Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Ontario Government wins award for wasteful spending Reply with quote

( not a shock to anyone who follows politics , the Ontario government has won an award for wasteful spending )

Ontario government mocked for wasteful spending with ‘awards’ from taxpayers federation

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation has announced the annual waste award winners, which include the Government of Ontario’s energy policy and electric vehicle incentive.

The Government of Ontario has been singled out by a spending watchdog for its alleged mishandling of the province's energy policy and for an electric vehicle incentive program, which critics say provides subsidies for luxury cars.

By The Canadian Press

Wed., Feb. 22, 2017

OTTAWA—Ontario’s government, the City of Victoria and Canada Revenue Agency have won awards for wasteful government spending, as judged by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

The federation has announced the annual Teddy Government Waste Award winners, handing two of the pig-shaped trophies to the Government of Ontario.

One is for the province’s electric vehicle incentive program, which the federation says provides subsidies for luxury cars, while the other is a lifetime achievement award for what the spending watchdog says is the lengthy mishandling of Ontario’s energy policy.

The City of Victoria wins the municipal waste award for the Johnson Street Bridge replacement project that the federation says has ballooned from $63 million to $105 million over five years, and is three-years behind schedule.

Canada Revenue Agency’s decision to pay an employee $538,000 in moving expenses for a 192 kilometre relocation from Richmond Hill to Belleville, Ont., nets that agency the federal Teddy award for government waste.

This is the 19th annual Teddy Award selection from the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, with trophies named for Ted Weatherill, a former federal appointee who was fired in 1999 over his bloated expense claims.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/02/22/ontario-government-mocked-for-wasteful-spending-with-awards-from-taxpayers-federation.html
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynne: I’ve earned this golden oinker!

Mike Strobel
By Mike Strobel, Toronto Sun
First posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 06:32 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 08:05 PM EST

pig
Canadian Taxpayers Federation mascot Porky the Waste Hater holds a trophy during the 19th annual Teddy Government Waste Awards announced during a news conference in Ottawa on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/PHOTO)

The provincial government has won a lifetime achievement Teddy Award for its titanic bungling of the energy file.

Congratulations, Kathleen Wynne. We’re proud of you.

The premier has not asked yet, but it behooves me as a civic duty to write her acceptance speech for such a prestigious honour in the world of government waste. I’ll charge her my charity rate. Take it off my hydro bill.

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, oh, thank you so much. I can hardly breathe, like I just ran a marathon. Thank you, members of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

I’ll speak up so you can hear me over the windmills.

This statue is s-o-o-o-o shiny!

(Gaze lovingly at Teddy Award.)

Such a beautiful sow. Look at the teats. You could feed the whole cabinet at once.

(Laugh, wink.)

But seriously. I want you all to know how deeply touched I am by this award and that I will continue trying to be worthy of it.

What an honour it is — what an HONOUR! — to have been nominated with such a sparkling group of hopelessly out-of-touch spendthrifts.

(Bat eyes in direction of fellow nominees.)

Marie Antoinette, you were so inspiring in your “let them eat cake,” scene, I got chills. We even adopted the line to justify outrageous salaries for our energy bosses, except we said: “Let them ride GO trains.”

Dear, dear, Marie Antoinette, when I think of you building that life-sized farm behind the palace just so you and your friends could play milkmaid, well I get chills — and dream of windfarms.

(Gaze out over audience.)

David Dingwall! Nice to see you. Your “entitled to my entitlements” is a classic mantra for us all to follow. That alone deserves a lifetime achievement award.

Justin, so glad you’re here. So proud to be your soulmate. Sure, I won the award this time — but your turn will come, son.

Oh, look, there’s Gwyneth Paltrow. You are soooo good. Such an example. I took your advice and no longer consume wheat, meat, dairy, eggs, articokes, shellfish, soy, sugar, coffee, alcohol, deep-water fish, or any food beginning with “c.” Yet, still manage to blow $1,500 a day in groceries using your recipes.

I try to run my government on the same principle. No coal, single-occupant cars, greenhouse gases, or orca breeding — but billions of dollars in solar power and biomass that will be flushed down the toilet to the U.S. anyway.

Yes, you are all worthy nominees but ... (gaze again at golden pig trophy) I EARNED THIS!

You think it’s easy to continually screw up the hydro file in a province with more power than it needs? It has been the performance of a lifetime! But I have not done it alone.

I’d like to thank the 7,632 Ontario Power Generation employees on the Sunshine List who total $1.07 BILLION in annual salaries, especially the execs.

A big thank you to the geniuses who hammered out Green Energy Act contracts at more than double the market price — and now dump excess power on the U.S. for a song.

Hydro One should take a bow, too, for disconnecting 1,400 customers in the dead of winter, even as electrical bills skyrocket.

True, we have relented, and those 1,400 families can now thaw out the family cat. But, darn it, we’ll soon find another way to make ’em freeze in the dark.

Last, but not least...

(Tear on cheek)

... to my mentor, my friend, my guide on the journey to this glorious moment and this golden pig, Dalton, oh, Dalton, THIS IS FOR YOU!

(Hold up pig statue, beam, and exit stage left.)

Strobel’s column usually runs Monday to Friday.

mstrobel@postmedia.com

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....den-oinker
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19th Annual Teddy Government Waste Award Winners

Federal – Canada Revenue Agency for employee’s $538,000 moving expenses
Provincial – Ontario’s Electric Vehicle Incentive Program, which provides subsidies for luxury cars
Municipal – City of Victoria for its bungled Blue Bridge project
Lifetime Achievement – The Government of Ontario for its mishandling of energy policy

OTTAWA, ON: The Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) today held its 19th annual Teddy Waste Awards ceremony, celebrating the best of the worst in government waste from the past year. CTF Federal Director Aaron Wudrick served as host, joined by the CTF’s pig mascot Porky the Waster Hater and talented event hostess Sam. The awards event took place on Parliament Hill in the Charles Lynch Press Conference Theatre.

The Teddy, the pig-shaped award given annually by the CTF to government’s worst waste offenders, is named for Ted Weatherill, a former federal appointee who was fired in 1999 for submitting a panoply of dubious expense claims, including a $700 lunch for two.

“We take our job as waste watchdogs seriously, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have some fun highlighting some of the most outrageous examples,” said Wudrick. “Especially since governments seem infinitely creative when it comes to dreaming up new ways to waste money.”

Federal Teddy Winner: The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for paying an employee $538,000 in moving expenses

A CRA moved 192km from Richmond Hill to Belleville, Ontario, and received a $538,000 moving payment. Queries to CRA revealed that $340,000 of the payment was for “price protection” on the sale of a home and $168,000 for was realtor fees. The CTF calculates taxpayers forked out half-a-million taxpayer dollars to cover the sale of a bureaucrat’s $3.4 million house.

“Suffice to say, dinging taxpayers for half a million dollars for a 200km move isn’t likely to improve the CRA’s popularity with Canadians,” said Wudrick.

Provincial Teddy Winner: Ontario’s Electric Vehicle Incentive Program

The Ontario government spent over $39 million on subsidies for electric vehicles over the past six years, including $14 million for vehicles with a retail price over $70,000. After reducing the subsidies in 2016, Tesla – whose Model S retails for $135,000 and had previously been eligible for an $8,500 taxpayer subsidy – registered a lobbyist at Queen’s Park. In February 2017, the government didn’t just revert to old subsidy, but actually raised it to $14,000 for cars between $75,000 to $150,000 – a 367% increase.

“The only thing ‘green’ about these subsidies is the colour of taxpayers’ faces after finding out they’re being forced to subsidize millionaires’ car purchases,” noted Wudrick.

Municipal Teddy Winner: The City of Victoria’s Blue Bridge

In 2009, the projected cost to replace Victoria’s 93-year-old Johnson St Bridge (“Blue Bridge”) was $63 million dollars. Fast forward to today, thanks to problems with the quality of the steel being used and several delays, and the price tag has ballooned to $105 million – an increase of $42 million – with final completion anticipated for mid-2018, a full three years behind schedule.

“At $42 million over budget, Victoria taxpayers are sure to be a lot bluer than even the Blue Bridge,” said Wudrick.

Lifetime Achievement Teddy: Government of Ontario for its mishandling of the energy file

The Government of Ontario has a long track record of mismanaging the province’s energy policy, resulting in an expensive disaster for Ontario consumers. In her 2015 Annual Report, Ontario’s Auditor General found that Ontario consumers paid an extra $37 billion above the market price for energy between 2006 and 2014, and estimated that current energy policies would cost Ontarians another $133 billion by 2032.

Such eye-watering numbers are not the result of any single policy mistake, but rather a series of ill-advised policy decisions, including long-term fixed-price energy contracts at above-market rates; the Green Energy Act (GEA), which has transferred billions from Ontario taxpayers to money-losing renewable energy providers; the promise to cancel planned gas plants in the middle of an election; a smart meter program that ran $1 billion over budget; and boneheaded decisions such as overruling the Ontario Power Authority to convert a Thunder Bay coal plant into a biomass facility that can only run on imported wood chips from Norway, generating electricity at 25 times the normal cost.

“The Ontario government has a proud tradition of ignoring their policy failures and lurching blindly on to the next one – as their decision to impose a new cap-and-trade system for carbon emissions, which the Auditor General says will increase electricity prices by around 25% - clearly shows.” said Wudrick

Other nominees included:

Federal – The Department of Canadian Heritage for commissioning a $14,000 survey on Parliament Hill’s Christmas light show

Federal – The Department of Agriculture and Agri-Food which together with the Manitoba government gave Maple Leaf Foods $500,000 to expand bacon production at their Winnipeg plant

Provincial – The Government of Nova Scotia for subsidizing improvements to the Portland, Maine ferry terminal and losing millions on a service intended to boost tourism

Provincial – The Government of Quebec for paying a political appointee $180,000 per year for nearly four years even though she almost never went to work

Municipal – The City of Montreal for spending $3.45 million to install 27 granite tree stumps in Mount Royal Park

Municipal – Former County of Richmond, Nova Scotia, CAO Warren Olsen for expensing taxpayers for dubious mileage claims, double dipping on meals, and $582 at two Houston strip clubs

http://www.taxpayer.com/news-r.....rd-winners
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynne earned her Teddy Award

First posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 06:44 PM EST

wynne
In their 14 years in power since 2003, first under Dalton McGuinty and now Kathleen Wynne, the Liberals have produced balanced budgets, with small surpluses, in only three, the last one in 2007-2008. (TORONTO SUN/FILES)

In the life of any ill-conceived government program there comes a moment when it “jumps the shark” into utter absurdity.

The phrase refers to a 1977 episode of Happy Days, where Fonzie, played by Henry Winkler, jumps over a shark while water-skiing, marking the popular sitcom’s descent into farce.

In politics, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation marks examples of government spending “jumping the shark” with its annual “Teddy Awards”, named for a former federal appointee fired for submitting dubious expense claims.

This week, the CTF awarded a well-deserved Teddy to Ontario’s Liberal government, headed by Premier Kathleen Wynne, for its Ontario Electric Vehicle Incentive Program, which has given out $14 million in subsidies over the past six years to buyers of luxury electric vehicles, such as Teslas, in the $70,000 to $150,000 range.

These absurd subsidies, given that people who can afford to spend up to $150,000 on a car don’t need up to $14,000 from the public to do so, are a small part of the Liberals’ ill-fated climate change action program, which has cost Ontarians billions of dollars, spent on dubious and ineffective schemes.

The CTF also awarded the Wynne government a “Lifetime Achievement Teddy”, in recognition of its disastrous green energy plan, which it keeps doubling down on even as the provincial auditor general criticizes it for runaway waste.

That has sent electricity prices skyrocketing, forcing growing numbers of Ontarians into energy poverty, where they face choices such as buying food or paying their electricity bills.

All this while the government pays billions of dollars for expensive and unreliable wind and solar power, which often has to be sold at a loss to Quebec and the U.S. because Ontario has a massive energy surplus caused in part by high electricity prices, which gutted the manufacturing sector.

The one benefit the Wynne government claims from this — that it eliminated Ontario’s use of polluting, greenhouse gas-emitting, coal-fired electricity — was actually achieved with nuclear and natural gas power, not wind and solar, which have turned into massive boondoggles.

None of which is to mention Ontario’s cap and trade carbon pricing scheme, poised to add hundreds of dollars to the average Ontario family’s cost of living, starting this year.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....eddy-award

Jump to: