Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Justin Trudeau: The Northern Star Reply with quote

This is how Justin Trudeau expects to win the next election.

I suspect he believes his own press-clippings, and here are some of the most recent ... a compilation from this celebratory article, posing Trudeau as the anti-Trump, published in one of the foremost journals of fake news, The Rolling Stone.

Trigger warning ... if the sub-heading of this article, in italics, induces nausea, you might not want to read on.
Quote:

Justin Trudeau: The North Star
He was raised in jet-set privilege but overcame tragedy to become Canada's prime minister. Is he the free world's best hope?
By Stephen Rodrick

The legislative session is over, and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is about to give his wrap-up press conference. The reporters trudge into the gallery, grumbling, as reporters like to do, about traffic and editors. Someone gives the "10 seconds" signal, and Trudeau strides to the podium. He gives a nod and starts ticking off his accomplishments. The first is self-praise for cutting taxes on the middle class and raising them on the one percent. "We've given nine out of 10 families more money each month to help with the costs of raising their kids," Trudeau says.

It's strange to witness: He speaks in a modulated, indoor voice. His dark hair is a color found in nature. At home, there is a glamorous wife and three photogenic children, still not old enough to warm his seat at next week's G-20 summit or be involved in an espionage scandal.

When Trudeau moves on to his feminist bona fides (women and minorities make up more than half of his Cabinet), he pauses for a moment, but does not lose his train of thought. His words are coherent and will not need to be run through Google Translate when he is done (except if you want to translate his French into English).

He talks about steps taken to deal with the opioid crisis and mentions the country's dropping unemployment rate. He uses the original Clintonian recipe on the crowd: "We're focused on getting people into good careers and helping families get ahead and stay ahead," he says. "But we know there's more hard work in front of us than there is behind us."

Then he gives the press corps a high-five.

"The back and forth between the press and government is essential to any good democracy," he says. "When you're at your best, it reminds us and challenges us to be at ours. So thank you all for your tireless work."

Where are we? Narnia? Coachella recovery tent? 2009? We are in Ottawa, Ontario, a mere 560 miles from Washington, D.C.

And yet, we are half a world away. Join me as we visit a nation led by a man who wore a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy T-shirt on national television, rides a unicycle and welcomed 40,000 Syrian refugees with open arms. [....]
http://www.rollingstone.com/po.....pe-w494098

Trudeau is putting Canada at stake to play a celebrity role in some kind of media epic, full of narratives. Is HE going to be the one to slay Donald Trump? And, as has been the case so far, will Canada pay the price of his vanity?
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw pictures of the rolling stone cover on twitter , it all does seem rather silly for him to be appearing on the cover of that magazine . I'm not really sure why they decided to make that interview a top priority for a sitting PM ?

its clear he is making the most of his celebrity status and likes the camera
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding? RCO, you have a serious interest in Canadian politics, but most people prefer to keep it out of their minds. They are also serious people, but not about politics. And then there's a proportion of the population that picks a candidate on the basis of fashion. It's that part of the population that are most affected by this.

Who are they? They are the low-information voters who are highly involved in the pop culture, and other kinds of media output. The point is -- Trudeau is making himself a character in the pop-culture universe, and Scheer is nowhere to be found.

The narrative for Trudeau is in the italics ... the rich kid who overcame adversity (???) to become the free world's best hope! It's too corny for us, but for those who watch movies in which the heroes wear capes, it's plausible. He's St. George on a mission to kill the dragon, Donald Trump.

For a large proportion of millennials and older groups as well, particularly women, this is a very gratifying hero to get behind. It acts like a filter. They will like him, and they will explain away his mistakes or faults until they can no longer suspend disbelief.

If you don't know or care about Justin Beiber, you probably don't interact much with these people, but they are a large part of the electorate. Conservatives ought to be doing something to counter this. It really is a part of Justin's campaign.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the cover of the Rolling Stone

Postmedia Network

First posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 05:35 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 09:00 PM EDT

Justin Trudeau Rolling Stone
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is seen on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine on sale this Friday. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau graces the cover of the latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine accompanied by a provocative headline: "Why Can't He Be Our President?" THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Rolling Stone

As Justin Trudeau has been prime minister for almost 21 months, we suggest it’s past time for him to get down to work.

Yes, it’s all fun and games when some media are forever gushing over you -- see the latest Rolling Stone cover story on Trudeau, whom it dubs Canada’s “North Star” -- but seriously, enough.

Trudeau’s participation in the Rolling Stone cover story is nothing new or surprising.

That said, it’s somewhat ironic coming in the wake of Liberals from Trudeau Principal Secretary Gerald Butts to Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna criticizing Conservatives for complaining about Trudeau’s $10.5 million settlement with Omar Khadr in the U.S. media.

The Liberals argue Conservatives shouldn’t have raised a domestic Canadian issue in the American press.

As if the murder of an American soldier and the wounding of another by a Canadian citizen convicted of terrorism in a U.S. military court is purely a “domestic” Canadian issue.

Point is, all politicians try to use the media to their advantage, so enough, already.

Meanwhile, critical government files are languishing.

Here are five Trudeau should be working on.

First, NAFTA negotiations with the U.S., where Canadian jobs and prosperity are at stake and where, so far, the federal government’s response seems disorganized and mired in platitudes.

Second, doing right by Canada’s wounded and disabled war veterans in fulfilling his election promise regarding military pensions, especially in light of his $10.5 million settlement with, and apology to, Khadr.

Third, explaining to taxpayers when he plans to return Canada to balanced budgets, which he promised to do by 2019-2020 in the 2015 election, while his government is now projecting endless annual deficits -- far higher than the “modest” ones he promised -- with no end in sight.

Fourth, delivering on the small business tax cut he promised during the election, seeing how small businesses provide most of the new jobs in Canada.

Fifth, Trudeau’s inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls appears to be in chaos with high level resignations and the families of victims urging the prime minister to intervene.

After that, there’s plenty of other files for Trudeau to get busy on, assuming he can stop tear himself away from the selfies and photobombs.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....ling-stone
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article makes a number of good points about the Trudeau record. Anyone who's watching knows that this government is failing.

But this story isn't aimed at those people.

How do you suppose you go about getting your rock singer, environmental crusader, Black Lives Matter activist or political leader on the cover of 'The Rolling Stone?

Ah, yes, we now enter the dark regions pf "public relations", in which magic is performed by apparatchiks, bringing willing partners together in the thicket of bureaucracy. Allied with lobbyists, they can make all the difference. Just to be able to identify and contact the right people is a problem, let alone get them to assign a writer to the story. It's all negotiated, from the pre-steps to the content of the interview. Put differently, one way or another you buy yourself onto the cover of The Rolling Stone.

(For those who do not know how good The Rolling Stone is at fact-checking ... http://www.rollingstone.com/cu.....g-20150405 This devastating story was a bit of fiction tarted up as journalism, very much like the article on Justin, a kind of product placement serving the ideological needs of feminism. The Rolling Stone is as fake news as you can get!)

This is the Liberal brand promoting itself through fake journalism. What element of hardship has Justin ever faced? What adversity has he overcome? It's fiction parading as fact. In fact, it is laughable. A guy who needs two nannies ... putting himself over as 'facing hardship'? Where is the Air Farce when you need them? Perha;s we can make do with

They are trying to make Justin into more of a celebrity than he already is. I think they see it as buying extra protection. They'd rather have 'fans' than voters -- voters can be fickle.

For us, to have a PM who is actively rallying opposition to Trump domestically in the USA is the height of folly. And sensible Canadians know it.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Are you kidding? RCO, you have a serious interest in Canadian politics, but most people prefer to keep it out of their minds. They are also serious people, but not about politics. And then there's a proportion of the population that picks a candidate on the basis of fashion. It's that part of the population that are most affected by this.

Who are they? They are the low-information voters who are highly involved in the pop culture, and other kinds of media output. The point is -- Trudeau is making himself a character in the pop-culture universe, and Scheer is nowhere to be found.

The narrative for Trudeau is in the italics ... the rich kid who overcame adversity (???) to become the free world's best hope! It's too corny for us, but for those who watch movies in which the heroes wear capes, it's plausible. He's St. George on a mission to kill the dragon, Donald Trump.

For a large proportion of millennials and older groups as well, particularly women, this is a very gratifying hero to get behind. It acts like a filter. They will like him, and they will explain away his mistakes or faults until they can no longer suspend disbelief.

If you don't know or care about Justin Beiber, you probably don't interact much with these people, but they are a large part of the electorate. Conservatives ought to be doing something to counter this. It really is a part of Justin's campaign.

sorry I got way too busy last week to reply .

I agree with what your saying , that Trudeau is trying to become some sort of pop culture figure and somehow an alternative to Donald Trump .

I actually do see a lot of young people around here during the summer , I rarely hear them talking about politics . I don't know how much love there is or isn't for Trudeau among that crowd . but I agree most of them would know very little about Scheer at this point

maybe I'm being optimistic but I feel trudeau can be beat or at least brought down to reality ( a minority government ) , I really don't see anything at all about this government that is impressive . its really a very dull and unimpressive government being lead by celebrity leader . if trudeau wasn't leading the party , there would be no reason for anyone to get excited about this government at all . all its doing is trying to undo what ever harper did and find ways to waste our tax dollars

if the conservatives can pull things together and run the kind of big budget high profile campaigns they ran in 2006 - 2011 . the liberals are going to get a run for there money . unless of course quebec goes heavily liberal much more than years past
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of young people you blissfully ignorant about politics, but I contend that -- to the extent that the educational system had their hands on them -- they are pre-loaded with a lot of idealism and knowledge of the dogwhistle signals that denote political virtue and evil. It means almost every young person will vote to the left until they become disenchanted. I think it's a huge advantage the left has.

The young people you see are probably like that. I don't mean this is the whole story, just a significant part of it. They don't like politics.

Trudeau wins because he draws new people into politics. His specialty is the low-information voter. Most of these new participants in politics don't know any more about it than they used to -- they are just fans of a celebrity, not converts to a party. When they vote, they might just as well be keeping their fave on the Island ... it probably has nothing to do with politics!

I would hope there'd be some howlers ignited over the idea that this feckless trust fund beneficiary ever overcame adversity. It ought to examined with great comic delight.
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see -- you think you're voting for the last, best hope for cvility and good manners, protectinhg them against the onslaught of the ruffian Trump ... who is, oh so crass ... makes his own money! That's the face the Liberal Party presents to the public.

Meanwhile, this is the reality.
Quote:

This lawyer gave the Liberals more than $1,800 — then he became a judge

By ALEX BALLINGALLOttawa Bureau
Tues., Aug. 1, 2017
OTTAWA—A Toronto lawyer who was recently appointed a Superior Court judge donated more than $1,800 to the governing federal Liberal party in the months before he was named to the bench, a string of giving that included the purchase of a ticket to fundraising dinner.

Between March 2016 and March 2017, Andrew Sanfilippo gave $1,878.87 to the Liberal party. The founding partner at the downtown law firm O’Donnell, Robertson & Sanfilippo became a judge in late June and the government announced his appointment July 18.

According to online records from Elections Canada that go back to 2006, Sanfilippo’s first political contribution was $478.87 on March 31, 2016. He acknowledged in a statement through a Superior Court spokesperson that this was for a Liberal fundraising dinner — the same price as tickets for a dinner with Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould that was hosted by the Torys LLP law firm on April 7, 2016.

The fundraiser drew controversy at the time, with Conservative MPs decrying how the minister was soliciting partisan money from stakeholders in her portfolio. Ottawa’s ethics commissioner Mary Dawson highlighted the event in her 2016 annual report and determined that while it raised “questions about the appropriateness of the way the fundraisers were organized,” it did not break Parliament’s ethics rules.

It is not unusual for judicial appointees to have made political donations, nor does it break any rules.

In his statement through the court spokesperson, Sanfilippo stated that he did not actually attend the fundraising dinner, and that he bought the ticket after being solicited by a legal colleague.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/08/01/this-lawyer-gave-the-liberals-more-than-1800-then-he-became-a-judge.html

For the record, I think this is a preposterous charge. (If they were selling judgeships, the price would be higher.) But it does mark a 'relaxation' of standards, doesn't it? I think what it really says is addressed to the pool of young and ambitious lawyers -- if you want to become a judge, start donating ... The message is that access costs money.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is no surprise that Trudeau is getting the star treatment around the world. The rest of earth can see the shit show that is south of us , the absolute carnival show that is the White House.

People all over the world look at N Am and see such a contrast that it gets written up.

Add in photogenic good looks, a good looking family and kids, an economy that is doing very well and it stands to reason the coverage he gets.

One country going one way....refugee wise, decriminalization of drugs, healthy economy, a vast country without serious crime issues, no inner city dumps , Cops that by and large just do thier jobs without killing every day.

The other?

Not so much.

Does anyone think the PMO set this up, asked for Rolling Stone to come interview the PM?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:

Does anyone think the PMO set this up, asked for Rolling Stone to come interview the PM?

I don't believe for a second that a call came in from Rolling Stone that simply blindsided the PMO;

However I don't think it was arranged by the PMO.
There was a mutual interest from both parties and I would imagine that this has been in discussion for months before they proceeded.

The timing of the article however is something I would feel fairly confident saying at least had some influence from the PMO, the timing was simply too ideal to be a coincidence.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cosmostein"]
Toronto Centre wrote:

The timing of the article however is something I would feel fairly confident saying at least had some influence from the PMO, the timing was simply too ideal to be a coincidence.

I would concur.

Apparently (IIRC) they , the PMO , had final approval on the copy. I imagine that too is universal for someone in that position
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys kidding? Trudeau is like a "product placement" in a movie. The whole thing is negotiated, from start to finish. Will he get the cover? What questions will he agree to be asked? It's all negotiated.

What does it matter who makes the first inquiry? Who even knows when and how it came to be discussed? None of us, that's for sure.

His management team chose one of the premier publishers of fake news. How tone-deaf is that?

And how about the narrative, TC? How about that trust-fund baby overcome adversity bit??? Who else but fake news would run with that when it's becoming clearer and clearer with every day that his government is a failure. What adversity did he ever overcome? His brother died in an avalanche, and he hasn't been able to survive with only one nannie ever since?
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Are you guys kidding? Trudeau is like a "product placement" in a movie. The whole thing is negotiated, from start to finish. Will he get the cover? What questions will he agree to be asked? It's all negotiated.

What does it matter who makes the first inquiry? Who even knows when and how it came to be discussed? None of us, that's for sure.

His management team chose one of the premier publishers of fake news. How tone-deaf is that?

And how about the narrative, TC? How about that trust-fund baby overcome adversity bit??? Who else but fake news would run with that when it's becoming clearer and clearer with every day that his government is a failure. What adversity did he ever overcome? His brother died in an avalanche, and he hasn't been able to survive with only one nannie ever since?

I find the whole thing weird to be honest . I can't ever recall any Canadian politician being on the cover of the rolling stone . someone would need to research that fact but I'd have to assume trudeau is the first ?

trudeau is clearly being used by the liberals for his "image " they've made him front and centre . when in reality its mostly backroom people and bureaucrats running the show in Ottawa . running a government that really isn't that impressive and hasn't accomplished a whole lot . other than spending us into debt , if trudeau wasn't front and centre would women and young people be at all excited about this government ? there'd be like zero reason for them to even care if he wasn't around
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

I don't disagree with that at all;
He was a commodity that Rolling Stone likely wanted and likely had a tremendous amount of negotiating power during the entire process.

The timing of the article benefited the PM and the "get" benefited the publication.

Last edited by cosmostein on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Interesting take.
Quote:

Do this part also refer to the first part?

All I know from reading is that the PMO had control of the end product.
Quote:

Huh?
This 'fake news' meme you righties (ok some of you) is rather funny.
The magazine is ranked 47th in circulation. Premier? Now thats funny too.
Quote:

And how about the narrative, TC? How about that trust-fund baby overcome adversity bit???

Who are we to say what is trauma to someone? Losing a brother? Losing a mother (for a long period of his life) Losing his father ? We all sort of go through these things and some overcome, some dont.
Quote:
Who else but fake news would run with that when it's becoming clearer and clearer with every day that his government is a failure.

Hows that economy doing there Sunshine? Is it first in the G20?

Why yes it is.

Hows his popularity coming along? Just fine.

Are you mad that the last guy, the drop out who became a mailboy where daddy worked was such a dud across the world?

I really shouldnt stoop to your level but apparently you never learn.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: