Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Jack Maclaren removed from Ont pc caucus Reply with quote

( this is just 1 incident in what has been a long running story , this mpp has a rather colourful history but appently Brown has seen enough and decided to give him the boot once and for all )

MPP Jack MacLaren booted from Tory caucus over comments about French language rights

PC Leader Patrick Brown says a video from 2012 showing MacLaren hinting at a hidden agenda is “the final straw.”

In a video from 2012, Jack MacLaren laments French language rights in eastern Ontario but says his party won't talk about that with an election looming.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Sun., May 28, 2017

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown has finally turfed controversial MPP Jack MacLaren from caucus after a fourth incident embarrassing to the party.

MacLaren’s ejection on Sunday came after CFRA Radio in Ottawa posted video of him from 2012 disparaging bilingualism in Eastern Ontario.

“You don’t have to convince me what’s wrong with French-language education in Ontario,” the Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP told people lamenting French-language requirements for many jobs in the Ottawa area.

“You’re right, but you won’t hear it because we’re trying to get elected. We have lots of things that we’re going to do that we won’t say before the election because we won’t get elected,” he continued in the 23-minute video.

While MacLaren was a key player in Brown's successful 2015 leadership campaign, that fourth transgression was the tipping point.

“I am building a modern, inclusive Ontario PC Party, one where it doesn’t matter where you’re from, who you love, where you worship, what language you speak, or how much money you make,” said Brown.

“Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that Jack MacLaren does not share these values. Once again, Jack MacLaren has been caught making comments that are unacceptable. This video is the final straw. I have expelled Jack MacLaren from the PC caucus. The expulsion is indefinite. He will not be a PC candidate in the next provincial election,” said the Tory leader.

Brown, who speaks French and recently hosted a Franco-Ontarian day at Queen’s Park to showcase his party’s new focus on bilingualism, had defended MacLaren after his three past gaffes.

“Each time Jack MacLaren is caught making disparaging or insensitive remarks about others he asks for forgiveness and a second chance. And a third chance. And a fourth. And each and every time, he has disappointed those who have put their trust in him,” the PC chief said.

“This video is part of a pattern with Jack MacLaren. Clearly the real Jack MacLaren is the one we heard making derogatory comments towards women at the Carp Fair Men’s Night, who published fake testimonials praising himself from fake constituents on his website, and who came out against a zero-tolerance policy against sexual abuse.”

That’s a reference to the Star revealing last spring that MacLaren made sexist remarks about his federal counterpart Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon at a Carp Fair cancer fundraiser in front of 350 people.

Afterwards, Brown ordered MacLaren to stay away from the legislature until he completed sensitivity training.

The Ottawa Citizen then found the MPP’s official website contained six fake testimonials from satisfied “constituents” accompanied by photos lifted from the Internet.

And MacLaren was forced to apologize for declaring that it was dangerous to have a zero-tolerance policy for doctors accused of sexually abusing their patients.

It is unclear whether the MPP, who did not return messages from the Star on Sunday, would run as an independent in the June 7, 2018 election.

But his former Conservative caucus mates privately praised Brown for taking action, saying MacLaren was a liability who could have jeopardized the Tories’ chances of toppling Premier Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals next year.

Several of them were helping rival candidates challenging him for the nomination in the newly redistributed riding of Kanata-Carleton just east of Ottawa.

However, some Tories are questioning Brown’s timing.

One insider, who spoke on background in order to discuss internal party machinations, wondered if Brown kicked MacLaren out because he might have won the Kanata-Carleton nomination over preferred candidate Merrilee Fullerton, a doctor who has been touted as a future health minister in a Brown government.

“This video has been around for years — it was well-known that Jack had publicly said this kind of stuff. So why now?”

MacLaren’s expulsion is the latest setback for Brown in his efforts to brand the party as modern and inclusive.

Last year, Brown ordered Rick Nicholls to retract his comments after telling a group of Christian supporters that social issues are “very important” to the party and once they form government, “Watch us go.” Nicholls was also mocked in the legislature after saying he doesn’t believe in evolution.

Brown himself publicly split from social conservatives after reversing his stance on the Liberal sex-ed curriculum.

But his newest caucus member, 19-year-old Sam Oosterhoff, has declared himself “100 per cent pro-life.” Brown has also expressed displeasure that another caucus member, Monte McNaughton, has continued to court sex-ed opponents.

With files from The Canadian Press

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/05/28/mpp-jack-maclaren-booted-from-tory-caucus-over-comments-about-franco-ontarians.html
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottawa-area MPP Jack MacLaren expelled from PC caucus

Expulsion comes after remarks he made about French-language rights in Ontario surface online

CBC News Posted: May 28, 2017 10:19 AM ET| Last Updated: May 28, 2017 2:58 PM ET

Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP Jack MacLaren has been no stranger to controversy in recent months.

Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown has booted Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP Jack MacLaren from caucus over alleged comments he made about French-language rights in Ontario and misleading voters in an undated video that has surfaced online.

"Once again, Jack MacLaren has been caught making comments that are unacceptable. This video is the final straw," Brown said in a written statement Sunday morning.

"I have expelled Jack MacLaren from the PC caucus. The expulsion is indefinite. He will not be a PC candidate in the next provincial election."

In a video from 2012 obtained by Ottawa radio station 580 CFRA, MacLaren appears to be speaking to a crowd of people when a man raises the issue of French-language rights and anglophones losing job opportunities in eastern Ontario.

'Each time Jack MacLaren is caught making disparaging or insensitive remarks about others he asks for forgiveness and a second chance.'

- Patrick Brown

"You don't have to convince me what's wrong with French-language and English in Ontario," MacLaren appears to say in the 23-minute video.

"You're right. But you won't hear it because we're trying to get elected."

MacLaren, first elected in 2011, then goes on to say, "We have lots of things that we're going to do but we won't say before the election because we won't get elected.

"You'll get my vote if you say it," the man responds.

MacLaren replies: "Well, then I'm afraid I won't get your vote."

The video illustrates a "pattern" with MacLaren, Brown said in his statement on Sunday.

"Each time Jack MacLaren is caught making disparaging or insensitive remarks about others he asks for forgiveness and a second chance. And a third chance. And a fourth. And each and every time, he has disappointed those who have put their trust in him."

Joining the Trillium Party

MacLaren's constituency office did not respond to a request for comment from CBC News Sunday morning.

Hours after being expelled, however, MacLaren issued a statement on Twitter announcing he had joined the Trillium Party of Ontario "after months of deliberation and discussion with my constituents."

"I believe I can better serve and represent the people of my riding as a member of the Trillium Party of Ontario," MacLaren said in the statement, which did not directly address the expulsion.

"The Trillium Party will give me the opportunity to speak freely on my constituents' behalf, to vote freely on their behalf, and to have input into all policy-making on their behalf."

According to its policy page, the Trillium Party of Ontario is against carbon taxes and wants a review of Ontario's sex-ed curriculum. The party also calls for the province's public and separate school boards to be administered by the same governing body.

The party ran two candidates and received 296 votes in the 2014 Ontario election.

'Lying or manipulating people'

Nepean-Carleton PC MPP Lisa MacLeod told CBC News she supported Brown's decision to remove the controversial figure from the Tory caucus.

Asked why the expulsion didn't come sooner, she said Brown had to weigh his loyalty to MacLaren for supporting him in the leadership race versus the continued distraction caused by his repeated public gaffes.

MacLeod, a former francophone affairs critic, categorically denied the suggestion that her party had plans to change bilingual hiring practices in Ontario.

"It's absolutely false that anybody was talking about that type of activity," she said.

"That was lying or manipulating people into believing something that we didn't stand for, and I really reject that notion."

She also accused MacLaren of being out of touch with his constituents in Carleton-Mississippi Mills.

MacLaren's controversial past

MacLaren has been no stranger to controversy in recent months, which nearly came to a tipping point when Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne suggested the MPP should be removed from the PC caucus.
■PC Jack MacLaren told to take sensitivity training after 'joke' about Liberal MP

Wynne's remarks came after MacLaren was at a "men's night" fundraiser in his riding in March 2016 when he told a sexual joke about Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon and her husband. Following that incident, he participated in sensitivity training.

In March of this year, he admitted he "made a mistake" during a Queen's Park debate that a zero-tolerance policy on sexual abuse for health care professionals would be "extraordinarily hard — overly harsh — on doctors."

In another gaffe, MacLaren was caught having fake constituent endorsements on his website. He apologized and removed the phoney online statements.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4134959
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on the Expulsion of Jack MacLaren from the PC Caucus

Posted on May 28, 2017

"I am building a modern, inclusive Ontario PC Party - one where it doesn't matter where you're from, who you love, where you worship, what language you speak, or how much money you make.

"Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that Jack MacLaren does not share these values. Once again, Jack MacLaren has been caught making comments that are unacceptable. This video is the final straw. I have expelled Jack MacLaren from the PC caucus. The expulsion is indefinite. He will not be a PC candidate in the next provincial election.

"Each time Jack MacLaren is caught making disparaging or insensitive remarks about others he asks for forgiveness and a second chance. And a third chance. And a fourth. And each and every time, he has disappointed those who have put their trust in him.

“This video is part of a pattern with Jack MacLaren. Clearly the real Jack MacLaren is the one we heard making derogatory comments towards women at the Carp Fair Men’s Night, who published fake testimonials praising himself from fake constituents on his website, and who came out against a zero-tolerance policy against sexual abuse."

https://www.ontariopc.ca/statement_from_ontario_pc_leader_patrick_brown_on_the_expulsion_of_jack_maclaren_from_the_pc_caucus
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controversial Progressive Conservative politician kicked out of caucus

Allison Jones — Canadian Press

Sunday, May 28th, 2017

TORONTO — A controversial Progressive Conservative politician was kicked out of the caucus Sunday after a video from 2012 emerged showing him hinting at a hidden agenda and making negative comments about French language rights.

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown called it the “final straw” with Jack MacLaren.

“Each time Jack MacLaren is caught making disparaging or insensitive remarks about others he asks for forgiveness and a second chance. And a third chance. And a fourth,” Brown said Sunday in a strongly worded statement.

“And each and every time, he has disappointed those who have put their trust in him.”

MacLaren — who represents the Ottawa-area riding of Carleton-Mississippi Mills — is expelled indefinitely from the PC caucus and will not be a candidate for the party in next year’s provincial election, Brown said.

The video, posted online by Ottawa radio station CFRA, shows Jack MacLaren talking to a group of people and agreeing with people lamenting French language rights in eastern Ontario.

“You don’t have to convince me what’s wrong with French language in eastern Ontario,” MacLaren says.

“You’re right, but you won’t hear it, because we’re trying to get elected.”

In the video, MacLaren says an election will likely come after the Liberals select a new leader — the party picked Kathleen Wynne in 2013 and an election was held in 2014.

“We have lots of things that we’re going to do that we won’t say to people before the election because we won’t get elected,” MacLaren says.

Brown previously ordered MacLaren to stay away from the legislature until he completed sensitivity training after he made vulgar remarks about a female MP at a men’s night fundraiser.

As MacLaren shared the stage at a fundraiser with Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon, he made a joke involving a story about a married couple, inserting the names of McCrimmon and her husband, with a punchline about oral sex.

He also came under fire for fake testimonials on his website and for suggesting a zero tolerance policy for the sexual abuse of patients is dangerous.

Brown said this video is part of a pattern with MacLaren.

“Clearly the real Jack MacLaren is the one we heard making derogatory comments towards women at the Carp Fair Men’s Night, who published fake testimonials praising himself from fake constituents on his website, and who came out against a zero-tolerance policy against sexual abuse,” Brown wrote.

MacLaren, who served as Brown’s campaign co-chair in his 2015 leadership bid, posted on Twitter several hours after the announcement that he had joined the Trillium Party of Ontario.

“The Trillium Party will give me the opportunity to speak freely on my constituents’ behalf, to vote freely on their behalf, and to have input into all policy-making on their behalf,” he wrote.

His expulsion from the PCs is the latest setback for Brown in his efforts to brand the party as modern and inclusive.

Last year, Brown ordered Rick Nicholls to retract his comments after telling a group of Christian supporters that social issues are “very importan” to the party and once they form government, “Watch us go.” Nicholls was also mocked in the legislature after saying he doesn’t believe in evolution.

Brown himself publicly split from social conservatives after reversing his stance on the Liberal sex-ed curriculum.

But his newest caucus member, 19-year-old Sam Oosterhoff, has declared himself “100 per cent pro-life.”

Brown expressed displeasure last year when another caucus member, Monte McNaughton, briefly met with protesters at an anti-sex-ed rally.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/05/28.....of-caucus/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPP Jack MacLaren was quitting before PC Leader Patrick Brown fired him

MacLaren, who said he “never” speaks to Brown anymore, said he was planning to leave long before a video surfaced where he disparaged French-language rights.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Mon., May 29, 2017

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown only kicked out Jack MacLaren from caucus after learning the MPP was planning to bolt for the fledgling Trillium Party.

“I’ve been having conversations . . . with the Trillium Party for several weeks,” MacLaren told the Star in an interview in the legislative office he vacated Monday because it was assigned to the Tories.

“Last week, it all just came together and we made the decision on Friday that I would join the Trillium Party and step down from the Progressive Conservatives,” the Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP said.

“We had planned to make a public announcement tomorrow, Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. We booked the (Queen’s Park) media studio. But the (PC) party got wind, I guess, of what we were planning and then did what they did yesterday.”

MacLaren was referring to Brown’s statement Sunday that he was banishing the Ottawa-area MPP from caucus for making “unacceptable” comments in a 2012 video where he criticized French-language rights.

“This video is the final straw. I have expelled Jack MacLaren from the PC caucus. The expulsion is indefinite. He will not be a PC candidate in the next provincial election,” said the Tory leader of a recording that first appeared on CFRA radio in Ottawa.

“Each time Jack MacLaren is caught making disparaging or insensitive remarks about others, he asks for forgiveness and a second chance. And a third chance. And a fourth. And each and every time, he has disappointed those who have put their trust in him,” he continued.

But MacLaren, who said he “never” speaks to Brown despite having co-chaired his 2015 leadership campaign, said he planned to leave long before the video surfaced Sunday.

“The PC Party knew about it five years ago. Nobody five years ago cared. Nobody complained. It was a non-event, so for that to be brought up now as a problem is odd,” the MPP said.

Asked if he thought Brown merely took action before he could formally leave the party, MacLaren said: “That’s a fair assessment.”

Trillium Party MPP Jack MacLaren (Carleton-Mississippi Mills) takes his seat in the Ontario Legislature on Monday after parting ways with the Progressive Conservatives over the weekend. (Robert Benzie / Toronto Star)

Bolstering his version of events is a four-page, full-colour glossy Trillium Party flyer distributed Monday at Queen’s Park featuring his photo and touting him as the candidate for the new riding of Kanata-Carleton.

Trillium Party Leader Bob Yaciuk confirmed that 1,500 of the brochures were printed last week, ready to be shared Tuesday.

Brown ducked reporters at the Legislature on Monday, but the PC Deputy Leader Steve Clark disputed MacLaren’s account.

“I never heard that he was going to leave for another party,” said Clark, the MPP for Leeds-Grenville.

“From my perspective, the first time I saw the video was on the weekend and I think the leader acted decisively and the caucus supports him 100 per cent,” he said.

Deputy Premier Deb Matthews said it seems as if the Tories are scrambling to make the best of a bad situation.

“Brown is saying he kicked him out, but MacLaren said that he was ready to go — that he was upset he was being scooped. So Brown is pretending to have taken action, but he only took action because he knew MacLaren was leaving,” said Matthews.

MacLaren said he decided to part ways with the Tories because he is disillusioned with Brown’s leadership and disappointed that the party does not allow more free votes so MPPs can vote with their conscience.

“When you’re told to vote against something you’re opposed to or not comfortable with . . . I feel cowardly when I have to do that,” he said.

“It just eats me to have to put my hand up to vote ‘Yes.’ That’s certainly democracy denied.”

Ironically, MacLaren skipped his first two votes as a Trillium MPP.

The outspoken MPP has been no stranger to controversy since being elected in 2011.

In April 2016, the Star revealed MacLaren made sexist remarks about his federal counterpart, Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon, at a cancer fundraiser at the Carp Fair in front of 350 people.

That led Brown to order him into sensitivity training.

Days later, it was found that his official website had six fake testimonials from satisfied “constituents” illustrated with by photos lifted from the Internet.

Then, earlier this year, MacLaren was forced to apologize for saying it was dangerous to have a zero-tolerance policy for doctors accused of sexually abusing their patients.

Liberated from the PC shackles, the Trillium Party MPP acknowledged it will be a tough slog in the June 7, 2018 election.

MacLaren admitted his candidacy may divide conservative voters between the Tories and Trillium Party, enabling the Liberals to win the seat.

“There’s always that risk.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/05/29/jack-maclaren-was-quitting-before-pc-leader-patrick-brown-fired-him.html

Jump to: