Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Union funded group plans to run ads in Ontario Reply with quote

( this should come as no surprise that a union plans to run ads in Ontario in a desperate attempt to smear the provincial conservatives which really aren't much like trump anyways but they know a pc win would take the unions out of the power they hold now )

Working Ontario Women organization plans pre-election ad blitz

WOW aims to prevent a Trumpian outcome of next June’s Ontario election.

WOW’s ads will urge voters to vote for progressive candidates who “elevate women’s issues and advocate for women’s rights.” The group is concerned about protecting a woman’s right to choose, although all the major political parties, including PC Leader Patrick Brown, currently support abortion rights. (Peter Power / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Thu., Oct. 12, 2017

Call it the WOW factor.

A well-financed, new organization called Working Ontario Women (WOW) is set to launch a new ad blitz to prevent a Trumpian outcome of next June’s Ontario election.

Bankrolled by the powerful Service Employees International Union, which has 2 million members in North America and has supported the governing Liberals in the past, WOW will be advertising on television and online in the coming days.

It appears to be modeled on — but is separate from — the Working Families coalition of unions that has helped swing the past four Ontario elections to the Liberals with ads attacking the Progressive Conservatives.

While campaign financing rules imposed in the wake of a Star probe have placed spending limits on so-called third-party groups like Working Families, new organizations such as WOW are springing up.

“What happened in the States was the catalyst really for putting together this organization,” said WOW’s Megan Lorius, referring to Donald Trump’s unexpected 2016 presidential election victory over Hillary Clinton.

“That is a great cautionary tale and (I hope) that people are paying attention in Canada,” Lorius said Thursday.

“We don’t want to be complacent ourselves. We can get into our own bubble and think ‘oh, it won’t happen to us.’ We don’t want to make that same mistake here,” she said, noting many Americans sat on their hands, enabling Trump to win.

To that end, WOW’s ads will urge voters to vote for progressive candidates who “elevate women’s issues and advocate for women’s rights.”

Lorius said the non-partisan group is particularly concerned about protecting a woman’s right to choose — even though all the major political parties currently support abortion rights.

“Women understand what the potentials are for losing some rights in the next election,” she said, emphasizing WOW wants to keep “access to health care and the right to choose top of mind.”

A new Facebook ad from Working Ontario Women, a fledgling organization launching a pre-election ad blitz. (Facebook)

That has resurfaced as an Ontario political issue because when Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown was a Conservative MP in 2012 he voted in favour of a motion to reopen the abortion debate.

Although Brown actively courted social conservatives during his successful 2015 campaign for the Tory leadership, he has since changed his stance and is now pro-choice.

To underscore that, the Conservatives will not allow any such divisive social issues to be debated at their policy convention in Toronto on Nov. 25.

“Any policy that attempts to limit a woman’s right to choose or the ability of same-sex couples to marry are off limits, period,” Brown said in an interview with Canadian Press earlier this week.

“I’m not going to say it’s even up for consideration when I personally could not defend that or support it,” he told CP.

Indeed, the 139 resolutions Tory members can vote on at the party’s website between Nov. 2 and Nov. 6 steer clear of anything controversial.

PC activists can debate cutting taxes, liberalizing booze laws to make then more “consumer friendly,” stopping rural school closures, and dozens of other more anodyne motions.

But there will be no discussion of a carbon tax, even though Brown has promised new measures to curb greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.

Liberal Deputy Premier Deb Matthews warned voters should be wary.

“You can’t run from your record,” Matthews said of Brown’s past votes in the Commons opposing abortion and same-sex marriage.

“It’s fascinating to look at what’s not there (in the PC resolutions). The word ‘woman’ is not mentioned, the word ‘doctor’ is not mentioned, the word ‘nurse’ is not mentioned,” she said.

“So I think it’s really telling what’s not there.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/10/12/working-ontario-women-organization-plans-pre-election-ad-blitz.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 13, 2017

“Pink-washed front group” Working Ontario Women behind “fear mongering” election ads

Sheila Gunn Reid
Rebel Host | The Gunn Show

A new organization called Working Ontario Women is going to be running anti-Conservative ads in the run up to the Ontario election.

The ads by Working Ontario Women (WOW) imply that a vote for a Conservative candidate could bring" Donald Trump style politics" to the province.

A spokesperson for WOW told the Toronto Star that the group is nonpartisan, but they're particularly concerned about protecting a woman's right to choose.

Except that all the major parties in Ontario currently support abortion rights.

So what's really the point of WOW?

It's a union front group feigning girl power as a way to dump advertising support towards progressive liberal candidates.

WATCH as I reveal who’s bankrolling this “nonpartisan” group.

Hint:

It flies in the face of Premier Kathleen Wynne’s public declarations of wanting to get big union and corporate donations out of Ontario politics.

https://www.therebel.media/_pink_washed_front_group_working_ontario_women
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the video for Shelia Gunn Reid's article is available on youtube if you search working Ontario women , as I'm not sure the link works .

its clear this group is a union front group and not really run by average working women. just like the working family front group was in years past .

I'm also not sure if this group can run ads during the election ? if those are now illegal and they can only legally run pre election ads ?
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stinks. My bet is that Wynne's connected to these people, and the SEIU is not using their own money -- except as a loan -- on these activities.

They seem to be targetting abortion right, which aren't problematic in Ontario. There is no law whatever governing abortion, the public pays for them, and a minor can have one without telling her parents. What is there left to ask for?

We shall see when the ads come out.

Imho -- Brown has to come out of the foxhole, and nip this crap in the bud. At least reveal it and make an issue of it. There is no way abortion rights should be an issue in this election.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the liberals are also releasing some new ads , although on a different topic than the union ads )

Wynne is ready for her close-up in Liberals' ad campaign

Kathleen Wynne is putting her best face forward in the Liberals’ first campaign ad for the June election.

Mon., Oct. 16, 2017

Kathleen Wynne is putting her best face forward in the Liberals’ first campaign ad for the June election.

Despite polls showing Wynne’s personal approval rating lower than that of NDP Leader Andrea Horwath and Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown, the premier plays a starring role in the new TV commercial.

The 30-second spot, which began airing in heavy rotation on broadcast channels and online Monday with an ad buy in excess of $1 million, was paid for by the Ontario Liberal Party.

It starts with a young mother with her daughter pushing a shopping cart in a supermarket parking lot.

“I work shifts working the minimum; $11.60 an hour means you have to make some trades,” says the young mother.

The next scene depicts a middle-aged couple at home.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne goes without her glasses for part of the new campaign spot.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne goes without her glasses for part of the new campaign spot. (Sean Kilpatrick / THE CANADIAN PRESS file photo)

“We’re saving for his college,” says the father.

“But he’ll still need a lot of help,” adds the mother.

The commercial, put together by Bensimon Byrne, a Toronto ad agency with close ties to the federal and provincial Liberals, then cuts to a middle-aged man, clutching a travel mug as he stands on his suburban front porch.

“I got laid off after 23 years. I got a temp job. I just don’t get paid the same as full time,” the man says.

The action returns to the young mother in the parking lot.

“I don’t want to be the one who says,‘No’ all the time,” she adds as her daughter gazes plaintively on.

Wynne finally appears on screen.

“This is why I am in political life,” the premier says, peering into the camera, clear-eyed without her trademark glasses.

Against the backdrop of footage of a bespectacled Wynne meeting with voters, superimposed red graphics note “minimum wage raise to $15” and “reduced tuition for 2/3 of Ontario families” and “temporary and contract work paid same as full time.”

“It’s not fair that, in an economy on the rise, those who work as hard as anyone else still can’t get ahead, so I will never stop fighting for you,” the premier says.

Wynne was referring to her government’s labour reforms, which will increase the $11.60-an-hour minimum wage to $14 in January and $15 in 2019, and ensure temp workers and contract employees earn as much as full-time staffers for doing the same job.

The ad highlights the Liberals’ move to make university and college tuition free for students from all low- and most middle-income families.

It is perhaps surprising that the Grits are showcasing their leader given public-opinion polls suggesting she is far less personally popular than her rivals in the other two major parties.

While the Campaign Research survey in the Star found parties are competitive: the Tories stand at 36 per cent, the Liberals at 32 per cent, and NDP at 25 per cent.

But Wynne’s approval rating was dead last.

New Democrat Horwath had a 35 per cent approval, 17 per cent disapproval, and 48 per cent weren’t sure.

Tory Brown had a 25 per cent approval, 25 per cent disapproval, and 50 per cent didn’t know

Wynne’s approval rating was 19 per cent with 64 per cent disapproval and 17 per cent unsure of their view.

An online panel of 1,347 Ontario voters was polled between Oct. 8 and 11 and a probability sample of that size would have a margin of error of plus or minus 2.7 percentage points, 19 out of 20 times.

A senior Liberal strategist said the ad is “not about Kathleen Wynne and it’s not about the opposition.

“It’s showing that there are real challenges and that we have implemented policies to mitigate those challenges,” the insider said, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss internal deliberations.

As for why Wynne is featured in the spot, the source said it’s to remind Ontarians that she is “an activist,” who has always fought for social justice causes.

Furthermore it underscores what is emerging as a Liberal re-election campaign theme: that the government is “on your side,” and claims to understand the issues Ontarians discuss at their kitchen tables.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/10/16/wynne-is-ready-for-her-close-up-in-liberals-ad-campaign.html
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they are;
If the Tories enter power Bill 1 will be banning third party political advertising or placing a donation cap on them.

As for the Premier pushing the Minimum Wage agenda;
Its clear the OLP mothership feels the NDP support is softer than PC support and is daring the NDP to attack the Tories for being against it.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Of course they are;
If the Tories enter power Bill 1 will be banning third party political advertising or placing a donation cap on them.

As for the Premier pushing the Minimum Wage agenda;
Its clear the OLP mothership feels the NDP support is softer than PC support and is daring the NDP to attack the Tories for being against it.

my understanding was these types of ads were covered by the new law and had more restrictions and limits but perhaps they found a way around the law by running them before an actual election and by claiming they don't support or target a specific candidate

wynne is trying to sell her agenda as "pain free " and that it will lead to the lower class people suddenly having more . however there is a lot she's not discussing surrounding her minimum wage increase , that being the side affects . retail and consumer prices are likely to rise , people complaining that everything costs too much at the grocery can expect prices to surge even more as most grocery stores only pay minimum wages so they will be hit especially hard

and the person supposedly benefiting from the wage increase will only see a larger paycheque if they work the same number of hours as they are now . its expected many businesses will cut back and reduce hours . so if there working 40 now but go down to 30 there not going to be making more money and might have less in the bank
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
This stinks. My bet is that Wynne's connected to these people, and the SEIU is not using their own money -- except as a loan -- on these activities.

They seem to be targetting abortion right, which aren't problematic in Ontario. There is no law whatever governing abortion, the public pays for them, and a minor can have one without telling her parents. What is there left to ask for?

Imho -- Brown has to come out of the foxhole, and nip this crap in the bud. At least reveal it and make an issue of it. There is no way abortion rights should be an issue in this election.

I don't recall a provincial election in Ontario where abortion has ever been a major issue ? likely have to go further back than I can recall perhaps into the 80's or 70's to find one

and all 3 major parties have publicly stated they have no intentions to change any of the current laws so where is there an issue to justify the union running these ads ?

clearly there trying to turn abortion and women's rights into an issue for other reasons , likely partisan in an attempt to help out liberal and even ndp candidates
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
Bugs wrote:

I don't recall a provincial election in Ontario where abortion has ever been a major issue ? likely have to go further back than I can recall perhaps into the 80's or 70's to find one

and all 3 major parties have publicly stated they have no intentions to change any of the current laws so where is there an issue to justify the union running these ads ?

clearly there trying to turn abortion and women's rights into an issue for other reasons , likely partisan in an attempt to help out liberal and even ndp candidates

Its the oldest "go to" in the Liberal Playbook, When you can't make an Economic Argument try and create a controversy over a social issue that does not exist.

Abortion is not a Provincial Issue anymore.

The Morgentaler decision of the Supreme Court took it out of the hands of the Provinces and left it with the Feds to do nothing with.

The Canada Health Act essentially requires Provinces to provide access;
Making it an issue in a Provincial Election relies on the ignorance of the voter to somehow feel its within the realm of Provincial Government.
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a dog-whistle to single mothers as well.

I am becoming convinced that that's who they target with these programs, and certainly their child benefit package means they're the one group that benefits from this administration so far.

Are there any more reasonable feminist demands to make? Is that any better than abortion, as an issue? We're down to using state power to ensure men don't sit in a way women disapprove of, for example. They are maintaining obvious falsehoods, that university campuses, not ghetto streets, are where the rapes are taking place ... and of course, the idea of rape has been expanded to the point that stealing a kiss could get you a criminal sentence. (It could be sexual harassment.) I mean, when do the friggin' training wheels comes off? When do these women, who can do anything a man can do, learn to take care of themselves?

This has to be contended with as it happens -- that's my feeling. Let's see if Patrick is a loathe to enter the fray as Andrew is.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( these attack ads are so original there even using the same actors , last election he pretended to be a rich businessman , this time he's a laid off worker , what a load of crap , is anyone buying this nonsense ? )

Same actor used in pro-Liberal ads

Liberals are under scrutiny for using the same actor in different political campaign ads. Paul Bliss reports.

Paul Bliss, CTV News Toronto
Published Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:42PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:54PM EDT

It appears the same actor has appeared in two pro-Liberal ads, prompting one marketing expert to question the party’s campaign tactics.

In the most recent ad by the Ontario Liberal Party highlighting the different “voices” in our province, the actor plays a laid off worker, now struggling to make ends meet with part-time hours.

The same man was in a commercial three years ago, put on by the Working Families Coalition, a group of unions that teamed up to support the Ontario Liberals that union spent millions on the anti-Tim Hudak ads.

In the hard-hitting attack ad against the Progressive Conservatives, the actor played a tough, Bay Street businessman in a suit, issuing marching orders to then PC leader Tim Hudak.

Marketing and communications expert Tony Chapman told CTV News Toronto the actor is versatile, that’s why he’s used.

“What’s ironic here is the different roles he plays. In the first one, this is the kind of J.K. Simmons from “OZ” you know the bald guy staring you down in the boardroom,” said Chapman.

“Fast forward four years later and all of a sudden he’s Kevin Spacey, the out of work boomer from American Beauty.”

Chapman added, however, that is doesn’t look good on the Liberals to recycle the same face.

“Sure it takes away credibility from the ad, because the general public now knows he isn’t Joe Public,” he said.

Chapman recommends the Liberals get a fresh face and a fresh start.

But, the Liberals point out, actors are protected by their union with rules stipulating they don’t have to disclose roles they’ve played more than nine months in the past. But the conservatives wonder, why use actors?

“It’s deceitful. I mean, does Kathleen Wynne seriously have to resort to hiring actors for all of her ads to suggest that there are laid-off workers?” said MPP Lisa MacLeod.

Deputy Premier and Liberal campaign co-chair Deb Matthews said the issue is raising minimum wage, not recurring actor roles.

‘I’m glad to see the PC Party is watching our ad. I wish they actually would pay as much attention to the content of the ad and the stories those people are telling as they do to what actors are playing what role,” said Matthews.

The Deputy Premier also said the party will not be changing or pulling the ads. In fact, she said she hopes this story urges more people to tune in.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/same.....-1.3640390
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the latest story seems to indicate a few things to me

1 - the liberals are fake in there concern for the working class , as they can't even find a real struggling person for there ads . this is just something the polls tell them is important to certain voters and an issue to focus on . if they have really cared they would of at least found someone real who was benefiting from there plan or needed help from the government

2 - a connection between the union funded working family ads and ontario liberal party , how does the same actor end up in both ads ? clearly the same people/company is involved in making both ads and connected to the union and liberals
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the danger of all the political parties -- the 'workers' morph into the unions in one context, or man/hours of labour in another, and so on. It isn't just the workers, either. It's women, obviously, various ethnic groups, and so on.

Put differently, there are so many layers of bureaucracy between the segments of the population that the actual human communities being 'served' are only considered as abstractions and treated as members of a category.

It goes along, over time, and a 'narrative' often settles on these groups, perhaps better described as a kind of recipe for keeping that segment happy. They cease to convey the interests of communities to the decision-makers. Instead, they develop techniques and benefits to pacify each group.

We are seeing an extreme example of that, where the Ontario Liberals are about nothing but clinging to their expense accounts, fat pensions, and tickets to the ball. They can't justify themselves without lying. And they are transparently selling the taxpayers out to do it. They seem doomed.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the so called working families union coalition is back with some new ads , although they won't be able to run many during the actual election )

Working Families coalition back to haunt Tories with new advertising blitz

Bankrolled by unions, Working Families helped swing the 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2014 Ontario elections to the Liberals with attack ads against the Conservatives.

A new commercial being released by a group called Working Families, takes aim at Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown. (courtesy: Working Families)

Tues., Oct. 24, 2017

The Working Families coalition — presumed dead just a few months ago thanks to new restrictions on campaign spending — has sprung back to life with an advertising blitz to plague the Progressive Conservatives.

Bankrolled by unions, Working Families helped swing the 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2014 Ontario elections to the Liberals with attack ads against the Conservatives.

With an election set for June 7, 2018, the coalition is taking aim at rookie PC Leader Patrick Brown.

In a new 30-second spot hitting airwaves Tuesday, Working Families depicts Brown as a cartoon weathervane atop the legislative assembly whose views on key issues are constantly changing.

“Patrick Brown will say anything to get elected. He now says he’s pro-choice, but when it counted Patrick Brown had a 100 per cent pro-life voting record,” intones the announcer.

“He now says he supports equal marriage, but when it counted he voted against it,” he continues against the backdrop of a legislature that looks like a haunted house complete with stormy skies and thunderbolts.

The Working Families coalition is taking aim at rookie PC Leader Patrick Brown with a new, anti-Tory ad blitz.

The Working Families coalition is taking aim at rookie PC Leader Patrick Brown with a new, anti-Tory ad blitz. (Peter Power / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

“He now says he welcomes labour into his party, but when it counted his votes hurt working people. When it counts for us, Patrick Brown can’t be counted on. He just blows with the winds of political opportunity.”

The ad echoes the successful Conservative weathervane commercials used to bash former Liberals leaders Lyn McLeod and Dalton McGuinty before the 1995 and 1999 elections.

In those spots, McLeod and McGuinty were caricatured as feckless and indecisive by shifting their positions on key issues.

Working Families’ Patrick Dillon, business manager and secretary treasurer of the Provincial Building and Construction Trades Council of Ontario, said public- and private-sector unions, including Unifor, are bankrolling the ads.

Dillon said the unions are concerned about Brown’s votes on abortion, same-sex marriage, and labour issues when he was a Conservative MP in Ottawa.

“Patrick Brown’s track record at the federal level — in all three of those categories — is not a good one,” he said.

“That doesn’t mean that he can’t change, but he’s got to say that he’s changed … and put policies out there that show that he’s changed.”

Tory MPP Todd Smith (Prince Edward-Hastings) predicted such union-funded broadsides against the party will not resonate the way they once did.

“Most of these organizations that have advertised against us in the past realize that we do have common ground that we can work on with them,” said Smith.

“We’re not going to back up the Brink’s truck for them, but certainly there are things that we can work on as a party to make their lives better and make their employees’ lives better,” he said.

“There is a general understanding that the PC Party under Patrick Brown is a different party. We want to extend the olive branch (to labour).”

Earlier this month, a separate group called Working Ontario Women — funded by the Service Employees International Union launched its own ads — blasting the Tories.

In campaign finance reforms introduced last year, the so-called “third-party” advocacy groups had their spending capped at $600,000 in the six-month period before a scheduled election, which begins in November, and $100,000 during the actual writ.

Prior to that, there were no limits on what they could spend.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/10/20/working-families-coalition-back-to-haunt-tories-with-new-advertising-blitz.html
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes;
The Social Conservative Boogieman.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: