Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: What is the point of a country? Reply with quote

Why have countries?
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the point of a country? Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Why have countries?

mutual values, physical and economic security? Colourful banners to wave around?
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, before you answer that you have to define what a country is, which can be a headache.

You have to identify if you mean county as in "a state" or country as in "a geographic area within which reside people with a common culture, language, and history" (which is similar to a "nation" which opens up a whole new can of worms".

Even those definitions are tricky.

For example, you could argue that Scotland is a country and in some ways even the UK and EUrecognized that.

That being said, if you mean county/state, then a lot of people will say that the primary duty of the of a country is the protection of its people.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I'm hearing words like "values" and "economics" and the need to protect its people. But why? Why protect my people and not those people. Why are they "my people". Doesn't blood enter the equation somewhere along the line? Weren't countries traditionally extensions of tribes or clans which were essentially large extended families. I know I would fight for my family. But why would I fight for someone else's family?

Is the concept of country being eroded by global homogenization?

If you say "values". How do you know that the 300,000 people entering your country every year share your values? Most come from countries that don't have similar value systems as Canada. So how can you define "country" as common values? Shouldn't we, at the very least, screen immigrants to ensure that they do share our values?

Personally, I think the concept of nation does have to do with security (economic and life). But in order to protect that security the concept of nation needs to be flexible. Being patriotic for the sake of preserving the term "Canada" is silly. Our security can best be preserved by forming a union with the United States. The world is changing and keeping artificial boundaries for the sake of nostalgia or pride is silly.
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Countries are traditionally an extension of the natural human tendency to come together with groups of like-minded people. Basically, countries allow human beings to be more efficient - an extension of economics.

Quote:
Is the concept of country being eroded by global homogenization?

I think it is being slowly eroded, yes..

Quote:
How do you know that the 300,000 people entering your country every year share your values?

The hope is that those people will share fundamental values . . . In our case it is freedom of speech/religion, democracy, human rights, "equality"(or sense of this is rather perverted from actual equality, but we're working on it) and the like...
Of course, there are some differences, but the idea is that the people entering will have the same fundamental ideals.

I agree with your suggestion of a union with the United States - however, I think it would be best to avoid a direct union; possibly an economic union similar to the EU. Of course, with many of the people in this country disliking anything american, it would be difficult to accomplish. And I think the American's are begining to shake their head at Canada's foreign policy. Guess we'll see what happens if the Dems win...
Maranatha07

Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read an excerpt from a book discussing the history and evolution of French language it was amazing, the little I've read of it. It states the prominence of Language in cultural bonds. It sounds commonsensical, but they went to great depth explaining how much more in common France has with Quebec and her former colonies than she seems to have with other european countries that speak different languages. Language plays a big part in what people believe. some languages do not have words for some of the basic things we understand.
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maranatha07 wrote:
I just read an excerpt from a book discussing the history and evolution of French language it was amazing, the little I've read of it. It states the prominence of Language in cultural bonds. It sounds commonsensical, but they went to great depth explaining how much more in common France has with Quebec and her former colonies than she seems to have with other european countries that speak different languages. Language plays a big part in what people believe. some languages do not have words for some of the basic things we understand.

Of course, with the spread of language comes the spread of religion/ideals as well. Is it not just as likely that it is based on ideology and origins and not just the language?
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The evolution of the nation state is of supreme importance in understanding not just history but current events.
Fixed Boarders which can not be changed. Look at a map of Africa 100 years ago and one of Africa today. So many of our colnflicts are due to this.
Once a country is created the groups have to share the resources. Further in many cases a minority was dominate but now this comes to be seen as something that has to be changed.
Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that the institution of the nation-state will survive this century. As Craig has pointed out, the original reasons for the existence of nation-states are beginning to disappear. Part of the reason for this is liberalism and multi-culturalism, but the main reason is the tangled web of exchange and the extensive division of labor. Humans now interact on a global basis, blurring the lines of division that used to exist.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Point of having Countries is the establishment of a Nation and a Republic in doing so the Peoples share moral values and the 3 Rights of Selfs as well as the four freedoms.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:
The hope is that those people will share fundamental values

So we have our fingers crossed?

Jump to: