Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( election day is today , so we will soon find out who won )

'Every vote counts': Voters line up to cast ballots as election day gets underway

Annalise Klingbeil, Calgary Herald Annalise Klingbeil, Calgary Herald
More from Annalise Klingbeil, Calgary Herald

Published on: October 16, 2017 | Last Updated: October 16, 2017 12:19 PM MDT

Today, tens of thousands of Calgarians will choose the mayor, councillors and school board trustees who will govern this city for the next four years.

Dozens of people have thrown their names into the race for city council or school board, and thousands of citizens have already voted in advance polls.

Lori Williams, a Mount Royal University political scientist, said it’s important Calgarians head to voting stations and have their say on the city’s future.

“(Voting) is likely to make a difference,” Williams said. “It’s a very close election, very hotly contested, and not just at the mayoralty level. I think in a number of wards there’s really close votes as well.”

Williams pointed to the 2015 provincial election — when an unprecedented tie was initially counted in the Calgary Glenmore riding – as proof of why every vote truly does matter.

“Every vote counts. I know people say that all the time and there’s elections where people justifiably doubt it, but this isn’t one of those elections,” she said. “Some of these races are going to be very, very close indeed, so voting can make a huge difference.”

Calgarians head to the polls AL Charest / Al Charest/Postmedia

There will be at least four new city councillors after Monday’s vote, with incumbents Jim Stevenson, Richard Pootmans and Brian Pincott not seeking re-election, and Ward 10’s Andre Chabot running for the mayor’s chair instead of a council seat.

Williams said another reason people should vote is that their voice could have a say on future elections, after a tense campaign characterized by nastiness not previously seen at the municipal level.

“In an election like this where there has been misinformation, there has been negativity, attempts at manipulation, lawsuits have been launched to try to influence the way that the vote goes . . . it’s important to understand that your vote can also have an influence on the character of future elections,” she said.

Fewer than one in two Calgarians cast a ballot last time around, with the voter turnout in Calgary’s 2013 municipal election just 39 per cent.

In 2010, when no incumbent was running for the mayor’s chair, 53 per cent of eligible voters cast ballots.

This year, voters flocked to 26 advance polling stations in record numbers from Oct. 4 to Oct. 11, including nearly 2,000 people who cast ballots on a transit bus and 3,006 Calgarians who voted in their cars at a drive-up station at McMahon Stadium.

A total of 74,965 Calgarians cast ballots early this year — the highest advance-vote turnout in Calgary’s history and a 235 per cent increase over 2013, when 22,410 people voted early.

The line up to vote at the City Hall polling station stretched around the atrium as Calgarian waited to cast their ballots in the municipal election on Monday October 16, 2017. Gavin Young / Calgary Herald

The record-breaking advance-vote numbers come as the city spent $300,000 this year trying to improve voter turnout through initiatives such as more advance-vote stations, handing out ‘I voted’ stickers, and giving out free transit tickets for election day.

Williams said while the city’s efforts may have had some impact on the early turnout, there’s more at play.

“I think it’s much more because the campaign is competitive,” she said.

“The reality is, particularly in municipal elections, people are much more likely to vote if they think their vote is going to make a difference, and this is an election where people sense that their vote will make a difference.”

Voter’s Guide

Who can vote?

You are eligible to vote if you are at least 18 years old; are a Canadian citizen; have resided in Alberta since April 16, 2017; and are a resident of the City of Calgary (for mayor and councillor) or the Calgary Board of Education (for public school trustee) or the Calgary Catholic School Division (for separate school trustee).

Where to vote?

Voting stations are open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. You must vote at the designated voting station for the voting subdivision in which you live. You can visit calgary.ca/election, click ‘Find my Voting Station’ and enter your home address to find where to vote. Deputies will go bed-to-bed in hospitals so that eligible electors there can vote. Voting stations will also be located at care facilities.

What to bring?

Voters must present one official form of identification that includes their name and current address to vote. Examples of acceptable forms of ID include a driver’s licence, Alberta Identification Card, a bank or credit card statement, utility bill, a residential lease or mortgage statement, correspondence issued by a post-secondary institution, etc.

How do the ward boundary changes affect this election?

The new ward boundaries mean 58 Calgary communities will now be located in different wards. If you are in one of the affected communities, you will vote in a different ward than during the 2013 election. It’s possible you will also vote at a different designated voting station.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/.....ay-is-here
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( nenshi appears to have been re elected although with a smaller % of the vote than last election )

Calgary Mayor Nenshi wins third term

Incumbents take the day throughout Alberta in municipal elections

Bill Graveland and Lauren Krugel

Tuesday, October 17th, 2017

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi has handily won a third term after a bitter and divisive campaign during which his at-times prickly personality was a focus.

His main challenger, former Progressive Conservative Party president Bill Smith, conceded around midnight Tuesday.

With most polls reporting, Nenshi had nearly 51 per cent of the vote, with Smith garnering around 44 per cent — not as strong as his showing in the 2013 election, when he won 73 per cent of the vote.

Nenshi, who was the first Muslim mayor of a major North American city, gained a national profile with his stewardship of the city through the devastating floods of 2013 and by winning the 2014 World Mayor Prize.

But in this campaign he was accused of arrogance and being difficult to work with.

“Clearly there is some division and it’s important for us to understand the nature of that division,” Nenshi told reporters in a downtown bar crammed with raucous supporters.

“It’s not nice on a victory night to talk about the campaign, but it was a very divisive campaign and I think that the campaign fostered divisions in the community that may not be long lasting.”

Nenshi said he doesn’t intend to soften his demeanour.

“I’m not sure whether people will appreciate a completely different version of me,” he said. “I will still be scrappy. I will still fight for people every day, but I will make sure that people will see that I’m always listening, that I’m always willing to change my mind and that I’m always willing to hear great arguments.”

Smith — a lawyer and former firefighter — said throughout the race that Calgarians were frustrated by high taxes, excessive spending by the city and a continued downturn in the energy sector, and suggested Nenshi had been avoiding those problems.

The Smith campaign celebration was filled to overflowing early in the evening but had dwindled by half by the time the losing candidate arrived.

Smith said he called Nenshi to congratulate him and acknowledged that the two men had a “divisive battle” over the past few weeks.

“I think we need to put all of that aside and get behind our mayor and continue to press the issues that are important to Calgarians,” he said. “I had two speeches tonight and I’m actually not to read either one of them. I’m just going to end by saying that this for me and my family has been a wonderful journey. I will continue serving Calgarians in the way I have before and don’t think I’m done just because we lost one.”

Elsewhere in the province, Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson easily won a second term, while incumbents also fared well in other Alberta cities.

Chris Spearman was re-elected in Lethbridge, as was Ted Clugston in Medicine Hat, Bill Given in Grande Prairie, and Tara Veer in Red Deer.

One of the few places where an incumbent was not running for re-election was the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, which includes Fort McMurray. Melissa Blake, who had been mayor since 2004, did not run again and will be replaced by Don Scott, a former provincial Conservative cabinet minister.

Blake had been praised for her grace under pressure after a devastating wildfire swept through the city in 2016 and also advocated for more housing and expanded infrastructure when Fort McMurray boomed before the last oil downturn.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/10/17.....hird-term/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( mainstreet polling is having a hard time trying to explain what went on here , clearly they were very wrong for some reason )

Mainstreet responds to allegations it coordinated polls to influence Calgary mayoral race

CBCOctober 19, 2017

Mainstreet responds to allegations it coordinated polls to influence Calgary mayoral race
More

The polling firm that predicted Bill Smith would be elected mayor of Calgary over incumbent Naheed Nenshi has published a lengthy response to criticisms that its methods were scientifically unsound and allegations it coordinated its polls to influence the campaign.

Mainstreet Research called a 48-31 per cent win for Smith over Nenshi — a whopping 17 percentage point gap — in early October, then lowered Smith's lead to 13 points three days before the election. On Oct. 16 Nenshi was elected with an eight-point lead.

That's a variance of 24 percentage points, well over Mainstreet's 2.53 percentage point margin of error.

In a statement posted to the company's blog Thursday, president Quito Maggi conceded that his firm's results were "completely and totally wrong."

Maggi wrote that he watched with "utter shock and embarrassment" as the results came in.

He said the company will be making the following moves in the hope of ensuring their results are more accurate in future:

- Mainstreet's head of analytics will conduct a review of the Calgary poll and research methods in general.

- All Alberta polls will be moved to live call sampling, rather than the automated interactive voice response (IVR) polls that were used leading up to the Calgary election.

- The company's vice-president will lead an internal technological assessment to review the systems used.

Allegations of 'push polling'

Maggi also addressed allegations that Mainstreet coordinated with its media partner, Postmedia, to influence the campaign.

"It was suggested that we coordinated polling with the Bill Smith campaign, conducted push polling, and/or worked for the Calgary Flames organization. None of that could be further from the truth," Maggi wrote.

"We sampled using the same methodology we have used to accurately predict hundreds of election outcomes across North America, including dozens of others across Alberta on Monday night and reported those numbers."

Personal attacks

Maggi also noted that personal comments he made during the campaign may have gone "too far," but suggested criticism was unfounded and based on "false information."

As concerns were raised over Mainstreet's methods in the days leading up to the election, Maggi fired back on Twitter, calling out critics as "tinfoil hat"-wearing conspiracy theorists. He was similarly bullish after the results came out, calling out "sore winners" and arguing that "all the polls were terrible, ours included."

One detractor Maggi singled out in particular was Mount Royal University political science professor Duane Bratt, who had questioned Mainstreet's methods and pointed out that the firm's results were significantly different from other polling agencies.

Maggi challenged Bratt's credibility and Mainstreet vice-president David Valentin told 660 News the company planned on responding individually to political commentators after the vote.

Maggi did end up responding to Bratt, with an apology, but Bratt sent out a lengthy string of tweets Thursday morning letting Maggi know that his apology was not accepted.

Bratt accused Maggi and Valentin of making the conversation personal, public bullying and intimidation.

This isn't the first time Mainstreet has been criticized.

In early 2017, polling industry association Marketing Research and Intelligence Association (MRIA) sanctioned Mainstreet and Maggi. The association alleged Mainstreet had erred by violating its articles of basic principles, honesty, professional responsiblity and published findings, claims that Mainstreet disputes.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mainstreet-responds-allegations-coordinated-polls-033245778.html

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: