Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RCO





Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 6283
Reputation: 229.2
votes: 3
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: help for MP's facing threats and harassment Reply with quote

( its unclear what exactly they are proposing to do , its a difficult issue legally , as an mp has to be open and accessible to there constituents and cannot legally deny them access or not accept mail from them . unless there under a court order not to contact them or something . mp's also have to have public phone numbers and email addresses all of which are available to anyone )


Liberals consider help for MPs facing threats, harassment, even death threats


Some MPs have noted an uptick in hate letters and phone calls in the wake of anti-Islamophobia motion.


Liberal MP Iqra Khalid is welcomed by her colleagues as she arrives to make an announcement about an anti-Islamophobia motion on Parliament Hill in Ottawa.



By Alex BoutilierOttawa Bureau Reporter

Sun., March 5, 2017



OTTAWA—The Liberal government is considering help for MPs facing increased harassment, hatred, even death threats after the backlash to an anti-Islamophobia motion.

The Star has learned the Liberal cabinet will consider ways to help MPs from any party grappling with hatred and harassment at their offices.

The Prime Minister’s Office said they could not confirm nor deny any issues that may be before cabinet. But in a statement, a PMO spokesperson, Cameron Ahmad, said the government is “eager” to work with MPs to make sure their workplaces are free from intimidation.

“Every member of Parliament — and indeed, every Canadian — is entitled to work and live in an environment that is free of hate speech and the threat of violence,” Ahmad wrote.

“As always, we remain eager to work alongside MPs, including opposition members, to tackle any form of hate or threat to ensure all MPs and their staff are guaranteed a safe working environment.”

Angry constituents and irate letters or phone calls are a fact of politics at any level. But some MPs have reported more disturbing, racially or religiously charged comments their staff have had to field.

Iqra Khalid, the Mississauga MP who introduced a motion condemning Islamophobia, told the House of Commons last month that thousands of such messages flooded her offices in response to the motion.

Khalid read into the record one particular message, calling her an “idiot” and “scumbag,” and suggested the author would film somebody shooting her.

“You are going to see what the uncivilized Canadians out their take exception to. I’m not going to help them shoot you, I’m going to be there to film you on the ground crying,” Khalid recited, calling the message “the tip of the iceberg.”

Khalid’s non-binding motion asked the Commons to condemn and study Islamophobia, as well as all forms of religious discrimination.

Omar Alghabra, another Mississauga MP and the parliamentary secretary to foreign affairs, said his primary concern in dealing with these comments is his staff, who have to receive and process the calls, emails and social media posts.

“I’m the political candidate and I’m the representative, and I expect people will be saying sometimes tough things towards me, but I want to make sure that my staff who has maybe never seen this before . . . are protected, and know that everything is OK,” Alghabra said.

“Especially the calls. (Staff are) the ones who are dealing with them.”

Alghabra said he considers the backlash against Khalid’s anti-Islamophobia motion is an “unfortunate reaction to a campaign of misinformation and ignorance.”

He said he purposely does not delete the comments he receives on his Facebook page — people suggesting he’s an “enemy within,” calling him a “stupid fool” and suggesting the Liberals are pushing Islamic religious law on Canadians.

“I think it just continues the need for us to have this conversation (about Islamophobia),” Alghabra said.

Heather Bradley, a spokesperson for Speaker Geoff Regan, said the House of Commons would consider requests from MPs for resources to address harassment or hate speech.

“The process would be (the MP) would go to the (Board of Internal Economy),” Bradley said on Friday, referring to the committee that handles financial and administrative matters for the House of Commons.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/05/liberals-consider-help-for-mps-facing-threats-harassment-even-death-threats.html#pq=OTWuQF
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 4151
Reputation: 238.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hatred" seems to be one of those in-the-eye-of-the-beholder things. What are they going to do except give some agent the right to get heavy with ordinary citizens, who often are unnuanced in their assertions?

Why can't they suffice with the same protections the rest of us have to make do with?

Or should what is purportedly our 'representative' have the right to muzzle other voices?
RCO





Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 6283
Reputation: 229.2
votes: 3
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
"Hatred" seems to be one of those in-the-eye-of-the-beholder things. What are they going to do except give some agent the right to get heavy with ordinary citizens, who often are unnuanced in their assertions?

Why can't they suffice with the same protections the rest of us have to make do with?

Or should what is purportedly our 'representative' have the right to muzzle other voices?



its a tricky issue cause some mp's have been getting many abusive comments , I have seen some of them posted online , not only liberals but many conservatives as well . my mp posted or retweeted a death threat comment he got recently on twitter , some of the stuff being posted is rather horrible but often comes from " anounamous
accounts " and hard to determine who sent it


but its a very difficult issue due to the fact mp's are obligated to be accessible and in contact with there constituents even if they don't agree with there point of view , they are still allowed to contact them and mp's are expected to reply
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 4151
Reputation: 238.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose some small proportion of the people who say nasty and unflattering things about politicians act on those feelings ... but it is small. In Canada, I can't remember any politicians, and we've had a few whose necks I'd have gladly wrung just because they were so annoying. (Does anyone remember Svend Robinson from back when 'gays' were still 'homos'?) But if I'd met him, I'd suck up, just like everyone else.

If they make an actual threat, that's covered by the criminal code. People go to jail for that. Why do MPs need more than that?[/u]
RCO





Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 6283
Reputation: 229.2
votes: 3
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPs under threat should call the cops


POSTMEDIA NETWORK


First posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 06:08 PM EST | Updated: Monday, March 06, 2017 09:47 PM EST


Last month, Liberal MP Iqra Khalid rose in the House of Commons to read a selection of the many nasty, racist and harassing messages she’d received since putting forward her motion on Islamophobia.

A number of them appear to have been outright death threats.

It should go without saying this is despicable.

But, unfortunately, it needs to be said anyway.

And in response, a recent story by the Toronto Star suggested the Liberal cabinet is now considering “ways to help MPs from any party grappling with hatred and harassment at their offices.”

We have nothing but sympathy for the alarm and frustration Khalid must have felt after having been a recipient of such pointed and vile animosity.

But surely the PMO does not believe it can create a Parliamentary “safe space” for politicians?

Elected officials across the country are regularly on the receiving end of vitriolic letters, voicemails and emails from constituents.

Politics breeds controversy and too many feel emboldened to say things in emails and on social media they would never express face to face.

Needless to say, politicians should, and no doubt do, ignore a great number of hateful and ill-conceived messages that come their way.

However, when it comes to apparent or genuine threats, there is no excuse for an individual making those threats.

There needs to be action. The Criminal Code is there to protect our politicians, as much as it is to protect average members of the public, from threats.

If Khalid, in airing the awful things that were said about her meant it as a rhetorical exercise, akin to how celebrities read mean tweets about themselves on late night television and, by so doing, mock the tweeters making them, that’s fair game.

But if she was genuinely concerned about her safety, we would urge her, and all politicians on the receiving end of such threats, to call the police.

If MPs are upset merely by mean messages, they should develop thicker skins, or seek support from professionals within the health care system.

But if they’re frightened by threats they’ve received, that warrants a serious response.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....l-the-cops
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 4151
Reputation: 238.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Member of Parliament Iqra Khalid is an Islamist Hypocrite

“These women may even enjoy being beaten at times as a sign of love and concern.”

MP Iqra Khalid cannot advance the cause of extremist Islam on one hand and then complain about Islamophobia on the other. Her direct connections to Islamist front groups means she must either publicly disavow extremist groups such as Jamaah e Islami and the Muslim Brotherhood, or withdraw her motion.

Iqra Khalid is the Liberal Member of Parliament for Mississauga-Erindale, elected in 2015. She recently tabled a motion in the House of Commons which would “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination.”

Clearly, the intent of her motion is not to address issues of discrimination, but rather to silence anyone who speaks out against Islamists in Canada.

For instance, Irqa Khalid was President of the Muslim Student Association when she was a student at York University (early 2000s). The Muslim Student Association was founded by adherents of the Muslim Brotherhood in 1963. The Muslim Student Association has a series of alumni who have become suicide bombers, ISIS fighters and ISIS propagandists.

The Muslim Student Association at York University handed out a book at Islam Awareness Week with the title “Women in Islam & Refutation of some Common Misconceptions.” The chapter on WIFE DISCIPLINING (page 99 of the online version) makes the following observation: Submissive or subdued women. These women may even enjoy being beaten at times as a sign of love and concern.
http://tsecnetwork.ca/2017/01/.....hypocrite/


The woman joins in an effort to extra protection from the law and complains when people react with anger.
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 4151
Reputation: 238.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Member of Parliament Iqra Khalid is an Islamist Hypocrite

“These women may even enjoy being beaten at times as a sign of love and concern.”

MP Iqra Khalid cannot advance the cause of extremist Islam on one hand and then complain about Islamophobia on the other. Her direct connections to Islamist front groups means she must either publicly disavow extremist groups such as Jamaah e Islami and the Muslim Brotherhood, or withdraw her motion.

Iqra Khalid is the Liberal Member of Parliament for Mississauga-Erindale, elected in 2015. She recently tabled a motion in the House of Commons which would “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination.”

Clearly, the intent of her motion is not to address issues of discrimination, but rather to silence anyone who speaks out against Islamists in Canada.

For instance, Irqa Khalid was President of the Muslim Student Association when she was a student at York University (early 2000s). The Muslim Student Association was founded by adherents of the Muslim Brotherhood in 1963. The Muslim Student Association has a series of alumni who have become suicide bombers, ISIS fighters and ISIS propagandists.

The Muslim Student Association at York University handed out a book at Islam Awareness Week with the title “Women in Islam & Refutation of some Common Misconceptions.” The chapter on WIFE DISCIPLINING (page 99 of the online version) makes the following observation: Submissive or subdued women. These women may even enjoy being beaten at times as a sign of love and concern.
http://tsecnetwork.ca/2017/01/.....hypocrite/


The woman joins in an effort to extra protection from the law and complains when people react with anger.
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 589
Reputation: 91Reputation: 91
votes: 3
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
(Does anyone remember Svend Robinson from back when 'gays' were still 'homos'?) But if I'd met him,[i] I'd suck up[/i], just like everyone else.

[/u]


Im not everyone else.

Lovely choice of words there. Something youd like to come out and admit?
Bugs





Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 4151
Reputation: 238.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ever interested in a 'golden shower', I would be my pleasure to indulge you. ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1

  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


help for MP's facing threats and harassment

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB