Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Senator Don Meredith to resign from senate Reply with quote

( senator Meredith is now saying he will resign , although he was likely going to be voted out of the senate anyways )

Don Meredith to resign from Senate

Laura Stone

OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, May 09, 2017 2:41PM EDT

Don Meredith says he will leave the Senate.

"After consulting with my family, community leaders, and my counsel over the past several weeks, I have decided to move forward with my life with the full support of my wife and my children," Mr. Meredith said in a statement released Tuesday afternoon.

The move comes after the Senate ethics and conflict of interest committee recommended that Mr. Meredith be kicked out of the Senate for his sexual relationship with a teenage girl, an outcome that would have been unprecedented in the Red Chamber.

While Mr. Meredith’s lawyer argued for a one or two-year suspension without pay, the five-member Senate committee determined that Mr. Meredith’s conduct demonstrated “he is unfit to serve as a senator.”

“No lesser sanction than expulsion would repair the harm he has done to the Senate,” the committee said in a report released last week.

The Senate was set to vote on Mr. Meredith’s fate as early as this week. If a majority of 99 senators voted to expel him, he would have been permanently removed from the chamber and his seat declared vacant.

The committee’s recommendations followed Senate ethics officer Lyse Ricard’s explosive investigation into Mr. Meredith’s relationship with a teenage girl, called only Ms. M., which began when she was 16 and lasted for two years.

Ms. Ricard’s report found that Mr. Meredith, a married 52-year-old Pentecostal pastor who calls himself a “devoted champion of youth empowerment,” breached two sections of the Senate ethics code during his relationship with Ms. M., including failing to uphold the dignity of the office and acting in a way that could adversely impact the institution.

According to Ms. Ricard’s report, the two met in February 2013 when Mr. Meredith was 48 and the girl was 16. Their relationship started with flirtatious chatting and progressed to sexually explicit text messaging and videos, kissing and touching and later, sexual intercourse. Although Mr. Meredith denied having sex with Ms. M. before she turned 18, Ms. Ricard determined that Mr. Meredith had intercourse with the teenager once when she was 17 and twice when she was 18.

Mr. Meredith told the Senate ethics officer that what happened with the young woman is a personal matter and is unconnected to his duties as a senator. He has apologized for his “moral failing” and has asked his colleagues for forgiveness. He also pleaded his case behind closed doors at the ethics committee, and would have given a chance to speak to his colleagues in the Red Chamber as well.

Ms. Ricard found that Mr. Meredith’s contact with the woman was “substantially intermingled” with his role as a senator, and that he drew on the weight and prestige of his role as a senator to “lure” her into a relationship. Ms. Ricard also found Mr. Meredith was not credible in his testimony.

Mr. Meredith is also facing two other ethics investigations into allegations of workplace harassment and another for including a business associate on a delegation to the Caribbean.

He was appointed to the Senate by former prime minister Stephen Harper in December 2010.

In 2013 during the height of the senate expense scandal, senators voted to suspend without pay fellow senators Mike Duffy, Pamela Wallin and Patrick Brazeau. Those three senators have since been welcomed back into the chamber following the dismissal of their criminal allegations. Mr. Duffy was found not guilty on 31 criminal charges, while Mr. Brazeau’s charges of fraud and breach of trust were withdrawn and Ms. Wallin was never charged.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....e34931849/
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Senator Don Meredith to resign from senate Reply with quote

Glad to see him depart.

I sure hope a payoff of any kind was not offered behind closed doors.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a 21st century witch-burning ceremony to me. This anonymous woman has never had her story cross-examined.

How does a girl keep that going for two years without complaining, and then finds herself reporting Meredith to the Senate Ethics Committee? Is she claiming she didn't consent? Why not go to the police?

The Senate is also investigating Meredith's finances, and his business.

I dunno, but it seems we are leaving the fundamentals of justice behind somwhere.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police investigated but could not press charges. She either wouldnt play or they couldnt find evidence. She herself says no se occured until after she reached 18.

But particularly, she could not get the police to keep it secret and she knew she did not want her name out there. The police may not reveal her name but any court doc's or appearances would include her name. In other words she would be known.

By gooing to the Senates Ethics commissioner she got assurances that her name would now and forever be kept secret.

Smart girl.

As for justice, he admitted all of the allegations ergo no sidestep of justice.

Jump to: