Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Canada demands US promote unions to keep NAFTA Reply with quote

Quote:
Canada demands U.S. end ‘right to work’ laws as part of NAFTA talks
SEPTEMBER 3, 2017

Canadian negotiators are demanding the United States roll back so-called "right to work" laws – accused of gutting unions in some U.S. states by starving them of money – as part of the renegotiation of the North American free-trade agreement. The request is part of a push by Ottawa to get the U.S. and Mexico to adopt higher labour standards under the deal.

Mexico, meanwhile, is campaigning to include its oil and gas sector in the deal.

These major moves on the labour and energy files came over the weekend at the second round of NAFTA renegotiations in Mexico City.

One group of negotiators spent all day Sunday working on the labour file, according to a schedule of the talks obtained by The Globe and Mail. One source familiar with the discussions said Canada wants the United States to pass a federal law stopping state governments from enacting right-to-work legislation; the source said the United States has not agreed to such a request. Canada believes that lower labour standards in the United States and Mexico, including right to work, give those countries an unfair advantage in attracting jobs.

Jerry Dias, the leader of Canada's largest private-sector trade union, said Ottawa's negotiators are: pushing Mexico on its corporate-sanctioned unions, which are accused of negotiating collective agreements unfavourable to workers; agitating for both countries to offer a year of paid family leave, as Canada does; and targeting American right-to-work laws that allow workers in unionized shops to refuse to pay dues, draining money from unions.

"I'm very pleased with the position the Canadian government is taking on labour standards," Mr. Dias, president of Unifor, told reporters outside the talks. "Canada's got two problems: The low wage rates in Mexico and the right-to-work states in the United States." [....]
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/canada-demands-us-end-right-to-work-laws-as-part-of-nafta-talks/article36160015/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

I think this is incredible. That is, "ïncredible" as in UN-BEE-LEEVE-ABLE!

Why are they doing this? Why do our negotiators think think this is something that is reasonable, or even wanted by Mainstreet Canadians?

This will not allow us into American markets in a new way, or protect ours in a new way. It's a clear interference in American domestic politics. I wonder if the US Federal government can even make a law like this. They do have a real constitution down there, you know.

Why are they messing up the negotiations with this crap? If Trump scraps NAFTA, it will be because Trump thinks Canada and Mexico aren't serious about finding a solution.

In my opinion, we should (1) recognize the problem that Trump wants to solve, and (2) look for solutions through liberalizing trade, rather than creating barriers. And we should clean up where we clearly violate, like BC softwood lumber. But that's a provincial matter.

This is not a time to demand that Trump go 'green' or worry about transgender rights in Mexico, or any of the other dipsy ideas of our cabinet members responsible. (Chrystia Freeland.) Doing that will encourage Trump to tear up the treaty -- and then where are we?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine anyone on Canada's side of the table feels they have the slightest chance of making this a reality.

They are playing to their base at home to appear they are playing hardball;
Before they ultimately make concessions which they will downplay.

To echos Bugs sentiment;
Its unbelievable that Canada would even consider taking away States rights in another country as part of a free trade agreement.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretend with me ...

I am an American negotiator and the Canadian team makes this proposal ... so what do I quietly whisper under my breath to my colleague?

It's like a caption contest. See if you can guess ...
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Pretend with me ...

I am an American negotiator and the Canadian team makes this proposal ... so what do I quietly whisper under my breath to my colleague?

It's like a caption contest. See if you can guess ...

I am not sure I could say my first reaction in polite company LOL.

Jump to: