Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that the Democrats appear to be keeping their team solid under the pressure. I would have thought that once the Democrats knew they had lost the vote, that they'd free vulnerable senators to vote for the tax cuts to save their seats.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't over yet, but almost all agree -- passage of the new tax plan will be a watershed moment for Trump. It will end up giving him the big legislative victory that has eluded him, it is likely to be very popular in the moment, and the only question -- will the good, industrial jobs begin to return to America?

And if they do return, will robots do them?

There are huge looming problems in that regard. We can see that there's a tremendous drive going on right now for 'driverless cars'. The technology is being integrated into cars for a few years now, such things as rearview screens replacing mirrors. Who was demanding that in 2010? It's probably the results of research into driverless vehicles.

But guess what the biggest employer of working-class men is? They call it the transportation sector, but much of it is big trucks driven by working-class men supporting families. Those trucks are already monitored from satellites and have governors on their motors. They can be shut down remotely. Right now, they do it if the driver has driven more than the hours he is allowed.

It is quite likely that within a decade, all the big highway trucks will be driven by robots. A mainstay in the economy will be gone for a whole segment of the population, but the trucks will still be on the road. And this is Trump's base!

That's only one aspect of this problem. The question I am trying to make vivid is that the new factories may be staffed with robots rather than workers. Technology may take what were the 'right steps' a few decades ago into a political morass.

But we won't know about that for a decade. The thing about Trump -- things seem to end up going his way.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I am surprised that the Democrats appear to be keeping their team solid under the pressure. I would have thought that once the Democrats knew they had lost the vote, that they'd free vulnerable senators to vote for the tax cuts to save their seats.

What surprised me was how aggressively Jon Tester went after the GOP Tax Plan.

The issue is that the Democrats are basically lining up behind the notion that this plan won't result in middle class Americans keeping more of their money but a contention that they will ultimately play more.

If this goes into effect as of January and all of a sudden most Americans end up with more money in their accounts on the 1st and 15th of the month you certainly hinder your credibility on the issue.

Tester's comments in particular could easily become a campaign ad in November if the cuts in fact to do result in the folks in Montana keeping more of their money.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: