Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Doug Ford to return to Toronto politics Reply with quote

(but its not yet clear what office he plans to run for )

Doug Ford is back in Toronto politics, but what office remains the question

Annoucement to be made at Sept. 8 Ford Fest

News 01:33 PM by David Nickle  Etobicoke Guardian|

Doug Ford

Doug Ford, the former city councillor and brother to the late Mayor Rob Ford, will be returning to politics in Toronto. The only question is whether it's to be mayor, or MPP. - David Nickle/Metroland

The question has gone from will he or won’t he seek political office, to which political office former councillor and failed mayoral candidate Doug Ford will seek.

Will it be for Mayor of Toronto, or the Progressive Conservative seat in the provincial riding of Etobicoke North?

Ford, who came second to Mayor John Tory in the 2014 municipal election and served on Toronto Council in Ward 2 (Etobicoke North) alongside his brother the late Mayor Rob Ford, says he’ll announce on Sept. 8 whether he intends to run provincially ,or municipally.

“It will be Sept. 8, 6 p.m., we’ll have live music – the same Ford Fest you’ve experienced in the past,” said Ford in a telephone interview with Metroland Media Toronto Aug. 29.

Ford said the announcement would take place at the Ford family home in Etobicoke at the so-called Ford Fest – an annual picnic that the Ford family has thrown for all and sundry for more than a decade.

When Doug’s brother, the late Rob Ford was mayor, Ford Fest was so well-attended hey had to permit public parks for them. But they often became places where Conservative politicians – prime ministers even – would come to shake hands and pay tribute to the Ford family.

This time, Doug says he’s not sure whether Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown will attend. But he said he’s announcing his political intentions in part to let the Ontario PC party know whether he intends to seek the nomination in Etobicoke North for the 2018 provincial election.

“In the province they’re filling all the different ridings over the next month or two and I owe them an answer whether it’s running for the province or running for mayor,” Ford said. “I thought it was appropriate at Ford Fest, where I’ve been making all the announcements over the years.”

Ford said he believed that Brown would like him on the PC team.

“Absolutely he does, or he wouldn’t have me (campaigning) up to the zoo with him or wouldn’t have me out door-knocking with him or wouldn’t have me to events,” he said. “We make a good team. It’s a one-two punch.”

Ford was also enthusiastic at the prospect of a rematch with Mayor John Tory, later in 2018. He said that in 2014, he was handicapped because he stepped into the mayoral race late, after his brother was diagnosed with cancer.

“I had four weeks to run a campaign,” he said. “Considering if I would have gained another three and a half per cent, I would have beaten him – but it four weeks it’s very tough.”

He said that in 2018, he would be able to provide an opposition to Tory that he said has been lacking.

“I just want to point out he’s had a free ride from the media… nobody’s holding him accountable. It’s all kumbaya at City Hall. It’s time someone step up to the plate, whether it’s me or somebody else.”

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/7526847-doug-ford-is-back-in-toronto-politics-but-what-office-remains-the-question/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Ford to reveal political plan at Ford Fest?

joe-warmington
By Joe Warmington, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 12:17 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 01:43 PM EDT

TORONTO - Always with a flair for the dramatic, Doug Ford insists he will finally come out of political retirement on Sept. 8.

“There will be announcement,” he told the Toronto Sun on Tuesday. “You won’t want to miss it.”

Ford earlier told Newstalk 1010 that he will reveal at the Ford Fest barbecue held in his mom’s backyard whether he’ll try to run next year provincially with the Progressive Conservatives and leader Patrick Brown, or against Mayor John Tory.

The former city councillor has not tipped his hand, but either would be a good fit.

Provincially, he would follow in the footsteps of his father, Doug Ford, and vie for a nomination to run in Etobicoke.

For the city, as the man who was pinch-hitter for his brother Rob Ford after he was felled with cancer, he could take another shot at Tory for the mayor’s job.

There are many who believe Tory needs a challenger, and while there’s no question the mayor is popular and has brought a sense of stability to the office, he’s vulnerable in a debate on SmartTrack, budgets and spending issues.

On the provincial side, Ford would join a party that polls show is on the upswing and could form a government after a decade and a half in the weeds.

A fiscal candidate could be an effective front-line soldier for Brown, who needs an attack dog to go after Premier Kathleen Wynne on her debt pile on and hot button topics like hydro bills.

If Wynne turns it around and is able to win the election, it could perhaps open a window for Ford and other high-profile PC hopeful Caroline Mulroney to challenge for the party leadership.

Lots of fun speculation here but no real facts.

What seems to be a fact is Ford is ready to honour his promise of stepping back into the political ring.

On what that will look like, we will find out on Sept. 8.

“Make sure you are there,” he teased.

In the past, Ford has made bold pronouncements that gathered a media throng — who ended up disappointed with the news.

But that is not expected to happen this time.

He has always promised to run politically and all indications are he will be doing just that.

But where?

Sometime between the beer, burgers and music, we will find out a week from Friday.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....-ford-fest
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Ford announces he will run for mayor of Toronto in 2018

Canadian Press

Saturday, September 9th, 2017

TORONTO – Former Toronto city councillor Doug Ford says he will be running for mayor in the 2018 municipal election.

Ford made the announcement Friday night during his family’s annual Ford Fest barbecue in Toronto, saying he is entering the next election to continue his late brother’s legacy.

His last run for the position came in September 2014 when Rob Ford withdrew from the election after he was diagnosed with a tumour in his abdomen.

The former Toronto mayor – who earned international headlines in light of his admitted crack cocaine use, alcohol abuse and lewd comments – died almost two years later.

Doug lost the 2014 election to Toronto’s current mayor, John Tory.

In his announcement Friday, Doug says is No. 1 job as mayor would be to save Toronto taxpayers money.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/09/09.....o-in-2018/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like Brown doesn't want him. I imagine Ford would want some kind of commitment on a cabinet seat.

Jump to: