Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Trudeau better at Pop culture than Parliament Reply with quote

( first time I've ever posted an article from the " entertainment " section but this piece from the Toronto star has some surprisingly good points and highly critical of trudeau and the way he is acting )

Entertainment

Justin Trudeau better at pop culture than Parliament: Menon

Like Donald Trump, Trudeau is fixated with the extracurricular parts of their jobs, the parts that involve waltzing into the spotlight.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie Gregoire Trudeau take to the stage to introduce a tribute to Leonard Cohen at the Juno awards show Sunday April 2, 2017 in Ottawa.

By Vinay Menon Columnist

Mon., April 3, 2017

Justin Trudeau was not elected to be a pop-culture dynamo.

But here we are, about 18 months after the federal election, and our Prime Minister is most certainly our Prime Celebrity. At the Juno Awards on Sunday night, the first blast of teen screaming echoed in the opening skit, when Trudeau was depicted phoning co-host Bryan Adams with a special request.

“Can you play ‘Summer of ’69’?” he asked. “I love that song.”

Joined by wife Sophie Grégoire, Trudeau also showed up later in the broadcast, introducing a tribute to the late Leonard Cohen. Just before strolling on stage, cameras caught him clutching a mic and belting out a Blue Rodeo classic:

“Yeah, if we’re lost/ Then we are lost together.”

Trudeau was all over the news this weekend for everything except governing.

On Saturday, April Fool’s Day, he issued a fake challenge to Matthew Perry after the Friends actor raised eyebrows last month by confessing to Jimmy Kimmel that he once “beat up” Trudeau when the two were classmates in Ottawa.

“I’ve been giving it some thought, and you know what, who hasn’t wanted to punch Chandler?” tweeted Trudeau. “How about a rematch @MatthewPerry?”

This was a joke. But if Perry had not politely declined — “@JustinTrudeau I think I will pass at your request for a rematch kind sir (given that you currently have an army at your disposal),” he tweeted on Sunday — is it really a stretch to imagine a PR-driven escalation in mock hostilities ending with a charity boxing match that, once again, showcases Trudeau’s celebrity instincts?

It is not, because Trudeau’s celebrity instincts are now his dominant trait.

Whether he’s squiring Ivanka Trump to Come From Away on Broadway or filming a testimonial for CBC’s Canada: The Story of Us, Trudeau’s embrace of entertainment as a branding vehicle outpaces any former prime minister. In an age of selfies and social media, against a backdrop of sound bites and photo-ops, he’s a natural: a purported do-gooder who looks good in the spotlight.

That is, until the house lights come on and you wonder if we are lost together.

Supporters will argue Trudeau is a blessing to Canada, a superstar on the world stage who earns glowing praise and an attention we’re not used to getting. He’s name-checked by Hollywood elite, he’s deified by Vogue, he can hijack the news just by removing his shirt or levitating in a yoga pose.

But this is an argument based on image. Any argument based on substance, which is chiefly a domestic concern, can’t possibly be so favourable, as Trudeau cements his celebrity status at the expense of preventing campaign promises from cracking up.

If governing is like parenting, Trudeau is now showing up for family movie night and birthday parties, but skipping the parts that involve helping with homework or contributing to an RESP. He talks a good game about culture even as he fails to deliver on a promise to increase funding for Telefilm and the National Film Board of Canada. Other cultural vows remain “in progress,” but given the number of broken promises so far — on deficits, electoral reform, refugee targets — Trudeau’s early track record should not warrant absolute faith.

The nexus of entertainment and politics is not new. But what we are now witnessing on both sides of the border are leaders who are largely playing roles. In this sense, Donald Trump and Trudeau are more alike than either’s camp might care to admit. They are both fixated with the extracurricular parts of their jobs, the parts that involve waltzing into the spotlight.

Personally, I think both Canada and the United States should elect two candidates every election cycle: one who can serve as a brand ambassador and be the celebrity. And the other who is happier to govern in the shadows of wonkish anonymity, where policy itself is the star of the show.

So Trudeau is at something of a crossroads. If he continues down the current path, as a brand ambassador for both himself and a Canadian idealism he may or may not help advance, he’ll be doing cameos in movies. He’ll be immortalized on (more) comic-book covers. He’ll have flavours of ice cream named after him. He’ll be a crossword clue, a pal to the rich and famous, a TV narrator, a matinee idol, a cutter of giant ribbons, an archetype in Cosmo sex quizzes, a fixture on red carpets, a magazine cover boy, a fashion icon, an inspiration for songs and an international object of fascination.

What he will not be is a prime minister who made a difference.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2017/04/03/justin-trudeau-better-at-pop-culture-than-parliament-menon.html
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it already obvious that he is just the hood ornament on a political machine that burns through other people's money like greased lightening?

Isn't it already obvious that he has put us on the road to another debt crisis, like his father, and that the promised benefit, a more dynamic economy, is not going to be achieved?

Isn't it obvious that not much new infrastructure is going to be built? That money is going to pay for benefits for women, in the form of a child care bonus.

All it takes is a serious economic downturn, and the present numbers will sky-rocket. I wonder what lies he will tell us then?

He's an entitled asshole who thinks he has some kind of magic fairy dust, none of it his own creation. He simply covers for the gimlet-eyed refugees from McGuinty's sinking ship. They were the first rats to jump. They're as ugly as he is pretty.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Isn't it already obvious that he is just the hood ornament on a political machine that burns through other people's money like greased lightening?

Isn't it already obvious that he has put us on the road to another debt crisis, like his father, and that the promised benefit, a more dynamic economy, is not going to be achieved?

Isn't it obvious that not much new infrastructure is going to be built? That money is going to pay for benefits for women, in the form of a child care bonus.

All it takes is a serious economic downturn, and the present numbers will sky-rocket. I wonder what lies he will tell us then?

He's an entitled asshole who thinks he has some kind of magic fairy dust, none of it his own creation. He simply covers for the gimlet-eyed refugees from McGuinty's sinking ship. They were the first rats to jump. They're as ugly as he is pretty.

I agree that Trudeau is just a pretty face or a hood ornament as you say for the liberals . just there to look pretty and given free will to travel all over the country to various events .

but then who is really running the party ? the former liberals who ran Ontario into the ground and into debt forever ? Gerard Butts and friends ?

or have some of the Paul Martin and Chretien liberals returned and running the backrooms

whoever is running the party feels they have free rein to do whatever , the sudden parliamentary rule changes and cancelling tory tax credits for no given reason are prime examples . there getting more mean and now is the time to go after the people who worked against the liberals when they lost from 2006-2011 ( the opposition mp's and gun owners as examples )
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who is running'the Liberal Party, but it is probably a committee made up of cabinet members -- but then there's the question of whose tune they dance to. I would only be speculating on that.

But this is why I thought the abrupt dismissal of Dion and MacCallum was so significant. They were probably influential, and more cautious than Butts and his gang, witth more regard for the financing of government. It smells to me like a palace coup. Think of it, two of the more senior members of the cabinet were abruptly given their walking papers and plum patronage positions to ease the pain. Why? MacCallum was doing well in immigration. I am less sure of Dion.

Probably because they were offerng some restraint on another faction, one that has Trudeau's ear. It would be fascinating to know the real politics of this, the acts which take place behind the curtain.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a talking Justin Trudeau doll is now for sale , I didn't make this up )

Talking, bendable Justin Trudeau doll for sale

The doll says phrases like "Canada is a country strong not in spite of our differences but because of them."

A screen image of the talking Justin Trudeau doll.

By Azzura LalaniStaff Reporter

Wed., April 5, 2017

Now you can do more than just take a selfie with the prime minister.

A new talking and fully bendable Justin Trudeau doll is being sold by The Bradford Exchange, a company specializing in unique and limited edition collectibles.

“We were not aware of this item, nor were we involved in any way in its creation or distribution,” said Cameron Ahmad, the press secretary for the Prime Minister’s Office.

The doll, which costs $129.99 plus shipping and handling, stands about 10 cm taller than a Barbie doll at 38.1 cm and is handcrafted.

It is billed as a “fine adult collectible, not intended for children under 14,” sports a white dress shirt, tie, overcoat, scarf, pants, shoes and comes with a stand.

And with the push of a button, boasts the doll’s product page on the website, Trudeau will say “phrases like “A positive, optimistic, hopeful vision of public life isn’t a naive dream, it can be a powerful force for change,” “Canada is a country strong not in spite of our differences but because of them,” and more.

A customer service representative for the company said the dolls began being advertised in February and likely won’t be delivered until the early fall or late summer.

In March, Global Affairs Canada made headlines after instructing its diplomatic missions in the U.S. to stop promoting the country with life-size cut-outs of Trudeau.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/04/05/talking-bendable-justin-trudeau-doll-for-sale.html
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I don't know who is running'the Liberal Party, but it is probably a committee made up of cabinet members -- but then there's the question of whose tune they dance to. I would only be speculating on that.

But this is why I thought the abrupt dismissal of Dion and MacCallum was so significant. They were probably influential, and more cautious than Butts and his gang, witth more regard for the financing of government. It smells to me like a palace coup. Think of it, two of the more senior members of the cabinet were abruptly given their walking papers and plum patronage positions to ease the pain. Why? MacCallum was doing well in immigration. I am less sure of Dion.

Probably because they were offerng some restraint on another faction, one that has Trudeau's ear. It would be fascinating to know the real politics of this, the acts which take place behind the curtain.

there was some speculation that the removal of Maccallum was being done to create an opening for Mary Ng the liberal who won the by election in his old riding .

I think there is some truth to those rumours as she didn't even live in the riding but though she'd make a good fit cause she's Chinese . whatever reasons she had got bored with the PMO office and decided she wanted an actual seat

I know Dion had been critical of some issues , seem to recall he came out strongly against an extradition treaty with China , even though trudeau hadn't so much explained his position . I do agree its possible he had simply wore out his welcome among the other top liberals and they decided it was time he moved on
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny ways turn to secrecy and control

Postmedia Network

First posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 08:24 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 08:30 PM EDT

Justin Trudeau gave voters the impression he was turning a page on what he portrayed as the dark and secretive ways of the former Conservative government.

Sunny ways was all the rage. But Prime Minister Trudeau has not delivered.

Recent reports reveal he’s treating Parliament as nothing more than a tool to ram through his agenda, opposition support be damned.

During the Stephen Harper years it was popular to decry so-called omnibus bills.

These are pieces of proposed legislation hundreds of pages long that cover multiple issues.

Break them down, critics said. If the average Canadian can’t read and understand legislation with relative ease, who’s to say they’re not being hoodwinked by what’s in the pages?

The Liberal campaign platform from 2015 even pledged to “bring an end to this undemocratic practice".

But on Tuesday, the Liberal government tabled a sweeping budget bill over 300 pages long.

It doesn’t just include passing the Liberal budget document, but touches upon other government functions as well.

So much for real change.

Meanwhile, Trudeau is showing control freak tendencies as his government tries to ram through changes to the Standing Orders.

These are the rules in place that determine just how laws get passed.

The opposition proposed requiring all-party support to change how Parliament works.

Makes sense to us.

But Trudeau’s team voted against it. They want complete control.

Conservative MP Candice Bergen called it “arrogant”. NDP MP Murray Rankin labelled it a “power grab”.

Then there are all those buried numbers by the Liberals.

Like the finance department calculations that showed we’re on track for deficits until the 2050s.

Or the true costs to taxpayers of Trudeau’s luxury winter break vacation on the private, Bahamas island of the super-rich Aga Khan.

Or the fact the Liberals won’t release a report that shows how much a national carbon tax is expected to raid average Canadians’ wallets annually.

Trudeau promised transparency and accountability but has instead delivered his own version of secrecy and control.

It’s not what Canadians voted for and it’s not a sunnier approach to governing.

On their own, these individual examples might not stick with voters.

But together, they’re creating an impression people won’t easily forget.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....nd-control

Jump to: