Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Scheer's approach is failing: Geoff Stevens Reply with quote

Quote:
Dief-style attacks not working for Scheer
OPINION 12:00 AM by Geoffrey Stevens Waterloo Region Record

The most frustrated politician in Ottawa these days has to be Andrew Scheer.

He has been leader of the opposition for six months, long enough to have moved out of the shadow of his predecessor, Stephen Harper, and long enough to put his own stamp on the Conservative party.

It's also been long enough to build some momentum, as the majority Liberal government, suffering through the mid-term doldrums, keeps offering its opponents a menu of tasty issues — from tax reform and trade (NAFTA and China, for starters) to the conflict-of-interest struggles of Finance Minister Bill Morneau and the woes of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.

But the Conservatives have no momentum at all.

They have no traction (although neither, as yet, have the NDP under their new leader, Jagmeet Singh, but he's only been on the job for two months).

If an election were held today, the outcome would mirror the results of the October 2015 balloting.

According to last week's Nanos Research poll, the Liberals under Justin Trudeau have the support of 40 per cent of the electorate (up just a hair from the 2015 results) while Scheer's Conservatives are at 31 per cent (down one percentage point).

No one could accuse Scheer and his leadership team of lack of effort.

They have been relentless on chosen issues.

They have pounded Morneau with a ferocity that no cabinet minister has suffered since the heyday of John Diefenbaker, when the old Chief delighted in demolishing Liberals in Lester Pearson's cabinet.

Columnist Chantal Hébert calculates that Scheer and his caucus have fired more than 600 questions at Morneau since September, an average of better than 15 rockets per question period.

They have adopted the old Diefenbaker attack formula: If you make allegations often enough and loudly enough, people will start to believe you, even if you have no evidence aside from suspicion. And once you have wounded the minister, demean his character and demand his head, which Scheer did to Morneau last week.

There may be a couple of reasons why Scheer's tactic is not moving the needle in the opinion polls.

First, Canadians, as fascinated (or horrified) as people everywhere by the high-stakes drama unfolding daily in Donald Trump's Washington, may not be paying more than cursory attention to the goings-on in the Ottawa bubble.

Second, it is possible Canadians are losing interest in politicians who are great on the attack but not so great when it comes to putting up constructive ideas of their own (as Patrick Brown seems to have discovered in Ontario).

Whatever the reason, the polls hint of danger ahead for Scheer.

According to Nanos Research, which political insiders regard as reliable, while Trudeau's popularity has declined at midterm, he still leads Scheer by more than 20 points when Canadians are asked which man they would prefer to lead them. And 54 per cent say they would be prepared to consider voting Liberal as opposed to 38 per cent who say they would not.

Under Scheer, the Conservatives are losing serious ground to the Liberals in Quebec where, according to a Léger Marketing poll, the Liberals are nearly 30 points in the lead.

In an October byelection, the Conservatives lost Lac-Saint-Jean, perhaps their safest seat in the province, to the Liberals.

Today, voters go to the polls in four federal byelections, one of them in Battlefords-Lloydminster in Scheer's home province of Saskatchewan.

It is an important test for the new leader. Battlefords-Lloydminster should be a walk in the park for the Conservatives. They held the seat with 61 per cent of the vote in 2015. But the Liberals are targeting the riding.

Some loss of the support to the Liberals, who placed third two years ago, is entirely possible and would be an embarrassment to Scheer.

Loss of the seat, while barely conceivable, would be a huge humiliation.
https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/7989926-dief-style-attacks-not-working-for-scheer/

This is bad. Geoff Stevens is a dean of journalists' and one-time managing editor of the Globe & Mail. He's cast the first stone, so to speak. Maybe not, but if I am right on this one, it means that the journalists will start giving Scheer the Joe Clark treatment. With Joe, they publicized his every bumble, such as lost luggage ... even the ones that couldn't have possibly been his fault, and he became the personification of a nerd in politics. The public didn't entirely go for it, but he has become a kind of loveable loser, admired for his pluck more than his judgement.

Scheer is on his first step to becoming a similar comic character'in the mediasphere.

Are there any benchmarks here? Is there a time when we can talk about this?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine this is the pre-cursor to the knives coming out later this week if the CPC loses the By-Election in BC
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
I would imagine this is the pre-cursor to the knives coming out later this week if the CPC loses the By-Election in BC

ok but this article or opinion piece only references the Nanos polls that have had the liberals ahead for years and doesn't mention any of the other polls which have at times shown the 2 parties very close if not tied

it also tries to claim there is a realistic possibility of the liberals winning the Battlefords Lloydminster by election , a riding that has historically only been conservative or ndp .
considering the liberals are running the same candidate who got 16% of the vote in 2015 a year the liberals surged and gained new seats all over the country , it seems highly unlikely to me that they would win this riding .

I think there trying to read too much into trudeau's visit , he also visited the 4 ridings in alberta which had by elections and his visits failed to accomplish anything as liberal numbers about the same or lower in those seats

although I do agree the cpc might of asked too many questions about Morneau and it might be time to expand there questions to include new issues that Canadians are interested in , the morneau scandal is still important but it shouldn't remain the oppositions only focus as we move into 2018
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

ok but this article or opinion piece only references the Nanos polls that have had the liberals ahead for years and doesn't mention any of the other polls which have at times shown the 2 parties very close if not tied

it also tries to claim there is a realistic possibility of the liberals winning the Battlefords Lloydminster by election , a riding that has historically only been conservative or ndp .
considering the liberals are running the same candidate who got 16% of the vote in 2015 a year the liberals surged and gained new seats all over the country , it seems highly unlikely to me that they would win this riding .

I think there trying to read too much into trudeau's visit , he also visited the 4 ridings in alberta which had by elections and his visits failed to accomplish anything as liberal numbers about the same or lower in those seats

although I do agree the cpc might of asked too many questions about Morneau and it might be time to expand there questions to include new issues that Canadians are interested in , the morneau scandal is still important but it shouldn't remain the oppositions only focus as we move into 2018

The question I would pose is this;

What would you consider a good night for Scheer by way of the by-elections?
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

I don't know what you mean about the knives coming out. For me, it isn't about the BC seat. I can see that a campaign based on out-wimping the wimpiest PM we've ever had is probably misconceived. Scheer may have other qualities, but campaigning doesn't appear to be one of them.

I am wondering what can be done to make things work better? It's important to get this version of the Liberals out of power. You can see the tracks in the snow if you look at the McGuinty years.

Can I take you back to the discussion about a co-leadership? In the past, we thought everything is about language, and full French immersion would somehow 'resolve' a problem of trust. But language is only the line of defense. Quebec, in fact, is one of the most racially stable places on earth -- 350 years or so of the same group living in the same area, without wars on their lands and without much immigration ... it is a special place. Think of it this way -- it's like a whole society of cousins. They are related by language, yes, but also by a common history as a community, and a common gene pool. Blood.

It isn't a matter of finding an Anglo with Mulroney-like French. But what makes you think Mulroney was "English"? His mother was a French Canadian. Compare that to Trudeau, whose mother was Engllish-speaking. And both had strong mothers.

We think of Trudeau as French, and Mulroney as an Anglo, but really, they are uniquely bicultural people. We don't have too many of them, and all of them come from Quebec.

I think we have to go back to the old deal. Build separate conservative parties for each language group, and ways of overcoming language limitations to up participation for everybody. Have an understanding about the co-leader's independence. What it means is genuinely having the a French-speaking leader with a veto, who rotates in and out of the leadership like the other deputy-leader. Or some way of achieving the same thing more democratically. Remember, the issue is trust.

How could you get fewer than 5 seats in Quebec, with all signs of it getting worse? And how easy is it to form a majority without Quebec? The country can't work without something like this. We have to face Canadian political realities.

Anyway, I can go on forever but the real point -- is there any way for the membership and such to get involved?

Addenda: A TED-x talk that includes a discussion of the number of people who can actually use the other well enough to converse in it -- 17%, and most of them French-speaking Quebeckers. The meat starts at the 8-minute mark and goes for about 4 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nquKRW7W78I

He talks about the problem they have finding judges who can hear evidence in both languages.

Last edited by Bugs on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

The question I would pose is this;

What would you consider a good night for Scheer by way of the by-elections?

I don't know but all the predictions are that the liberals will do very well , so if he is able to prove his critics wrong and win some of the by elections that would be a start

realistically when you look at the 4 ridings , the Newfoundland riding is solidly liberal and only hope for cpc would be for an "improvement " in there numbers

Scarborough Agincourt has been liberal since the 80's and everyone thinks its going to stay liberal , so there is really no expectations of a cpc victory although they got 38% of the vote there last time so if they did better that would be positive news but a victory would be incredible but being the 416 conservative wins are rare so expectations are low

Battlefords Lloydminster has been conservative for years and if it didn't stay conservative that be a disaster although I don't think that's very likely and new candidate should at a bare minimum get 50% of the vote , but possibly less than Ritz as he was very well known

South Surrey White Rock has been conservative for a long time and obviously if they don't hold a core riding that is going to be bad news for him , but they only won by a small % last time so expectations are low for the cpc this election and a lot of people seem to be predicting a slim liberal win although one could argue a slim cpc win would also be possible using such logic

so we have 2 ridings the cpc should not win and do badly in and 2 ridings the cpc normally wins and should do well in , so I guess anything less than 2 victories tonight would not be a good night

but by 2019 no one will really remember these by elections anyways so one could argue they don't really matter in the long run and I think the conservatives will be well positioned to fight a nationwide election campaign by then regardless of tonight's results
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Liberals win 3 of 4 federal byelections, nab seat from Tories in B.C.
Conservatives keep 1 seat in byelections held across country Monday night
By Peter Zimonjic, CBC News Posted: Dec 11, 2017 6:19 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 12, 2017 7:21 AM ET

Having held former cabinet minister Judy Foote's Newfoundland and Labrador riding of Bonavista–Burin–Trinity early in the evening, the Liberals also went on to retain the Toronto riding of Scarborough–Agincourt before upsetting the Conservatives in the British Columbia riding of South Surrey–White Rock.

The Conservatives, however, retained the seat vacated by former Harper era cabinet minister Gerry Ritz who stepped down earlier this year.

It was the second time this fall that the Liberals were able to win a seat away from their Opposition rivals. Last time the victory came in the Quebec riding of Lac-Saint-Jean.

This time it came in South Surrey-White Rock.

While the NDP were not expected to feature during the contest, the drop in support will not be an encouraging sign for the NDP's newly minted leader, Jagmeet Singh.

Conservative Dianne Watts had stepped down as MP in South Surrey-White Rock. to run for the provincial leadership in B.C., leaving Conservatives to try and retain or improve upon their 2.5 per cent margin in the 2015 election, but that was not on the cards Monday night.

Findlay dismissed suggestions that the loss was a reflection on Leader Andrew Scheer, who has lost byelection seats twice since he became Conservative leader in May.

"What I've been hearing is they like Andrew.... People seem to enjoy his positive Conservative message and his approach," she said, adding that voters were concerned about "the Ottawa Liberals' higher taxes and low ethics."

She put the loss down to the fact that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called a "snap byelection" in the riding, before she'd even been nominated as the candidate, which cost her a week of the five-week campaign.

"I just think we didn't have enough time." [....]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politic.....-1.4443683

You can explain these losses away, but they have set a tone for our "nice guy" leader. While you can't say he's a loser, you certainly have difficulty in seeing him as a champion. The fact is that he can't seem to rally people behind the banner of niceness. He seems to be of the mind that we lost the election because of Harper!

Forget the excuses. I agree, for what its worth, that it wasn't a big loss. And it can't be attributed to anything Andrew did. I am looking at these elections as a weathervane, and the winds haven't changed direction. My way of looking at it may be deemed unfair.

What does the coverage say? It's building towards another loveable loser. You know what? When it comes down to it, nice doesn't cut it. He isn't nice enough to highlight the ugly underside of this government, or to enlighten people about the alternative choice.

Why do we have this strategy? Perhaps it's because Andrew is a one-trick pony? Could it be that he doesn't get nasty because it isn't in him to be nasty?

////////////////////////////////////////

I ask you, in this environment, would a little bit of Kevin O'Leary have made a difference? Would it be nice to have Mr Bad News to go along with Mr Nice Guy? And who do you think Mr & Mrs Oh-Oh-He's'-right would talk about when they get home?

I ask these questions to point in the direction of what we need to do. I think we need to reinforce this lame team. No doubt they have their qualities, but they are discreet men and manage to keep them hidden.

We must resolve never again to weigh the election so that those who never vote Conservative are fully represented. Further, we should replace the people who made that decision on the basis of failing their political intelligence test.

What drives me crazy is that all the pieces are out there, some of them kind of horny to get involved!
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously the media has the story they wanted , which is 3 of 4 seats going liberals , even though if you look thru the numbers there is hardly any evidence of trudeau mania . as voter turnout plunged in all 4 of the ridings and 2 of the liberal candidates who won did so with many less votes than past candidate did

churence rogers won with 8717 votes but judy foote got 28,700 votes in the same riding in 2015

Jean Yip won Scarborough Agincourt with 9091 votes but Arnold chan got 21,587 in 2015

Larry Ingram got 1345 votes but got 5550 in 2015 in battleford Lloydminster

so I hardly see evidence of trudeau mania , in fact it appears the liberal base is very unmotivated and uninterested in politics at the moment , they managed to get there core supports out but that was about it , 9000 votes strikes me as rock bottom for a liberal candidate in Toronto about as low as one could get and still win a by election

turnout was somewhat higher in South Surrey white rock where Gordie Hogg got 14,369 votes one of only 2 candidates to reach the 10,000 mark

the other being Kerry Lynn Findlay who got 12,752 votes , which would of likely been enough to win the riding under normal by election circumstances , had the liberals not found a star candidate and used the government jet to fly trudeau into the riding twice which surely had the cost taxpayers more than the $100,000 spending limit there is in place for a by election

the conservative candidate also did well in Scarborough Agincourt , 40% of the vote is a huge step in the right direction for the conservatives in Toronto . when considering how rare conservative victories are in Toronto these days . I'm sure Dasong Zou will be back and if the cpc continues to make inroads in the Asian communities in the Toronto area its highly likely to lead to actual seats down the road

the conservatives also showed signs of life on the east coast , 22% is close to 1 in 4 voters in that riding , to get 1 in 4 voters in a by election that was seen as hopeless and obviously going to be a liberal landslide isn't that bad , when considering they only got 10% of the vote last time
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

I don't know what you mean about the knives coming out. For me, it isn't about the BC seat.

What I mean is that nearly 78% of the party voted for someone else on the first ballot and Scheer has done a questionable job trying to unify a party that had 13 people seeking its leadership on election day and 17 who declared for it.

Two by-elections where the CPC had an incumbent they were defeated by an LPC who as able to attract better local talent to run in those ridings and that falls solely on the shoulders of the leader.

When the overwhelming majority of the party membership supported someone else and largely someone else for 12 ballots before winning I fully expect last night to be the starting of the rumbling of the divide within the party.

Bugs wrote:
I can see that a campaign based on out-wimping the wimpiest PM we've ever had is probably misconceived. Scheer may have other qualities, but campaigning doesn't appear to be one of them.

I am wondering what can be done to make things work better? It's important to get this version of the Liberals out of power. You can see the tracks in the snow if you look at the McGuinty years.

Can I take you back to the discussion about a co-leadership? In the past, we thought everything is about language, and full French immersion would somehow 'resolve' a problem of trust. But language is only the line of defense.

Whom do you suggest?
Bernier doesn't appear to want to be the second fiddle in Quebec, and rightly so as I would imagine he is the potential fist ballot victor in a 2019 CPC leadership election.

Dumont? Lord? Charest?
Who can the CPC attract that is going to be able to make an impact in Quebec? WHo is that Mulroney of this generation that swings Quebec back?

The NDP has cratered in a way that I couldn't have even imagined but its the Liberals and BQ who appear to be benefiting.
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if replacing him is the question. Jean Chretien passed off the job of in-the-House queries to the 'rat pack', and it seemed to work. He must have some kind of merit other than having parents that had the foresight to enrol him in French immersion.

Toppling the leader is a hard job. We should resolve never to pick a leader that way again. I mean weighted preferential ballots. It diminished the race and took all the sweaty deal-making out of it -- deal-making that, in fact, sets up the internal hierarchy of the party, at least at the starting blocks. It's important. Parliamentary government is a collegial affair.

We have to face the fact that the leading lights of the Harper government have largely left politics. What we have left is the culls, for the most part. We need the Kevin O'Learys and Max Bernier. I get sick when I hear people holding his taste for large-breasted shapely women against him. Look at what he can do for the party, look at the fact that he's 50+ now!

The Conservative Party has to show some teeth. Listen to me with an open mind. We are in the middle of an anti-male pogrom right now, with all these sexual allegations reaching a frenzy point. But before that, it was trashing statues, and we'd see it, except we don't have any heroes who have statues. Our kids are being taught they can be any gender they want, and girls get special treatment because they were treated so beastly over in Syria, or some reason or other ... this is where the culture is at at the moment, and the other side is even dissembling things like free speech -- and the Conservative Party of Canada is mute on the subject. The Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario is mute on the subject.

You can't fix anything if you can't talk about it, and negotiate a solution. That simple. Look at the case of Lindsay Shepherd, the TA from WLU. All she did was use the internet to reveal to the world the Orwellian world of Canadian higher education. And it has engaged the world. More people know Lindsey Shepherd's name than know of WLU's existence. Look at Jordan Peterson, who gets $50,000 a month in donations!

Seriously, this is what people are flocking to hear! Take this seriously! I ask people to watch this and consider its message and why it would be immensely popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XvI6Y5Yq8o&t=285s

He is making young people drop out of the activist politics the school system encourages, and instead start with cleaning up their room! It's unbelievable that we live in this mess without realizing how Orwellian it actually is. Or that our poor, brain-washed students are reaching out so hungrily for help and guidance in a culture where all the cultural maps only deceive.

Add to that the realization that Quebec doesn't want to go back to the Liberals, but now that they've seen Mulcair on the national stage, they are revulsed enough to consider it.

This arc our party is on is wrong-headed and has little prospect of success. There is no democracy in it. If Scheer is smart, he will recognize this.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but I think we need to step back and take a look at the bigger picture

according to some in the world , Justin Trudeau is one of the most popular progressive leaders on the planet , he was even on the cover of the rolling stone , branded " the northern star " , so popular thousands of people come out to see him literally anywhere in the country , he has 3.6 million followers on twitter

there was a by election in Toronto , the liberal media's home turf in a riding the liberals have held since the 80's and normally get 50% or more of the vote in , the liberals ran the widow of the former mp who died from cancer

Andrew scheer is a low profile opposition leader from Saskatchewan , who couldn't get any media coverage in the 416 market if he danced on the street and ran a first time candidate ( Dasong Zou ) who no one had even heard of before , scheer only has 51,000 followers on twitter

in the by election in Scarborough Agincourt ,

Trudeau's candidate got 49% of the vote or 9091 votes

Scheer's candidate got 40% of the vote or 7448

a difference of only 1643 votes

considering the context of this by election the liberals should of increased there % and blew the opposition away but they didn't and that should give liberal strategists a reason to worry
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
but I think we need to step back and take a look at the bigger picture

according to some in the world , Justin Trudeau is one of the most popular progressive leaders on the planet , he was even on the cover of the rolling stone , branded " the northern star " , so popular thousands of people come out to see him literally anywhere in the country , he has 3.6 million followers on twitter

there was a by election in Toronto , the liberal media's home turf in a riding the liberals have held since the 80's and normally get 50% or more of the vote in , the liberals ran the widow of the former mp who died from cancer

Andrew scheer is a low profile opposition leader from Saskatchewan , who couldn't get any media coverage in the 416 market if he danced on the street and ran a first time candidate ( Dasong Zou ) who no one had even heard of before , scheer only has 51,000 followers on twitter

in the by election in Scarborough Agincourt ,

Trudeau's candidate got 49% of the vote or 9091 votes

Scheer's candidate got 40% of the vote or 7448

a difference of only 1643 votes

considering the context of this by election the liberals should of increased there % and blew the opposition away but they didn't and that should give liberal strategists a reason to worry

I think that is a fair point;
Ontario has been largely the region that the CPC has made its gains over the last few months within.

Its also the largest single pool of seats in the country.

While losing the BC riding was unfortunate, securing a strong result within a 416 riding is interesting and even promising as even with turnout being down, it appears that CPC voters were motivated to go to the polls.

The pessimist in me would argue that Wynne is hurting Trudeau in Ontario, but I would also imagine that Trudeau isn't helping himself in Ontario either.

The real test will be a non-GTA Ontario riding becoming available.

Last edited by cosmostein on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the CPC needs to go hard after Chicoutimi—Le Fjord.
The CPC was respectable in the riding prior to the rise of the NDP in Quebec;

Its also basically the riding next to Lac-Saint-Jean.
The Tories tried to secure the mayor (at that time) of Saguenay Jean Tremblay for Lac-Saint-Jean and the issue was he wanted to finish his term (which ended on Nov 17th);

If there is a mutual interest than Chicoutimi—Le Fjord would be ideal.
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the same kind of margin in Surrey, and the turnout was light. Hogg won by about 1700 votes.

I am talking about changing the strategy of the party more than changing the leadership. It would require an internal rebellion, which is messy and imposes other penalties, and makes the party look disorganized and not ready for power.

And I don't find anything offensive about Andrew even if I think there was a better choice.

Scheer represented the continuation of Harper's policies, with an improvement in media relations that would come from "niceness".

I shudder when I see such naivety in the arena. Harper was more correct. The media is an enemy, not just in the sense of calling politicians to account, across the board, but in the sense that they have a special animus against conservatives. A leader has to compel the press gallery to cover his announcements. He has to enter that arena as a kind of entertainer, and he has to understand how to play the media.

And you can't do that by being an ordinary schlubby suburban couch potato. Who wants to watch "Dad"? "Dad" is now a cartoon character in the pop culture. Feminism has made sure that fathers are the most degraded social role of all. Homer Simpson is their best representation. In family sit-coms, the dad is usually absent or a buffoon. In men's fashions, not dressing like dad is a goal.

Dad can get angry, dad can be righteously angry in defence of his family, but never on his own account. How do you play that out in the pop culture while being nice and unthreatening? With the feeling that the way you get supporters is by being a toady.

That's what has been lost here. Harper was not nice and unthreatening, and he won. We want a leader with teeth.

///////////////////////////////////////////////

All that international celebrity is a cheaply bought commodity. Trust me, his celebrity is based on his blithering platitudes, his smarmy ways, and the sharp crease in his pants. The Rolling Stone is not at the top of the heap when it comes to political journals. It's a fan magazine, and Trudeau has fans around the world. Not big fans, but fans ... particularly amongst those who don't have to live under his regime.

Our problem is that we aren't forcing attention on the carbon tax thingy, and the consequences. But there are other issues that are harder to make real, like the borrowing. Believe me, before this is over, the borrowing will be horrendous, and we will be right back in the same situation as we were after Trudeau, which cost us a decade of economic stagnation, the GST tax and more.

But the public doesn't see that connection because conservative politicians don't show how these are the results of bad policy. They just start looking for a new leader. Now we are at the bottom of the barrel, recruiting leaders from a minuscule pool of those who have passable French in English-speaking Canada, and have some political experience, and know how to get and use power. (Most of the French-speaking people in Toronto come from Arab countries.) It isn't easy.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
I think the CPC needs to go hard after Chicoutimi—Le Fjord.
The CPC was respectable in the riding prior to the rise of the NDP in Quebec;

Its also basically the riding next to Lac-Saint-Jean.
The Tories tried to secure the mayor (at that time) of Saguenay Jean Tremblay for Lac-Saint-Jean and the issue was he wanted to finish his term (which ended on Nov 17th);

If there is a mutual interest than Chicoutimi—Le Fjord would be ideal.

the Chicoutimi riding has some potential but far from a likely pickup ( the cpc's best hope here would be a split of left of centre votes among the ndp , bloc and liberals ) , but I agree they should launch serious campaigns in any open ridings moving forward , the reality is the party needs to expand its base and needs some new seats

there has already been 12 by elections and realistically might not be that many more before 2019 so any open ridings need to be looked at seriously

I haven't seen anything on any possible candidates yet and the by election doesn't have to happen until June legally

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: