Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( another former cpc mp has won a provincial nomination , Parm Gill who had been an mp for Brampton has won the nomination in nearby Milton )

UPDATE: Gill wins provincial PC nomination in Milton

News Jun 19, 2017 by Melanie Hennessey  Milton Canadian Champion|

Gill wins provincial PC nomination in Milton

Former Brampton MP Parm Gill, left, won the Milton PC nomination June 18. He went up against Milton Councillor Mike Cluett, right. - Supplied photos

A former Brampton MP is the new face of the Ontario PC Party in Milton.

Parm Gill, who served federally in the neighbouring municipality from 2011 to 2015, won the local PC nomination at a meeting held Sunday afternoon (June 18) at Thompson Memorial Arena.

Gill went up against Milton Coun. Mike Cluett for the position and took home 429 votes, while 114 ballots were cast in the local councillor's favour.

In a Facebook post Sunday evening, Gill thanked everyone for their support.

“I'm honoured to be nominated as your PC candidate in Milton,” he said. “This was just the first step and real hard work begins now to turn Milton blue in the next provincial election.”

He went on to extend his gratitude to Cluett and his team for running a professional campaign.

Following the nomination, Gill received well wishes via Twitter from Milton MP Lisa Raitt.

"Congratulations to Parm Gill, the new PC candidate in the riding of Milton. I look forward to supporting you in your campaign!" she said.

PC Leader Patrick Brown also released a statement on Monday congratulating the newly-chosen candidate.

“Parm brings a wealth of experience to our PC team. He is the former Member of Parliament for Brampton-Springdale, and has held the roles of Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Veterans Affairs and to the Minister of International Trade," Brown said. "I had the honour of working alongside Parm in Ottawa, and saw first-hand his work ethic and dedication to his constituents. I know he will work tirelessly to ensure Milton families pay less and get ahead."

On Sunday afternoon, Cluett took to social media with a brief statement to thank his supporters and let them know about the nomination outcome.

“Sadly, I didn't win and I'd like to congratulate Parm Gill as he will be the candidate for the PC Party in Milton,” he said.

In speaking with the Champion, Cluett said he, his family and supporters worked hard over the past several months to get the message out about the nomination meeting, which was originally scheduled for November 2016 but later postponed to Sunday, which also happened to be Father's Day.

While the special occasion and people taking vacations may have detracted from the nomination meeting crowd, Cluett said he's not going to use that as an excuse.

"Parm brought more people out than I did. I'm disappointed with the outcome, but that's the way democracy works," he said. "My head is held high. I did my best and I'm going to continue to serve Milton in my capacity as local and regional councillor. I will always speak out for Milton's best interests no matter what position I hold."

While some Milton residents are wondering aloud on Facebook about how a well-known councillor could be beat by someone whose name is relatively unfamiliar in the community, Cluett assured that all votes cast on Sunday were "legit."

He explained that scrutineers were observing the voting process at all tables, and auditing firm PricewaterhouseCoopers was also on hand.

"I have faith in the system set up by Patrick Brown and the PC party," he said.

Words of support for Cluett have also been posted by local residents to the Champion's Facebook page.

"I know you were working really hard to be nominated, but we are selfishly glad that you are still our local town councillor," wrote Paul Milton.

Cluett has served as a local and regional councillor for Milton since 2010.

Gill's tenure as an MP in Brampton proved to be a colourful one, with his time in office including allegations that he distributed misleading information regarding one of his opponents in the last federal election — a claim he has previously denied.

A federal ethics commissioner also found that Gill violated the Conflict of Interest Act when he was a parliamentary secretary by writing letters to the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission in support of two competing applications for a Brampton radio station.

Gill sought re-election in Brampton in 2015, but his bid was unsuccessful.

Currently Milton is represented by Liberal MPP Indira Naidoo-Harris, who also serves as the minister responsible for early years and child care.

The local MPP told the Champion that she intends to put her name forth again in the coming provincial election.

"It is an honour and a privilege to serve the people of Halton. Together, we’ve achieved so much already, but there is always more work to be done," she said. "I am excited to run again and I look forward to publicly announcing my intentions in the coming weeks.”

The next provincial election is slated for June 2018

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/7379505-update-gill-wins-provincial-pc-nomination-in-milton/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the pc's have also selected a candidate for wynne's riding of Don Valley West , somewhat of a long shot but has historically been pc and if wynne's popularity stays low might be a lot closer than years past )

Energy expert Jon Kieran PC candidate in Don Valley West

June 18, 2017

Tweets were rolling in Sunday evening congratulating Jon W. Kieran on his election as the Progressive Conservative candidate to run against Premier Wynne in the riding of Don Valley West in the 2018 general election. Mr. Kieran is a Toronto-based renewable energy consultant and a member of the Canadian Solar Industries Association’s board of directors. Voting for the DVW nomination saw the job contested by three local men. The others were Jeff Silverstein and Dean Baxendale

http://bayview-news.com/2017/0.....west.html/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third Ontario PC riding association abandons ship

“The nomination process and election has been tainted by a blatant breach of the nomination rules,” executive says in resignation letter to Patrick Brown.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Tues., June 27, 2017

Another one bites the dust.

A third Progressive Conservative riding association executive committee has resigned en masse.

The Newmarket-Aurora Provincial Progressive Conservative Association board of directors has quit in protest of the party’s nomination process.

Riding association president Derek Murray informed PC executive director Bob Stanley of the executive’s decision in an email June 15.

Volunteers on the Ottawa West-Nepean board abandoned the party last Friday amid allegations of ballot-stuffing in their May 6 nomination.

The Kanata-Carleton Progressive Conservative riding association stepped down June 11 over ideological differences with Tory Leader Patrick Brown, who is trying to steer the party to the political centre.

In Newmarket-Aurora, activists had formally challenged the controversial April 8 nomination of candidate Charity McGrath Di Paolo.

“The nomination process and election has been tainted by a blatant breach of the nomination rules,” Murray and other executive members said in an April 27 letter to Brown.

They alleged supporters of rival candidates Tom Vegh and Bill Hogg “were physically blocked from approaching or speaking with” Tories being bussed in for the meeting.

But the party rejected their appeal and Brown personally signed off on all 64 nominated Tory candidates — after hiring private-sector auditors PwC to oversee all selection meetings moving forward.

The 14 Newmarket-Aurora volunteers cited “the blatant disregard for the democratic rights of the people of this riding to choose their local candidate in a fair, open and transparent process” in their letter of resignation.

Warning the same thing “is being allowed to openly occur across numerous other ridings,” they said they could no longer serve the party locally.

“In the circumstances and environment, it has become impossible to carry out in good conscience that fiduciary responsibility.”

Murray, who was riding president for eight years and a volunteer for nearly two decades, said Tuesday the executive board was “disillusioned and annoyed” by what happened in Newmarket-Aurora.

“They’ve got nothing if they don’t have volunteers. We’re the people who do the work and we don’t get paid for it,” said the life-long Tory.

Still, he vowed to stay involved with the party by helping the campaign of Tory candidate Michael Parsa in the newly created riding of Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill, next door to Newmarket-Aurora.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/06/27/third-ontario-pc-riding-association-abandons-ship.html
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario PCs choose candidate in Kanata-Carleton

Dr. Merrilee Fullerton likely to face former PC MPP Jack MacLaren

BJ Siekierski

Wednesday, June 28th, 2017

Dr. Merrilee Fullerton Photo: votemerrileefullerton.ca

BJ Siekierski

The Ontario Progressive Conservatives have chosen their candidate in the new riding of Kanata-Carleton, likely setting up a clash in 2018 with former PC MPP Jack MacLaren who has committed to run for the nascent Trillium Party of Ontario.

PC Leader Patrick Brown congratulated Dr. Merrilee Fullerton in statement released Wednesday.

“I congratulate Merrilee on her nomination as the Ontario PC candidate for Kanata-Carleton. A family physician, Merrilee brings a unique perspective to our Ontario PC team. Merrilee has been active in medical associations and local health care organizations, including advisory roles with both the Ontario Medical Association and Canadian Medical Association, and membership on the City of Ottawa Board of Health and the local LHIN,” Brown said.

“As a result Merrilee knows firsthand the challenges the Liberal government’s reckless cuts to health care have had on patients. A lifelong resident of Kanata, I know Merrilee will work tirelessly to ensure Ottawa families pay less and get ahead.”

Exactly one month ago, MacLaren was booted from the PC caucus (or quit, according to him) after CFRA Radio in Ottawa posted a 2012 video of him disparaging the use of French in Eastern Ontario.

He continues to represent Carleton-Mississippi Mills, which will become the less rural riding of Kanata-Carleton in the 2018 provincial election.

MacLaren claimed that, rather being kicked out, he’d quit the party after months of deliberation and discussion with his constituents.

The video, however, was hardly the gaffe-prone MPP’s first brush with controversy.

At a March 2016 cancer fundraising event, MacLaren made a crude joke about federal Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon and her husband. He underwent sensitivity training at Brown’s request as a result.

Not long after, the Ottawa Citizen‘s David Reevely discovered MacLaren was using fake testimonials on his website.

“Each time Jack MacLaren is caught making disparaging or insensitive remarks about others he asks for forgiveness and a second chance. And a third chance. And a fourth,” Brown said in a statement announcing MacLaren’s expulsion in May.

“And each and every time, he has disappointed those who have put their trust in him.”

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/06/28/ontario-pcs-choose-candidate-in-kanata-carleton/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former NHL tough guy Troy Crowder to be PC’s man in Sudbury

Candidate to be acclaimed at Thursday nomination meeting
192 shares
21 h by: Sudbury.com Staff

280617_troy_crowderSized

Former NHLer Troy Crowder will be officially acclaimed as the Ontario PC candidate for the Sudbury riding at an event on Thursday evening. (Supplied)

Where once he threw fists in defence of his NHL teammates, Troy Crowder will soon be throwing rhetorical punches as the Ontario PC Party’s candidate in the Sudbury riding.

The former NHL enforcer, who spent seven seasons in the NHL, is expected to be acclaimed at the Sudbury PC Ontario Riding Association nomination meeting tomorrow night at the Holiday Inn. MPPs Vic Fedeli and Ross Romano are expected to be on hand as guest speakers.

Crowder spent seven seasons playing for the New Jersey Devils, Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks. During that time, he traded fists with some of the sport’s most iconic goons: Stu Grimson, John Kordic, Tie Domi. And let’s not forget his battles with Bob Probert.

Advertisement

Crowder did something surprising after his retirement. He went to his home in Walden and became an inventor, fashioning and then patenting the 55 Flex, an attachment that helps tailor a skate’s fit to the skater’s feet. He even went on Dragon’s Den (although the segment didn’t air, and the Dragon’s turned him down).

Now, the Northern Ontario native is turning his inventive brain and tough-guy attitude to politics.

The nomination meeting is a private event.

PC Leader Patrick Brown issued a statement about Crowder’s candidacy and couldn’t resist throwing in a pun.

“For far too long Sudbury and the North has been ignored by the Wynne Liberals. They always find a way to leave the hardworking northern families paying more and getting less,” he said. “Troy is a fighter and I know he will be a strong voice for Sudbury families and taxpayers.”

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/former-nhl-tough-guy-troy-crowder-to-be-pcs-man-in-sudbury-656294
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Election 2018: Former Ottawa councillor acclaimed as provincial PC candidate in Ottawa South

News Jun 29, 2017 by Erin McCracken 

A former city councillor has entered the provincial election race to vie for the Ottawa South seat at Queen’s Park.

Karin Howard is a well-known figure in the area, specifically River Ward, which she once represented before Ottawa’s amalgamation.

The Revelstoke resident, who has lived in Ottawa for 38 years, was acclaimed as the Ottawa South Progressive Conservative candidate at an Ottawa South PC Riding Association nomination meeting at the Jim Durrell Recreation Centre in Herongate on June 25.

Howard did not make the decision to seek the candidacy lightly, though it had been percolating for years.

“It’s been coming on for a long, long, long time,” she said in an interview with Metroland Media. “When you’re involved in your community association, like I was, you start becoming aware of issues and you become aware of how government treats people at the grassroots level.”

“And then you start lobbying for change,” said Howard, 62. “You see who listens, who doesn’t listen and why.”

It is essential that provincial and federal representatives tune in to local issues and remain connected to community associations, which have their ears to the ground, said Howard.

Currently, that is not happening, reason why she said she is the best candidate for the job. The seat is currently held by Ottawa South Liberal MPP John Fraser, who plans to seek re-election. The riding has been held by the Liberals for several years.

Previous PC candidate Matt Young unsuccessfully attempted to defeat Fraser twice, and announced earlier this year he would not seek the nomination for a third time.

Hospital wait times, community care funding, light-rail transit and education are largely all provincial responsibilities — and provincial representatives must be at the discussion table to gauge needs and advocate for residents.

“If you’re the rep, you have to be there … and do something about it,” said Howard, who was — until about a year ago — involved on and off with the Riverside Park Community and Recreation Association over the past 25 years.

She served as the councillor for the Mooney’s Bay Ward, today known as River Ward, from 1994 to 1999. Halfway through her second term, she stepped down to move to China where her husband and three children had relocated due to her husband’s foreign affairs work.

Howard felt compelled to seek a seat on council when she was involved with her local community association, and the Confederation Heights area, including Vincent Massey Park and Mooney’s Bay Park, was going to be redeveloped.

“If the community didn’t get involved and get organized, you would have a situation like Eastway Gardens where you have a community that wants something and it looks like it could use more muscle to fight back,” she said of the neighbourhood, which backs onto an expanding light-rail train yard.

Howard was also among those who protested the lack of transparency and faulty process which permitted the installation of the large playground at Mooney’s Bay Park last year without public consultation.

As a councillor, she supported accountability and transparency in government, and helped the city draft its ethics code, which was approved.

Ontario PC party leader Patrick Brown recently proposed an ethics and accountability act that was voted down by the Liberals, including Fraser, Howard said.

“I was very disappointed to see that because ethics and accountability are exactly what we need to see at the provincial level,” said Howard, a taxation lawyer who is working on a master’s of law at Queen’s University focusing on government accountability.

Undoing the financial damage created by Liberal mismanagement is also one of her priorities, though Howard acknowledged it will take a strong plan and forethought to achieve a balanced budget after a 10-year debt accumulation, which will be further exacerbated by the “hydro appeasement mechanism.”

Howard considers herself “very progressive conservative.”

She said new ideas need to be infused to help the Progressive Conservative party become more progressive, particularly around accountability and ethics, a passion of Howard’s.

The Ontario PC party’s platform is a good starting basis, she said.

Howard plans to attend a party policy meeting in November and already attended the party’s eastern Ontario preliminary policy meeting, held in Ottawa South, where input was gathered “to become the new party that we need to be,” she said.

https://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/7398534-election-2018-former-ottawa-councillor-acclaimed-as-provincial-pc-candidate-in-ottawa-south/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindsey Park wins the Durham provincial Conservative nomination

Park beat out Uxbridge’s Dominic Morrissey in June 28 PC party vote

News Jun 29, 2017 by Jennifer O'Meara  DurhamRegion.com|

Lindsey Park

Lindsey Park is the PC candidate in Durham riding. - lindseypark.ca

DURHAM — Lindsey Park won the vote to become the candidate for the Ontario Progressive Conservatives in Durham riding on Wednesday, June 29.

Park is a civil litigation lawyer — specializing in estate law, professional negligence, commercial litigation and construction law — who lives and works in Durham, according to her campaign literature.

Park played hockey for the Durham West Girls Hockey Association. She went on to play NCAA Division 1 hockey at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, where she obtained a Bachelor of Science. While completing her law degree at the University of Ottawa, Park worked as an adviser to the federal Minister of the Environment Peter Kent.

She won the Durham provincial PC nomination over Uxbridge resident Dominic Morrissey, District Manager for the Canadian Federation of Independent Business. Clarington Regional Councillor Joe Neal abandoned his legal fight to gain standing as a candidate for the Progressive Conservatives in Durham riding on Friday, June 25, citing the party’s determination to block his bid.

The provincial election will be held June 7, 2018

https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/7399067-lindsey-park-wins-the-durham-provincial-conservative-nomination/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrie councillor no longer wants PC nomination

Sunday, July 9, 2017 4:30:49 EDT PM

Doug Shipley

Doug Shipley has now tossed his own hat from the ring of provincial politics.

The Barrie councillor has announced he won't be running for the Progressive Conservative Party nomination, for the Barrie-Innisfil riding, in the next Ontario election.

Shipley said he'd never written the cheque and submitted his papers for the nomination anyway.

“I'm just letting people know I've had a change of heart and will no longer be pursuing it,” he said. “I've been thinking about it for a while.

“I'm enjoying municipal politics, my heart is local, it's always been local. The thought of switching over to provincial politics just isn't the right timing for me. I'm going to stick it out and see where this leads to, down the road.”

Shipley said he was concerned about the time running for provincial politics would take away from his family life; he still likes to coach minor hockey and goes to his kids' sporting events.

“The timing wasn't right for me,” he said, noting he talked to his family about it.

“I'm sure there will be some good people coming forward (for the PC nomination) and announcing in the short term,” Shipley said.

Shipley, 50, is a two-term city councillor in Ward 3, a former riding association president and long-time-Tory activist.

He was first elected to Barrie city council in 2010, then re-elected in 2014. He's chairman of the city's infrastructure, investment and development services committee, a member of Barrie's police board and the Barrie and area physician recruitment committee.

His withdrawal leaves Devin Scully and Lawrence Vindum contesting the nomination.

Vindum, 53, owns The Butcher Shop Barrie and is no stranger to politics. He has been a lifelong supporter of the Conservative party – knocking on thousands of doors and putting up lawn signs.

Friends, colleagues and the business community know him as 'Lawrence the Butcher'.

Scully was president of the Nipissing University Campus Conservatives and has served two terms as vice-president for youth of the Huron Bruce Progressive Conservative Association.

He is also known for authoring Swynnedle, concerning the record of Liberal Premiers Kathleen Wynne and Dalton McGuinty.

The next Ontario election is scheduled for June, 2018.

Liberal MPP Ann Hoggarth is Barrie MPP, having been elected in 2014.

The city will be split into two ridings for the next provincial election, as it was for the last federal election.

Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown is MPP for Simcoe North, but is expected to run in Barrie during the next provincial election.

The other provincial city riding is Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.c.....nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local parties organizing nomination meetings

By Valerie MacDonald, Northumberland Today

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:14:14 EDT PM

Northumberland-Quinte West MPP Lou Rinaldi outside of his Cobourg office. VALERIE MACDONALD/Northumberland Today

NORTHUMBERLAND - With the next provincial election less than a year away, just two potential candidates have announced their aspirations to represent their respective parties in the new riding of Northumberland-Peterborough South.

All parties are organizing nomination meetings, but only one date has been set.

Incumbent MPP Lou Rinaldi of Brighton (currently representing the riding of Northumberland-Quinte West) announced last week he would seek another term and in an interview Monday he said the local Liberal riding association would hold its nomination meeting before the end of this month.

Rinaldi was unaware of any other potential Liberal candidates, but the longtime MPP said party policy permits the premier to determine the riding candidate.

Back in May, David Piccini of Port Hope, who ran in Ottawa Vanier against a 20-year Liberal incumbent two years ago, announced he was seeking the local PC nomination.

Asked to respond to questions about what the provincial Liberal government has been doing which the opposition PCs and he would change, if elected, Piccini said he is focusing on getting support to be the PC candidate for this riding.

“Right now my focus is on working hard to gain the confidence of PC party members of our riding and winning the nomination,” Piccini stated in an e-mail. “I have been criss-crossing our riding knocking on thousands of doors and signing up hundreds of new members. People have lost faith in this government’s ability to lead after 13 years of scandals and mismanagement, and Team Piccini continues to build momentum as folks want change.

“Should I win the nomination, I look forward to speaking with you about the PC Party’s platform and my ideas on how to improve things for the people of Northumberland–Peterborough South. However, at this time, I feel it inappropriate to comment.”

The NDP’s local provincial riding association president Jana Papuckoski says the association doesn’t “have a confirmed candidate yet.”

It has, however, set the party’s candidate nomination meeting for Nov. 19 at 2 p.m. at the Jack Burger Complex in Port Hope.

Former Green Party federal candidate Patricia Sinnott says the provincial Green Party of Ontario held its AGM in April and she is part of the executive along with Gudrun Ludorf-Weaver (now president) who was the provincial Green Party candidate in the last election held in 2014.

“No date has yet been set for a nomination meeting nor do I know who will be seeking nomination,” Sinnott stated in an e-mail.

While Piccini declined to be specific about concerns with the current Liberal government, in an interview two months ago he said opposes the government’s direction which is mortgaging the future of every person in the province.

“That’s why I’m running,” Piccini told Northumberland Today at the time.

This is what PC Leader Patrick Brown has been saying about the Hydro One cut to electricity bills that will slash consumer bills from 25 to 50% this summer (July and August) and for the next four years.

Paying for this subsidy has been accomplished by changing the payback period for financing the necessary hydro infrastructure renewal, Rinaldi said.

The Liberal government’s long-term energy plan will address this among other issues when it is released in the near future, Rinaldi said, but “spreading those costs over a longer period” is “better” and covers the lifespan of this new energy infrastructure which meets provincial needs eliminating brownouts and blackouts.

Rinaldi said the PCs have “zero” plan for electricity, “just lots of opposition.”

http://www.northumberlandtoday.....n-meetings
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn Bubel running for Barrie-Innisfil PC candidacy

News Jul 19, 2017 03:48 by Janis Ramsay  Innisfil Journal|

Shawn Bubel

Shawn Bubel has put his name forward as a candidate to represent the Ontario Progressive Conservative party in the Barrie-Innisfil riding. - Shawn Bubel/submitted

Shawn Bubel wants to represent the Barrie-Innisfil riding for the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party.

For many years, Bubel served as special assistant to Patrick Brown while he was the federal MP for Barrie.

When Brown won the leadership of the Ontario PC Party in May 2015, Bubel served as a communications adviser.

Following the 2015 federal election, Bubel switched jobs to become chief of staff to Barrie-Innisfil MP John Brassard.

“Having worked side-by-side over the past decade with elected members from Queen’s Park and the House of Commons, I know the job intimately and fully understand the commitment it takes to get things done," Bubel said. "I’m ready on Day 1 to serve the constituents of Barrie-Innisfil and to help move Ontario forward."

Bubel joins Lawrence Vindum and Devin Scully as potential candidates.

https://www.simcoe.com/news-story/7461333-shawn-bubel-running-for-barrie-innisfil-pc-candidacy/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Conservatives hoping for a breakthrough in northwestern Ontario

Could electricity prices end the provincial Tories’ three-decade shutout in the northwest?

Published on Jul 21, 2017

by Jon Thompson

Patrick Brown in a grocery store

Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown, seen here with Odena Foods owner Kent Maijala, visits Kakabeka Falls, 30 minutes west of Thunder Bay. (Jon Thompson)

KAKABEKA FALLS — The roaring Kaministiquia River crossing the crest of the 40-metre-high Kakabeka Falls is among northwestern Ontario’s premier tourist attractions. While most visitors come for the sights, Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown stopped by this week because he sees political opportunity.

The waterfall — one of Ontario’s tallest — is located 30 minutes west of Thunder Bay and is directly below a 25-megawatt hydroelectric generation project. In town, the grocery store has seen its June hydro bill increase 20 per cent over last year.

With his shirt’s top button undone and his sleeves rolled up, Brown walked through Odena Foods on Monday, offering northwestern Ontarians a narrative he believes will win his party its first seat in the region in three decades.

Brown used the term “hydro crisis” to combine northern frustration with rising energy costs and accusations of Liberal mismanagement under the Green Energy Act. As friends of the Liberal party have benefited from lucrative contracts, he alleged, Ontario has given away $6 billion in surplus energy to other jurisdictions since 2009 — all while “spilling” (or not using the electricity generated from) the fruits of green hydroelectric dams in the north. Families, he concluded, are left to pick up the tab.

It’s the same message that won Ross Romano a June by-election in Sault Ste. Marie in northeastern Ontario, making him that riding’s first Progressive Conservative MPP since 1981.

“I think what we saw in Sault Ste. Marie is the tip of the iceberg,” Brown told reporters.

“People asked me why we connected with voters in Sault Ste. Marie — in northern Ontario — where the party hasn’t before. I said, ‘Because we fought for issues that will make life easier for families.’”

This was Brown’s seventh stop in the Thunder Bay area and his 25th visit to northern Ontario since becoming party leader in May 2015. The attention is buoying hopes among regional PC organizers that Brown’s leadership will finally tap into northwestern Ontario’s political culture and break the party’s persistent regional shutout.

The last time the PCs represented Kakabeka Falls was between 1977 and 1987 under former Olympic boxer and Montreal Canadiens scout Michael “Mickey” Hennessy, who served the Fort William riding.

John Henderson was 26 years old when he became president of Hennessy’s riding association. When Henderson ran under Mike Harris in 1999, the party had departed from the red Tory message that had defined its local popularity. Henderson garnered only 19 per cent of the Thunder Bay–Atikokan vote, losing to former Liberal leader Lyn McLeod, who had unseated Hennessy 12 years earlier.

Henderson sees fertile ground for the PC message in Thunder Bay’s changing employment landscape. Investments the Harris government made — including the regional hospital and medical school — have accompanied reduced industrial employment in the traditionally blue-collar city. Manufacturing sector workers, who have been a base for the NDP, now earn far above the median income.

The Thunder Bay–Superior North PC Riding Association president believes Brown can speak to the interests of workers in a way the urban PC party apparatus has failed to in the past.

“Patrick gets the north and I think part of the machine in Toronto underappreciated us,” Henderson said. “They’d come up and say things, and I’d put my hands over my eyes and say, ‘No, that’s not correct, and if you’d talked to some of us in the north, we could have given you better information than what you had out of Toronto.’ I don’t see that with Patrick.”

The PCs haven’t represented any of northwestern Ontario’s three ridings since Hennessy and Rainy River MPP Jack Pierce were defeated in 1987. The NDP has held the changing configurations of the Kenora–Rainy River riding for 30 years under Howard Hampton and later Sarah Campbell. The Thunder Bay area has sent Liberal MPPs Michael Gravelle and Bill Mauro to Queen’s Park every election since 1995 and 2003, respectively. Both men plan to seek re-election in 2018, while Campbell has yet to declare.

Laure Paquette is a professor in Lakehead University's political science department. She's not convinced Brown's leadership will tilt the playing field enough for the PCs to capture the long-sought seats of the northwest, even with the energy message front and centre.

"Until Gravelle retires, he has a lock on it. There's no question. I've always thought Thunder Bay–Atikokan is vulnerable for the Liberals, but they're vulnerable to the NDP," Paquette said.

"With hydro, [Brown] is pushing on the right issue, but I don't know if it will be enough. He'll have to speak to the regional concerns, and let's just say I can't remember him talking about northwestern Ontario issues."

Fort Frances-based Tannis Drysdale has been involved in every conservative campaign since 1995. The PC northern region past vice-president saw “real efforts” made to design detailed northern policy under Mike Harris (who represented the northeastern Ontario riding of Nipissing) and again under Tim Hudak in 2011. However, when Hudak ran again in 2014 on a platform of cutting public-sector jobs, she saw a policy “whiplash” that abandoned northern planning. In contrast, she said, “Patrick invests heavily in victory.

“We saw in Sault Ste. Marie, he understands the dynamics of crafting messages for northern Ontario. He attends ridings with enormous regularity. He’s not just a fictional character who shows up at election time. ”

When retired Lakehead president Fred Gilbert ran for the Tories in 2011 and collected 22 per cent of the Thunder Bay–Atikokan vote, it was the highest vote percentage of any PC candidate in the region since the ridings were realigned in 1999. He recalled his candidacy was hampered by steadfast anti-elitism in the political culture, along with anger toward the federal Conservatives led by Stephen Harper and the legacy of the provincial Harris government. He believes there’s a timeless quality to that skepticism.

“There was a lot of residual resentment to the Harris years — particularly what he did to the teachers — and I got a lot of that at the door … People don’t forget in Thunder Bay.”

Derek Parks has vowed the PCs wouldn’t forget northern Ontario in 2018. In the absence of a local PC candidate, the Cambridge-based environmental consultant ran in Thunder Bay–Superior North in 2014, despite his not having lived in the north for more than two decades.

Parks felt alone in an election without a sincere northern focus. He heard Hudak speaking about issues and positions on which northern candidates hadn’t been briefed. When Hudak refused to participate in the northern leaders’ debate, Parks said he’d learned about it from the news. At that moment, he knew his campaign was finished, and he started planning for 2018.

“Most of the people surrounding Tim Hudak needed to go,” he said. “We’d lost three elections and Patrick Brown brought a fresh face to provincial politics coming from the federal level. I was there to upset the apple cart.”

Parks accepted the regional vice-presidency torch from Drysdale and was one of the first to endorse Brown as leader. He has since moved home to Thunder Bay, and as he builds his bid for his party’s 2018 nomination, he sees Brown and the PCs as having crafted a political message that will resonate with northwestern voters at last.

“People feel upset with the current government and they’re willing to look at alternatives. Governments aren’t voted in — they’re voted out,” he said.

“The debacle of the Green Energy Act and this adjustment fee is a bleak void that all the mistakes of this government get sucked into.”

Energy will likely be a central campaign plank for all the major parties in next year’s election. In just under a year, Ontarians will see whether Brown’s message on this file will be enough to end the cold shoulder his party’s received from northwestern Ontario for most of his life.

This is one in a series of stories about issues affecting northwestern Ontario. It's brought to you in partnership with Confederation College of Applied Arts and Technology.

CORRECTION: This piece originally stated that Lyn McLeod was leader of the Liberal Party in 1999. In reality, by that time she had stepped down as leader and been replaced by Dalton McGuinty. TVO regrets the error.

http://tvo.org/article/current.....rn-ontario
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statement by Patrick Brown on nomination as candidate for Barrie-Springwater-Oro Medonte

'For 17 years I have been proud to represent Simcoe County at all three levels of government,' says Brown
18 shares
Jul 20, 2017 10:30 PM by: BarrieToday Staff

Patrick Brown FONOM
Village Media file photo shows PC Leader Patrick Brown at Nipissing University, in North Bay. Stu Campaigne for BayToday

NEWS RELEASE

PATRICK BROWN, ONTARIO PC LEADER

Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on his nomination as the Ontario PC candidate for Barrie-Springwater-Oro Medonte:

Advertisement

“I am honoured and humbled to have the support of Ontario PC membership in Barrie – Springwater – Oro-Medonte, and to be acclaimed as the PC candidate for the 2018 election.

“For 17 years, I have been proud to represent Simcoe County at all three levels of government. For too long our community has been cut out from government decision-making at Queen’s Park. Over the next 10 months, I will work hard to ensure Simcoe County families have a strong voice.

"After 14 years in power, life is harder with the Liberals. Ontario families are working hard, paying more, and getting less. This has got to change.

“The next election will be about who will make it easier for you and your family to make ends meet and get ahead. I want Ontario families who work hard to pay less and get ahead. Together with our modern, inclusive and pragmatic Ontario PC team we will deliver real change for the better.”

https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/statement-by-patrick-brown-on-nomination-as-candidate-for-barrie-springwater-oro-medonte-676294
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange running for PC nomination

By Ray Spiteri, Niagara Falls Review

Friday, July 28, 2017 4:46:18 EDT PM

Mike Strange. (Niagara Falls Review/Postmedia Network file photo)

Mike Strange is running to become Niagara Falls riding’s Progressive Conservative candidate in the 2018 provincial election.

The Niagara Falls councillor told the Niagara Falls Review he filed his papers about a week and a half ago.

The rookie politician told the Review in September 2016 he was considering moving up a political weight class, but had not yet made a decision.

“I really like city council. I like my city and doing stuff for the City of Niagara Falls, but I’ve kind of been looking at the way the province has been going, and thinking that especially with (Liberal Premier) Kathleen Wynne and the stuff she’s doing with hydro and the cost there, I officially put my papers in.”

Strange said he is unsure who, if anybody, may challenge him for the Tory nomination.

He said an annual general meeting has been scheduled for Thursday, where a nomination date may be set.

Strange is new to politics, having been elected to city council in 2014. He finished second out of eight councillors elected.

Strange made a name for himself through his Olympic boxing career, and more recently his charitable efforts.

He closed his Highland Tap bar, which had been operating for 21 years, in 2016, and has focused more of his time on city hall business, as well as being a real-estate agent and his Box Run charity, which raises money to fight childhood cancer.

“I’ve learned a lot the last few years (on council),” said Strange.

“I always vote from the heart, even if I think it might not go the right way.”

He said he considers himself more of a fiscal conservative and social liberal.

“I’m not the far side of either way. I don’t even consider myself a politician sometimes. I like helping children. When I see nurses’ jobs getting cut in the province, it really, really says to me, ‘What’s going on?’”

Strange said he has visited McMaster Children’s Hospital and has seen nurses work tirelessly and “they can’t have a bad day.”

“If anything, there should be more jobs for nursing.”

Strange said if elected, he would push for improved health care, particularly for children facing cancer and teens suffering from mental health issues.

He also said he would fight to get regular GO train service to Niagara Falls by 2021, in time for the Canada Summer Games.

Year-round GO train service is scheduled to arrive in the city by 2023.

Strange said he considers Niagara Falls NDP MPP Wayne Gates a friend, adding “he’s doing a good job.”

“It’s just, a lot of things, you want to be aligned with the lead of the government … to get things done,” he said, noting the NDP has the third most seats in the provincial legislature.

“I think the province is leaning towards (PC leader) Patrick Brown and the Conservatives. I know it’s going to be a fight right until the end.”

Meanwhile, Gates received unanimous approval from party members and supporters at an NDP nomination meeting earlier this month to be the riding’s candidate for next year’s election.

He ran unopposed at the July 18 nomination meeting.

Gates, a former Niagara Falls city councillor, won a provincial byelection in 2014, and then retained his seat during a general election in June of that year.

Gates said he agrees with Strange that “we’re doing a good job, and we’re going to continue to do it.”

“I think this riding (has) proven in the past they vote for the person that they think is going to get stuff done, and I believe our accomplishments over the last four years — that list is extremely long.”

He said during the last three and a half years, “we’ve accomplished many great things together — GO train investments, saving the Fort Erie Race Track, standing up for seniors and securing funding for the hospital and our local schools — but we have so much more to do."

Gates said the NDP has put forward a comprehensive plan to lower hydro bills and return Hydro One to public hands, as well as a plan to get the local hospital built and put people back to work.

“We are fighting to give the growing number in unstable work a chance to build a stable life, and to give people jobs they can actually raise a family on. It’s time to make those plans a reality.”

The next provincial election is scheduled for June 2018.

http://www.niagarafallsreview......nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline Mulroney eyes running for PCs in Ontario election

Brian Platt and Miriam King, Postmedia Network

First posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 10:48 AM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 04:43 PM EDT

Caroline Mulroney, daughter of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, is making her entrance into politics — though she’s going the provincial route.

On Wednesday, Mulroney announced she’s seeking the Ontario Progressive Conservative nomination in the Toronto-area riding of York-Simcoe. She would be a star candidate for a party that’s been riding atop provincial polls since Patrick Brown was elected leader in 2015, aiming to end a decade and a half of Ontario Liberal rule.

“As a working mother of four, I know we need change,” the 43-year-old Mulroney says in a video announcing her candidacy. “Government needs to get out of the way, focus more on affordability, manage taxes properly so we get the services we expect.”

Mulroney has been making herself more visible in party politics recently, including a stint co-hosting the federal Conservative leadership convention in May. Last fall she introduced Brown at a fundraising dinner.

“I have great confidence in Patrick Brown,” Mulroney told the Bradford Times. “He understands what people here want and care about.”

Mulroney has a home in Georgina, which is in the riding, and says she’s getting a sense of what local voters are looking for in the election scheduled for June 2018.

“From all the people I’ve spoken with, the people of York-Simcoe want change. People tell me that what matters to them is the rising cost of living – the cost of housing, hydro rates, taxes… the affordability.”

The Ontario PCs have already gotten some advice from her father, who dropped by the Ontario legislature in April 2016 at Brown’s request to give some advice to the caucus on winning the next election.

Brown has previously said that he first decided he was a Conservative when, during grade school, he wrote a letter to then-Prime Minister Mulroney about acid rain and got a response back. “I told my parents, ‘I think I agree with the Conservative party,’” he said in a 2015 Toronto Life interview.

Caroline Mulroney had long been rumoured to be considering a political run, though some speculated she might run federally. Her brother Mark, head of equity capital markets at the National Bank of Canada, had been talked about as a potential leadership candidate to replace Stephen Harper, though he stayed out. Her other brother Ben co-hosts a national morning program on CTV.

Caroline studied at Harvard College, has a law degree from New York University, and has a long resume of experience at investment firms and philanthropic organizations. She is currently a vice president at BloombergSen, a Toronto-based investment counselling firm, and is the co-founder and chair of the Shoebox Project for Shelters charity, which collects gifts for women and girls in shelters or facing homelessness.

If she wins the nomination, she’ll be running in a riding vacated by long-time PC MPP Julia Munro, who is retiring. York-Simcoe, located just north of Toronto, has been easily won by Munro in each election since it was created in 2007, and Munro has held a seat in the legislature since 1995.

Mulroney has received endorsements from Munro and from Conservative MP Peter Van Loan, who holds the federal seat for the riding.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....o-election
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
Caroline Mulroney eyes running for PCs in Ontario election

Brian Platt and Miriam King, Postmedia Network

First posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 10:48 AM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 04:43 PM EDT

Caroline Mulroney, daughter of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, is making her entrance into politics — though she’s going the provincial route.

On Wednesday, Mulroney announced she’s seeking the Ontario Progressive Conservative nomination in the Toronto-area riding of York-Simcoe. She would be a star candidate for a party that’s been riding atop provincial polls since Patrick Brown was elected leader in 2015, aiming to end a decade and a half of Ontario Liberal rule.

“As a working mother of four, I know we need change,” the 43-year-old Mulroney says in a video announcing her candidacy. “Government needs to get out of the way, focus more on affordability, manage taxes properly so we get the services we expect.”

Mulroney has been making herself more visible in party politics recently, including a stint co-hosting the federal Conservative leadership convention in May. Last fall she introduced Brown at a fundraising dinner.

“I have great confidence in Patrick Brown,” Mulroney told the Bradford Times. “He understands what people here want and care about.”

Mulroney has a home in Georgina, which is in the riding, and says she’s getting a sense of what local voters are looking for in the election scheduled for June 2018.

“From all the people I’ve spoken with, the people of York-Simcoe want change. People tell me that what matters to them is the rising cost of living – the cost of housing, hydro rates, taxes… the affordability.”

The Ontario PCs have already gotten some advice from her father, who dropped by the Ontario legislature in April 2016 at Brown’s request to give some advice to the caucus on winning the next election.

Brown has previously said that he first decided he was a Conservative when, during grade school, he wrote a letter to then-Prime Minister Mulroney about acid rain and got a response back. “I told my parents, ‘I think I agree with the Conservative party,’” he said in a 2015 Toronto Life interview.

Caroline Mulroney had long been rumoured to be considering a political run, though some speculated she might run federally. Her brother Mark, head of equity capital markets at the National Bank of Canada, had been talked about as a potential leadership candidate to replace Stephen Harper, though he stayed out. Her other brother Ben co-hosts a national morning program on CTV.

Caroline studied at Harvard College, has a law degree from New York University, and has a long resume of experience at investment firms and philanthropic organizations. She is currently a vice president at BloombergSen, a Toronto-based investment counselling firm, and is the co-founder and chair of the Shoebox Project for Shelters charity, which collects gifts for women and girls in shelters or facing homelessness.

If she wins the nomination, she’ll be running in a riding vacated by long-time PC MPP Julia Munro, who is retiring. York-Simcoe, located just north of Toronto, has been easily won by Munro in each election since it was created in 2007, and Munro has held a seat in the legislature since 1995.

Mulroney has received endorsements from Munro and from Conservative MP Peter Van Loan, who holds the federal seat for the riding.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....o-election

Julia Munro has held this riding or a similar riding for the PCs since 1995.
Its a fairly safe riding and Mulroney is a very good get for the PCs.

I would imagine with her experience she a lock for cabinet.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  

Jump to: