Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Political Correctness has silenced free speech: poll Reply with quote

An interesting report on polling results. A lot of the info is presented in charts so it can't be reproduced here.

Quote:
Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share
By EMILY EKINS SHARE

The Cato 2017 Free Speech and Tolerance Survey, a new national poll of 2,300 U.S. adults, finds that 71% Americans believe that political correctness has silenced important discussions our society needs to have. The consequences are personal—58% of Americans believe the political climate prevents them from sharing their own political beliefs.

Democrats are unique, however, in that a slim majority (53%) do not feel the need to self-censor. Conversely, strong majorities of Republicans (73%) and independents (58%) say they keep some political beliefs to themselves.

It follows that a solid majority (59%) of Americans think people should be allowed to express unpopular opinions in public, even those deeply offensive to others. On the other hand, 40% think government should prevent hate speech. Despite this, the survey also found Americans willing to censor, regulate, or punish a wide variety of speech and expression they personally find offensive ... [....]
https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-71-americans-say-political-correctness-has-silenced-discussions-society-needs-have-58-have

I think it testifies to one of the reasons -- only one -- that pollsters are having trouble getting accurate information on the hot issues.

I think it's worse in Canada. I have in the past posted material that was crazy extreme about gender issues, and I have hardly had a response. Find me a Conservative who will make a public statement about transsexuals. Find me the man who will talk about feminism, for example, if his wife is within earshot.

Intimidation is the hallmark of our times.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the title of the article;

71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

Is an apt concern.

There are hard discussions that need to be had;
The problem is that we have many who are of the mindset that honesty without context is cruelty, whereas honesty is simply honesty.

We cannot gloss over facts and reality because someone may be offended by it and that is the context of the political sphere right now.

Far too many rebuttals to valid points are simply to shout them down;
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is -- we do gloss over the facts in order not to offend -- all the time.

Just as an example: why do men not challenge the preposterous claims that feminists make about men? Why to they, instead, look for individual absolution. Instead of challenging the idea that a woman can do anything a man can do, they go along. Why? Why indeed? Do we dare go into those dark areas of motivation?

If men and women were equal, we wouldn't need a Women's Olympics. We do. I wonder how many men would beat the fastest woman in the world? How about tennis? How many of the players on the men's tour could Serena Williams beat? McEnroe says she'd be ceded 700th place or so on the men's tour, even though she's the best female player ever.

Yet it you challenged such a notion in public, you'd risk being set upon by a pack of she-wolves. Someone might mention it to the people in HR.

If one of our sex gets publicly humiliated and has their livlihood destroyed for a thought crime, does a single male pipe up?

When Trudeau cashiered the MP for screwing a woman who willingly accompanied him to his hotel room after drinks, and thoughtfully brought her own condom -- without even asking for his side of the story -- did a single guy say, hey, wait a minute?

Is it not the case that an increasing number of executives won't be alone with a woman in the room for fear of bullshit charges? Does anyone have an estimate of the number of men fired annually for upsetting women?

And yet men sit quietly, heads bowed, and go tsk tsk tsk over these cases, and pretend to side with the women because ... you know ... the women might give them a pat on the head. Or turn the guns on them.

Women don't act like that. Women almost always side with other women. If a woman is beating on a man in public, women will say He must have said something that got her upset. And how can they be expected to side with anyone who gets a woman upset? Everyone is supposed to accept that the nearest man is to blame for a woman's moods.

But if a man is belligerent with a woman in public, people will call 911 or intervene. And they'll say there's never a reason to bellow at a woman. Getting into such a dispute is probably a good way for a man to get beaten up by a stranger.

We are now being entertained by a bunch of aboriginal women, who have been given a free shot at white males by PM Pussycat, and they are so wound up in a cat-fight that they are blowing their chance to justify yet another raid on the treasury of Canada. The government megaphone is on, blasting at us the horror of violence against women, never justified ... but didja know that men are approximately 11 times more likely to confront violence in their lives, by actual statistics?

We are all asked to pretend that women suffer from bad treatment, that we live, in fact, in a rape culture -- and the girls, who know friggin' well how untrue that it, who often exploit their sexual identity all day every day, will rally to any woman who's visibly short of a crack whore to any cause whatever. They still as saying to themselves that Ghomeshi must have done something. Why? Because wmen never lie?

Female aggression and bullying has reached such an extent that they will bring the law in to regulate the way men sit! And men don't even peep! How many men made a fuss about Ghomeshi, for example? Or Cosby? Or O'Reilly? Or any of the rest. Does anyone notice -- none of the convictions stand up, but they are ruined anyway?

I will tell the other men on here something that I bet they can't honestly say. I am proud to be a man. What is wrong with my heritage as a man, worse as a white heterosexual man, even what might be called the dreaded Anglo-Saxon white male -- tell me, what is wrong with that?

I am a member of a group that few other demographic, sexual, or national groups can match. Does that add to my worth? I don't think so. But I am fucked if I am going to be shamed for it. I don't take any achievements away from anybody, and I don't think it's something to lord over others -- but it isn't something to be ashamed of. I do not live in a rape culture and I won't pretend any longer.

Maybe you folks -- men and women -- who are so ashamed of your parents and the social world they built can accept this bullying. That's up to you. But not me.

Jump to: