Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Ontario Lib mpp Monte Kwinter to retire Reply with quote

( this has been speculated for years but he finally decided its time to move on , I don't believe he has actually been in the legislature on a regular basis for some time )

Ontario’s oldest MPP Monte Kwinter says he’s calling it quits

Kwinter, 86, and a former minister in the governments of Dalton McGuinty and David Peterson, is the oldest MPP in Ontario history.

Liberal MPP Monte Kwinter speaks during a provincial trade mission to Israel in May 2016. On July 20, 2017 Kwinter, at 86 the oldest MPP in Ontario history, announced he would not be seeking re-election in York-Centre.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Thu., July 20, 2017

The oldest MPP in Ontario history is finally retiring.

Monte Kwinter, 86, announced Thursday he will not seek re-election in York Centre next year.

“It has been a distinct honour to serve my community in the Legislature over the past 32 years,” said Kwinter, a former minister in the governments of Dalton McGuinty and David Peterson.

“I am proud of what we accomplished during that time in my riding, and it has been a privilege to serve under three Liberal premiers,” he said.

Kwinter, whose use of a personal mobility scooter led to the construction of accessibility ramps in the legislative chamber, said he remains “as passionate about my work as ever and am proud of the progressive policies this government is enacting to build Ontario up.”

But the veteran MPP, who battled a case of shingles recently that left him hospitalized for months, conceded it is time to turn over the reins to a new generation.

Premier Kathleen Wynne hailed Kwinter for his many decades of service.

“Monte’s representation for his constituency, for the Jewish community, and his stalwart example to MPPs of all stripes is a testament to his character,” said Wynne.

“I know he will retire as a beloved member of the Legislature and a mentor to many,” she said, noting he is “one of the most naturally curious people I have ever met.”

“His genuine interest in others, endless drive to make life better in Ontario and willingness to share his experiences and insights make him a brilliant mentor and an outstanding representative for the people of York Centre.”

First elected under Peterson in 1985, he held numerous posts at Queen’s Park, including solicitor general.

In 2013, he surpassed late Progressive Conservative MPP Addison Alexander MacKenzie, in office from 1945 until 1967, as the oldest provincial parliamentarian.

A scion of the meat-packing family that produced Kwinter’s gourmet hot dogs — once a Toronto delicacy — he has always been a popular fixture at Queen’s Park.

Like many MPPs, Conservative Lisa MacLeod (Nepean-Carleton) took to Twitter to wish him well.

“Best wishes @montekwinter. My fondest memory is when you left cabinet you invited young me up to your incredible office for a tour. xo,” tweeted MacLeod.

Former Tory cabinet minister Frank Klees praised Kwinter as “a statesman and friend.”

NDP House Leader Gilles Bisson said he hopes he “enjoys a long retirement filled with family and friends.”

“While we didn’t see eye to eye with Mr. Kwinter on the direction his Liberal party is taking the province, I respect Monte’s long service to his constituents and thank him for his many years of public service,” said Bisson.

The Liberals said a nomination meeting in Kwinter’s Toronto riding has yet to be scheduled.

Last week, Mario Sergio, who represents neighbouring York West, said he would not be running in the June 7, 2018 election.

Sergio, a 22-year veteran who will turn 77 next week, was Wynne’s minister for seniors before stepping down from cabinet last year.

“It has been an amazing experience,” he said of his life in politics.

“I will cherish recollecting the many memorable events and the pleasure to have known thousands of beautiful people. I want to say a big ‘thank you’ to the hundreds of volunteers making every election a memorable one.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/07/20/ontario-mpp-monte-kwinter-says-hes-calling-it-quits.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

York Centre MPP Monte Kwinter not seeking re-election in 2018

Kwinter, 86, is the oldest MPP in Ontario history

News Jul 20, 2017 by Fannie Sunshine  North York Mirror|

Monte Kwinter

York Centre MPP Monte Kwinter will not seek re-election in 2018.

York Centre MPP Monte Kwinter, who is the oldest MPP in Ontario history, will not seek re-election in 2018, he announced Thursday, July 20.

Kwinter, 86, will retire after the June provincial election next year.

“It has been a distinct honour to serve my community in the Legislature over the past thirty-two years,” Kwinter said in a statement. “I am proud of what we accomplished during that time in my riding, and it has been a privilege to serve under three Liberal premiers.”

Kwinter was first elected to the Legislature in 1985, serving as minister of consumer and commercial relations, minister of financial institutions and minister of industry, trade and technology in the government of former premier David Peterson. Under former premier Dalton McGuinty, Kwinter served as minister of community safety and correctional services and solicitor general and then as chair of the Ontario Investment Trade Advisory Council. Under the current provincial government, he initially served as parliamentary assistant to the minister of citizenship and immigration. Kwinter presently serves as parliamentary assistant to the minister of international trade and chair of the Ontario Investment Trade Advisory Council.

“I remain as passionate about my work as ever and am proud of the progressive policies this government is enacting to build Ontario up,” Kwinter said, adding “the time has come to let the next generation serve, and I look forward to offering my support to our future York Centre Liberal MPP.”

In a statement, Wynne said, “Monte’s representation for his constituency, for the Jewish community, and his stalwart example to MPPs of all stripes is a testament to his character. I know he will retire as a beloved member of the Legislature and a mentor to many.”

A constituency office employee of Kwinter said the MPP would not be commenting further, and confirmed he will stay on as MPP for York Centre until the next election.

Prior to public life, Kwinter operated a commercial real estate firm. He has also been vice-president of the Ontario College of Art, editorial director of a publishing firm, and an industrial designer.

A nomination date for the riding will be announced at a later date.

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/7463187-york-centre-mpp-monte-kwinter-not-seeking-re-election-in-2018/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto MPP Monte Kwinter, 86, won't seek re-election

The Canadian Press

First posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 01:11 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, July 20, 2017 01:14 PM EDT

TORONTO - Ontario’s oldest sitting MPP has announced he will not seek re-election in 2018.

Monte Kwinter, 86, has represented the Liberal Party in York Centre for the past 32 years.

Kwinter, who has served in multiple cabinet positions, says it’s been a privilege to serve his community for such a long time.

Premier Kathleen Wynne called Kwinter a stalwart example to MPP’s of all stripes, and an important representative for his constituency and the Jewish community.

She also applauded Kwinter on leading Ontario to be the first provincial or state government to establish a permanent trade relation in India in the 1980s.

Kwinter says the time has come for the next generation to serve, but that he’s happy to offer his support to the next future York Centre MPP.

Kwinter was re-elected eight consecutive times, and served under three different Liberal premiers.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....e-election

Jump to: