Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Scheer stigmatized by connection to The Rebel Media? Reply with quote

When I see this, I wonder how Andrew Scheer could be so low-energy that he would just sit around while allowing the other side to define him. And yet, that's what's happening.

Quote:
Andrew Scheer's Ties to Rebel Media Are Now Impossible to Deny
The Tories are downplaying their new campaign manager’s alt-right past—but he drove Ezra Levant’s business strategy

BY JUSTIN LING
PUBLISHED OCT. 20, 2017

There are few pairs of words that have become as toxic as quickly as “the Rebel” has in Canada in recent months. Maybe “Weinstein Company” or “tiki torch.”

But Ezra Levant’s online opinion site has attracted particular acrimony thanks to a litany of colossally unwise moves, even by Levant’s own admission: one of his most front-facing stars, Faith Goldy, travelled to Charlottesville, Virginia, to report favourably on the alt-right demonstrators and to appear on an avowedly neo-Nazi podcast; several of its big-name acts flew to Israel to make anti-Semitic jokes and call for a crusade redux; and Levant himself tried to offer hush money to some disgruntled workers to shut up and go away.

In the eye of the growing chaos was Hamish Marshall, a corporate director of the Rebel and a long-time Levant ally. Marshall’s newest gig, announced this week, is campaign manager for the federal Conservative Party. Andrew Scheer bestowed the honour on Marshall after Marshall helped propel the Saskatchewan MP to the position of leader for the second-place party this summer.

But Scheer is already being dogged with questions about the appropriateness of tapping a man so close to the Rebel’s death star. When the questions popped up again this week, Scheer had a less-than-confident answer.

“I didn’t ask Hamish about every client he had,” Scheer said in response to a question from the Globe and Mail. “He has a variety of clients. He’s a small-business owner himself, and I asked him to do a job and he helped me out on my campaign.”

The Conservative Party, which did not respond to a request for comment from The Walrus, told the Globe that Scheer was, in fact, aware of Mashall’s involvement with the far-right website. Marshall confirmed to the newspaper that he had worked on Scheer’s leadership campaign from the Rebel’s office—the very office where Scheer showed up for an interview last November.

While Levant might be, increasingly, a household name for those in the know, Marshall is decidedly a more behind-the-scenes kind of guy. Levant tried to play down his role to the Globe. He referred to the former director of his company as an IT guy. “That is a technical role, with no editorial input whatsoever,” Levant said.

But Marshall—who has previously worked on strategic planning for former prime minister Stephen Harper—wasn’t just a contract technician. Marshall was at the core of the Rebel’s business strategy and their aggressive campaign to scare up new readers, supporters, and donors.

Marshall’s Torch Agency has worked with the Rebel since Levant first set up the therebel.media site. The agency boasts that it takes a “holistic” approach to managing its clients’ affairs. That means everything from research polling to microtargeting, website design, book publishing, site design, and fundraising. They list the Conservative Party of Canada and three provincial conservative parties as clients. Much of that work is done through NationBuilder, a platform that allows political organizations to track and target their supporters. The application can manage email lists, websites, and donation campaigns. Both the Rebel and the Conservative Party often use NationBuilder.
The pair worked together even before the Rebel. When Levant launched the Ethical Oil campaign to extol the virtues of Canadian-extracted petroleum, it was Marshall who designed the online presence for the campaign, under his former business Newclear Productions. Kathryn Marshall, Hamish’s wife, was the spokesperson for the campaign.
When the Rebel was founded, Marshall’s ideas were baked into the site’s dna. Examine the source code of their website and you’ll see that the back-end design of the website is branded with “Torch Agency” throughout. Also, when far-right Rebel commentator Lauren Southern released her book Barbarians: How Baby Boomers, Immigrants and Islam Screwed My Generation, the inside flap reports that the Torch Agency designed the cover and layout.

But Marshall’s involvement goes beyond aesthetics. He helped develop the very business model that has made the Rebel profitable. Marshall’s name appears as a director for Rebel News Network ltd.’s corporate filings dating back to the Spring of 2016, listing his address as that of the Rebel HQ, in downtown Toronto.The Torch Agency, as well, openly bragged about their work for the Rebel in a now-deleted post on NationBuilder’s website. [....]

The reality is that the Rebel is helpful to the Conservative cause. It motivates right-of-centre voters to get angry and get active. Levant’s site functions as a sort of political action committee for Scheer’s party, and Hamish Marshall is in the middle of all of it.
https://thewalrus.ca/andrew-scheers-ties-to-rebel-media-are-now-impossible-to-deny/

This is an absolutely trashy hit piece by one of Canada's embarrassments, Walrus Magazine.

First of all, there is nothing stigmatizing about The Rebel. It is not a far-right thing, it is a center-right website doing tabloid-style journalism on very topical and newsworthy stories that the mainstream media are not covering. It was covering the rise of Antifa, for example.

Second, there is no real association. An interview. So what? In any case, all Scheer has done is to hire one of Levant's key employees away from him. So what?

Scheer ought to have seen this coming. For such a playbook politician, it seems strange that he would be so lethargic. This is not a very skilled bit of butchery. Ling has the following previous stories to his credit so you can judge where he's coming from ... "The US put a $100 million drone base next to a world heritage site." or how about "Canada Is Bombing the Islamic State in Syria" ... published on Vice.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the one rebel reporter was right when she said Scheer has to deal with this head on . for the politically correct left wing media to get away with smearing anyone who visits the rebel site as some sort of extremist is out of line

and just cause Scheer did interviews at some point with the rebel doesn't mean he endorses the site , politicians typically do an endless amount of interviews with all sorts of media outlets and that doesn't mean they endorse the content being featured by those outlets

I don't really understand why the media has such an issue with there being some small alternative news sites ? considering there is freedom of the press and free speech in Canada ? I really can't understand why they have such an issue with the rebel
Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, in Canada, the mainstream media have their own bitches with the Rebel. It's in a minor way like Fox -- that is, it presents the stuff that counters 'the spin' or challenges the official narratives. Not always, but enough to irk the editors at the Globe or the producers at the CBC.

The truth is the collective power of the media is radically reduced if they aren't all on the same narrative. I saw some footage of North Korean TV. It was really powerful, and you could see how enthralled some of the North Koreans were by these monster displays of precision parading, etc. The beam with pride, as they visualize themselves as standing up the the bully America.

Modern-day leftists of the revolting ilk these days focus on the media. That was Chavez's great accomplishment since his rise to power was accomplished (in part) through intimidating the media. He later nationalized TV stations favourable to his opponents, for example.

When you have two versions of events circulating, they are both less effective as propaganda.

This smear started with Charlottesville, where the demonstration was closed down and a demonstrator was hit by a car. It was laid at the feet of white supremacists at the time, although that was never established. In any case, The Rebel was not endorsing racism by covering it. This is an effort to splash some of that vitriol off on The Rebel, which had a reporter on the scene. And that's all.

Scheer looks weak by throwing The Rebel under the bus. He needs media outlets like crazy. Honestly, I am beginning to wonder if Scheer has any political moxie whatever.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall the attempt was made to define Harper as someone who planned to repeal Healthcare, Eliminate all Environmental regulations, and place Men...In the Streets....With Guns....

When the Liberals get hammered on the Economy;
Like clockwork we see an attempt to grasp onto some social issue with both hands by the left in order to deflect away from their other sins.

Patrick Brown has made an attempt to appeal directly to voters;
I don't know if its the right approach as depending on the riding and depending on the paper he is either "at war with social conservatives" or a "stanch social conservative"

With the leadership races behind the CPC;
The fundraising should start to go not only toward the spending habits of the current government but to the definition of the parties leader as well.
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to add a "yes, but ... " to this.

It's that Harper already had a public persona when they tried to run those ads -- and the ads weren't very successful. But Harper had won an actual election -- before elections required voters to clarify their preferences for 13 candidates rather than choose between two --for the leadership of the merged party, and had played a role in merging the two parties. In short, he had a track record.

Relative to Harper, Scheer is a blank slate. Being blandly pleasant may serve one well in the Parliamentary lounge, but will it transmit over television?

I just don't see any strategy being implemented ... it's like we had an election for a new leader and elected None of the above. Meanwhile, the Liberals have been floundering around as the results of their bad decisions become public, giving ample opportunity for someone to thrust a spear into their sides ...

It's as if Scheer understands that the mainstream media are the real opposition to the sitting government, and he doesn't want to get in their way.

Jump to: