Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      


Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 5671
Reputation: 281.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Trunp Effect hits the NFL Reply with quote

This is amazing. You may not know, but the crowds are not coming out for NFL football. The internet has pictures circulating of the empty seats durng games this weekend. Some of them appear close to half empty. It's like only the season's ticket-holders have shown up.

The reason? The protesting players refusing to stand for the national anthem as a form of support for Black Lives Matter.

I heard some broadcasters talking about what it cost them to take the family to a football game if you include all the bells and whistles. The total was approaching $1000. There must be cheaper ways to see a regular season top football game, but at the prevailing ticket prices, concession prices, and souvenir prices, you can see how taking four people could cost more than a 50" flat screen TV. So it's easy to pass up a football game.

Trump has given voice to the common sentiments of his base, and all the rest has happened spontaneously. He has re-framed the meaning of the protest into one of respect for the flag and love of country. The players have been losing respect ever since.

Quote:
Trump effect hits the NFL -- Teams with more protesters were more likely to lose
John Lott By John R. Lott, Fox News

Sunday brought a lot of controversy, with numerous NFL players kneeling during the national anthem. But it was also an interesting day for football, with a lot of big upsets. And President Trump may have played a role. The teams with the most players kneeling or sitting during the anthem were more likely to lose. This also includes teams that stayed in their locker rooms. [....]
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion.....-lose.html


There's lots of examples in the full article. The major exception -- the Seattle Seahawks.

I think this is an amazing display of cultural power at work. I wonder -- could Madonna have done this, in her prime? Or Lady Gaga today?
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 1079
Reputation: 115.9
votes: 4
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trump effect? Ah yes...Fox news.

Well, sorry to burst their (yours?) bubble but the trump effect is minimal.
Trump is right, ratings are down but there are myriad reasons why, and he is the least of them.

One of the main ones is younger gen's are cutting the cord. No cable, no games. The NFL isnt the only one w this problem.

Its the game that can dictate the numbers (which are never encompassing all the eyeballs) insofar as weak vs weak teams. Who wants to watch lousy teams?

Thursday night game last week. Viewership up 38% ...whaa....? Noooo...Fox , whats happening? Oh yeah, much better teams vs last year, so good...stay tuned...lousy game/teams....tune out.

That $1000 those broadcasters you heard? Well....naw too.

Avg cost of a game for four is $503. Nice try though. Was it on Fox too ?

Lots of tickets left for the San Fran game...at $14 per it would seem a long way from a $1000.

Funny, whoever thinks the NFL ratings drop is primarily due to Trump fails in the long run since NASCAR is way down too. One may think, and are probably correct , that NASCAR is trump supporters so how does this work now?

It doesnt. There are may reasons on top of Trump that are the cause.

ETA: dont forget that much of Trumps shitting on the NFL is due to him suing (and losing) the NFL and he knew/knows he would never be allowed in as an owner. Hell , Johnny Bassett knew that a long time ago and called Trump out on it, letting him know he (Trump) was a bully and an idiot.
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 5671
Reputation: 281.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect, I think you are denying reality.

Quote:
... Shots of the stadium, like the one above, made clear that attendance was dismal for the primetime game. Despite claims that attendance was over 70,000, anyone with eyes could see that the stadium was largely empty, with even some of the best seats in the lower bowl left untaken.

As SFGate noted, tickets were available on secondary markets for just $14 — about the price of a beer and hot dog inside the stadium. And still, few people found the time to support the Niners in person.

People on the internet took notice, inspiring headlines including "The 49ers and Rams Played a Great Game in Front of an Empty Stadium" at The Big Lead and "It Appears Not Many People are Physically at the Rams-49ers Thursday Night Game" from Sports Illustrated.
http://www.businessinsider.com.....own-2017-9


The picture included in the article illustrates the point.

And I can't resist: The average cost for four to go to a game is $500+. I would imagine you can get a big flat screen TV in San Francisco for that.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It's the same with the senators that are withdrawing from politics rather than go into a primary battle that they know they are going to lose. Why? Because people are lining up behind Trump's agenda.

Not the metrosexuals in big cities, not the campus activists, not the Wall Street bankers, not the single mothers on the mooch, but these are not the mainstream. All over America, ordinary people are pleasantly surprised by the Trump presidency and are supporting him.

The plain fact is that there is no opposition politician that they trust as much as they trust Trump. Am I wrong? Or is TC?
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 5671
Reputation: 281.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NFL HELL: Ticket Prices Fall To $10 As Teams Struggle To Fill Stadiums
You can get a ticket to a Buffalo Bills game for the price of a Starbucks latte.

ByEMILY ZANOTTI December 10, 2017 201.5k views

The NFL protests have been lucrative for social justice charities — they'll receive a whopping $89 million in "settlement" money, redirected from veterans and breast cancer charity funds — but they're also becoming a boon for cash-strapped football fans.

It turns out, if you can still stomach a professional football game, you can now get tickets for about the same price as a couple of Starbucks lattes.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/24519/nfl-hell-ticket-prices-fall-10-teams-struggle-fill-emily-zanotti#exit-modal


This is an astounding display of individual cultural power.
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 1079
Reputation: 115.9
votes: 4
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:


This is an astounding display of individual cultural power.


Perhaps for the minor percentage it dictates ...ok.

But the shift is from cable by youngsters cutting the cord, lousy teams in some spots (funny Bills vs Colts , both horrible so good choice to use that game) and a general disinterest due to the nature of the game. (many folks are tired of concussions and kids arent playing the sport)

Of course those that denigrate the NFL via Trump lose points (not to mention credibility) since NASCAR is in an even worse spot than other sports, and NASCAR fans are the base of Trump. Cletus the slack jawed yokel is staying home and watching on TV.
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 5671
Reputation: 281.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it's Trump 1, NFL 0 ... Amazing how much cultural power the People's tribune has ...

Quote:
... the NFL had a terrible year in 2017, naming all the woes the league faced on its trend to the bottom of America’s professional sports scene. But he also noted that despite its fall from its once lofty perch as far and away the most popular sport, the NFL is still a huge draw on TV and is still earning billions.

In his December 30 analysis, Roberts started out rounding up the NFL’s negatives for 2017:

Quote:
Primetime television ratings are down nearly 10% overall on average this season; players took up the mantle of Colin Kaepernick from last season and began kneeling or raising a fist during the national anthem to protest police brutality, alienating some fans and forcing NFL corporate sponsors to take sides; President Trump fueled the political narrative by targeting the league in tweets and at live rallies; and a polling firm says the NFL is now one of the most divisive brands in America.


The writer also noted that “Fewer Americans now identify themselves as football fans compared to five years ago, while fans of the NBA and NHL have grown, according to Gallup.”
http://www.breitbart.com/sport.....n=20180102


So, if TV audiences are down by 10% -- what would the effect be on salaries be? More data! In 2016, the total revenues were about $13 billion, whcih meant that 1800 players got a little less than half of that -- they say $6.5 billion.

Quote:
The $13+ billion revenue figure is even more notable because it is halfway towards Goodell's stated goal of $25 billion, which he claims the league will reach by 2027. When Goodell made that announcement in 2010, revenues were only $8.5 billion, meaning the league has brought in an estimated $750 million annually over the last six years... keeping them right on track for the $25 billion mark.

Where is all the new revenue coming from? The largest portion is the escalation in television rights fees from the leagues broadcast partners, including ESPN , NBC, Fox and CBS,
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2016/02/29/thanks-to-roger-goodell-nfl-revenues-projected-to-surpass-13-billion-in-2016/


So TV is the biggest source of revenue, Presumably they have lost the $750 million annual increase ... and will have some trouble negotiating new contracts, you can bet.

It isn't hard to imagine that Colin Kaepernick has cost the NFL a $billion! That's a measure of Trump's cultural power.
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 1079
Reputation: 115.9
votes: 4
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

It isn't hard to imagine that Colin Kaepernick has cost the NFL a $billion! That's a measure of Trump's cultural power.


Only for those who , still ,and in face of posted materials they never read, never had a clue in the first place.

Trump...

:roll:

Keep on the ignorant roll . You are doing just fine. Do your old cronies in the little burg supported by Toronto's largesses think the same like you ?

Probably why you seek them out.
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 5671
Reputation: 281.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone who can tell me if TC said something? Anything?

His comments seem to me to fall somewhere short of drivel. Either that, or he is so twisted with Trump Derangement Syndrome that he can only sputter when confronted with the objective truth.

Sputtered insults ...

Well, no need to take him seriously in 2018! Just a Liberal Party windbag.
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 1079
Reputation: 115.9
votes: 4
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:


His comments seem to me to fall somewhere short of drivel. Either that, or he is so twisted with Trump Derangement Syndrome that he can only sputter when confronted with the objective truth.

When you post it I will agree, but being a fan boy of Trumps and blowing smoke up the Orange is not my style, yours ok but not mine.

Trump has virtually no affect on the NFL and your links confirm it. People have been tuning out for years and it has been ramped up this year.
Why?
CTE
Racism over Colin K
people are bored with it .

Nascar is full of idiots like you and its dropping faster than the proverbial stone? Why? Its Trump country so.......
Quote:

Sputtered insults ...

True that, but always with the truth instead of made up lies you have been caught out on.

Your are not clever at all and well....I see thru your fan boy spewings quite easily.YOu are welcome to take me down and refute with knowledge but thats asking too much. You enjoy the musings from your simple mind.
Quote:

Well, no need to take him seriously in 2018!.

No need at all.

Better than being laughed at !

LOL! Thanks, I needed a good laugh and voila, you came along.
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 5671
Reputation: 281.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks can make up their own mind.

I don't even know what TC is saying. On the one hand, he denies that Trump has any significant cultural lower, and on the other he says its because of the racism of football fans and even NASCAR.

All I can say is this: What lies? I bumped into some reports from Forbes, a financial magazine of high repute, a posted them. Those reports state that the TV audiences have declined by 10%. That has financial consequences, particularly since the increasing NFL revenues come from TV contracts. I drew the obvious conclusion.

So Forbes is wrong, and TC is right? TC claims audiences have been declining for years. Forbes says that the contracts have provided the NFL with revenues that increase by $750,000,000 a year for a few years! It's hard to see how that can be happening if audiences have been declining.

Does this make me a Trump fan-boi? Or is TC a Hillary fan-grrl?

I personally don't care, but it's hard to understand how anyone can support a criminal.
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 1079
Reputation: 115.9
votes: 4
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..ok, lets look at this and post info to verify.

But word of caution, you will have to take your lips off the Orange ones arsehole to read.
Quote:

Through ten weeks of the 2017 season, the average attendance at NFL games is actually up slightly, from 68,914 per game in 2016 to 69,264 per game this season. In addition, while the home stadiums fluctuate each week, there is no obvious sign that attendance has dropped since the start of the season. In fact, the NFL had its highest average attendance of the season in Week 9 (continued below).
However, it doesn't tell us if ticket sales will be hurt as a result of the growing criticism this season, especially from President Donald Trump. The true impact of the backlash this season won't be felt until the 2018 season, if at all.

The other issue to keep in mind is that attendance figures do not necessarily tell us how many people actually attended the games. Since 2005, the NFL has encouraged teams to report "tickets distributed" as opposed to the actual number of fans that pass through the turnstiles. Tickets distributed includes tickets sold and tickets given away (e.g. charity donations).
http://www.businessinsider.com.....et-2017-11


Quote:
While the NFL attributes the decline in ratings to the presidential race, a study conducted by Rasmussen Reports shows otherwise. Approximately 1,000 American adults participated in a telephone questionnaire on Oct. 2-3 that revealed nearly one-third (32 percent) are “less likely to watch an NFL game” due to players taking a stand and protesting the national anthem. Thirteen percent want to watch a game because of the protests. Fifty-two percent do not base their viewing choice on the protests at all. But the league executives disagree.

“There is no evidence that concern over player protests during the national anthem is having any material impact on our ratings. In fact, our own data shows that perception of the NFL and its players is actually up in 2016,” the executives wrote in the memo.https://theundefeated.com/features/nfl-viewership-down-and-study-suggests-its-over-protests/


Quote:
Trump claims kneeling players hurt NFL attendance. Facts say otherwise.

Trump also says NFL ratings are falling
The president is on firmer footing when he claims that the league's TV ratings are down. The average NFL game in the first eleven weeks of the season saw 14.85 million viewers, down 7 percent from the same period last year, according to the most recently available Nielsen viewership data.

Still, dipping viewership is not a problem unique to the NFL. NASCAR ratings were down 10 percent February through June, recovering in the second half of the season, when its ratings were down 2 percent, according to Nielsen data. Another Sunday-night king that once boasted ratings rivaling "Sunday Night Football," AMC's "The Walking Dead," hit a six-year ratings low this year, according to Deadline.

How Americans feel about the protests
“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!’” Trump asked an Alabama crowd in September.

According to polls, a majority of Americans wouldn’t love that. A Reuters/Ipsos poll released days after the Alabama rally found that 57 percent of Americans disagreed with Trump's view that players should be fired for protesting, while 68 percent of Americans felt that Trump’s comments were inappropriate, according to a survey by USA TODAY/Suffolk University.

There is some indication that the protests could tarnish the NFL's reputation in the eyes of some. Both polls indicated Americans are divided on whether or not the protests are appropriate, and in the Reuters poll, 37 percent of Americans said their view of the NFL was less favorable after the protests.

While the president is correct to note that football ratings are down, he's exaggerating those numbers, as well as the slight decline the NFL has seen in attendance. There's also little to no evidence to support his claim that the anthem protests are behind either of these declines.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-claims-kneeling-players-hurt-nfl-attendance-facts-say-otherwise-n824646


Quote:
The NFL's ratings are down. But national anthem protests aren't the whole story.
President Trump wants to blame the protests — but most of the decline is driven by cord-cutting.


Quote:
It's important to point out that even though the NFL's numbers are down from last year and drastically down from two years ago, the league still brings in the biggest ratings on television. Yet, a 6% drop is nothing to ignore.

The root cause of the declining numbers could stem from a myriad of issues that range from bad games to bad press coming from Trump's attacks against the league.

"Last year, it was easy to blame the decline on election coverage," wrote Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. "This year, it's harder to pinpoint the precise reason."
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/1.....index.html


Quote:
Is the president right? Yes and no. Yes, in that there is little question that football viewership, the jewel of the cable bundle, is in decline; and this, in itself, is an important media story. But also no, since it’s not clear that either the president or the protests are the primary culprit.

First, the ratings. It’s important to beware headlines about bad ratings for one particular game, or one specific week. Football isn’t like a television show that airs with the same characters on a weekly basis. Instead, there are 32 teams playing a 17-week round-robin, with four main television windows for NFL action: early Sunday games (airing at 1 p.m. Eastern Time), later Sunday games (airing around 4 p.m. Eastern), Sunday Night Football on NBC, and Monday Night Football on ESPN. For any given week, ratings could easily be down in one window and up for another, depending on the star power of the players, the quality of the game, and the popularity of competing shows.
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/09/nfl-ratings-trump-anthem-protests/541173/


I will hazard a guess that you will be busy ignoring all these refutations about Trump being the man that causes the downturn in viewership.

But anyway, this should shut down any fan boys circle jerking that Trump has much of anything to do with this.

And of course, Trump is such a baby when he got refused in the NFL for ownership (not to mention Bassett called him an asshole re the USFL) and now whines like a baby.

LOL !

This is fun !


Last edited by Toronto Centre on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 1079
Reputation: 115.9
votes: 4
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Folks can make up their own mind.

Only when they arm themselves w facts.

That excludes you.
Quote:

I don't even know what TC is saying. On the one hand, he denies that Trump has any significant cultural lower, and on the other he says its because of the racism of football fans and even NASCAR.

Oh sorry. Here, let me dumb this down for you so you can understand

You say Trump is the reason behind the lower ratings/attendance/viewership . And thats because he tweets incessantly about the NFL. So his minions turn off the TV.

But Trump doesnt say squat about NASCAR and they are bleeding a bit too.

So the corollary is if you mantain that Trump caused NFL hassles, then Trump caused the NASCAR hassles.

Yea...NOpe !
Quote:
All I can say is this: What lies?

Hang on , they are coming..
Quote:
I bumped into some reports from Forbes, a financial magazine of high repute, a posted them. Those reports state that the TV audiences have declined by 10%. That has financial consequences, particularly since the increasing NFL revenues come from TV contracts. I drew the obvious conclusion.

..and there ya go.

Your dishonesty is attributing Trump to be the main cause. Forbes NEVER said that it was because of him. That comes from you and perhaps some alt right shitshow you wanna look at. ( confirmation bias is a problem you have)
Quote:

So Forbes is wrong, and TC is right?

Never said Forbes is wrong. So if I dont think they are , then I cannot be wrong either.

What Forbes ascribes the downturn to be about? Trump? Oh my LOLOLOL you aint no good reader are you my little small town friend ?
Quote:
TC claims audiences have been declining for years. Forbes says that the contracts have provided the NFL with revenues that increase by $750,000,000 a year for a few years! It's hard to see how that can be happening if audiences have been declining.

I did?

Please show me where. Thanks in advance. (of course now you will ignore/run and hide/ not bother as per usual)
Quote:

Does this make me a Trump fan-boi?

When one blatantly and wilfully posts completely made up shit that a Grade Niner could refute....yea, thats fan boy-ism to the max.

Quote:

I personally don't care,


Standard respones when one is horribly embarassed by facts.

You get that a lot dont you?
Quote:

but it's hard to understand how anyone can support a criminal.

Whos the criminal ?

LOL.
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 5671
Reputation: 281.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, losses of about a $billion this year, who knows about next year?

Trump is only now hitting his stride.

Who's the crimnal? asks Hillary's fool. There are reports that charges are being prepared against Huma already.

And, oh yes, Trump's button is definitely bigger ...
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 1079
Reputation: 115.9
votes: 4
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Yeah, losses of about a $billion this year, who knows about next year?

Oh yea...another thing pulled out of your ass.... and of curse wrong again. Is that red on your face a tan or embarassment or rosacea?

A billion dollar loss = $900M more than last year.

There a saying one should stop digging when near the bottom. Guess no one told you that. Sorry.

Here ya go .
Quote:
The NFL will take in roughly $14 billion of revenue this season, over $900 million more than last year.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.....venue.aspx

Quote:

Trump is only now hitting his stride.

And, oh yes, Trump's button is definitely bigger ...

Only a fan boy would think that. The majority are appalled at his lack of decorum.
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 5671
Reputation: 281.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's it wrong? What's your basis for your statement?

You are talking about the present TV contracts. I am talking about Trump's cultural power. The test is what happens when the contracts are renewed. My bet is still that Kaepernick will cost the NFL a $billion before this is over.

You act like you know. What a hypocrite! You are saying these things, not on the basis of facts, but on the basis of your desire to refute whatever I say. You just can't stand the other point of view.

An example of others who are afflicted with Trump Derangement Syndrome: Trump responded to Kim Il Un's bragging about having a nuclear button on his desk ... with a tweet, essentially saying he had a red button too, only his is much bigger and actually works.

Most of the world had a good laugh.

But not the pundits. For them, it was everything from a provocation that would lead to World War III, to adolescent taunts of a sexually insecure white cis-gendered male.

They too claim to "know".
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Trunp Effect hits the NFL

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB