Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Well, sorry, I didn't mean to direct the remarks specifically at you. I am trying to point out the flaws with this approach. There is nothing personal in my comments, and I hope you didn't take it that way.

No offense taken at all;
It was just right after my post so I wasn't sure if it was for me or not.

I apologize for making the assumption.

Bugs wrote:
Let me use this occasion to explore my own thinking along this line. I think we do differ on this, but probably more of it is due to the fact that you're a busy guy, and you willing delegate a lot of stuff to the party itself. But you are open-minded enough to listen to a pitch

I can't comment on all as in some cases I will admit to ignorance and as such I cannot add any value, but I am always happy to debate and discuss.

Bugs wrote:
Closer to home, it seems like the welfare state is on the edge of becoming insane. Here's the root problem, as I see it. Campaigning in the welfare state has consisted of a 'bidding war' amongst the parties of the left, each competing to outdo the other in the giveaway fiesta. And the Conservatives stand glumly by, promising an electorate who largely don't pay taxes that long range planning and incremental change can get us to the same place.

I think that spending is rapidly becoming a problem;
We have all seen this movie before, we spent a tremendous amount of money in the late 60s and 70s developing a fairly significant social safety net but did so borrowing a tremendous amount of money because we simply assumed that interest was low and the growth in individual and industrial wealth would allow us to maintain this level of public spending.

We saw what happened when interest ballooned;
Massive spending cuts coupled with huge interest payments.

I am largely watching a re-run of that in Federally (and in Ontario) presently.

Buying votes is hardly new, its been a thing on all sides of the political spectrum since the advent of the concept of needing a voter to vote for person X.

Its a huge concern because eventually the income streams can eventually vanish or leave. The lack of planning in terms of growing revenue by growing innovation is greatly limited currently IMO.

Bugs wrote:
The problem is, from the Conservative side, that as fiscal damage is repaired, the heat comes off, and the allure of baby bonus cheques becomes greater. (If you have a couple of young kids, you can get an extra $1000 a month out of this right now!) Hadn't we get an effective way of competing against this kind of vote-buying?

While I didn't mind seeing programs like that evenly applied to all Canadians, your point is well taken.

I think Conservatives in general need to stop trying to be Liberals with targeted credits, Harper entered office with a very simply 1 + 1 reduction to the GST, allowing Canadians to keep more of their own money.

At the core smaller government, less taxes is the approach that should be taken the challenge is often that you have to pay for the last guys while trying to do that.

Bugs wrote:
If you look to our usual 'leadership pool' you find people concerned about climate change and making sure the world is even nicer for women. They are the candidates chiefly because they're journeyman politicians but they speak French well enough to impress Anglos. We end up selecting a person who has more 13th ballot votes!

I look at our most recent leadership election in a similar manner to the Ontario PCs electing Patrick Brown.

None of the heavy hitters wanted the job because it was a lot of heavy lifting,
Party debt, divided electorate, and everyone looking for a cause of blame as to why 2015 was lost.

While you and I enjoyed Bernier (me more toward the end) I think if we had the option of picking five Conservative politicians in Canada, regardless of interest in the job or not before leadership race began, I don't think either of us would have had Bernier on the list?

That's not to say he isn't a good option;
But he was the best option available to us.

The candidates were underwhelming and now we are paying the price for being a party of consensus after 13 ballots

Bugs wrote:
And yet we had a leadership that was skewed to ensure that the areas that never voted Conservative were fully represented. Unfortunately, that means, in a lot of ridings, small groups could capture a lot of 'points' because nobody serious is even interested it the Conservative nomination in that riding.

You and I are largely on the same page;
I don't love how we pick leaders, however I don't have a better suggestion on how I would run it fairly.

Even if we didn't factor in riding level points, I still believe Scheer ended up with more votes which means even if went with one member, one vote regardless of riding I would have the same result.

I don't like the party floor style delegates changing affiliations with no accountability to the electorate,

I don't know? I wish I had a better answer.

Bugs wrote:
I invite you to consider the other alternative -- which I take to be something like a secure internet election. Or a delegated election, in which there is 'brokering'of promises.

How would the leadership race been damaged if the party had thrown the election to the existing membership, on a certain date, and had the contenders demonstrate their appeal to the public? Imagine O'Leary and Bernier setting the pace. It could have been dyn-O-mite. Or a delegated election, where delegates could see the future leader responding under pressure.

I don't like delegated elections where delegates move based on backroom discussions; its how the Liberals ended up with Dion.

Giving my "power" to some delegate from my riding who can change votes after the first ballot for any reason of his or her choosing is something I am not a fan of. It removes me from the process after my initial vote.

However, a secure internet election?
Why not?

How would you weight the votes and would you require an eventual 50% majority? Or just go with the person with the most votes regardless of plurality?

Bugs wrote:
can we recognize, now, that this leader-selection process was deeply flawed. What disturbs me is that the people with fire in their bellies were so far down the candidate list. It isn't that there isn't a taste for that, in the party,

Also, what can be do to turn Andrew Scheer into a scrapper?

Sure,
Its flawed because the guy I wanted to win didn't win LOL.

The challenge I have is finding a system that would have got my guy elected as Scheer won on pure ballots (granted after 13 ballots) and by this "point system".

Had someone like Brad Wall or Jason Kenney ran (for the sake of argument) are we going the full 13 rounds or was the 13 rounds simply a by-product of picking a lesser evil?

The thing with Bernier is I think he is a front-runner in 2019 if this all goes sideways with Scheer.

The issue with Scheer is the same issue I have with Brown (as least policy wise) we are waiting around on a policy convention which I appreciate as it involves the grass roots but is frustration because Scheer ran on nearly zero policy of his own.

As such I have no idea what to expect?
If he borrows from Bernier and wants to turf capital gains; Awesome
If he opts to focus on targeted tax credits, well...you know my thoughts there.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been an interesting discussion. I don't want to represent myself as having the foresight to see this coming, back when it counted. I think I even wrote a post about how it was okay for the party to try proportional representation, but not for the federal government. Now I feel it has left us without the feeling of legitimacy. It isn't Scheer's fault, it's the combination of the narrowness of his victory and the way the rules aren't transparent.

There's something about voting and seeing the votes counted fairly, so everyone accepts who got the most votes is the leader. But points don't turn out to be the same thing as votes at all. They motivate the 'dirty tricks' part of politics, at least in a small way. It doesn't feel as legitimate as the more normal, winner-takes-all kind of election.

I think that's the heart of this problem.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the liberals are claiming to be confident about there chances in the by election )

Liberals confident about Quebec riding vacated by Lebel, despite no victories there since 1980

Outgoing Conservative MP Denis Lebel was a popular former mayor who will be hard for the party to replace.

Former Quebec Conservative MP Denis Lebel officially resigned from his House seat earlier this month. The Liberals are hoping to steal this seat in the byelection that has not yet been scheduled.The Hill Times photograph by Jake Wright

By ABBAS RANA

PUBLISHED : Monday, Aug. 28, 2017 12:00 AM

The Liberals are confident about their chances of replacing the recently departed Conservative MP Denis Lebel in the riding of Lac-Saint-Jean, Que., despite not having won a seat there in 37 years and finishing third in the 2015 election.

Liberals are saying that because of the party’s impressive performance nationally in 2015 and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s (Papineau, Que.) personal popularity, they will surprise political opponents by winning Mr. Lebel’s old riding in the upcoming byelection.

“The Liberal Party will win the next election in Lac-Saint-Jean, 100 per cent sure,” said Richard Hébert, who is one of the two candidates running for the Liberal nomination in the riding. The second candidate seeking the Liberal nomination is Marjolaine Étienne, an Indigenous community leader.

Liberals say the popularity of Justin Trudeau will help them win a byelection in the riding vacated by Denis Lebel. The Hill Times photograph by Sam Garcia

As of deadline last week, Mr. Trudeau (Papineau, Que.) had not called the byelection in the riding. The seat there officially became vacant on Aug. 9, and according to Elections Canada, the prime minister has until Feb. 5, 2018 to call the byelection, for which at least 36 days notice must be given.

None of the main parties have yet chosen their candidates for the byelection.

In the last election, Mr. Lebel, a former popular mayor of Roberval, Que., was re-elected a third time with 33.3 per cent of the votes, 4.8 percentage points ahead of second-place NDP candidate Gisèle Dallaire who had 28.4 per cent, and the Liberal and Bloc Québécois candidates each had a little more than 18 per cent.

Mr. Hébert, mayor of the northern Quebec town of Dolbeau-Mistassini, said the NDP came in second last time because at the start of the 2015 campaign, the NDP was the front-runner nationally and had won 59 seats in the province in 2011. But now the Liberals are in power, and Mr. Trudeau is a popular figure nationally and in Quebec, he said, while predicting the NDP will not be able to perform well enough to win the riding.

Mr. Hébert added that the residents of Lac-Saint-Jean, would like to elect someone who will sit on the government benches, giving the riding more influence than electing someone who will be an opposition backbencher.

“The population will vote for the one who will be on the government [side],” said Mr. Hébert.

Former Liberal candidate Sabin Simard, who ran unsuccessfully in the last election, said he’s not running again, but predicted that the riding will go Liberal in the byelection because the party won more seats than any other party in the last federal election, and Mr. Trudeau is more popular than other party leaders.

Mr. Simard said federal Quebec Liberal MPs are holding their caucus retreat in the riding Aug. 30 and 31, and it will give the Liberals more profile in the riding. Prime Minister Trudeau also spent two days in the riding meeting with people last month.

Mr. Simard, now the local riding association president, told The Hill Times the last date to enter the nomination contest was two weeks ago, and only two candidates are running for the nomination.

Braeden Caley, senior director of communications for the Liberal Party told The Hill Times last week that the party had not yet set a nomination date.

Mr. Lebel was first elected in a byelection in 2007 in what was then the riding of Roberval-Lac-Saint-Jean, after it being held by the Bloc Québécois since 1993. Amid boundary changes over the years, a separate riding known as Lac-Saint-Jean existed along side this one for many decades and it was held by the Bloc from 1991 until being merged with other ridings for the 2004 election.

The Lac-Saint-Jean riding was recreated in time for the 2015 election, combining the former ridings of Roberval-Lac-Saint-Jean and Jonquière-Alma.

Conservative MP Gérard Deltell (Louis-Saint-Laurent, Que.) told The Hill Times the party has not chosen its candidate yet, but will elect one in the coming weeks. He said the party has reached out to certain candidates to run in this riding and some have approached the party, but he declined to share names. Mr. Deltell said that despite the Conservatives’ recent success in this riding, it will not take anything for granted in the byelection.

“I got elected with a big majority, but I never take anything for granted,” he said, adding that Quebec Conservative MPs are holding their caucus meeting in mid-September in Lac-Saint-Jean.

Ms. Dallaire, a psychologist who’s again seeking the NDP nomination for Lac-Saint-Jean, said she lost the riding last time by a small margin and is confident that she would win in the byelection. She conceded that the Liberals are in power and will put in a lot of resources to win. As well, she said the Conservatives have a big election machine in the riding, as proven by their last four wins.

But she pointed out that the riding has not elected a Liberal since 1980, and after having a Conservative MP for the last decade, residents there want change.

“[The Liberals are] putting in a lot of effort to win, [but] there’s no Liberal tradition in Lac-Saint-Jean,” she said. “It’s been a very long time since we had a Liberal MP [in this riding], I was a very little girl at that time. [Constituents in the new riding are] looking for a new person.”

An NDP spokesman told The Hill Times that the party has not fixed a nomination date, and as of last week, Ms. Dallaire was the only declared candidate.

Pollster Greg Lyle of Innovative Research said although the constituents of Lac-Saint-Jean have not elected a Liberal candidate in a long time, this time could be different. He cited Liberals’ success in 2015, when they won 40 of Quebec’s 78 seats. Mr. Lyle, however, said it would be an uphill battle for the Grits to go from third place to first in this riding.

“For the Liberals to get from 18 per cent to win will be pretty remarkable, especially in a midterm,” Mr. Lyle said.

Mr. Lyle said the challenge for the Conservatives is that their outgoing MP was a strong local candidate, and it remains to be seen if they can find someone else as popular.

The NDP is currently in the process of replacing a Quebec-based leader, Tom Mulcair (Outremont, Que.), and it’s unknown how well known or popular his replacement will be in Quebec, Mr. Lyle noted. That leadership contest is a four-way race between MPs Guy Caron (Rimouski-Neigette-Témiscouata-Les Basques, Que.), Charlie Angus (Timmins-James Bay, Ont.), and Niki Ashton (Churchill-Keewatinook Aski, Man.), and also Ontario MPP Jagmeet Singh.

“It really is a test for all three of those parties,” Mr. Lyle.

He also said that the Bloc Québécois has not done well in recent election, but is still a force to be reckoned with. Mr. Lyle said much depends on the campaign performance of the sovereigntist party.

In the Stephen Harper cabinet, Mr. Lebel served as Quebec lieutenant, and up until the Conservative Party leadership election served as the interim deputy leader.

Prior to Mr. Lebel, Lac-Saint-Jean was a strong Bloc Québécois stronghold. Since its creation going back to 1924, the riding—where more than 98 per cent of the population’s mother tongue is French—has undergone numerous boundary and name changes. Lucien Bouchard represented this riding between 1988 and 1996, as a Progressive Conservative, then Independent, and then Bloc MP. Later, he left federal politics to lead the Parti Québécois. After Mr. Bouchard, two Bloc MPs, Stéphan Tremblay and Sébastien Gagnon, held the riding.

The last time the Liberals won this riding was in the 1980 election. The party held this riding between 1968 and 1984, with Marcel Lessard and Pierre Gimaïel as MPs.

https://www.hilltimes.com/2017/08/28/lac-saint-jean-que-nearly-four-decades-local-liberals-now-100-per-cent-sure-party-will-win-byelection/117115
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberals laying groundwork for upset in looming Lac-Saint-Jean by-election

Open this photo in gallery:

This photo taken Aug. 11, 2014 shows a cyclist taking in the view of Lac-Saint-Jean from a bicycle trail. Mr. Trudeau spent two days in late July boosting support for his party in the region.

Cal Woodward/The Associated Press

Daniel Leblanc

OTTAWA

August 21, 2017

August 21, 2017

The riding of Lac-Saint-Jean is usually a lost cause for the Liberal Party of Canada, which has won only a single time in the heartland of Quebec nationalism since 1958.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his team are nonetheless working the area heavily ahead of a looming by-election, feeling an upset in the previously Conservative riding is within their grasp.

Mr. Trudeau spent two days in late July boosting support for his party in the region, including attending a large street festival in the city of Roberval where his personal popularity was on full display.

The Liberals are planning another show of strength in the riding, with their Quebec team gathering on Aug. 30 and 31 in the city of Alma for their traditional summer caucus meeting. Party officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed they deliberately picked the meeting spot as part of a charm offensive in the traditionally hostile territory.

While the Liberal nomination and the date of the by-election have yet to be announced, Mr. Trudeau is expected to move quickly to capitalize on his party's momentum in Quebec. A Liberal victory would be significant, as incumbents have won all previous by-elections in the current Parliament.

Pollster Jean-Marc Léger said the Liberals are up by more than 10 points in Quebec since the 2015 election, when they took a surprising haul of 40 out of 78 seats. In that context, he said they would be smart to strike as early as possible in Lac-Saint-Jean, even if the Liberal candidate finished well behind the Conservative Party and the NDP two years ago.

"In a riding like Lac-Saint-Jean, things are becoming tight. There are few seats in Quebec that are not within the reach of the Liberal Party right now," Mr. Léger said. "While Mr. Trudeau's popularity has gone down in the rest of Canada, it is still at its peak in Quebec."

Since a surprise Liberal victory in 1980, the riding currently known as Lac-Saint-Jean voted twice for Brian Mulroney's Progressive Conservatives, five times for the Bloc Québécois and four times for Stephen Harper's Conservatives.

The Conservatives are bracing for a fight to hold on to the riding, which they took over from the Bloc Québécois in 2007 when former Roberval mayor Denis Lebel made the jump into federal politics. Mr. Lebel, who became a cabinet minister and his party's Quebec lieutenant, won three more elections and proved to be a key player in the Harper government.

However, he announced in June that he was leaving politics and joining the Québec Forest Industry Council. The vacancy will prove a key test for the major federal parties in Quebec.

"This is a seat we absolutely want to keep, although we know it won't be easy," said Conservative MP Alain Rayes, who is Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer's new Quebec lieutenant. "This is a test as much for the Liberals as for us as Conservatives. This by-election will give us a sense of what will happen in the next election."

The Conservatives have yet to nominate a candidate, but they already know on which issues they plan to fight the Liberals: the ongoing softwood dispute with the United States, the recent influx of asylum seekers in Quebec, agricultural policy and the controversial decision to legalize marijuana by next July.

"People are really concerned about the legislation [to legalize marijuana] that Mr. Trudeau is pushing through rapidly," said Mr. Rayes, who was in the riding with Mr. Scheer in late July. "People here are not at ease with that policy."

According to Liberal officials and would-be Liberal candidates, two elements are playing in their favour at this point: Mr. Trudeau's personal appeal, and the desire of Lac-Saint-Jean voters to have an MP on the government benches.

"I share many ideas with Mr. Trudeau, and there is now a good opportunity to serve the public on the side that is in power," said Richard Hébert, the mayor of Dolbeau-Mistassini who is already campaigning for the Liberal nomination. "When a party is in power, it allows people to get their message across, and voters here see in me someone who would have a strong voice in Ottawa."

Mr. Trudeau spent two days in the riding last month where he met up with Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard, who represents the area in the National Assembly. Mr. Trudeau's personal popularity was obvious as he walked through the crowd of thousands at an open-air supper, shaking hands and snapping selfies for nearly two hours.

The following day, Mr. Trudeau played host to a roundtable with businesspeople and union officials, looking for ways to boost the economy in a region that is dependent on natural resources.

"We talked about the challenges facing Alma and the region," Mr. Trudeau told local reporters after the meeting. "I learned many things."

The NDP finished in second place in the riding in the 2011 and 2015 general elections. However, the party in the middle of a leadership race, which stands to hurt it on voting day.

The Bloc is also struggling in public-opinion polls under the leadership of Martine Ouellet, a former Parti Québécois leadership candidate who is currently sitting in Quebec's National Assembly as an independent.

"For the Bloc and the NDP, their odds are not very good in the riding at this point," Mr. Léger said.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberals-laying-groundwork-for-upset-in-looming-lac-saint-jean-by-election/article36051535/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a by election must take place sometime between now and this winter , considering its a cold northern riding my bet would be a fall by election )

A by-election will take place in Lac-Saint-Jean

GATINEAU, QC, Aug. 10, 2017 /CNW/ -
•On Wednesday, August 9, 2017, the Acting Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, received official notice from the Speaker of the House of Commons that the seat for Lac-Saint-Jean (Quebec) is vacant. A by-election will take place to fill the vacant seat.
•The date of the by-election must be announced between Sunday, August 20, 2017 and Monday, February 5, 2018. This announcement signals the start of the by-election period.
•The by-election period must last at least 36 days, and the by-election must be held on a Monday. Therefore, the earliest date that the Lac-Saint-Jean by-election can be held is Monday September 25, 2017.
•The Canada Elections Act does not prescribe a maximum length of time for a by-election period.
•See a list of all vacant seats in the House of Commons since the 2015 general election.

Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.

Subscribe to our news service at elections.ca.

SOURCE Elections Canada

For further information: Elections Canada Media Relations, 1-877-877-9515, elections.ca
RELATED LINKS
http://www.elections.ca
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are federal Liberals shaping up? Watch the Lac-St-Jean byelection: Hébert

Denis Lebel resigned in June after having served as deputy leader over the Conservative leadership campaign. The riding is already registering a higher-than-normal volume of political traffic.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, here with Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard in July, has helped the Liberals build a daunting lead on their rivals in Quebec since they won the election.

By Chantal HébertNational Affairs Columnist

Fri., Sept. 1, 2017

For a mid-mandate reality check on the federal electoral dynamics, look no further than the battle that is shaping up in the riding of Lac-St-Jean.

A date has not yet been set for a byelection to replace former Conservative minister Denis Lebel. He resigned in June after having served as deputy leader over the party’s leadership campaign. The riding is already registering a higher-than-normal volume of political traffic.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau paid Lac-St-Jean a visit in July. This week, it was the site of the summer gathering of the government’s Quebec caucus. On Thursday, a handful of provincial and federal ministers were on hand to unveil a plan to fund high-speed internet in the region, north of Quebec City.

Not to be outdone, the Conservatives’ Quebec MPs will also be travelling to the riding for their pre-sessional caucus, albeit without a pocketbook in hand.

In the last election, the Liberals ran third, 10 points behind the NDP and 15 points behind the Conservatives in Lac-St-Jean. They barely beat the Bloc Québécois for fourth place. On paper, this is not the kind of riding where a governing party would set itself up for a test. Nor does this rural seat fit the urban profile usually associated with prime Liberal territory.

Except that since they took office, the Liberals have built a daunting lead on their rivals in Quebec. They actually achieved that with a minimum of heavy lifting. The byelection will be an opportunity to check whether the party’s strong showing in the polls is real and, in the best-case scenario for Trudeau, to strike a blow at the morale of the opposition parties.

This will be the first Quebec electoral test for the new leaders of the Conservative party and the Bloc Québécois. Depending on the timing of the vote, the NDP could have selected Thomas Mulcair’s successor by then. In that case, his or her honeymoon could be short-lived.

Lac-St-Jean resisted the 2011 orange wave. The New Democrats did place second with 28 per cent of the vote to Lebel’s 33 per cent in 2015, but since then they have lost a significant amount of ground in Quebec voting intentions.

The last time the federal Liberals held the riding was back in 1980 at the time of Pierre Trudeau’s last campaign. Over the 35-year Liberal crossing of the Quebec desert that followed the 1982 patriation of the Constitution, Lac-St-Jean favoured the Conservatives under Brian Mulroney as well as for most of the Stephen Harper era. It was a Bloc Québécois fortress for the duration of the Chrétien/Martin decade.

Lucien Bouchard, right, was meant to be Brian Mulroney’s star standard-bearer in Quebec when he won a byelection in 1988. But the riding stayed with Bouchard when he left the Tories to create the Bloc Québécois a few years later.

Lucien Bouchard, right, was meant to be Brian Mulroney’s star standard-bearer in Quebec when he won a byelection in 1988. But the riding stayed with Bouchard when he left the Tories to create the Bloc Québécois a few years later. (JAQUES BOISSINOT/Canadian Press file photo)

Indeed, the last time the riding was on the national radar goes back almost 30 years to June 1988 and a byelection called by Mulroney to get Lucien Bouchard in the House of Commons.

The stakes were high. The Tories were in the fourth year of their mandate. The free-trade election was on the horizon. Bouchard was meant to be Mulroney’s star standard-bearer in Quebec. The Tories won the byelection, but the riding stayed with Bouchard when he left the Tories to create the Bloc a few years later.

These days, one would be hard-pressed to find much evidence of the glory days of the BQ in Lac-St-Jean. Martine Ouellet, the party’s latest leader, would face long odds if she relinquished her seat in the National Assembly to run in the byelection.

Provincially, the Parti Québécois is running behind Premier Philippe Couillard’s Liberals and the Coalition Avenir Québec. PQ leader Jean-François Lisée does not have coattails that a Bloc candidate can hope to ride to a strong showing in Lac-St-Jean.

Lebel was Harper’s Quebec lieutenant and, probably, his most popular minister. It was that popularity that allowed him to survive the orange wave and the subsequent Conservative defeat. The riding’s voters miss him more than they have ever missed Harper. If Andrew Scheer’s candidate does not do well this fall, the rookie Conservative leader should not take it too personally.

A win for the Liberals in Lac-St-Jean would say little about their standing in the rest of the country. Quebec’s federal climate remains distinctively different. But looking to the 2019 election, the province offers Trudeau his best opportunities for gains. Logically, the second half of the mandate should see the Liberals devote more energy to the prime minister’s home province.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/09/01/how-are-federal-liberals-shaping-up-watch-the-lac-st-jean-byelection-hbert.html
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberals in Lac-Saint-Jean nominate local mayor as byelection candidate

Beatrice Britneff

Thursday, September 7th, 2017

Liberal party members in Lac-Saint-Jean have nominated a local mayor as their candidate for the upcoming federal byelection in the northern Quebec riding.

Dolbeau-Mistassini Mayor Richard Hébert beat Indigenous community leader Marjolaine Étienne for the opportunity to run for the governing Liberals.

The riding’s former Conservative member of Parliament, Denis Lebel, quit politics mid-June after serving in Parliament for nearly 10 years. Lebel’s seat in the House of Commons has been vacant since August 9....

Bienvenue dans l’#ÉquipeTrudeau, Richard. Nous savons que vous défendrez votre collectivité et la classe moyenne. #LacSaintJean...

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/09/07.....e-tonight/

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: