Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

is Kevin O'leary one of your top choices or last choice ?
my top choice or one of my top choices
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
not sure / undecided
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
my last choice or near the bottom of list
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

If O'Leary was able to for a moment establish he wasn't another Iggy who had no interest in building the party simply showed up to be ushered into 24 Sussex and bolted after it didn't work out.

I agree -- this is the best argument against O'Leary in my book. I like Bernier myself, because he is as genuinely conservative as any, and he is a French-Canadian.

If he were to become leader, the Conservatives chances in Quebec would increase dramatically. At least that would be my expectation.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

If O'Leary was able to for a moment establish he wasn't another Iggy who had no interest in building the party simply showed up to be ushered into 24 Sussex and bolted after it didn't work out.

I agree -- this is the best argument against O'Leary in my book. I like Bernier myself, because he is as genuinely conservative as any, and he is a French-Canadian.

If he were to become leader, the Conservatives chances in Quebec would increase dramatically. At least that would be my expectation.

Bernier is an interesting option;
My biggest concern is that its hard to maintain support in Quebec without placating Quebec which is challenging because it hurts you in Ontario and the West.

Last time a Conservative Government relied on Quebec to govern it resulted in the rejuvenation of the Reform Party and birth of the BQ and the near destruction of the PCs

Even now the nearly half the Liberal caucus in Quebec (17 of 40 seats) are there with less than 40% of the popular vote with several less than 30% in their ridings.

I look at Bernier as being in the same situation as Ignatieff in 2006 at the Liberal Leadership Convention,

He has a lot of external support, is signing up a lot of members, but doesn't seem to have internal support and may very well plateau after the first round as folks fall off the ballot and section choices are calculated.

But who knows?
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the wrong analysis. You have to bribe (placate?) less if the leader is a French-speaking quebecois.

It isn't just a matter of speaking French -- you could call that the Joe Clark mistake. John Turner spoke fluent French, and had the anti-free trade issue to campaign on, and he lost big. partly because Mulroney spoke Quebec French. It's a matter of trust as much as a matter of language.

Another example: Jack Layton spoke Quebec French even if he was rusty. All the other leaders spoke passably good French, but it was the French you learn in classrooms, not in the playground.

In Quebec, language stands in for anti-Anglo fears. It plays a similar role that anti-American sentiments play in Anglo-Canada. It's the parochial side of the population.

Is there any reason to believe that Bernier wants to conduct another raid on the treasury for Quebec's benefit? I don't think he's another Mulroney.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: