Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Crawford to run for Ontario PC Party in Oakville

News Aug 03, 2017 by Marta Marychuk  Oakville Beaver|

Stephen Crawford to run for Ontario PC Party in Oakville

Stephen Crawford has won the nomination to run as the Ontario PC Party candidate for Oakville in the next provincial election.

The nomination meeting, which drew more than 1,000 party members, was held Wednesday, June 28, at Loyola Secondary School.

Crawford was elected on the second ballot, running against Ward 6 Oakville Town Councillor Natalia Lishchyna and Khurram Khan, an academic physician, educator and researcher.

Crawford, who was born in Mississauga, studied Political Science at Western University, in London, Ont., also has a Canadian Investment Manager (CIM) designation. He works as a financial services executive.

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/7485727-stephen-crawford-to-run-for-ontario-pc-party-in-oakville/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline Mulroney seeks York-Simcoe PC nomination

By Bradford Times Staff

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 9:16:47 EDT PM

Caroline Mulroney is seeking the PC nomination in the provincial riding of York-Simcoe. Submitted

Julia Munro, long-time MPP for York-Simcoe, has announced that she will not be running in the 2018 provincial election, leaving a vacancy for a new Progressive Conservative candidate in the riding.

Caroline Mulroney has put her name forward to seek the nomination.

“Julia Munro has been serving this riding with distinction and grace for 22 years. It is an honour for me to try to fill her shoes,” said Mulroney, vice president of the Toronto-based investment firm BloombergSen Investment Partners.

York-Simcoe has been “a Tory riding for many years,” but Mulroney’s not taking anything for granted. She is meeting with PC supporters, reaching out to expand the membership and hoping for solid support that will help her join the team of PC leader Patrick Brown, currently the MPP for Simcoe-North.

Brown has “a positive vision for Ontario,” despite recent criticism from some quarters. “In terms of policies, we’re working with party members to make sure policy reflects what people want. I have great confidence in Patrick Brown,” she said. “He understands what people here want and care about.”

After speaking with residents in the riding, Mulroney says, “I get the sense that people want change. From all the people I’ve spoken with, the people of York-Simcoe want change. People tell me that what matters to them is the rising cost of living – the cost of housing, hydro rates, taxes... the affordability.”

She wants to bring her skills as a business woman, financial analyst, lawyer and manager to the riding and to the party, and has already found a connection to Bradford West Gwillimbury. An active volunteer – Mulroney is a member of the board of directors for the SickKids Foundation, a Governor of the National Theatre School of Canada, and co-founder and chair of the Shoebox Project for Shelters charity that invites donors to fill a shoebox with personal hygiene supplies and small gifts for women and girls in shelters or facing homelessness – she is impressed by the local level of volunteerism.

“People are very involved in their community in different ways.”

On a recent visit to the community, she was accompanied by federal MP Peter Van Loan. “Caroline is a great listener, she cares, and she wants to build a better future,” said Van Loan. “I’m impressed with how many York-Simcoe community leaders are backing Caroline Mulroney to stand up for us.”

Munro said she was “delighted” by the news Mulroney would seek the nomination. “I really feel she has the fundamental understanding of people and families... And she’s an accomplished woman.”

The York-Simcoe nomination meeting takes place Sept. 10, at the Georgina Ice Palace. In the days leading up to the vote, Mulroney will be selling party memberships and attending local events, including CarrotFest in Bradford.

A resident of Georgina, Mulroney is married to Andrew Lapham; the couple has four children. She is a graduate of Harvard College and the NYU School of Law.

And yes, she is sister of television personality Ben Mulroney and daughter of Brian Mulroney, the 18th Prime Minister of Canada. So why Provincial, and not federal politics? “The issues that Queen’s Park deals with are the things that matter to me - education, roads,” she says. “As a mother, these are the things I care about.”

For more information call 905-960-1457 or see www.carolinemulroney.ca

http://www.thepeterboroughexam.....nomination
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't our politics already suffered enough from nepotism? What other 'great man' is going to jettison his useless, over-indulged kids on the public as 'future leaders'. Isn't it bad enough that we have to endure their talentless faces on government television?

Nothing stinks of privilege more than Justin Trudeau, a man who lives off his father's name and his mother's money. Do we want more of these? A leadership pool made up of linguistic hermaphrodites who have grown up at 24 Sussex?
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the Niagara falls nomination will not be decided until October )

Local Tories set October dates for nomination

By Ray Spiteri, Niagara Falls Review

Thursday, August 10, 2017 3:01:48 EDT PM

Mike Strange (NIAGARA FALLS REVIEW/POSTMEDIA NETWORK FILE PHOTO)

Progressive Conservatives in the Niagara Falls riding may know by mid-to-late October who their candidate will be in next June’s provincial election.

Bart Maves, long-time party faithful and past president of the riding association, said Oct. 17 and Oct. 24 have been selected as dates the party could choose a candidate.

“We actually have to submit those dates to the party, and the party looks at their schedule because they come down and supervise all the nominations,” he said.

“They have to get back to us and say, ‘OK, we think your riding association is in good enough shape financially, we think you’ve done proper searches, we think you have an interesting enough list of candidates … you can have it on,’ and they pick one of the dates. They could also call us back and say, ‘no, you know what, we already have too many nominations occurring in that seven-day period …’ (and pick another date).”

So far, Niagara Falls Coun. Mike Strange has been the only person to publicly declared he is running for the nomination.

Strange said he has heard someone from Niagara-on-the-Lake council, and a couple business people from Fort Erie, are also considering a run.

“I actually would rather have someone to go against,” said Strange, who has been a politician for three years and made a name for himself through his Olympic boxing career, and more recently his charitable efforts.

“It kind of makes you feel comfortable talking about different topics. I’m not looking to get acclaimed or anything like that.”

Maves said at least eight people “have requested the package” seeking the riding’s nomination.

“Now, that’s all I can tell you, and the reason why is, if someone is going to run, or is strongly considering running, there’s personal issues that are involved, there’s professional issues with their work. We kind of have a policy where we don’t announce who’s taking the package, we don’t announce who’s running. We let people, if they want to do that on their own, in their own good time.”

He said local associations “don’t run their own show anymore.”

While they conduct candidate searches, those interested in being a candidate have to request a questionnaire and send that in to the Ontario PC party “because you’re running under their banner.”

“A lot of the rules governing nominations now are set at the Toronto level.”

Maves said as part of the committee responsible for the candidate search, he talked to about 60 or 70 people, and interviewed about 30.

“I just go and I talk to them, listen to them about their interest, explain the process to get the nomination, explain what it’s like to be an MPP (Maves served as Niagara Falls PC MPP between 1995 and 2003), and explain what it’s like to be a candidate, and costs,” he said.

“After I’ve talked to all these people, you get a handful who will ask for the questionnaire/application, which is a 30-page document that asks for a bunch of information about them, and they submit that to the PC party of Ontario.”

Maves said the party conducts background checks on potential candidates, interviews them, and “green lights someone as a candidate.”

“I’ve done these candidate searches before — federally and provincially — and a lot of times people are like, ‘oh, no, no, I have no interest, thank you very much, it’s flattering that you would ask’ kind of thing. This time around there’s a lot of people who I kind of expected that response from, but were very interested. I always encourage everyone, talk to your family, talk to your friends, and so on and so forth, and think it through, so a lot of them did.”

The riding association held its annual general meeting Aug. 3, where members received a financial update, and a new board was elected.

Murna Dalton has taken over from Maves as association president, while Maves will continue on as past president.

“There’s turnover where people move between positions,” said Maves.

“Murna goes way back with the party. When I got elected in ’95, she was on the PC Ontario executive, and she was a big volunteer for the party. I’ve known her a long time. She’s a great person to have on the board.”

Meanwhile, the Niagara Falls provincial Liberal riding association does not yet have a date set to select who its candidate will be in next year’s election.

“We are working with various people, and talking with various people, but nothing concrete yet,” said riding president Karen Gansel.

“I’d say at least another month (before a nomination date is set).”

Niagara Falls incumbent NDP MPP Wayne Gates received unanimous approval from members and supporters at a nomination meeting in July to be the riding’s candidate for next year’s election.

Gates ran unopposed at the July 18 meeting.

Gates, a former Niagara Falls city councillor, won a byelection in 2014, and then retained his seat during a general election in June of that year

http://www.niagarafallsreview......nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterborough Tory PC nomination race locked in

Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:12:20 EDT AM

Ontario PC Party logo

The three men who said they're interested in seeking the provincial PC nomination in Peterborough have all been approved to do so by the party - and it's unlikely now that anyone else will enter the race.

Peterborough Agricultural Society president Ryan Moore, Under the Lock hockey tournament founder David Smith and engineer Derek Andreoli have been approved - or "greenlit," by the PC party.

The deadline for anyone to apply to become a candidate for Peterborough-Kawartha is 5 p.m. on Thursday, states the PC party's website.

The nomination meeting is taking place on Sept. 14 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Evinrude Centre banquet hall.

Heather Kenney, the regional vice-president for the Ontario PC party and the president of the local riding association, said the three men now must be registered as candidates with Elections Ontario.

The deadline to buy a membership to qualify to vote at the nomination meeting is Aug. 24.

New memberships, or renewals of lapsed memberships, must be purchased or renewed by 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 24.

The next provincial election is expected in June 2018.

Four-term incumbent Liberal MPP Jeff Leal has not indicated if he will seek re-election.

Teenager Zach Hatton is seeking the riding's NDP nomination.

http://www.thepeterboroughexam.....-locked-in
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Matichuk chief of staff running for PCs

By Sudbury Star Staff

Sunday, August 20, 2017 8:39:07 EDT PM

Christine Hogarth

Christine Hogarth, the chief of staff for much of former Sudbury mayor Marianne Matichuk’s term, is jumping into politics.

Hogarth is running for the Progressive Conservatives in the Toronto-area riding of Etobicoke-Lakeshore.

“Christine Hogarth grew up in a conservative home where she was taught the value of hard work and the importance of public service,” a Facebook page promoting to her candidacy said.

“You only have to look at her track record to know she will be a powerful, passionate and influential voice for the people of Etobicoke-Lakeshore.”

The riding is currently held by Liberal MPP Peter Milczyn.

While the Facebook page, Christine Hogarth PC Candidate for Etobicoke-Lakeshore, mentions her education and her career in the public service and for the PCs, it does not mention Sudbury or her position as Matichuk’s chief of staff, a position she held from 2011 to 2014.

Hogarth quit suddenly in 2014 and never elaborated publicly on her decision. Sources, however, told The Star she had been thinking of stepping down for some time. When the mayor demanded Hogarth take defensive driving classes on the taxpayers’ dime -- even though she’s never been in an accident -- she decide to resign.

“I can’t go into detail about what happened that day,” Hogarth told The Star at the time. “It’s a privilege to work at the City of Greater Sudbury, to work with some of the people there … They’re a really good group of people to work for. I actually really enjoyed working with some of the people (there).”

Her Facebook page said she has worked in senior positions for a cabinet minister, two Ontario premiers and the leader of the official opposition. She was also the PC Party’s first female executive director and held two elected positions on the party executive. Outside government, she has worked for the Toronto Board of Trade and Canadian Automobile Association.

“Christine is currently heavily invested in the community, serving as executive assistant to a city councillor representing Etobicoke,” the page said. “She is also president of her local Homeowner’s Association Board of Directors, giving her unique insights into local issues of concern.”

PC leader Patrick Brown welcomed Hogarth’s nomination. “As a long-time party activist, Christine brings a wealth of experience to our modern, inclusive and pragmatic Ontario PC team,” he said on the party’s website. “Without a doubt she is the best choice for Etobicoke-Lakeshore.

“Having served at both the provincial and municipal levels of government, including working as the chief of staff to a mayor and executive assistant to a Toronto city councillor, Christine knows how to get stuff done. She understands the needs of her community and she will work tirelessly to deliver for her constituents.”

http://www.thesudburystar.com/.....ng-for-pcs
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latif Acclaimed as Windsor-Tecumseh PC Candidate

By Mark BrownAugust 26, 2017 3:54pm@markbrownradio

The Ontario Progressive Conservatives have their man in Windsor-Tecumseh.

The Windsor-Tecumseh Progressive Conservative Association nominated local
businessman Mohammad Latif as the Windsor-Tecumseh candidate for the 2018 election. Latif was acclaimed during the association’s annual meeting Saturday afternoon at the WFCU Centre.

“Mohammad is an experienced entrepreneur with deep roots in the Windsor community,” says Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown in a written statement. “A father of two, Mohammad wants a better future for all Ontarians. I have no doubt he’ll be an excellent representative for the people of Windsor-Tecumseh.”

Latif is standing for the seat currently held by Percy Hatfield of the New Democratic Party. The former journalist and Windsor city councillor won the seat in a 2013 by-election. The ruling Ontario Liberals have yet to field a candidate in this riding for 2018.

The Pakistani-born Latif moved to the Windsor area in the 1990s and began a successful textile business, according to his official candidate webpage. He moved his business to the Toronto area in the early 2000s but maintains strong ties to Windsor-Essex. He and his wife, a doctor, have two sons in university, according to the webpage.

The Progressive Conservative party has not represented the region at Queen’s Park since M.C Davies stood up for the riding of Windsor-Walkerville between 1945 and 1959. Since then and through redistricting and name changes, the Liberals and NDP have provided representation.

http://blackburnnews.com/winds.....candidate/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline Mulroney named PC candidate for York-Simcoe

by The Canadian Press
Posted Sep 10, 2017 9:19 pm EDT
Last Updated Sep 10, 2017 at 9:22 pm EDT

Caroline Mulroney speaks after being named as the Ontario Progressive Conservatives nominee for the riding of York-Simcoe in Toronto on Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Caroline Mulroney Campaign

Caroline Mulroney has been named the Progressive Conservative nominee for the riding of York-Simcoe.

Mulroney, vice-president of an investment firm and daughter of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, accepted the nomination at a meeting in the riding on Sunday.

In a speech, she criticized the province’s Liberal government for its controversial minimum wage hike and thanked her parents for teaching her the importance of public service.

York-Simcoe, north of Toronto, has been held by Progressive Conservative Julia Munro since 1995.

Munro has announced that she is retiring, and that she supports Mulroney’s campaign.

Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown congratulated Mulroney on her nomination on Sunday.

“Caroline is a fantastic addition to our modern, inclusive and pragmatic Ontario PC team,” he said in a statement.

“Caroline understands the importance of public service, and I know that she would do a fantastic job filling the shoes of Julia Munro as MPP.”

Mulroney is the vice-president of Toronto-based BloombergSen Investment Partners, and used to work at a venture debt fund. She also co-founded the Shoebox Project for Shelters, which collects and distributes gifts to women who are homeless or at risk.

Ontario’s provincial election will be held in June.

http://toronto.citynews.ca/201.....rk-simcoe/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Smith elected Progressive Conservative candidate for Peterborough-Kawartha riding

By Joelle Kovach

Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:31:30 EDT PM

Candidates from left, winner Dave Smith, Ryan Moore and Derek Andreoli make their way to the podium during the PC Nomination Meeting on Thursday September 14, 2017 at the Evinrude Centre in Peterborough, Ont. CLIFFORD SKARSTEDT/PETERBOROUGH EXAMINER/POSTMEDIA NETWORK

Dave Smith has been elected as the Progressive Conservative candidate for the new Peterborough-Kawartha riding in next year's provincial election.

Smith beat out Ryan Moore and Derek Andreoli at a packed nominated meeting held Thursday night at the Evinrude Centre. About 450 people were there.

Party leader Patrick Brown has a veto over who the riding candidate will be.

Smith seemed elated when the results of the vote were announced at the Evinrude Centre at about 9:30 p.m. Thursday.

"We have seen the last of (Peterborough MPP) Jeff Leal in this riding!" he told the crowd, when he was declared the winner.

He also said he hoped he could count on Moore and Andreoli to help him win the provincial election in October 2018.

"As PCs we are a team - and we will beat the Liberals in the next election," he said.

Smith, 47, is the founder of the Under the Lift Lock hockey tournament.

He also chaired the recent international hockey tournament for special-needs players in Peterborough when the tourney was in danger of cancellation; he stepped up to help save the tournament at the last minute after the original organizers were charged with fraud.

Smith works as a manager of product development for Cardinal Software on Lansdowne St. He and his wife Lorien have a blended family of three children; all three are in university.

Lorien Smith and many family members were at the Evinrude Centre on Thursday night.

"He's passionate - he believes in this," Lorien said of her husband. "He doesn't do anything halfway."

When the candidates gave speeches before the vote, Smith came out from behind the podium and spoke without notes.

He told the crowd that health care is being neglected by the Liberals: he said there have been no new doctors or nurses hired in the province, lately.

He also said the Liberals are instead creating more administrative positions - jobs that pay in excess of $100,000.

"Do you know where else your tax money is going? It's going to subsidize millionaires," he said, telling the crowd that the Liberals are offering a $7,000 rebate on Teslas - electric sportscars that cost $100,000.

It's part of the Liberals' green initiatives, Smith said.

"And how's that green initiative working for you on your hydro bill?" he asked the crowd. "You can help me draw a line in the sand and say, Kathleen Wynne - no more!"

It's still unclear who Smith will run against, in the provincial election.

Although Zach Hatton has said he's interested in the NDP nomination, Leal, the minister of agriculture, food and rural affairs, has not yet said whether he will run again for the Liberals.

In an interview on Thursday, Leal said he's concentrating on his current work and not thinking about the next election. He also said he thinks campaigning should be restricted to the 28 days leading up to an election.

Yet moments after winning the Conservative nomination, Smith said he intends to start campaigning immediately.

"Tomorrow we start on the campaign trail," he said in an interview. "It's never too early."

The Peterborough-Kawartha riding is changing, for the 2018 election: it will include Trent Lakes and North Kawartha townships, which are currently in the Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock riding, but Otonabee-South Monaghan and Asphodel-Norwood townships will shift from the former Peterborough riding to the new Northumberland-Peterborough South riding.

The provincial election is expected to be held in June.

http://www.thepeterboroughexam.....tha-riding
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting city councillor mulling bid for Barrie-Innisfil PC nomination

Devin Scully withdraws to “clear the way” for Sergio Morales

News Sep 12, 2017 by Chris Simon  Barrie Advance|

Sergio Morales

City of Barrie councillor Sergio Morales - File photo

Devin Scully withdrew from the Barrie-Innisfil Progressive Conservative Party nomination race Sept. 12, apparently to “clear the way” for sitting Ward 9 Coun. Sergio Morales.

Scully made the announcement in a social media post Tuesday. In it, he pledges support for Morales “should he decide to enter the race.”

“He’s the only one of the remaining candidates that … has passed the test of actually winning an election,” Scully said in the statement.

Morales has reached out to the party for information on the nomination process. He’ll make a final decision in the coming weeks.

“Whatever decision I make, it will (allow) me to serve residents in the most effective capacity,” he told Simcoe.com.

PC Leader Patrick Brown’s former special assistant Shawn Bubel and The Butcher Shop owner Lawrence Vindum are officially running for the nomination.

https://www.simcoe.com/news-story/7551496-sitting-city-councillor-mulling-bid-for-barrie-innisfil-pc-nomination/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Li seeks Markham-Unionville nomination for Ontario PC Party

News Sep 13, 2017 by Ali Raza  Markham Economist & Sun|

Markham regional Coun. Joe Li will seek the Markham-Unionville nomination.

Li made the announcement on Sept. 12 in a press release, but will make his official announcement on Sept. 13 at a lunch reception.

After seven years as Markham regional councillor with the Regional Municipality of York, Li is now seeking to grab the nomination for the Markham-Unionville riding for the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party.

According to his press release, Li has much experience having saved taxpayers’ dollars, introducing transparency policies, introducing sustainable waste management technologies in Markham, bringing together community groups and forging international partnerships between Markham and municipalities in Sweden, India and China.

Li will make his official announcement at a lunch reception on Sept. 13 at Golden Palace Banquet Hall at 11 a.m. The hall is on First Markham Place, 3225 Hwy. 7 East in Markham

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/7552078-joe-li-seeks-markham-unionville-nomination-for-ontario-pc-party/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambridge provincial PC nomination race reopens after 'misunderstanding'

New candidates can file papers to become PC candidate for Cambridge in 2018 provincial election

By Kate Bueckert, CBC News Posted: Sep 22, 2017 3:43 PM ET| Last Updated: Sep 24, 2017 10:19 AM ET

Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown (centre) attended a round table session on the province's opioid crisis in August in Cambridge. The party's president, Rick Dykstra, says a nomination meeting in Cambridge that was set for Oct. 4 has been cancelled and will be rescheduled.

After a "misunderstanding" about a Progressive Conservative nomination meeting in Cambridge, the race to be the candidate in the next provincial election is open once again.

Party president Rick Dykstra said the current candidates can continue to sell memberships and "if there are additional candidates who wish to run, they can also now file with the party."

There was some confusion over the nomination meeting after local riding officials planned to hold the meeting sometime in November - with November 4 being the suggested date. Then on Sept. 15, the party's executive announced the meeting would instead be Oct. 4 and anyone wishing to run had to have their paperwork in by Sept. 19.

Nomination meeting cancelled

Local riding member Jim Karahalios, who set up the group Take Back Our PC Party, said the party was "flat out breaking the rules" when it comes to setting up nomination meetings.

Karahalio said that the party cannot interfere with a local riding association's plans – including setting up a nomination meeting – until after Oct. 1, 2017, according to the rules on the party's website.

On Thursday, Dykstra called it a "misunderstanding."

Rob Leone, the former MPP for Cambridge and the riding association's president, declined an interview Friday, but said in a statement there were concerns about the party's motives.

"Local members became concerned that the party was prepared to parachute a candidate in to the riding against the wishes of the local association. This was not based on fact," Leone said.

"Rather it was based on the dual perception that some candidates do not live in the riding and various media reports of irregular practices in other PC nomination races across the province."

Leone said the riding association raised concerns with the party.

"We are very pleased to report that [PC Leader] Patrick Brown and his team at party headquarters listened to the grassroots of the party," Leone wrote.

New candidates still welcome

On Friday, Dykstra said the riding executive had indicated to the party there were more candidates who wanted to run in Cambridge.

Riding members received an email from the party that read: "At the request of the chair of the provincial nominations committee, the nomination meeting scheduled for Oct. 4, 2017 at the Paragon Banquet Hall at 5:30 p.m. has been cancelled. An e-mail notification will be sent to all current members and notification will be posted on the party website."

Leone said more than 2,000 new members joined the association during the nomination season and he's looking forward to moving on with the nomination process.

"We wish to emphasize that no irregularities or rigging has in fact occurred," Leone wrote. "We look forward to working with the party to find a new, agreeable, and fair date."

Dykstra agreed.

"I anticipate we will see a significant increase in those seeking the nomination in Cambridge," Dykstra said. "This can be nothing less than positive both locally and for our party."

Full statement from Rob Leone, president of the Cambridge PC riding association:

Statement Regarding Cambridge PC Nomination

The October 4th nomination meeting has been canceled. The Cambridge Association preferred a date in early November, but the PC Party had scheduled the meeting a month in advance. When this happened, local members became concerned that the Party was prepared to parachute a candidate in to the riding against the wishes of the local association. This was not based on fact. Rather it was based on the dual perception that some candidates do not live in the riding and various media reports of irregular practices in other PC nomination races across the province.

The Cambridge Association formally raised these concerns with the Party this week. Our view is that the only way to avoid the negative perception was to adhere to the established rules. We are very pleased to report that Patrick Brown and his team at Party Headquarters listened to the grassroots of the party. We wish to thank Executive Director Bob Stanley and President Rick Dykstra for their courage in making the difficult decision to call for a new nomination date.

We wish to emphasize that no irregularities or rigging has in fact occurred. We are proud to have welcomed over 2000 new members to our Association during this nomination season. We move forward with renewed confidence that the winner of the Cambridge nomination will be well positioned to win the seat back in 2018.

We look forward to working with the Party to find a new, agreeable, and fair date.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4302980
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamilton Mountain Coun. Donna Skelly to be acclaimed as Flamborough-Glanbrook provincial Tory candidate

News Sep 25, 2017 by Kevin Werner  Hamilton Mountain News|

Donna Skelly

Donna Skelly, Ward 7 councillor, Sept. 7, 2016 - file photo by Gord Bowes

The Flamborough-Glanbrook Progressive Conservative riding association is set to acclaim Hamilton Coun. Donna Skelly as its candidate for the 2018 provincial election,

Skelly's move comes despite her initial promise to residents she would not seek higher political office.

In a Sept. 25 statement, Skelly, who won a byelection for Ward 7 in March 2016, said she is running for the nomination to fight against “skyrocketing” hydro rates and “job-killing” regulations, as well as cut taxes and reduce Ontario’s debt.

In a Mountain News interview shortly after being sworn into municipal office, Skelly stated her municipal win was “not a stepping stone” to higher political office and that she had given up her membership in the Progressive Conservative party.

Donna Skelly seeking provincial office again

Skelly twice stood as the Tory candidate in Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale - in 2011 and 2014 - and failed to dislodge Liberal MPP Ted McMeekin.

Skelly’s public attitude about seeking higher office changed when she stated in an August email in answer to a question if she was considering the Flamborough-Glanbrook provincial Tory nomination: “I’m not going to close any doors at this point.”

Since the spring, Progressive Conservative party officials, including leader Patrick Brown, have been courting Skelly to run in the mostly rural riding. At the same time, there were three others already seeking the nomination.

Flamborough resident Nick Lauwers and Mount Hope resident Dan Sadler had both been selling memberships and knocking on doors throughout the riding.

Another candidate, Albert Marshall, announced he was seeking the nomination last fall, but said he dropped out after he was told by party officials he would not be certified to be the candidate. In May, Marshall issued a statement the Progressive Conservative party “intends to acclaim a person (not in the race) to represent us in Flamborough-Glanbrook. This person to be acclaimed is a woman.”

In August, PC officials told Lauwers and Sadler the party would not certify their candidacy if they won the nomination. They saidthe party was delaying the nomination meeting because it was trying to persuade Skelly to be the Flamborough-Glanbrook candidate.

Recently, party officials sent out notices announcing a nomination meeting for the Flamborough-Glanbrook riding would be held Oct. 5 at Southern Pines Golf Club.

The Liberals have nominated Flamborough Coun. Judi Partridge as their candidate for the riding.

“I will not be given an opportunity to represent you as the PC candidate for Flamborough-Glanbrook,” Lauwers stated on his Facebook page last week. “That opportunity is being given to someone else.”

He stated the nomination will be uncontested.

“To say that I’m disappointed is an understatement,” said Lauwers. “We’ve worked extremely hard to get to this point. That being said, I refuse for it to be a distraction.”

Lauwers said he had sold about 1,500 members since he announced his candidacy about a year ago.

In an interview, Lauwers, who had the backing of Flamborough-Glanbrook MP David Sweet, said he issued the Facebook statement to inform his supporters about the situation.

He said he continues to support the party and wants the Tories to defeat the Liberals in the next election.

“There were a lot of things I wanted to do and the party wants to do,” said Lauwers.

When asked if he would be at the nomination meeting and support Skelly, Lauwers said he was still thinking about it.

The Mountain’s two other councillors, Tom Jackson and Terry Whitehead, have said they are not looking at politics beyond the council chamber.

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-story/7576804-hamilton-mountain-coun-donna-skelly-to-be-acclaimed-as-flamborough-glanbrook-provincial-tory-candidate/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Piccini to run for the Conservatives in Northumberland - Peterborough South in 2018

News Sep 23, 2017 by This Week  Peterborough This Week|

David Piccini

David Piccini (via his Instagram page)

Northumberland-Peterborough South

NORTHUMBERLAND -- David Piccini won the nomination as the Ontario PC candidate for Northumberland-Peterborough South on Saturday. Sept. 23, 2017. - Todd McEwen/Northumberland News

David Piccini was chosen as the Progressive Conservative candidate on Friday (Sept. 23) as one of three challengers to try to unseat incumbent Lou Rinaldi in the new riding of Northumberland - Peterborough South in June 2018.

The Green Party and NDP also have candidates running in the election.

“I congratulate David on his nomination as the Ontario PC candidate for Northumberland-Peterborough South," says party leader Patrick Brown.

“David understands the importance of public service, and has gained unique experience as an analyst at Agriculture Canada as well as working for the Minister of International Trade.

"He currently works as an advisor to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, where he has developed a deep understanding of the challenges the Liberal government’s reckless cuts to health care have had on Ontario families and seniors.

“Having grown up in Port Hope, David has strong roots in the community and I know he will be a strong representative for the residents of Northumberland-Peterborough South."

The provincial riding was realigned to match the new boundaries set for the 2015 federal election, including Peterborough County townships of Otonabee-South Monaghan and Asphodel-Norwood with Northumberland.

“After 14 years in power, life is harder with the Liberals," Brown adds. "Ontario families are working harder, paying more, and getting less. It’s time for a change. Only the Ontario PC Party will make sure hardworking Ontario families pay less and get ahead.

“In Northumberland-Peterborough South and across the province, the Ontario PC Party will continue to work hard for a better future. I look forward to working with David as we share our message of change for the better.”

https://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/7573386-david-piccini-to-run-for-the-conservatives-in-northumberland-peterborough-south-in-2018/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business owner Esther Pauls wins Hamilton Mountain Tory provincial nomination race

News 11:36 PM by Kevin Werner  Hamilton Mountain News|

Hamilton Mountain provincial Tory candidate Esther Pauls

Hamilton business owner Esther Pauls (left) won the Hamilton Mountain provincial Tory nomination race against Sarah Warry-Poljanski (right) at Michelangelo Banquet Hall Sept. 25. - By Kevin Werner, HCN

For the first time in its history, the Hamilton Mountain provincial Tory riding association has selected a woman to be its candidate.

Mountain resident Esther Pauls, co-owner of the Runners Den in Westdale and a mother of four boys, defeated hydro activist Sarah Warry-Poljanski to become the Tory candidate on Monday, Sept. 25.

“I’m going to win,” said Pauls during her speech and in an interview after securing the nomination at Michelangelo Banquet Hall.

The provincial election is to be held in June.

“I’m going to work hard," said Pauls. "I have lots of energy. I will raise money. I’m going to do the things I need to do.”

When asked if being a woman will help her in the provincial election, Pauls quickly responded: “Of course not.”

Mountain resident Warry-Poljanski, 34, congratulated Pauls on her victory and said the focus for the party now is to defeat the Liberals next June.

Pauls received a boost in her nomination campaign when Allan Miles dropped out of the race and urged his supporters to back the small business operator.

Pauls is attempting to become the first Progressive Conservative MPP since Trevor Pettit took the riding in 1995. He was defeated in 1999 by Liberal Maria Bountrogianni.

Since 1977, when the association nominated John Smith, the Hamilton Mountain provincial Tories had nominated only men to carry their political banner into an election race. In 2014, the Tory candidate was Albert Marshall, while in 2011 it was Geordie Elms.

This is Pauls' first venture into politics, although she has campaigned on behalf of Bountrogianni and mayors Bob Bratina and Fred Eisenberger.

She said her lack of experience should be seen as an asset by a public that seems to be tiring of experienced politicians.

“I will never lie,” she said. “I promise I will only tell the truth.”

Pauls will be facing off against incumbent NDP MPP Monique Taylor. The Liberals have yet to nominate a candidate.

“We need a voice on Hamilton Mountain,” said Pauls, 63. “There is no voice there.”

The Hamilton Mountain Tory nomination meeting was the first held locally since the Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas nomination event in the past spring, when the voting process came under severe criticism from two of the candidates who lost to winner Ben Levitt. Vikram Singh, who finished second, appealed the decision to the party. When party officials rejected the appeal, Singh took his case to court where it is still pending. A hearing has been put over until December.

Rick Dykstra, who oversaw the HWAD nomination meet, was at the Hamilton Mountain event. He called the voting process “very good” and congratulated Mountain officials for a well-organized event.

After a series of controversial nomination meetings across the province, Tory leader Patrick Brown hired the private-sector auditors PwC to oversee the voting process.

Dykstra said there was “very few spoiled ballots” and no questions about the voting process.

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-story/7576930-business-owner-esther-pauls-wins-hamilton-mountain-tory-provincial-nomination-race/

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  

Jump to: