Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Speaker of legislature Dave Levac not seeking re election Reply with quote

( another blow to Kathleen Wynne , the liberal speaker of the legislature is not seeking re election , his riding of Brant is also especially vulnerable and has been held by the ndp and pc's in the past )

Queen’s Park speaker not seeking re-election

Dave Levac announced Friday he will not seek re-election next year as the Liberal MPP for Brantford.

Speaker of the Ontario Legislature Dave Levac announced Friday he will not seek re-election next year as the Liberal MPP for Brant.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Fri., May 5, 2017

The Legislature’s referee is leaving the field of play.

Speaker Dave Levac announced Friday he will not seek re-election next year as the Liberal MPP for Brant.

Levac, 63, a former high school principal, has represented the riding since 1999 and been the speaker of the assembly for six years.

“It’s time to pass the torch,” the married father of three adult children said in Brantford.

Levac’s retirement comes as other veteran Liberal MPPs are considering their options for the June 7, 2018 election.

As the Star revealed last month, at least a dozen are mulling over not running again due to concerns that Premier Kathleen Wynne, who trails Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown and NDP Leader Andrea Horwath in public-opinion polls, may cost them their seats.

But Levac insisted he is not among them.

“My retirement from provincial politics is made knowing some will question or even use my announcement against my party and my leader. That would be unfortunate and wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth,” he said.

“Simply put, between my career as an educator and provincial politics, I will be in my 45th year of public service in 2018.”

In a statement, Wynne noted that upon his retirement Levac “will have been the longest serving speaker in the history of the Ontario Legislature.”

“It is hard to fathom just how much Dave Levac will be missed when he retires from provincial politics in 2018,” the premier said.

“I know all of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle will miss Dave’s steady hand, principled approach and calm demeanour.”

A gentle and genial giant, the imposing Levac has generally been a tough but fair speaker, censuring Liberals, Progressive Conservatives, and New Democrats alike when they get out of line.

He presided over the fractious minority Legislature from October 2011 until May 2014, and his 2012 contempt ruling related to the Liberals’ cancelled gas plants in Oakville and Mississauga raised the ire of then-premier Dalton McGuinty’s top aides.

“Dave is putting the member from Brant on notice that we need better here,” McGuinty’s deputy chief of staff Laura Miller said in an email that referred to the then-premier’s powerful director of operations, Dave Gene.

She was expressing concern that Levac had ruled there was a case for contempt against Chris Bentley, who was then the energy minister, because documents had not been released to a legislative committee investigating the gas plants.

After Miller’s missive became public, Levac pointed out that “the fact that the ruling did stand should also speak for itself.”

“While I believe it is important to consider the various sides of an issue, I have never felt unable to make an informed, objective and procedurally sound decision, free of political interference,” he said at the time.

Miller, who has denied any wrongdoing, will go on trial in September for breach of trust, mischief in relation to data, and misuse of a computer system after allegations emails linked to the gas plants were deleted.

McGuinty’s last chief of staff, David Livingston, is also going to trial, but the former premier himself was not a subject of the investigation and co-operated with police throughout their probe.

Including the speaker, there are 57 Liberals in the 107-member Legislature, 29 Progressive Conservatives, 20 New Democrats and one vacancy, in Sault Ste. Marie, which will be filled in a June 1 byelection.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/05/05/queens-park-speaker-not-seeking-re-election.html
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'It's time to pass the torch': Brant MPP Dave Levac

By Michael-Allan Marion, Brantford Expositor

Friday, May 5, 2017 6:21:59 EDT PM

An emotional Brant MPP Dave Levac, flanked by his daughters Rachel (left) and Nicole, announces before a roomful of people in the Brantford Club on Friday his decision not to seek re-election in the 2018 provincial election. (Michael-Allan Marion/The Expositor)

Brant MPP Dave Levac is retiring from provincial politics at the end of the current term of office in June 2018.

"It's time to pass the torch," the five-term Liberal MPP and Speaker of the legislature said Friday morning at the Brantford Club on George Street.

Flanked by his daughters, Rachel and Nicole, Levac, 63, read a statement to a room filled with family, friends and politicians of all levels to announced that he will not seek re-election next year.

Levac said he has informed the Brantford-Brant Liberal provincial riding association of his decision, allowing its executive to set up the process to choose a new candidate.

But he will continue to serve the riding and continue as Speaker.

"My retirement from provincial politics is made knowing some will question or even use my announcement against me, my family, my party and my leader," Levac said.

"That would be unfortunate and wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth. Simply put, between my career as an educator and provincial politics, I will be in my 45th year of public service in 2018."

Departing briefly from his statement, Levac said that he plans to be active over the next year.

"I'm not a lame duck," he said.

"There's still a year left. I still have a few tricks up my sleeve."

Levac thanked his family, including his daughters and son Joe "for their graceful patience, support and love during my constant time away from them" during his 19-year stint as MPP.

He expressed particular gratitude to his wife, Rosemarie, who was at another engagement.

"She is my rock!" he declared.

He also thanked his staff at Queen's Park and at his constituency office.

Levac read a letter he wrote to Premier Kathleen Wynne, informing her of his retirement plans.

"Premier, I have respected and supported your leadership from the beginning. Before that I have come to know you as a passionate, caring, bright woman," he said.

"Most of all, I value our friendship."

Wynne texted a statement, which Levac read from his phone. It lauded his decades of service, his effectiveness as Speaker, and remarked on their friendship.

Wynne said the fact that Levac was elected to that role in 2011 on the second ballot with "resounding" support from all parties is a testament to his reputation.

"Over the last six years he has proven himself to be one of the most effective Speakers in modern history," Wynne said in a statement. "And when Dave retires at the end of this legislative session, he will have been the longest serving Speaker in the history of the Ontario legislature. I know all of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle will miss Dave's steady hand, principled approach and calm demeanour."

Then Levac read another letter, this one to Chris Roehrig, director of education of Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board, informing him that he won't be returning to the teaching career he left to enter politics.

He explained that he got a leave of absence from the school board in 1999 and must formally resign.

He also publicly thanked two long-time Liberal organizers -- Rob Campbell, who managed his first election campaign in 1999, and former city councillor Vince Bucci, who managed the other four campaigns in 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2014.

After the Liberals came to power in 2003, he served in various parliamentary assistant roles before becoming Speaker.

Before entering politics, Levac worked as an elementary school teacher and principal.

Also showing support were Brantford-Brant Conservative MP Phil McColeman, Six Nations elected Chief Ava Hill, Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation Chief Stacey Laforme, Brantford Mayor Chris Friel, Brant County Mayor Ron Eddy and city Coun. David Neumann. Each commented about the valued relationships they built with Levac.

Levac said that they have become a group of friends working together for the benefit of the Brantford, Brant, Six Nations and New Credit.

McColeman said that he and Levac may differ over party politics but Levac regular visits his home, including spending time with McColeman's son, Jordan, who has special needs.

Hill said she found Friday's announcement an emotional one. She thanked Levac for giving Six Nations a presence at Queen's Park.

Laforme handed Levac a black windbreaker emblazoned with the New Credit logo. The MPP put it on to show it fit, and Laforme shook his hand.

Levac said that the riding's next MPP should realize that "nothing is done by one person alone."

In an interview, he said that he has no definite plans for his future.

"There are a few pokers n the fire but nothing firm yet," he said.

Probably the first thing he will do after he retires is "sleep," he added.

During the next year, he said he wants to bring see a detox rehabilitation centre open in the riding, improve mental health services and see the rebuilding of the emergency room at Brantford General Hospital.

"I would only hope that whoever gets elected for whatever party that he or she refrains from being partisan," he said.

"This riding does not like partisan politics. Play in the sandbox together. Don't try to do it alone. Be a leader in pulling people together."

The provincial election will be held on June 7, 2018. So far, in Brantford-Brant, the Progressive Conservatives have selected Brant Coun. Willem Bouma as their candidate and Brantford resident Rob Ferguson will represent the Libertarian party. Brantford resident Nicholas Archer aid he intends to represent the None of the Above Party. The New Democrats and Greens have yet to announce plans for nomination meetings.

http://www.brantfordexpositor......dave-levac
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberal Speaker Dave Levac won't run in next election

The Canadian Press

Friday, May 5, 2017 12:25:33 EDT PM

Speaker of the legislature and Brant Liberal MPP Dave Levac in his chair at Queen's Park in 2012. (Brian Thompson/Postmedia Network files)

BRANTFORD - The Liberal Speaker of Ontario’s legislature won’t run again for his Brant seat in next year’s election.

Premier Kathleen Wynne’s Liberal government has been struggling in the polls, but Dave Levac said Friday his decision is not an indictment of the party.

“My retirement from provincial politics is made knowing some will question or even use my announcement against my party and my leader,” he said. “That would be unfortunate and wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth. Simply put, between my career as an educator and provincial politics, I will be in my 45th year of public service in 2018.”

Levac has been the legislature’s Speaker since 2011, taking a firm though sometimes futile stand against politicians’ heckling in question period.

Wynne said the fact that Levac was elected to that role on the second ballot with “resounding” support from all parties is a testament to his reputation.

“Over the last six years he has proven himself to be one of the most effective Speakers in modern history,” Wynne said in a statement. “And when Dave retires at the end of this legislative session, he will have been the longest serving Speaker in the history of the Ontario legislature. I know all of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle will miss Dave’s steady hand, principled approach and calm demeanour.”

Levac was first elected to represent Brant in 1999, and after the Liberals came to power in 2003 he served in various parliamentary assistant roles before becoming Speaker.

Before entering politics, Levac worked as an elementary school teacher and principal.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/05.....t-election
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Levac will be 64 at the next Provincial Election;

He is also running in what has been a competitive riding the last two elections and a Federal Riding that has gone pretty safely CPC since 2008.

If Patrick Brown wants to form a majority, Brant is one of the seats you should be winning fairly early into the evening.

I don't know if the PCs have picked a candidate yet (RCO would likely know) but if its looking like its a riding that wouldn't be retained I can understand why Levac would retire now than closer to election day.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Dave Levac will be 64 at the next Provincial Election;

He is also running in what has been a competitive riding the last two elections and a Federal Riding that has gone pretty safely CPC since 2008.

If Patrick Brown wants to form a majority, Brant is one of the seats you should be winning fairly early into the evening.

I don't know if the PCs have picked a candidate yet (RCO would likely know) but if its looking like its a riding that wouldn't be retained I can understand why Levac would retire now than closer to election day.

Will Bouma was nominated a few weeks ago for the Ontario pc's , don't really know that much about him . think the last time Brant was pc provincially was 1995 . its the type of riding the pc's need to do better in , Brantford is the type of small city that should be rejecting what Wynne is selling . as many of the other smaller cities in south western Ontario have already abandoned the liberals ( Windsor , Sarnia , Niagara Falls , St Thomas )

the ndp also have a large base in Brant , seem to recall it was targeted heavily at federal level . Horwath is also from Hamilton which is next door , so it seem like a riding the provincial ndp might also take a run at . if they can't make in roads in the riding , be a sign there is something wrong with what there selling .

Jump to: