Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Liberal mpp Brad Duguid won't run in next election Reply with quote

(another blow to wynne's already bleak chances of getting re elected , another high profile Toronto mpp is moving on )

Brad Duguid won’t run in 2018 provincial election

Duguid — whose announcement comes less than six weeks after former environment and climate change minister Glen Murray retired — insisted he is not leaving because he is worried the Liberals won’t get re-elected.

Ontario Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid, pictured in June 2016, said a mild heart attack last year was a sobering reminder that he is a “mortal.” The cabinet minister has announced he won't seek re-election in 2018.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Fri., Sept. 8, 2017

One of Premier Kathleen Wynne’s best players is hanging up his skates.

Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid will not run for re-election in the June 7, 2018 campaign.

Duguid, 55, has represented Scarborough Centre since 2003 and was a city councillor for nine years before that.

He has been Wynne’s point man on economic growth, travelling the world to attract investment to Ontario, and served as the “voice of business” at the cabinet table.

Read more: Heart attack leads to better choices, new priorities for cabinet minister Brad Duguid

But Duguid — whose announcement comes less than six weeks after former environment and climate change minister Glen Murray retired — insisted he is not leaving because he is worried the Liberals won’t get re-elected.

“We’ve had the privilege of serving the people of Ontario for 14 years — I am very confident that Kathleen Wynne will offer the best alternative going into the next election,” said the minister, who is expected to remain in cabinet until the election.

“People will rally around again to choose that best alternative,” he told the Star on Thursday in his Bay Street office decorated with Indigenous art and political and hockey memorabilia.

While sources say several other senior ministers are pondering not running again next spring, Duguid noted that people have their own individual reasons for moving on.

“Like a good boxer . . . you have to know when it’s time to go personally,” said the veteran, who also served as minister of labour, Aboriginal affairs, energy and infrastructure, and training, colleges, and universities.

“I’m not old but I am old enough to know that the runway is shorter than it used to be — that now is the time to go and find another way to contribute,” he said, adding he has not yet determined what he will do after politics.

Duguid said a mild heart attack in April 2016 was a sobering reminder that he is a “mortal.”

He has since lost 25 pounds and looks a decade younger than he did thanks to his “whole food plant-based diet” that has him thriving on fruits and vegetables.

“I feel stronger both mentally and physically than I have in a very long time because of the fact that I have dedicated more time to fitness and nutrition.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/09/08/brad-duguid-wont-run-in-2018-provincial-election.html
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duguid won his seat by a 2-1 margin over his nearest rival. This was in 2011, in an election that Liberals figure to lose. This has to be quite a safe Liberal seat.

On the other hand, when you've been in an important cabinet position for six years, the thought of taking a seat in the opposition probably doesn't seem that appealing.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Duguid won his seat by a 2-1 margin over his nearest rival. This was in 2011, in an election that Liberals figure to lose. This has to be quite a safe Liberal seat.

On the other hand, when you've been in an important cabinet position for six years, the thought of taking a seat in the opposition probably doesn't seem that appealing.

scarborough centre has been pretty safe for the liberals in recent years , I'd describe it as a fairly safe liberal riding under normal circumstances , but if the ndp surges in Toronto and pc's make gains it could be a lot closer , it had also be pc in 95 and 99 elections , when the party was winning seats in the city

also remember in 2011 it was one of the seats the cpc actually won federally in Toronto although it went back easily to the liberals in 2015

but more I suspect Duguid retired not cause he felt he was going to lose but more it was time to leave . and the prospect of being in opposition even if he holds the riding didn't look that good , the reality is being an mpp from 2003 till now is a very long time and maybe he just wanted a change

Jump to: