scheer become the prime minister of Canada, and for me to do that, I need to run federally.”

First elected as an MLA in 2011 and re-elected in 2016, Tochor said he plans to remain in the position during the nomination challenge.

Tochor joins Brad Redekopp in the race taking on Trost for the nomination ahead of the 2019 federal election.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/tochor-announces-plan-to-challenge-trost-for-saskatoon-university-nomination-1.3750962
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there is now a second candidate in Saskatoon University , this time an mla plans to challenge Trost for the nomination )

Corey Tochor confirms plan to challenge Brad Trost for Tory nomination in Saskatoon-University

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Published on: January 8, 2018 | Last Updated: January 8, 2018 4:23 PM CST

The former speaker of the Saskatchewan Legislature says he won’t resign his seat before seeking a federal party’s nomination, and will run again if he fails to secure an opportunity to run in the next general election.

Saskatoon Eastview MLA Corey Tochor on Monday confirmed speculation that he would become the second person to challenge incumbent Brad Trost for the Conservative Party of Canada nod in Saskatoon–University.

“I’ve done the principled stance that I can’t be speaker in an impartial role to take on this nomination,” said Tochor, who resigned as speaker on Friday but refused at the time to confirm his rumoured entrance into federal politics.

“The role as MLA doesn’t change; I was elected to represent the people of Saskatoon, and that continues. But obviously we’re going to take this challenge first and then look at the decisions afterwards, hopefully as a successful candidate for the Conservative Party.”

Tochor — who, according to a campaign official, filed his nomination papers before the deadline last month — will be forced to resign if he beats Trost and Brad Redekopp and becomes an official candidate, because the Canada Elections Act bars sitting MLAs from running federally.

Asked why he decided to enter federal politics, Tochor said people in Saskatoon and the province are “fed up” with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and he is the best candidate to help the Conservatives win the 2019 general election.

“(Trost) is rightfully or wrongfully a polarizing figure. I believe after talking to members and the public that we need still a principled voice but a fresh start in how we represent Saskatoon in Ottawa. I believe that’s what I represent,” he said.

Tochor’s entrance will make for an exciting race, which will be good for the Conservatives in Saskatoon, Redekopp said in a statement.

Trost told the Saskatoon StarPhoenix last week that Tochor may “be surprised just how little his provincial connections get him in my area.”

Two sources close to the Sask. Party said they were stunned by Tochor’s decision to seek the nomination, but appeared divided on whether the party can hang onto his seat — a former NDP stronghold — should he secure the Conservative nomination.

The possibility of picking up another urban seat is appealing to the NDP, which won two Saskatoon seats that had previously been held by the Sask. Party in the aftermath of its 2017-18 budget — Saskatoon Meewasin and Saskatoon Fairview.

NDP House Leader Warren McCall said while much can happen over the coming months as both parties elect new leaders, a vacancy in Saskatoon Eastview gives the party “a great opportunity to send the Sask. Party a message about just how they’re not cutting the mustard.”

Tochor was first elected in 2011 and re-elected in 2016. He became speaker shortly after the 2016 general election. Born in Esterhazy, he owned and operated a digital communications company before entering politics.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news.....university
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the mp for Chatham Kent Leamington won't be running for re election in 2019 )

Veteran MP Dave Van Kesteren calling it quits after 12 years

By Ellwood Shreve, Postmedia Network

Friday, January 5, 2018 8:32:27 EST PM

Chatham-Kent-Essex MP Dave Van Kesteren (File photo/Postmedia Network)

Dave Van Kesteren won’t be seeking re-election in 2019, the long-time Conservative MP for Chatham-Kent-Leamington announced Friday.

Van Kesteren said he struggled the last few weeks with making the final decision, but added he is “feeling calm” now that the announcement has been made.

He added he also has “36 great reasons to not seek re-election now, with our 37th grandchild coming in a few months.

“It's been a great run, it's been a wonderful job and I've got just great memories,” the Chatham resident added. “I think the older I get the more thankful I'll be that I had this opportunity, but, you just know it's time to go.”

Van Kesteren, 62, has been a candidate in the last five federal elections. He lost the first election in MP Jerry Pickard, but won the next four. He was elected on Jan. 23, 2006, and was subsequently re-elected on Oct. 14, 2008, May 2, 2011, and Oct. 19, 2015.

When he was first elected, Van Kesteren helped form the new federal government under Prime Minister Stephen Harper. The Conservatives lost the 2015 election, and Van Kesteren has since been a member of the Opposition.

The MP said by announcing early it gives other people the chance to prepare to seek the local Conservative nomination.

“I know that there are people thinking about it,” he said, adding he's been asked by a few if he planned to seek re-election.

Van Kesteren praised his constituents, and also thanked his wife Faye and their family for their ongoing support over the years.

“The public does not see the hundreds of nights away, or the many demands public life makes on maintaining some semblance of normal family life,” said Van Kesteren.

“I am so blessed that she agreed to share this journey with me,” he added, in reference to Faye.

The MP said during his time in office the federal government has poured “a third of a billion dollars” into his riding.

He cited projects such as the Leamington waste water treatment plan, upgraded facilities for both Ridgetown and St. Clair colleges, local conservation authorities, manufacturing business expansions, the Chatham-Kent Women’s Shelter, new bio-energy research, Point Pelee National Park, the Mary Webb Centre in Highgate, and tomato research as “some of the initiatives that were able to be realized.”

Van Kesteren said since being elected 12 years ago he has attended 5,420 meetings in the riding and in Ottawa, and has travelled 530,000 kilometres driving back and forth from Ottawa. He also attended 2,405 votes in Ottawa, was present for 1,440 Question Periods, but missed just one vote in Parliament, and said that was when one of his sons was in critical condition.

“I intend to continue to work full-time, non-stop on behalf of the people who have put their trust in me,” Van Kesteren said. “It is an honour to represent the hard-working people of this riding, and I will always appreciate the confidence they put in me.”

eshreve@postmedia.com

--- --- ---

Dave Van Kesteren

12: years an MP

530,000: kilometres travelled to and from Ottawa

2,405: Votes attended in Ottawa.

1,440: Question periods attended

1: Vote missed, owing to a family medical emergency

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca.....e-election
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

37 Grand-kids!!!

Wow.

Enjoy it Dave!
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the mp for Yellowhead in alberta has decided to retire in 2019 )

MP Jim Eglinski won't seek re-election in 2019

By Laine Mitchell (Twitter: @Laine_Mitchell)

January 9, 2018 - 11:52am

MP Eglinski

rdnewsNOW/ Keanna Nelson

A local Conservative MP will not be seeking re-election in 2019.

MP for Yellowhead Jim Eglinski says after consultations with his wife, family and friends, he will not be running in the next election.

"I hate to say this but we are getting older every year and with each year that you don’t spend with family is one you tend to look back on with a bit of regret. After 52 years of public service it’s time to retire," said Eglinski in a release.

Eglinski goes on to say that he has spoken with Conservative Party leader Andrew Scheer, and that the years of being a MP has been some of the best of his life.

"I will miss this job and the wonderful colleagues I have had the pleasure of working with. I cannot thank YOU, the constituents and supporters of the riding of Yellowhead, enough and appreciate your understanding of this very difficult decision."

The 69-year-old was first elected through a by-election in 2014, and later re-elected in the 2015 federal election.

Previous to his career in federal politics, Eglinski worked for 40 years as a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer, and served as a councillor and eventually mayor for the town of Fort St. John, British Columbia.

With Eglinski's announcement, the most recent candidate nomination process will now stop. The local Yellowhead Electoral District Association (EDA) and the Conservative Party of Canada will reactivate a nomination process at a later date to look for candidates to put their names forward.

The riding of Yellowhead includes the communities of Drayton Valley, Hinton, Edson and Rocky Mountain House.

http://www.rdnewsnow.com/artic.....ction-2019
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
37 Grand-kids!!!

Wow.

Enjoy it Dave!

currently at 2 retiring cpc mp's

Scheer has to hope the number of retirements and vacancies in the cpc caucus going into 2019 stay in the single digits , when considering the age / amount of time served in Ottawa of some mp's ( most of the mp's from Ontario if they've been an mp for 6 years are eligible for a pension ) , better provincial oppurtunities in some places , the long majority parliament , nomination battles in some ridings

you don't want to have to deal with too many open ridings and such
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( some news on the Renfrew Nipissing Pembroke race , the new candidate seems to be admitting he is a long shot at this point )

Mike Coates seeking Conservative nomination

By Sean Chase, The Daily Observer

Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:19:53 EST PM

Sean Chase/Daily Observer Businessman and Conservative nomination candidate Mike Coates (right) speaks with (left to right) Mark Reilander, John Escott and Romeo Levasseur during a meet-and-greet held at Jana's Cafe in downtown Pembroke Sunday. Coates is challenging incumbent MP Cheryl Gallant, who has represented the riding of Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke for the past 18 years.

Mike Coates, the businessman who recently chaired Kevin O'Leary's leadership campaign, is seeking to lead Conservatives in the riding of Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke into the 2019 federal election.

Unseating incumbent MP Cheryl Gallant, who has never been challenged since winning the seat in 2000, will be an uphill battle, Coates concedes. However, the candidate, who met with party faithful at Jana's Cafe in downtown Pembroke Sunday, feels his proven track record in business will reverse what he feels has been 18 years of lost jobs and opportunities.

“I can demonstrate to people that I can get things done,” said Coates, who is pledging to use his political network to bring investors to the riding and create jobs. “That's the kind of thing where I think I can make a difference.”

As an example, Coates managed to secure improved cellular service for the Bonnechere Valley area as a member of the Eganville and District Community Development Group. Born in the Maritimes, Coates and his wife, Maureen, make their home in Griffith where they've raised three daughters, Michelle, Lianne and Danielle. A graduate of York University and Queen's University, he held several high-profile positions with lobbying firm Hill and Knowlton, including president of the Americas, before retiring last year. He has been involved in conservative politics since 1980, when he worked on Parliament Hill for then minister of state for the Treasury Board Perrin Beatty and Senator Lowell Murray.

Reinforcing his conservative credentials, Coates was secretary and treasurer for the federal Progressive Conservatives and helped former prime minister Stephen Harper in his debate preparation for three elections. He previously fundraised for former prime minister Brian Mulroney and worked on national campaigns between 1988 and 2008.

Over the next three weeks, Coates needs to sell enough party memberships to support his bid. With a $15 membership, local Conservatives will have the ability to vote in any upcoming nomination. The deadline is Feb. 1. He admits the incumbent MP is in a favourable position at the moment.

“She is very strong,” said Coates. “They have the organization and I am building mine. She's clearly come to the view that it is better to get this over with. That's the way the process is played.”

Although Gallant has made controversial remarks that have attracted national headlines in the past, Coates wants this debate to be about the future of Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke. He said any nomination challenge is healthy for the party. The Conservative Party has opened up nominations in the ridings of 92 MPs across the country, all of whom held their seats since the last election.

“She's got a head start,” he noted. “I am hoping this is new for her to. There can be some complacency. These jobs were not meant to be careers.”

Coates also believes the ruling Liberal government is vulnerable, especially Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who has attracted controversy and questions about his judgment by hosting a meeting with Joshua Boyle, who had been held hostage in Afghanistan for five years. Not only has his period of captivity raised questions but Boyle now faces multiple criminal charges.

“The selfie prime ministership is going to wear thin and I think it's starting to,” said Coates.

Trudeau has also become the first prime minister in Canadian history to have been found guilty of breaking federal ethics laws. His government continues to run up deficits, however, Coates is equally troubled by Trudeau's policy towards the treatment of ISIS terrorists who are returning to Canada from the Middle East.

“Imagine letting those ISIS fighters back in here,” he said. “Our (troops) are over there trying to kill them and then they decide to come back and we say we'll welcome them back and try to re-integrate them.”

The Conservative nomination election is anticipated to be held on either Friday, Feb. 23 or Saturday, Feb. 24. Mike Coates will be meeting with members at the Santa Fe in Renfrew on Monday, Jan. 22 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and at the Whitewater Brewary in Cobden on Tuesday, Jan. 23 again from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. He is scheduled to visit Deep River on Thursday, Jan. 25 and Petawawa at a later date.

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca.....nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the simcoe grey nomination meeting is happening in February according to reports , although some confusion over exact date )

Monday, January 15, 2018
Date Set for Simcoe Grey Conservative Nomination Meeting
Regional | by Mariane McLeod

letter from Dr. Kellie Leitch to supporters

Update: In an interview with 97.7 The Beach, Dr. Leitch says the date has not yet been set

The date for the run-off to see who represents the Conservative party in the next federal election has apparently been set.

In a letter to supporters, Dr. Kellie Leitch says the vote will be held February 15th. The letter does not say where the vote will be held.

Dr. Gillian Yeates of Collingwood and Essa Mayor, Terry Dowdall are challenging Leitch for the nomination.

Under new rules adopted by the Conservative party, even sitting MPs can face a vote on whether they retain the nomination. Anyone who wants to vote at the nomination meeting must be a member of the party by January 25th.

http://www.bayshorebroadcastin.....wsID=98885
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( some ridings will need to find new candidates as 2015 candidates aren't running again )

Pontiac’s 2019 federal election campaign will feature a new CPC candidate

On January 21, 2018/ By Benjamin Woodman/In Uncategorized

(English is below)

Chers ami(e)s,

Merci à tous ceux qui m’ont contacté pour s’informer de mes intentions en vue de la prochaine élection fédérale.

Après avoir discuté avec ma famille, j’aimerais annoncer que je n’ai pas l’intention de briguer l’investiture conservatrice fédérale en vue des élections de me présenterai 2019.

J’ai deux très jeunes filles avec qui je veux passer plus de temps. Je veux aussi terminer ma maîtrise, poursuivre ma carrière et poursuivre certains objectifs que je me suis fixés en tant que membre de l’Armée canadienne. De plus, je souhaite continuer de m’impliquer dans les dossiers de soins de santé auquel je participe avec mes amis de Pontiac Voice. Toutes ces activités contribueront grandement à solidifier ma candidature et aussi à acquérir plus d’expériences afin de me présenter de nouveau comme candidat conservateur dans le futur.

Je tenais de rendre publique mes intentions quisque je veux donner amplement l’occasion à ceux qui sont intéressés de briguer l’investiture conservatrice fédérale dans la circonscription de Pontiac. Je veux aussi encourager mes ami(e)s qui hésitaient peut-être à briguer l’investiture par loyauté envers moi. Je les encouragent à aller de l’avant s’ils sont intéressés.

Les commentaires que j’ai reçus de nos résidents sur l’état de la politique fédérale indiquent clairement que le Pontiac se lasse des dépenses imprudentes, des hausses de taxes et des manquements à l’éthique qui caractérisent le gouvernement Trudeau. Le silence que nous recevons de notre représentant fédéral local asur certains dossiers est assourdissant – notamment sur l’état des soins de santé, le manque de protection du parc de la Gatineau, les attaques dirigées contre les petites entreprises et les fermiers et sur la décharge de déchets nucléaires qui doit être construite tout près de nous.

Je continuerai de défendre ces dossiers et d’autres enjeux fédéraux et j’entends jouer un rôle clé dans la prochaine campagne du Pontiac. Je tiens à remercier ma famille, mes parents et le comité exécutif conservateur du Pontiac pour leur soutien constant.

Avec d’amour,

Benjamin Woodman

Ancien candidat pour le PCC

Dear Friends,

Thank you to everyone that has contacted me inquiring of my status as a candidate in the next federal election.

After discussing with my family, I want to announce that I won’t be running for federal office in 2019.

I have a family that I want to spend more time with. I also want to complete my Masters degree, continue my career, and work towards some of the goals I have set for myself as a soldier in the Canadian Army. Additionally, I wish to increase the health-care advocacy I partake in with my friends in Pontiac Voice. All of these activities will go a long way towards my own self-improvement, and will make me more capable to run again as a Conservative candidate at some point in the future.

I’m announcing my intentions at this early stage because I want to give ample opportunity to those interested in seeking the Pontiac Conservative nomination to present themselves before 2019’s election. I also want to encourage friends who may have been hesitant to seek the Conservative nomination out of loyalty to me, to step forward if they are interested.

The feedback I’ve received from our residents on the state of federal politics is a strong indicator that the Pontiac has grown weary of the reckless spending, increased taxes and ethical lapses that characterize the Trudeau government. The silence we receive from our local federal representative is deafening on a number of files – including on the state of health care, the lack of protection surrounding Gatineau Park, on attacks directed towards small businesses & farmers, the lying that surrounded electoral reform, and on the nuclear waste dump that is set to be built upriver from us.

I will continue to advocate on these, and other federal issues, and I intend to play a key role in the upcoming campaign. I want to thank my family, my parents and our Pontiac Conservative Executive for their constant support.

Much love,

Benjamin Woodman

CPC Candidate of Record, Pontiac

https://therightprofile.net/2018/01/21/pontiacs-2019-federal-election-will-have-a-different-cpc-candidate/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a purge! It's too systematic to be anything else. If these MPs were standing up in opposition to their leader, it'd be called a party split. Scheer seems to think that he's the boss and is probably making a good move, managerially speaking. He is getting rid of the squeaky wheels now, before they squeak, in case they squeak.

The only thing is -- the idea of democratic representation is entirely lost!

It's not a little thing.

Quote:
Seven Conservative MPs face divisive nomination challenges, party denies it’s behind the move
Conservative MP Jim Eglinski told Hill staffer Ryan Oudekirk that he was ‘disappointed’ and ‘not happy’ with the nomination challenge.

By ABBAS RANA

PUBLISHED :Monday, Jan. 22, 2018 12:00 AM

Seven Conservative MPs are facing nomination challenges for the 2019 election, but there is widespread speculation the party’s leadership is behind at least some of those challenges, which the party strongly denies.

“There were some OLO staffers last fall who were overheard musing about the need to organize challenges against a handful of incumbent MPs, and the four were Brad Trost, Kellie Leitch, Maxime Bernier, and Cheryl Gallant,” said Joseph Ben-Ami, former campaign manager for Conservative MP Brad Trost’s (Saskatoon-University, Sask.) unsuccessful leadership campaign. “Three of them, for sure, are facing challenges.”

Mr. Trost, who finished fourth in last May’s leadership race, is promising to launch a lengthy legal court battle against his own party after it fined him $50,000 for leaking the Conservative Party’s membership list to the National Firearms Association. Last week, he told CBC News that he was will willing to take his legal fight “all the way,” against a “deliberate smear,” and said his supporters have raised tens of thousands of dollars to help pay for his legal fees.

A Conservative source, meanwhile, told The Hill Times that Conservative MP Larry Miller (Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound, Ont.) had overheard the conversation about incumbent challenges among OLO staffers last fall, and then talked to some of the MPs who were mentioned in the conversation. In an interview, Mr. Miller did not directly confirm or deny if he had overheard the conversation, but said he heard rumours the party leadership wanted some incumbents challenged. Mr. Miller said he checked on his own internally if that would be the case, but did not get any solid proof to substantiate the rumours.

The seven Conservative MPs facing challenges are: Mr. Trost, Cheryl Gallant (Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, Ont.), Kellie Leitch (Simcoe-Grey, Ont.), David Tilson (Dufferin-Caledon, Ont.), Jim Eglinski (Yellowhead, Alta.), Deepak Obhrai (Calgary Forest Lawn, Alta.), and Mike Lake (Edmonton-Wetaskwin, Alta.).

“All that I can tell you is I heard rumours that some of our colleagues, including some of the names you’ve mentioned were going to be challenged,” said Mr. Miller, a five-term Conservative MP, in an interview with The Hill Times. “I’ve absolutely no reason to believe that the party’s behind it.” But, he also warned that if someone from the federal party was involved, it would be a problem.

“My message would be if the party is involved, and I want to make it very clear that I don’t think they are, but if they are, I think that they are walking on very thin ice, because I have no time for anybody getting involved, anybody from outside of the riding getting involved in a nomination race,” said Mr. Miller.

He said if he had found any proof, he would have publicly spoken up about it.

Cory Hann, director of communications for the Conservative Party, denied any suggestions that the party’s leadership is in any way involved in encouraging any challenger to run against incumbent MPs.

“We’re running our nominations in the exact manner we’ve run all our nominations including our leadership—in a very fair and open manner,” said Mr. Hann, last week. [....]
http://www.hilltimes.com/2018/.....ers/131486
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( looks like they may need a new candidate in Burlington Ontario as well , former cpc mp who narrowly lost in 2015 appears set to run for mayor not federally )

Mike Wallace‏ @MikeWallaceRE · 40m40 minutes ago

Announced my intentions to run for the Mayor of Burlington today. Caroline by my side! https://www.instagram.com/p/BeRBIavnfem/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( in a surprise move Kellie Leitch has announced she isn't running again )

John Ivison: Shunned ‘values’ crusader Kellie Leitch’s political career comes to its inevitable end

It was always likely to end this way once Leitch's Tory leadership bid gambled on a ‘Canadian values’ crusade — namely, in defeat, ostracism and, ultimately, exile

John Ivison

January 23, 2018
8:05 PM EST

Filed under
Full Comment

It was always likely to end this way once Kellie Leitch had made the calculated gamble to mount a “Canadian values” crusade as part of her leadership bid for the Conservative Party — namely, in defeat, ostracism and, ultimately, exile.

In a statement obtained Tuesday by the National Post, the former minister and Conservative leadership contender said she will not seek re-election in 2019 and plans to “return to the public service that is core to my being and forms the very roots of who I am: being a paediatric orthopaedic surgeon and getting children back on playgrounds.”

Leitch was always a long shot for the leadership but became a lightning rod for controversy — and alt-right support — when she began to advocate Trump-like positions on issues like screening immigrants.

She should have known better, her previous flirtation with the tactics of intolerance, in the form of the barbaric cultural practises tip line, having helped blow up a decade of successful multicultural outreach for the Conservatives. In a teary mea culpa on live television, Leitch later lamented that the messaging around the tip line had focused on race, not women’s rights.

To have been burned once could be put down to misfortune, but twice ranged beyond carelessness into tomfoolery.

Leitch fell under the spell of a man used to campaigning for long-shots — Nick Kouvalis, who managed Rob Ford’s successful bid to be Toronto mayor in 2010.

By all accounts, Kouvalis calculated that Leitch’s only hope was to veer sharply right and parrot the populism of the American president, based on polling that half the Conservative membership was sympathetic to Trump’s anti-elite message.

Leitch duly suggested screening immigrants, expressed scepticism about NAFTA and advocated de-funding the CBC. She pandered to the fears of those members of the Conservative base who felt alienated by traditional parties and offered them simple solutions that on closer examination were less radical than they sounded. While she implied with a nod and wink that she would bring in Trump-like restrictions on immigration, she didn’t commit to cutting the number of newcomers to Canada.

But the rhetoric was truculent, the money rolled in and Leitch was consistently among the top three or four candidates in leadership polls.

Nick Kouvalis in 2010 when he was campaign manager for Rob Ford.

The problem was she was trying to be something she wasn’t: a progressive conservative attempting to be alt-right, a former cabinet minister and paediatric surgeon trying to be anti-elite.

In the end, the Conservative Party decided it wasn’t ready for what one leadership candidate called “karaoke Donald Trump.” Leitch received 7 per cent of the available points on the first ballot, yet after eight rounds still did not manage to breach 8 per cent, ultimately coming in sixth.

She has cut a rather desolate figure since the leadership race, excluded from Andrew Scheer’s shadow cabinet and challenged for the nomination in her Simcoe-Grey riding by two local aspirants. Rumours inside the Conservative Party suggest the new regime has conspired to encourage rival nominees in Simcoe-Grey and in the ridings of others who have fallen out of favour, such as another leadership candidate, pro-lifer Brad Trost, who came fourth. The party denies such shenanigans — but then, it would.

Rather than tough it out in a party that clearly wants her gone, Leitch said she concluded “that the time has come for me to serve in other ways, including as a surgeon and volunteer. I will continue my work for my constituents first, for the balance of this Parliament, but will not seek re-election.”

While not a sympathetic character in the eyes of many Canadians, she has been an energetic figure in the country’s public life, even before entering Parliament in 2011.

Kellie Leitch launches her Conservative leadership bid in October 2016. J.T. McVeight/Postmedia

The aberration of her leadership bid should not obscure her achievements, such as chairing the expert panel that led to the introduction of the Children’s Fitness Tax Credit in 2006 (since eliminated by the Liberals); founding the Kids Health Foundation (now the Sandbox Project) to make Canada the healthiest place in the world for children to grow up; and her volunteer service at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario even while serving as an MP.

She said “patching up kids is what keeps me grounded” and she is already planning a project in Kumasi, Ghana, with Health Volunteers Overseas, building on work she did in Nepal in 2015.

She said she will continue to support “the efforts of the Conservative Party, its leader and its candidates” but it is not clear that help will be sought or accepted. Relations are so strained it is apparent that Leitch did not consult or inform Scheer before issuing her statement.

Leitch gambled and lost but she should be commended for walking away from the political game while on a losing streak. Putting kids back into playgrounds is a creditable — and perhaps redemptive — way for her to continue her years of public service

http://nationalpost.com/opinio.....itable-end

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  

Jump to: