Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Liberals attach Social demands to summer job funding Reply with quote

( in a truly odd announcement , the liberals are attaching socially liberal demands to anyone who wants summer jobs funding , your group or employer now has to agree with trudeau on any number of highly divisive social issues to qualify for funding .

I don't often agree with Brad Trost but he has a point , this is a really odd demand to place on a federal program as millions of Canadians have religious views different than those of trudeau and may now not qualify for funding . some possible examples could include summer camps run by religious organizations or groups , who could now not qualify if there not willing to let queers openly participate or if there programs include religion )

Activists decry gender identity funding demands ahead of summer job applications

Canadian Press

Published:
December 19, 2017

Updated:
December 19, 2017 2:00 PM EST

Filed Under:

Toronto SUN ›
News ›
Canada ›

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks to media about his first 100 days in office and announces the expansion of the Canada Summer Jobs Program at the Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club in Toronto on Friday, February 12, 2016.Aaron Vincent Elkaim / THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — A federal jobs program targeted at youth met the government’s goal for placements for this past summer after falling short in the first year of the Liberals’ mandate.

The government says almost 69,000 spaces and counting were created in 2017, double the number in 2015 and a target the Liberals had vowed to reach in every year of their mandate.

The Liberals have put an extra $113 million annually into the summer jobs program to double the number of placements each year to 70,000 from 35,000 for students working at not-for-profit organizations, public sector employers and small businesses with 50 or fewer employees.

Justin Trudeau says summer jobs boost will help... 1:24

The annual program is one promoted by all parties as a way to help local businesses fill positions and give students on-the-job experience.

The government is releasing the 2017 numbers today as it opens applications for the 2018 edition of the program.

Applicants will be required to attest that both the job and the employer's core mandate respect individual human rights in Canada.

— Labour Minister Patty Hajdu

The program has been the target of controversy from religious groups who fear they’ll be blocked from funding due to the government’s new requirement that all applicants prove they don’t violate charter rights — specifically with respect to reproductive rights, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.

That's discrimination. Canadians are allowed to have different political views than the government of the day and they shouldn't have their funding cut off because they disagree with the government.

— Conservative MP Brad Trost

The decision stems from a controversy last year when officials approved tens of thousands of dollars for anti-abortion groups in at least two ridings.

Nuns march with thousands on Parliament Hill for the March for Life rally in favour of ending abortion, in Ottawa on Thursday, May 11, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Fred Chartrand

Labour Minister Patty Hajdu ordered a review of the program, including funding criteria, before setting the rules for this year. The new rules are not designed to ban faith-based groups from landing federal cash, she said.

“Applicants will be required to attest that both the job and the employer’s core mandate respect individual human rights in Canada,” she said.

Federal Labour Minister Patty Hajdu is seen at a union facility in Mississauga, Ont., on Friday, Dec. 8, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Colin Perkel

“We’re focused on meaningful work experience for young people that will help grow the economy and strengthen the middle class.”

Federal officials reviewing applications will have to determine if a group violates the new rules. Ultimately, Hajdu as the minister in charge of the program signs off on all funding.

The head of Campaign Life Coalition, a group that opposes abortion, called the decision discriminatory because groups that advocate for abortion rights will still be able to receive money.

Conservative MP Brad Trost, in an online video, said anyone who wants government funding has to agree with the Liberals on abortion, gay marriage and transgendered rights.

“That’s discrimination. Canadians are allowed to have different political views than the government of the day and they shouldn’t have their funding cut off because they disagree with the government,” said Trost.

http://torontosun.com/news/nat.....5db65590f5
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tne Conservative Party of Canada will run away from this issue like crazy.

Understand, I don't blame them for ducking a re-match over abortion or same-sex marriage. The population has reached a consensus, it seems to me, to tolerate something that is wrong because they don't want to deprive people of their potential happiness. And, secondarily, they don't want to be labelled bigots.

But this gender stuff is coming into the arena right now, and nobody is willing to put the NO argument into words, probably for the same reasons. They will be beaten up in the media.

This is still Canada, where it is an article of faith that (mostly) boys will be (mostly) boys and (mostly) girls will be (mostly) girls, and there's nothing wrong with that arrangement. It works 98% of the time. Shit, we have ignored left-handers for centuries, and they make up 10%-15% of the population. So why should we put urinals in a bathroom for tom-boys? And are we really supposed to treat a man in a dress as someone to take seriously?

This is the battle of the moment, and any political leader that picks up that challenge will have surprising results. The reason for my prediction that the Conservatve Party of Canada will run and hide from this issue is because they lack the guts. They are so far removed from the lived life of Canadians that they actually think that this serves something called 'gender equality'.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Tne Conservative Party of Canada will run away from this issue like crazy.

Understand, I don't blame them for ducking a re-match over abortion or same-sex marriage. The population has reached a consensus, it seems to me, to tolerate something that is wrong because they don't want to deprive people of their potential happiness. And, secondarily, they don't want to be labelled bigots.

But this gender stuff is coming into the arena right now, and nobody is willing to put the NO argument into words, probably for the same reasons. They will be beaten up in the media.

This is still Canada, where it is an article of faith that (mostly) boys will be (mostly) boys and (mostly) girls will be (mostly) girls, and there's nothing wrong with that arrangement. It works 98% of the time. Shit, we have ignored left-handers for centuries, and they make up 10%-15% of the population. So why should we put urinals in a bathroom for tom-boys? And are we really supposed to treat a man in a dress as someone to take seriously?

This is the battle of the moment, and any political leader that picks up that challenge will have surprising results. The reason for my prediction that the Conservatve Party of Canada will run and hide from this issue is because they lack the guts. They are so far removed from the lived life of Canadians that they actually think that this serves something called 'gender equality'.

well I agree can you blame the conservatives for not wanting to deal with this sort of thing ? its clear the liberals are desperate to reopen certain social issues so they can campaign against them during an election ( for there own benefit ) ( not for the benefit of Canadians )

but as for this specific issue , I'm not a charter expert but I'd suspect if a religious group is denied funding and social issues or there religion is given as the reason . they might have grounds to take this to court as they'd clearly be discriminated based on there religion ( which is a prohibited grounds of discrimination )

the liberals say there doing this to prevent minorities from being discriminated against but in doing so they might be "discriminating " people based on there religion which is not allowed under the charter itself

so I'm left rather confused and suspect a judge or eventually the supreme court might have a hard time sorting this one out

I don't see how they could legally deny a group funding and give religion or there religious beliefs as a reason under the charter which clearly states that religion is a prohibited grounds of discrimination , so something about this whole thing stinks

and would trudeau be willing to re-write the charter and remove religion as a protected belief ? he'd clearly need to take this further for his plan to be legal as it doesn't seem to be legal as things stand now
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with RCO here;

Its clear the NDP under Singh at least presently are not posing a challenge to LPC support on the left as such they are making an effort to get the Tories to bite on this so they can open a series of social issues the Federal Government tends to discuss at length and never action regardless of who is in power.

Denying funding to an organization who is fundamentally opposed to Abortion but not actively blocking its employees from getting one or demanding their employees are in line with their belief is going to be a slam dunk to overturn if this is challenged to Supreme Court, especially given the Courts make-up.

However, by the time it gets there the summer will be long over and the Liberals will have made a pile of political hay on the issue.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
I tend to agree with RCO here;

Its clear the NDP under Singh at least presently are not posing a challenge to LPC support on the left as such they are making an effort to get the Tories to bite on this so they can open a series of social issues the Federal Government tends to discuss at length and never action regardless of who is in power.

Denying funding to an organization who is fundamentally opposed to Abortion but not actively blocking its employees from getting one or demanding their employees are in line with their belief is going to be a slam dunk to overturn if this is challenged to Supreme Court, especially given the Courts make-up.

However, by the time it gets there the summer will be long over and the Liberals will have made a pile of political hay on the issue.

by doing this the liberals are basically saying the charter is flawed or not worth the paper its printed on

as it clearly states " religion " is a prohibited grounds for discrimination , yet we have a government that has decided its ok to deny funding based on religious beliefs

( I also can't ever recall a government program where such a criteria existed , I've never heard of having to agree with a governments position on divisive social issues as a mandatory criteria to meet )

it would make for an interesting court challenge and almost certainly will be taken to higher courts if the liberals proceed with this
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not understanding me. Yes, there is an issue with protecting religion, despite the charter. The Supreme Court largely accedes to the rulings of Human Rights Commissions, which are gruesomely totalitarian things that violate everything that public thinks of as 'due process' -- yet the courts back them even against the Charter.

I mean beating them with public opinion on these issues. We have to stop accepting the frame that if you aren't FOR such-&-such you must be AGAINST it. Just because you think that there are only two genders, for instance, doesn't mean you hate anybody. If a leader has the fortitude to stand up to being called a bigot and facing it down, they will have great success.

Think about it -- Trost's endorsement has been said to have been the margin that put Scheer over the top on the 13th ballot! And now he's being challenged in his own riding. Just at the most primaeval level, this seems like a betrayal of sorts.

This is the thing -- identity politics has jumped the shark, as they say. There are more and more groups making more and more ludicrous demands on the official system, and now the official system is increasingly turning to coercive means to have these demands satisfied. At the moment, they are compelling us to use a new set of pronouns to ensure the dignity of men in six-inch heels isn't compromised.

As I see it -- i am retired. I know the modern organization world of today is tied together, in part, by a kind of occupational terror. We are now at the point where occupational wisdom dictates never being alone with a female fellow-employee. Don't tell me this isn't a rational reaction to a fearful insecurity.

But I am not in that terror, and had a work-life as that terror descended on us. This has been going on in full force, all through government and the state-regulated economy -- the replacement of men by women in workforces. For at least 30 years -- a workforce generation -- our public sector as tried to hire anyone else but the Canadian male in front of it. Resumes were divided into two piles, the 'equity' pile, and the 'npn-equity' pile. They wouldn't even look at the 'non-equity' pile unless they couldn't find anyone worth the risk amongst the 'equity' pile. They acknowledge this. Bob Rae's administration actually posted in-house promotions with a warning that no white males need apply! In the 80ies and 90ies, that was going on in the police forces, for example. The armed forces as well, but I am sure it was broader than that. Professional schools somehow managed to take medicine from a near-100% male occupation up to a 50-50 one in 20 years. That means the classes had to be over 50% female. The same thing happened in law schools, and these things are still going on.

The civil service of the various levels of government area different occupational world than the private enterprise world, Wages for the same job, with benefits included, are at least 50% above the free market rates. Back when the Ontario minimum wage was $9-something, the minimum wage in government was $14-something. This is the biggest discriminators in the Canadian economy.

But it works through "chill". One case intimidates lots of others, and the Human Rights types know this, and use it to achieve their purposes. "Political correctness" has become something akin to an organized way to spread and allocate the "chill" far from an initiating event.

You may agree with this, that isn't my point. My point is that it has gone too far by a country mile. People who see the point about gender-defined work can recognize that the job ghettoes are gone. That isn't what this gender thing is really about anymore.

Now it's about socializing our children so they accept a sexual identity that comes from the state, and which is incentivized. If you remain sexually 'conventional', you are centered out as 'cis-gendered', and if you 'come out', you gain social acceptance. It's preposterous! And the opposition isn't hateful bigotry -- it's a cry to leave our kid's alone!

Put differently, what stake does the state have in creating the present gender confusion in our school system? Hmmm? How is this better for anybody. including the transgendered? We are in a kind of social mania about this, an emperor-has-no-clothes situation. All we need is someone with guts and persistence enough to burst the bubble.

Gender is where the present political wars are being fought. Feminism was an earlier version, and this homosexuality focus is a spin-off from that. We have to give mainstream males the cultural equipment that allows them to accept their revulsion with homosexuality as merely something that defines them, rather than a form of bigotry thay have named "homophobia". We have to recognize that homosexuality is a health risk, and not something that should be encouraged in high schools.

I am only trying to persuade you that it is an issue in society at large, and all the parties pretend to support these changes, but their supporters are not so sure.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hundreds of churches, camps and charities protest abortion clause in Canada Summer Jobs grant application

'The very groups that the Liberal government claims to care about — students, refugees, children and people in need — will all lose because of these changes'

Brian Platt
Brian Platt

January 9, 2018
6:27 PM EST

Last Updated
January 9, 2018
6:31 PM EST

Filed under
Canadian Politics

OTTAWA — Churches and religious groups across the country are struggling over what to do with a confusing clause in the Canada Summer Jobs application that seems to require them to endorse access to abortions in order to get funding.

The new “attestation” on the grant application is aimed at anti-abortion groups who have received the federal grants in the past. It requires stating that your organization’s core mandate respects “reproductive rights,” along with other human rights, and the online application can’t be submitted unless the box is checked.

But hundreds of churches, charities, day camps and other religious organizations who hire students for summer programming are upset about the attestation, saying they feel like they’re being forced to sign a statement that goes against their beliefs.

“As a small Christian church that was planning to apply for the Canada Summer Jobs program to offer a summer internship, the recent changes have been quite a shock and disappointment,” said Brad Jones, the pastor at Woodgreen Presbyterian Church in Calgary.

He said their church has sponsored three Syrian refugees and offers a free English-as-a-second-language cafe to the community. “And yet, because of our commitment to the sanctity of life and to biblical teachings, our government is discriminating against us,” he said.

“The very groups that the Liberal government claims to care about — students, refugees, children and people in need — will all lose because of these changes.”
See AlsoJohn Ivison: No picking and choosing on the Charter, unless it suits Trudeau’s Liberals
Pro-life group says Liberals violating rights by forcing it to endorse abortion for summer grant
Liberals add caveat to summer jobs program funding as applications open

Rosemary Redshaw, the executive director of Ontario-based New Life Prison Ministries, a Christian organization that works with inmates, says she can’t sign the attestation because of her own beliefs and those of her organization, and thus can’t apply for the grant this year.

“We have had extremely successful summer placements of students of all backgrounds,” she said. “We will feel the loss of students this summer.”

The Canadian Council of Christian Charities, which represents 3,400 organizations, says it has been slammed with phone calls and emails about the new application form.

“Right now, many members are saying ‘we can’t sign this attestation,’ and if they don’t click it on the online application, their application is stopped,” said Barry Bussey, the organization’s director of legal affairs. He has been advising groups to send in a paper application with a letter that includes their own interpretation of the attestation.

The Evangelical Fellowship of Canada says it’s heard from 160 churches and organizations so far who are disturbed or confused about the attestation and aren’t sure if they can send in a Canada Summer Jobs application this year.

Employment Minister Patty Hajdu Colin Perkel/The Canadian Press

“The wording of the attestation is either very ambiguous and it needs to be clarified, or it’s completely unambiguous and it needs to be changed,” said Julia Beazley, the EFC’s director of public policy.

“The end result, whatever the intent may or may not have been, is that those who can’t check off that attestation are being denied equal access to a public benefit solely because of their religious belief.”

The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops says it is looking into the issue and is in discussions with other groups to decide on next steps.

“In addition to the obvious and unfortunate infringement of the freedom of conscience and religion in such matters as are raised by the new policy, there will be unfortunate consequences on the ground,” it said in a statement, saying service levels may be reduced by some organizations who rely on the grant for hiring.

Employment Minister Patty Hajdu’s office says the attestation refers only to a group’s “core mandate,” and that there’s a distinction between an organization formed solely to oppose abortion access and a group that holds religious beliefs that include anti-abortion views. It has been encouraging religious groups to apply. But that hasn’t mollified many organizations who are faced with having to check off the box.

The ministry’s Applicant Guide says the attestation is consistent with “the Government of Canada’s commitment to human rights, which include women’s rights and women’s reproductive rights, and the rights of gender-diverse and transgender Canadians.”

It says the government recognizes that “women’s rights are human rights,” and include “sexual and reproductive rights — and the right to access safe and legal abortions.”

The very groups that the Liberal government claims to care about -students, refugees, children and people in need - will all lose because of these changes

The attestation was added after a report came out last year showing anti-abortion groups had been receiving federal funding through the summer jobs program, which gives out grants for hiring students to small businesses, non-profits and public-sector organizations.

The government has already settled one federal court case involving three anti-abortion groups that were denied the grants before the attestation was added. It agreed to pay the grants and cover the other side’s legal costs. A new federal suit was launched last week by an anti-abortion group opposing the attestation.

The Canada Summer Jobs grants are normally a public relations bonanza for MPs, who build the lists of local priorities for their riding and then sign off on who gets the grants. The government announced an extra $113 million annually for the program last year, doubling the number of placements across Canada to 70,000.

But now the program has become controversial, with numerous stories already in local media where MPs are having to either defend the attestation (if they’re Liberals) or attack it as an unnecessary politicization of a federal grant program.

Conservative MP Ted Falk, the party’s critic for the file, says he’s heard from groups all over his rural Manitoba riding of Provencher, including from teen drop-in centres run by Youth For Christ and churches that run daycares and summer camps. He’s been telling them to send in a paper application with a letter.

“I wrote the minister a letter on Jan. 2 asking her to immediately rescind that requirement of the application, I have not heard back from her yet,” he said. “But I’m hoping that I will.”

The application deadline for 2018 Canada Summer Jobs grants is Feb. 2.

http://nationalpost.com/news/p.....pplication
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reiterate: The Conservative Party of Canada will run away from this like crazy.

On the one hand, they don't represent us if we resist being categorized by race and sex. The system fools itself into thinking that you eliminate 'racism' and 'sexism' by doubling down on it, but using race and gender in a 'redemptive' sense.

You don't just stop using race and sex to allocate jobs and social benefits. No. you use those categories to increase benefits and then distribute them on the basis of race and sex. Nowadays, being female is a job qualification.

The idea is that the managers of today can make up for practices of generations earlier. the reasons for which you don't understand. This makes them good people -- or so they think. They're good because they make their sons bear the cost.

What these "managers" overlook is that the 'redemption' is paid by a group that never committed the so-called offences. And the beneficiaries never were offended against.

Not that it matters. You see, they are "good people". Either that, or self-delusional morons.

The result is that sex and race are more salient than ever.

And the Conservative Party of Canada is too gutless to even deal with it Even individal Conservatives -- writing on the blog that supposedly brings together all the Conservative bloggers in the land -- cannot even speak of such things! At an individual level, it's contemptible. At a collective level, it's failure.

Get used to it. This party is not an alternative to anything.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheer accuses Trudeau of 'imposing' values on abortion with summer jobs grants

Application requires groups to attest to 'women's rights and women's reproductive rights'

By Joe Lofaro, CBC News Posted: Jan 12, 2018 3:40 PM ET| Last Updated: Jan 12, 2018 5:12 PM ET

Conservative Party leader Andrew Scheer said it's inappropriate for the federal government to decline funding for faith groups because of their positions on abortion.

Opposition leader Andrew Scheer is accusing the Liberal government of "imposing" the prime minister's views on faith groups that fear they will be denied funding for summer jobs due to their positions on abortion.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a town hall in Hamilton that groups are welcome to apply for the Canada Summer Jobs program, but if those groups infringe upon a woman's right to choose, "that's where … we draw the line as a country."

Scheer was asked about the policy Friday following his speech at an event hosted by the Mississauga Board of Trade, telling reporters his party has heard from concerned groups who are opposed to the application process. The revised application requires employers to attest that they uphold fundamental rights, including "women's rights and women's reproductive rights."

Under the program, MPs allocate federal funds to non-profit organizations and small businesses in their ridings. The change in the application process comes after a review last year that was prompted by revelations MPs approved tens of thousands of dollars in grants to anti-abortion groups in two ridings.

"I believe that the federal government should respect the freedoms that Canadians enjoy to have different beliefs and that by imposing personal values of Justin Trudeau on a wide variety of groups is not an appropriate way to go," Scheer said.

"They fear that they would not be able to provide those much needed services within their communities or provide young people with the experience. We've been talking with those groups and listening to their concerns," Scheer said.

"We have concerns with the way this Liberal government is treating people with different opinions on different issues."

Bible camp faces loss of $40K in funding

The Southern Alberta Bible Camp said it couldn't agree to the attestation and, as a result, now stands to lose approximately $40,000 for six summer counsellor positions.

"We don't believe that abortion is right and we're being told that in order to be able to access these [federal summer job] grants we need to affirm that," Jon Gartly, executive director of the SABC, told CBC News.
■Bible camps worry about losing Canada Summer Jobs money

Another camp, Camp Evergreen in Sundre, Alta., said it is unsure how it will proceed. "The initial reaction is that it would be very difficult for us to sign that," said executive director Bob Kroeker. He said he isn't sure if he will apply without the affirmation or forego applying entirely.

'We think this is a fair process'

Employment minister Patty Hajdu defended the application process Friday at a cabinet retreat in London, Ont., affirming groups are encouraged to apply for funding but must not "discriminate" against fundamental rights.

"We think this is a fair process," the minister said.

"I'm saying our ministry believes in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and these are fundamental expectations of Canadians, and we stand up for those rights — and that we ensure that the money that we disperse on behalf of Canadians is not used in a way that violates those hard-won rights."

The deadline for applying for 2018's Canada Summer Jobs program is Feb. 2.

With files from Anis Heydari

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politic.....-1.4484588
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( even fox news has taken notice of this story )

Canada's Trudeau: 'Removing Access to Abortion' Not In Line With Society

Jan 14, 2018 // 3:32pm

As seen on Fox & Friends

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took aim at pro-life groups during a town hall meeting, Fox & Friends reported.

Trudeau made the remarks to a group in Hamilton, Ontario, about 60 miles west of Buffalo, N.Y.

As Canada's National Post reported, a new clause in the grant application for the Canada Summer Jobs program appears to instruct them to "endorse access to abortions."

"An organization that has the explicit purpose of restricting women's rights by removing access to abortion... is not in line with where we are as a government and quite frankly where we are as a society," Trudeau said.

Trudeau appeared to try to tamp down criticism from conservatives who expressed concern for faith-based community organizations' ability to participate in the jobs program.

"So many of the great community organizations that we have working incredibly hard are faith-based across this country," Trudeau said, according to the National Post. "It's an important and wonderful part of our society."

However, a preacher at a Presbyterian church in Calgary, Alberta told the paper the government is "discriminating" against him and people with a "commitment to the sanctity of life and to biblical teachings."

Trudeau, 46, is the leader of the country's Liberal Party, and the son of former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.

Watch more above.

http://insider.foxnews.com/201.....ys-society
Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it interesting, when American networks start reporting on the Orwellian features that have crept into Canadian life since 2000, Canadians react! What is it, have they tuned Canadian news out? Or do they feel embarrassed when the bigger world sees us in a bad light?

I give Andrew credit. He didn't run away from it. I am heartened. I was wrong. I still wish he would make a stronger presence.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a liberal mp has broke ranks and admits the change in policy is not right and makes no sense )

Liberal MP says abortion clause in summer jobs program 'not right'

Scott Simms says community groups shouldn't be asked to disavow fundamental beliefs

Garrett Barry · CBC News · Posted: January 22nd 2018, 6:30:00 PM | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

MP Scott Simms represents the central Newfoundland riding of Coast of Bays — Central — Notre Dame. (CBC)

Newfoundland MP Scott Simms says he is petitioning his own government to reverse a clause in a student summer jobs program that requires groups applying for grants to attest to abortion rights.

The Liberal MP said its unfair that churches and Christian groups are being asked to violate their fundamental beliefs in order to receive funding for jobs and programs that are non-political, or unrelated to reproductive rights.

He's planning to write Patty Hajdu, the federal employment minister, to petition for a change.

"The application is asking them to do something that they shouldn't be asked to do for the sake of a summer job for kids," Simms told CBC Radio's Central Morning Show on Monday.

Liberal MP Scott Simms says the new changes for federal funding for summer jobs infringes on the religious rights of constituents in his riding of Coast of Bays-Central-Notre Dame. 7:26

Simms said he hoped the clause in the application could be written to be more specific, to only limit funding for jobs or programs that are actively involved in campaigning for changes to Canadian law.

The 2018 Canada Summer Jobs application currently requires employers to declare that, "both the job and the organization's core mandate respect individual human rights in Canada … these include reproductive rights."

This application, as it stands right now, is not right.

- Scott Simms

Simms said he has spoken and worked with many church-based groups who do "good work" in the community on issues unrelated to abortion.

"Just last week, I spoke with one of the churches about housing, affordable housing. The Salvation Army is constantly doing things for anti-poverty. So I have a close connection with these groups, and I represent them, even if we have a difference in belief."

A spokesperson for Hajdu has told CBC News that there is a difference between the beliefs of applicants and their core mandates, and that religious groups are not necessarily ineligible for the program.

Simms is asking Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour Patty Hajdu to change the rules surrounding grant applications for summer jobs. (Justin Tang/Canadian Press)

Simms estimated that while 95 per cent of prospective applicants in his Coast of Bays — Central — Notre Dame riding won't have an issue with the clause, another five per cent will.

He said it's unfair to suggest to the groups that they sign a declaration just to get funding, even if they don't believe in it.

"To me that's a lack of respect. If I was to say to someone, 'Look, don't worry about it, just tick the box or whatever' — some people have a core fundamental belief that they don't believe in this."

The MP said he's not sure what will happen now that he's speaking publicly against his government's decision.

"All I can do is I can look to the minister, I can look to the leadership and say, this application, as it stands right now, is not right."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....45?cmp=rss

Jump to: