Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.C. by-election a test of Trudeau’s popularity, Scheer’s rookie leadership

Open this photo in gallery: THE CANADIAN PRESS

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer, right, campaigns with South Surrey-White Rock Conservative by-election candidate Kerry-Lynne Findlay in Surrey, B.C., on Dec. 4, 2017.

DARRYL DYCK/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Laura Kane

SURREY, B.C.

The Canadian Press

Published 1 hour ago

Updated December 7, 2017

Inside a colourful candy shop in a bustling Vancouver suburb, Andrew Scheer and Kerry-Lynne Findlay marvelled at delicate British chocolate bars, chewy Red Vines and an edible Monopoly board.

The Conservative leader and byelection candidate weren't shopping just to soothe a sugar craving. They were making a political point about small business taxes, an issue they're pushing to be front and centre in South Surrey-White Rock.

"People are saying, 'I'm paying a lot higher taxes than I was before. I'm being called a tax cheat because I'm an entrepreneur with a small business,' " said Findlay, 62, a former national revenue minister.

The riding is one of four across Canada where a byelection will be held Monday, but it's anticipated to be the closest race. Conservative Dianne Watts won by just 1,400 votes over the Liberal candidate in 2015, while the NDP placed a distant third.

The vote arrives midway through Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's term and it's expected to test his popularity, as well as the potential of rookie leader Scheer, ahead of the 2019 election. Both men have visited the riding twice and both have suggested the outcome will indicate whether the Liberal surge of 2015 is continuing or waning.

"Two years ago, in the election, Canadians didn't randomly or suddenly change who we are," Trudeau said at a recent rally to support Liberal candidate Gordie Hogg, 71.

"We have always been progressive, forward-thinking, open, compassionate, ambitious people," he said. "It was just about getting a government that recognizes that."

South Surrey-White Rock has older, wealthier and whiter demographics than other ridings in Surrey, which is the fastest-growing city in Metro Vancouver. It's home to a picturesque waterfront and an array of restaurants, shops and other small businesses.

In July, Trudeau's government announced plans to close loopholes that it said have allowed high-earning business owners to avoid higher taxes. The measures included changes to "income sprinkling," which allows owners to split income among family members.

After a backlash, the government said it would cut the small business tax rate from 10.5 per cent to nine per cent by 2019.

Hogg said he and Trudeau are committed to cutting taxes for small businesses, while the Conservatives voted against a tax cut in 2015 for "middle-class" Canadians earning between about $45,000 and $90,000 a year.

"To me, their record is more important than their rhetoric," said Hogg. "This byelection is about electing the strongest positive voice for our community, and only Justin Trudeau and I have a positive plan to strengthen our middle class and offer real help for families."

The seat became vacant after Watts resigned to run for leader of the B.C. Liberal Party, an informal coalition of federal Conservatives and Liberals.

Byelections will also be held in Battlefords-Lloydminster in Saskatchewan, previously held by the Conservatives; Bonavista-Burin-Trinity in Newfoundland, a Liberal seat; and Scarborough-Agincourt in Ontario, also won by the Liberals in the last election.

In South Surrey-White Rock, Hogg has name recognition and deep roots. He was White Rock mayor for 10 years before being elected to the B.C. legislature for two decades. Findlay, meantime, represented Delta-Richmond East in Parliament from 2011 to 2015.

Asked about her connection to the riding, Findlay said her parents lived in the community and she has also lived there at various points, including after she was widowed at 34 and was raising her children alone. She said she moved to White Rock this summer.

The NDP candidate is Jonathan Silveira, 40, a real estate agent and founder of advocacy group Surrey Kids Matter. He said the byelection was an opportunity to train new volunteers and strengthen relationships, but added he was serious about winning.

"There are two big sharks fighting here. I am not afraid of the fight as well," he said.

New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh has not joined Silveira in the riding.

Trudeau's recent rally with Hogg in Surrey drew hundreds. Some were not local voters, however, including a Syrian refugee who said she wanted to thank Trudeau, and a visitor from Singapore who wanted to see the famous Canadian politician in person.

The prime minister is pictured alongside Hogg on campaign signs, indicating confidence among Liberals in Trudeau's popularity.

Scheer and Findlay, however, said they've heard from people who have "buyer's remorse" after voting Liberal in 2015.

It's hard to predict a general election based on byelections, Scheer added, because the latter generally have lower turnouts, and local issues become amplified over national ones.

"But I think we would love to send a signal, mid-term, that what the Liberals have been doing for Canadians isn't working."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-by-election-a-test-of-trudeaus-popularity-scheers-rookie-leadership/article37233956/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be a real test for Andrew.

He is having a narrative created for him. He's the guy who voted against tax cuts for business, to hear them tell it. We are taken into the world of the small chic shoppe owner, where coffee is sold like wine, and everyone frets about the environment. Let's say the article has slant. I wish there was more about how the people passing through those shops felt.

Trudeau, with his star power and his shameless use of platitudes and flattery, oils his way through his appearances like a professional actor, opposed by our Andrew, the nerdy suburban husband who is rallying people with "buyer's remorse". It's like the trumpet-call for the losers.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

He is having a narrative created for him. He's the guy who voted against tax cuts for business, to hear them tell it. We are taken into the world of the small chic shoppe owner, where coffee is sold like wine, and everyone frets about the environment. Let's say the article has slant. I wish there was more about how the people passing through those shops felt.

Trudeau, with his star power and his shameless use of platitudes and flattery, oils his way through his appearances like a professional actor, opposed by our Andrew, the nerdy suburban husband who is rallying people with "buyer's remorse". It's like the trumpet-call for the losers.

they are a real test for the opposition but whats interesting is so far the level of participation from them is rather low in some of the ridings

Scheer appears to have visited South Surrey White Rock twice and Scarborough Agincourt once ( although coming back according to posts online )

Dasong Zou‏ @DasongZou · 22h22 hours ago

Join us this Saturday for the home stretch of the campaign! @AndrewScheer will be helping us get out the vote too!

but he doesn't appear to have been to the Newfoundland riding ( likely to far from Ottawa and a very unlikely cpc riding ) , he also hasn't been to Battlefords Lloydminster a supposedly safe cpc riding although the ndp have been going thru an upword swing in Saskatchewan lately but riding should stay cpc

Jagmeet Singh appears to have done even less by election campaigning which is really surprising , he has been to scarborough Agincourt once but doesn't appear to have been to the other 3 at all ( although he was in Newfoundland just before by election called )

also not sure if Green leader Elizabeth May has been to any of the 4 ridings either

whats surprising is PM trudeau will have been to all 4 and historically PM's don't even campaign in by elections ( especially ones that are seen as uncompetitive ) so to out campaign the opposition leaders and visit more ridings is rather unheard of
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five candidates battling for Battlefords-Lloydminster seat

Battlefords-Lloydminster byelection candidates
Candidates in the upcoming Battlefords-Lloydminster byelection, from left to right: Conservative Party candidate Rosemarie Falk, New Democrat candidate Matt Fedler, independent Ken Finlayson, the Liberal Party's Larry Ingram and the Green Party's Yvonne Potter-Pihach.

Kevin Menz and Jennifer Jellicoe, CTV Saskatoon
Published Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:15PM CST

Candidates from three major political parties and an independent will be vying to take Saskatchewan’s Battlefords-Lloydminster seat from the federal Conservatives next week.

Five candidates are running in Monday’s federal byelection, which will see a new face replace long-serving MP Gerry Ritz in the House of Commons. Ritz had held the seat — with the Conservative Party of Canada since 2004, but also with the Reform Party and the Canadian Alliance — for two decades before announcing his resignation in August.

Rosemarie Falk, a social worker and mother born and raised in Lloydminster, aims to keep the seat in the Conservative Party’s hands.

The 29-year-old spent a few months on Parliament Hill as an assistant to Conservative MP Arnold Viersen before electing to run. She says being young is an asset.

“I have energy; I have enthusiasm; and I am ready to hit the ground running.”

Falk will be up against New Democratic Party candidate Matt Fedler, the Liberal Party’s Larry Ingram, the Green Party of Canada’s Yvonne Potter-Pihach and independent candidate Ken Finlayson.

Fedler, a program coordinator for the Canadian Mental Health Association, is looking to up the number of federal NDP seats in Saskatchewan to four. The mixed martial arts fighter and former University of Regina wrestling captain was born and raised in the North Battleford area.

He said he doesn’t mind being an underdog in the race.

“I saw this opportunity to pull off the upset here and build on the momentum the NDP has here provincially, winning the last two byelections,” Fedler said.

Ingram, who ran for the Liberals against Ritz in 2015, is a small business owner and sheet metal contractor. He’s served on the council for the Rural Municipality of Mervin, and was born and raised in Turtleford.

A win for him would bump the number of Liberal seats in Saskatchewan to two — Ralph Goodale holds the Regina-Wascana seat.

Ingram said a Liberal MP in Battlefords-Lloydminster would make a big difference.

“I think that would have a positive outcome for the area, with having the nine reserves and where we’re going with reconciliation,” he said.

The Green’s Potter-Pihach, who lives in Lucky Lake, travels the province, working as an agricultural inspector. The mother of three holds a bachelor of science, specializing in agriculture, from the University of Saskatchewan.

Ken Finlayson, a long-haul trucker and a rancher raised in the Battlefords area, is running as an independent.

The byelection will be one of four across the country Monday. Byelections are also being held in British Columbia’s South Surrey-White Rock riding, the Newfoundland and Labrador riding of Bonavista-Burin-Trinity and the Scarborough-Agincourt riding in Ontario.

Polls in the Battlefords-Lloydminster riding will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. CT on Monday.

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/fi.....-1.3709953
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTV Toronto did a short clip about the Scarborough Agincourt by election , there seems to be a lot of opposition signage on homes in the riding , definitely saw a lot of cpc signs , the ndp also claim to have signs up on homes

but realistically the tories would be happy to say they came in a strong second here , as early on it didn't seem like this race would even be competitive as liberals running the widow of an mp who passed away and normally that pretty much guarantee an easy victory , it would be a major shock if she doesn't win even more shocking than the Scarborough Rogue River provincial by election

so if the race was really now competitive that by itself would be a good sign for the party although some are saying Wynne's unpopularity at provincial level may partly be to blame

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1278919
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
Bugs wrote:

they are a real test for the opposition but whats interesting is so far the level of participation from them is rather low in some of the ridings

Scheer appears to have visited South Surrey White Rock twice and Scarborough Agincourt once ( although coming back according to posts online )

Join us this Saturday for the home stretch of the campaign! @AndrewScheer will be helping us get out the vote too!

but he doesn't appear to have been to the Newfoundland riding ( likely to far from Ottawa and a very unlikely cpc riding ) , he also hasn't been to Battlefords Lloydminster a supposedly safe cpc riding although the ndp have been going thru an upward swing in Saskatchewan lately but riding should stay cpc

I don't mean to imply that attracting bigger crowds than Trudeau is easy. Not only has Trudeau got a legacy, in his father's name and his mother's penchant for empathetic drivel, but he is being promoted by a giant campaign. He casts himself as the face of the party -- and little else. But who wouldn't be attracted to the glamour, the noise, the flash?

Nor do I know if Scheer presents himself effectively when he does get a crowd. I hope so. Often enough, people come across on television very differently than they do in real life. I once met a CBC-TV announcer who sometimes read the news. He didn't have much of an on-camera career, but he was successful behind the scenes. In face-to-face interaction, he seemed overly agreeable, the kind of guy you'd want to keep away from salesmen. But on camera, he had some gravitas and presence.

If the Conservatives win, Andrew will deserve some of credit and it will possibly signal that the public is getting a little tired of Justin's nonsense.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason the CPC is likely to lose South Surrey White Rock is because the LPC has borrowed a page from Harpers old playbook.

Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River
Roberval—Lac-Saint-Jean
Montmagny—L'Islet—Kamouraska—Rivière-du-Loup
and Vaughan

These were all ridings that the CPC won while in government that they have zero business winning.

BQ & LPC ridings historically and in some cases with nearly zero CPC ground game in the riding.

However, they understood that by-elections were more about local issues rather than Federal ones and assured they secured popular and known candidates within the ridings.

The Liberals hit a home run in landing Gordon Hogg to be their candidate.
He was on city council in White Rock for two decades, one of them as mayor then was the areas MLA for a decade.

The guy even coaches little league.

Whereas the CPC opted to slide in a former Minister who lost her riding in 2015, who appears to have a great resume by I am struggling to find her ties to this community.

This riding has a strong Conservative base, but if you aren't giving them a reason to go out and vote you will certainly lose the by-election.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
RCO wrote:
Bugs wrote:

but he doesn't appear to have been to the Newfoundland riding ( likely to far from Ottawa and a very unlikely cpc riding ) , he also hasn't been to Battlefords Lloydminster a supposedly safe cpc riding although the ndp have been going thru an upward swing in Saskatchewan lately but riding should stay cpc

I don't mean to imply that attracting bigger crowds than Trudeau is easy. Not only has Trudeau got a legacy, in his father's name and his mother's penchant for empathetic drivel, but he is being promoted by a giant campaign. He casts himself as the face of the party -- and little else. But who wouldn't be attracted to the glamour, the noise, the flash?

Nor do I know if Scheer presents himself effectively when he does get a crowd. I hope so. Often enough, people come across on television very differently than they do in real life. I once met a CBC-TV announcer who sometimes read the news. He didn't have much of an on-camera career, but he was successful behind the scenes. In face-to-face interaction, he seemed overly agreeable, the kind of guy you'd want to keep away from salesmen. But on camera, he had some gravitas and presence.

If the Conservatives win, Andrew will deserve some of credit and it will possibly signal that the public is getting a little tired of Justin's nonsense.

I don't know how much leaders effect the outcome of by elections as there often "local " contests in the sense

a visit by the leader certain helps boost the candidates campaign but a lot more goes into running an effective campaign than just bringing the leader in once or twice

the fact the conservatives have decided to not bring Scheer into the Sask by election would to me indicate they feel there local ground game is strong enough already and that the candidate doesn't need his support

and to bring him into the BC riding twice would seem to indicate they felt they needed the boost and felt his first visit was successful enough to justify a second one
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
The reason the CPC is likely to lose South Surrey White Rock is because the LPC has borrowed a page from Harpers old playbook.

Roberval—Lac-Saint-Jean
and Vaughan

These were all ridings that the CPC won while in government that they have zero business winning.

BQ & LPC ridings historically and in some cases with nearly zero CPC ground game in the riding.

However, they understood that by-elections were more about local issues rather than Federal ones and assured they secured popular and known candidates within the ridings.

He was on city council in White Rock for two decades, one of them as mayor then was the areas MLA for a decade.

Whereas the CPC opted to slide in a former Minister who lost her riding in 2015, who appears to have a great resume by I am struggling to find her ties to this community.

This riding has a strong Conservative base, but if you aren't giving them a reason to go out and vote you will certainly lose the by-election.

Kerry Lynne Findlay definitely has ties to the riding and general area , pretty sure I saw a post that indicated she voted in the by election so she must currently live in the riding , she seems to have been involved in BC politics for years and even ran in the 2000 election doing surprisingly well in Vancouver Quadra

but she was an mp for Delta Richmond East which is close by to this riding , from an Ontario sense it sort of be like someone from Oakville running in Burlington

the liberals are clearly using this by election as an attempt to claim there support is surging in BC although everyone seems to think there only in the by election cause they found a great local candidate

I also think its disgusting that trudeau is campaigning in all the by elections and flying across the country in a government jet to do so , rather than be in Ottawa and actually do something productive for Canadians
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservatives see opportunity for momentum in B.C. by-election

Open this photo in gallery: THE CANADIAN PRESS

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer, right, campaigns with South Surrey-White Rock Conservative by-election candidate Kerry-Lynne Findlay in Surrey, B.C., on Dec. 4, 2017.

DARRYL DYCK/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Ian Bailey

VANCOUVER

Published December 7, 2017

Updated 12 hours ago

Kerry-Lynne Findlay says she sees a bigger dynamic at play in the outcome of next week's South Surrey-White Rock by-election than who voters send to Ottawa.

With a general election coming in 2019, the Conservative candidate says a win could bode well for her party, which is looking to regain seats it lost in British Columbia and elsewhere in Canada in the previous federal election.

"One could see that winning here could help build momentum towards that 2019 run," the former national revenue minister said in an interview.

Conservative Dianne Watts prompted Monday's by-election by quitting the seat to seek the leadership of the BC Liberals, an informal coalition of federal Liberals and Conservatives – the two parties fighting for the riding.

Ms. Watts won South Surrey-White Rock, southeast of Vancouver, in the 2015 election by such a narrow margin over her Liberal opponent – 1,439 votes or about 3 per cent of the vote – that both parties believe they have a chance of winning the seat now.

Voters are also going to the polls Monday for by-elections in the Newfoundland riding of Bonavista-Burin Trinity, Saskatchewan's Battlefords-Lloydminster and east Toronto's Scarborough-Agincourt. But, distinct among them, South Surrey-White Rock is too close to call.

"We're going to have to work our butts off right until the end," said former BC Liberal cabinet minister Gordon Hogg, acclaimed as the federal Liberal candidate in the riding created by redistribution ahead of the 2015 election. In previous configurations, the riding has tended to support conservative parties.

The close Tory-Liberal record in the riding has Liberals and Tories rolling in their biggest political guns. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and federal Tory Leader Andrew Scheer have each visited twice. But there has been no sign of federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh. The NDP won about 10 per cent of the vote in 2015.

During a party fundraiser last month at a downtown hotel, Mr. Trudeau gave a shout-out to Mr. Hogg, 71, alluding to his 20-year record as a member of the B.C. legislature and 10 years as mayor of White Rock, a seaside community in the riding. "Gordie? Where are you, Gordie?" Mr. Trudeau said. "Come Dec. 11, he will make an excellent MP."

Mr. Trudeau noted that British Columbia elected 17 Liberal MPs – the most in Canadian history – in the 2015 federal election. "Let's break our own record and make sure, we have 18." Mr. Trudeau said the path ahead includes taking care of Dec. 11 and then gearing up for 2019.

In his riding visits, Mr. Trudeau drew hundreds of spectators. However, Ms. Findlay shrugged off the attention. "He's the Prime Minister so there's always going to be interest," she said. "It's not very often that the Prime Minister comes to town."

In a statement, Mr. Scheer said Mr. Hogg, as an MP, would have voted with Liberals against such measures as seeking transparency from Finance Minister Bill Morneau on questions around his personal finances and the 2016 Conservative motion to condemn violence by the Islamic State as genocide (the Liberal government instead referred the issue to the United Nations for a determination).

"What South Surrey-White Rock needs is a representative that will stand up against poor decisions from the Ottawa Liberals, not stand with them, and Kerry-Lynne Findlay will be that strong representative."

Responding to a survey in the Peace Arch News newspaper, Ms. Findlay said key issues in the riding include affordability for seniors, taxes on "working families" and local businesses and concerns about eligibility criteria for the federal disability tax credit, affecting those with diabetes. Among the issues Mr. Hogg cited were affordable housing, transit and crime reduction.

Mr. Hogg said he could best serve the community by joining them in government. "I've been in opposition and I've been in government and I know that, in opposition, you spend a lot of time trying to do things that has no impact."

Ms. Findlay, 62, said she is offering Ottawa experience. In 2015, she was defeated in nearby Delta by current Liberal cabinet minister Carla Qualtrough. She says she decided to run again because she thought she had the credentials to hold the Liberals to account. "This is a place where I can show leadership because of my past experience," she said.

During this campaign, she says the Tories are appealing to their base, but also trying to win back Tories who gave the Liberals a try in 2015 as well as Liberals disaffected by aspects of Mr. Trudeau's record in power.

"By-elections don't come up that often. … By-elections tend to be a referendum on the governing party. It's an opportunity, without a change in government, for people to comment on the direction of the governing party," she said.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/conservatives-see-opportunity-for-momentum-in-bc-by-election/article37233956/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( trudeau visited the Sask by election on his way home from china trip , making him the first party leader to visit the riding which is somewhat surprising as its not a riding the liberals typically even do that well in )

Trudeau to visit North Battleford to back Liberal byelection candidate

Larry Ingram and Justin Trudeau
Larry Ingram, the Liberal candidate for the upcoming Battlefords- Lloydminster byelection, poses with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. (Facebook)

CTV Saskatoon
Published Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:35PM CST

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will be in Saskatchewan this evening, backing the Liberal Party’s candidate for the upcoming Battlefords-Lloydminster byelection.

Trudeau is scheduled to be in North Battleford for a meet-and-greet event with candidate Larry Ingram at the city’s Dekker Centre.

Ingram is up against four other candidates in the Dec. 11 federal byelection, which was declared following long-serving Conservative Party MP Gerry Ritz’s resignation. Rosemarie Falk is running as the Conservative candidate; Matt Fedler is aiming to win for the New Democrats; Yvonne Potter-Pihach is running for the Green Party; and Ken Finlayson is an independent candidate.

Ingram ran for the Liberals against Ritz in the 2015 federal election.

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/tr.....-1.3711768
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( ralph goodale also appears to have visited the riding , not aware of any big name conservatives or ndp mp's also coming to visit )

Ralph Goodale visits the Battlefords

John Cairns , Staff Reporter / Battlefords News-Optimist

December 2, 2017 08:06 AM

Battlefords-Lloydminster Liberal candidate Larry Ingram (right) welcomed Liberal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale to his campaign office in North Battleford near the Frontier Centre on Sunday, where Goodale met with local stakeholders as well as Liberal supporters on issues of concern to the riding. Photograph By John Cairns

The Liberal campaign of Larry Ingram got some big-name assistance Nov. 26 in Battlefords-Lloydminster.

Minister of public safety Ralph Goodale was in North Battleford. He was at their campaign office near Frontier Centre where he met supporters and held meetings with various stakeholders in the community during the day.

Goodale said his main motivation for being in North Battleford was to support Ingram and his campaign in the riding.

“I got to know Larry two years ago in the federal campaign of 2015,” said Goodale. “We became good friends at that time and I was delighted to hear he was interested in running again in this constituency in the by-election.”

He said Larry “had the skill, but even more importantly, the real determination and dedication to be a wonderful Member of Parliament.”

The meetings Goodale was involved in particularly focused on housing and community-development issues facing North Battleford and the surrounding area. It included meetings with representatives of various First Nations in the area, as well as city officials.

Community safety coordinator Herb Sutton confirmed at Monday’s council meeting that he had met with Goodale; he added Goodale also met with members of the Battlefords Affordable Housing and Homelessness committee (BAHA).

Goodale said he was discussing “the opportunities we can envisage for co-operation and collaboration to make sure we are tackling the social issues that need to be addressed and grasping the economic opportunities.”

He noted the federal government is rolling out a new national housing strategy, something that the Battlefords and region could take advantage of.

Goodale said a number of people in the Battlefords and area had “very good ideas about the kinds of investments that both the government of Canada and the province of Saskatchewan can make jointly in and around the Battlefords to improve the quality of social housing and affordable housing, to improve the physical supply of social housing, and to create a much more satisfactory inventory of facilities here.”

He also pointed to the economic spinoffs in jobs and growth. “When you’re investing in housing, you’re also investing in economic development.”

A related issue for the region is crime, a topic that recently received national attention in an article in Maclean’s magazine.

In the wake of that article, Mayor Ryan Bater indicated in media reports that he wanted to see federal and provincial programs and policies aligned with the city’s needs on that issue.

“I’m anxious to pursue that with the mayor, because I think he’s got a point,” said Goodale.

As for how the federal government could assist, Goodale pointed to the government’s launch of a national strategy on gangs and community violence. The feds will be contributing $100 million a year to community-based approaches to dealing with gangs and violent crime, and that would be in addition to other efforts currently in place.

There have been efforts to address the gang issue before, but Goodale said there “needs to be much greater co-ordination and there needs to be more resources behind it.” He also indicated an approach that involved all levels of government was necessary.

“All levels of government and all programming within levels of government needs to work collaboratively together.”

Goodale had plenty to say on other initiatives the government is pursuing, such as their commitment to infrastructure investment as well as investment in agriculture.

He pointed to the Canadian Agricultural Partnership, announced recently by federal agriculture minister Lawrence MacAulay at Regina’s Agribition. It amounts to a $1 billion federal investment in agriculture over the next five years.

On trade issues, Goodale noted the government’s agenda highlights ”every single one of the trade priorities from the province of Saskatchewan.”

He spoke of more access for beef and pork into Asia and Latin America, and he also welcomed the demise of Country of Origin labelling in the USA. Goodale also pointed to the feds’ recent fight with China on possible restrictions that were going to be imposed on Canadian canola last year.

“We won that fight with the Chinese,” said Goodale, adding “that’s a $2 billion per year market for Saskatchewan producers.”

The minister also noted new legislation was being finished up to prevent the kind of issues farmers faced from the rail-backlog situation of a few years ago. The changes ensure the rail companies are on the hook if they don’t honour their contracts with farmers to deliver grain to the ports in a timely manner.

“We’ve changed the law, so there are consequences – reciprocal penalties,” said Goodale.

In general, Goodale describes the Liberal by-election pitch to voters as coming down to “shared prosperity, growth, and fairness – those are the key things.”

However, the Liberals still have a steep hill to climb in Battlefords-Lloydminster, a riding the Conservatives have held over the last 20 years.

One policy the Liberals have struggled mightily to gain traction on in the region has been the carbon tax issue. Goodale explained there were benefits to a national carbon tax for the province of Saskatchewan, particularly when it came to getting pipelines approved across the country.

“The issue is how can you best put a price on pollution, so that we can integrate economic policy with environmental policy,” said Goodale.

“You need that to approve pipelines. And Western Canada needs pipelines,” said Goodale. “If your pipeline policy ignores or drives right by environmental policy, you’ll never get the approvals. The last 10 years have demonstrated that.”

Goodale also pointed out the province would have the first right to design the program, and that all the revenue comes to the province, not Ottawa.

That opens a range of options for the province, he said.

“They could decide to roll back all of the tax increases that were in last spring’s provincial budget,” Goodale said.

“It’s those tax increases that created the backlash in Saskatchewan that got the provincial government into such hot water! With a price on pollution, they could actually eliminate all of those tax increases, and still be money ahead for the province of Saskatchewan.”

For his part, Ingram welcomed Goodale’s involvement and particularly the fountain of information he provided.

“I’m thinking it is absolutely awesome that he took time out of his busy schedule to give me the support that he is giving me today,” said Ingram.

“He has a really good handle on the Indigenous situation and the Indigenous issues, and the housing issues. I think that his ideas and knowledge on agriculture far surpasses that of my own, and I’m thinking it’s just awesome that he comes and gives us this information today.”

As for his own campaign efforts, Ingram says they have continued to knock on doors and get their message out, and are now focusing on getting people out to vote during the advanced poll period Dec. 1-4 and on Election Day Dec. 11.

http://www.newsoptimist.ca/new.....1.23111147
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the visits by high profile liberals to the Battlefords Lloydminster riding seem particular odd considering its electoral history . it seems that the ndp and liberals are battling it out for second at this point , to be able to say you came in second is hardly worth a visit by a PM . and larry Ingram is not a star candidate , rather dull and uninspiring candidate who already was rejected by the voters once before

its hard to figure out how the local cpc campaign is going as Rosemarie Falk seems to have a limited online presence , only able to find a few posts on instagram and a rather quiet twitter page , odd considering she's running in a by election . ( also can't find evidence of any cpc mp's or such coming to the riding to help her ) but it be shocking if either the ndp or liberal candidate even managed to come within 20% of the cpc in this riding

its surprising Jagmeet Singh hasn't even been to the riding as the ndp campaign seems active and oddly optimistic considering there past results
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, this is a time to remind people that Justin is only the face of the Liberal party, which is a machine. I used to think of him as a hood-ornament, but (after his performance in China) I think that gives him too much gravitas.

He needs to be kept on a shorter leash. He's pretty big news in Canada, and even more so in places that don't get to glimpse celebrity very often. We have to face it, he was on the cover of the Rolling Stone. But he shouldn't be allowed to roam, without a muzzle, in places where the genuinely powerful hang out.

He makes people think Canadians are a bunch of simpletons.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

Roberval—Lac-Saint-Jean
and Vaughan

Kerry Lynne Findlay definitely has ties to the riding and general area , pretty sure I saw a post that indicated she voted in the by election so she must currently live in the riding , she seems to have been involved in BC politics for years and even ran in the 2000 election doing surprisingly well in Vancouver Quadra

but she was an mp for Delta Richmond East which is close by to this riding , from an Ontario sense it sort of be like someone from Oakville running in Burlington

the liberals are clearly using this by election as an attempt to claim there support is surging in BC although everyone seems to think there only in the by election cause they found a great local candidate

I also think its disgusting that trudeau is campaigning in all the by elections and flying across the country in a government jet to do so , rather than be in Ottawa and actually do something productive for Canadians

The fact that she lives in the riding is a low bar to define her ties to the community.
She clearly has ties to the general area but no where near that of Hogg in the specific riding.

All I am saying is that if they lose, they lost because the LPC was able to attract a better candidate much as was the case in Lac-Saint-Jean.

The Liberals are basically doing exactly what the CPC use to do in By-Elections.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

Jump to: