Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where do we stand?
United States of North America
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
United States of Canada
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Federal Commenwealth
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
The Republic of Canada
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
The Independent Republic of Canada
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
Status-quo
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
I'm not Canadian
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream is an independent Albertan republic comprised of Alberta, the BC interior, northern Saskatchewan, the North West Territories and Montana, all of which I believe constitute Greater Alberta. :D
jw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making predictions beyond a certain point is a waste of time. We do not have the referents needed to make the prediction you request.

We CAN say Canada is going to have trouble over the last 40 years' gender policy. What trouble? No way of saying.
We CAN say we are going to face increasing fragmentation of society. How much? No way of saying.

On and on that goes.

I do not like and do not trust big predictions. They do worse than raqndom chance at predicting the future. Might as well put various futures on a dart board and throw darts over your shoulder while wearing a blindfold: The chance of being right is slightly better.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joahob wrote:
My dream is an independent Albertan republic comprised of Alberta, the BC interior, northern Saskatchewan, the North West Territories and Montana, all of which I believe constitute Greater Alberta. :D

That sounds more like the Republic of Cascadia without Oregon & Washington.
winchry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: abolish the monarchy Reply with quote

We need get rid of the monarchy in Canada. Positions such as the govenor general, even if the queen really has now power over it, needs be be controlled solely by Canadians. also we have no place for a king or queen anymore. Most Canadians cant even name our queen, and therefore have no loyalty to the monachy anymore.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: abolish the monarchy Reply with quote

winchry wrote:
We need get rid of the monarchy in Canada. Positions such as the govenor general, even if the queen really has now power over it, needs be be controlled solely by Canadians. also we have no place for a king or queen anymore. Most Canadians cant even name our queen, and therefore have no loyalty to the monachy anymore.

The governor general is chosen by the Prime Minister, not the Queen, and the GG has no real power. What little power the GG has is controlled by (you guessed it) Canadians.

Getting rid of the monarchy is one of the Liberals' dreams because they see themselves as the natural rulers of Canada. One of the reasons Trudeau forced through his flawed Constitution and his warped Charter was to create a separation between Great Britain and Canada. If you want to worship at the altar of Trudeau, knock yourself out but don't call yourself a Conservative if you do.

I also disagree strongly Canada has no place for the monarchy or that most Canadians have no loyalty to the Crown. Canada was a colony of Great Britain and that influence permeates our parliamentary system of government, our court systems and many aspects of our Canadian identity. Canada, for a young country, has a rich history which is greatly enhanced by our relationship with British Commonwealth and, by extension, the Monarchy.

Kindly articulate the reasons (not your guesses or feelings) why ending our relationship with the Monarchy would be advantageous to Canada.

-Mac
Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The separation of the head of state and head of government is highly advantageous for a nation-state.

Look at the US. The head of state, the president, is hated and loved. His position tears apart national unity. Conversely, a monarch is non-partisan and in fact promotes national unity. Monarchy, I think, is preferable to republicanism, which would likely divide Canada further apart until the country finally breaks into pieces.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not opposed to scrapping the GG... I think the position is no longer needed; and a massive waste of our tax dollars. I consider that quite a strong conservative stance.

But, ending the ties to the monarchy is not needed. The ties are good to keep; the cushy appointed positions are not. Recognition of our relationship to the monarchy is all we really require; why have these token figurehead positions that serve only to suck up to a monarchy that could basically care less if we have them at all?

I would definitely agree that Canadians tend not to have any loyalty to the queen... I certainly know few, if any who do. I certainly don't - I have loyalty to my country - not someone else's queen. That is not to say I don't identify with the Queen, the good they do and have done. But I am certainly not loyal to the monarchy.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joahob wrote:
The separation of the head of state and head of government is highly advantageous for a nation-state.

Look at the US. The head of state, the president, is hated and loved. His position tears apart national unity. Conversely, a monarch is non-partisan and in fact promotes national unity. Monarchy, I think, is preferable to republicanism, which would likely divide Canada further apart until the country finally breaks into pieces.

I somehow don't think the average Canadian really thinks of the Queen as the head-of-state... ask most and they would give those honours to the PM. And when I look around the country I hardly see any major unity won... I see quebec and alberta ready to leave, and possibly take other provinces with them.

I don't hear any states calling for seperation on the other hand...
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggie wrote
Quote:
I somehow don't think the average Canadian really thinks of the Queen as the head-of-state... ask most and they would give those honours to the PM. And when I look around the country I hardly see any major unity won... I see quebec and alberta ready to leave, and possibly take other provinces with them.

I don't hear any states calling for seperation on the other hand...

You don't hear states calling for separation(except Vermont) because they fought a civil war. Maybe we need one inorder to stop talk of separation.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

Jump to: