Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Sarah Palin as US ambassador to Canada ? Reply with quote

( appears to be some truths and some rumour but who knows ? I guess anything is possible )

Sarah Palin as U.S. ambassador to Canada?

Andrew Cohen, Special to Postmedia Network

First posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 08:54 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 09:32 PM EST

WASHINGTON – As a president beginning his term with less than half a cabinet and a string of empty offices in the West Wing, Donald Trump may not be thinking much about ambassadors. He isn’t roaming the residence at night worrying about his envoy to Canada. But ever since Bruce Heyman left Ottawa before the inauguration, the position has been empty. It will be for a while.

The way things works here, Heyman’s successor may not arrive until the summer or fall; Heyman himself waited almost six months for the Senate to confirm him in 2014.

With the Democrats dawdling, this new appointment may take even longer. That leaves lots of time to consider who will represent the United States in Ottawa in what may well be the most volatile period in bilateral relations since the Vietnam War.

One familiar name keeps coming up in conversations around both Washington and Ottawa: Sarah Palin.

For Trump, there are reasons for choosing Palin. Trump is a showman. He likes his people to look and speak the part. Palin is not a diplomat by training or instinct, but she is a celebrity who would bring her travelling carnival to Canada.

If the Captain of Chaos wants to disrupt everything – including resetting relations with little ol’ Canada – Palin would be the one to break the china. She has unapologetic views and a lot of swagger.

Palin, you may recall, catapulted to fame in 2008 when John McCain made her his vice-presidential running mate. It was the worst decision of his career. He has never apologized.

A vice-president should do no harm in an election. Mike Pence, a soap salesman, did no harm to Trump. Nor did Tim Kaine, who channelled Howdy-Doody, harm Hillary Clinton. Palin broke the rule: so great was her ignorance, so hilarious her gaffes, she hurt the ticket.

For our Annie Oakley of Alaska, though, it was the gift of a lifetime. When the campaign was over, she resigned as governor and became a brand – giving speeches, turning out books, making her eccentric family, the northern Clampetts, a reality television show.

She represents the descent of politics. We see today a direct line from Palin to Trump. Politically, Trump is Palin’s child.

She knew that when she endorsed him for president before Iowa. Typically she spoke gibberish – no syntax, no message, a kind of slam poetry – but she laid down a marker.

Trump remembered that. When he won, he considered her as secretary of veterans affairs.

Then she criticized his much-vaunted deal in November to keep Carrier and its hundreds of jobs in Indiana. “Crony capitalism!” she trilled. Trump no like.

Yet here she is, as enduring and empty as a tin can in a landfill. Her name – believe it or not – is in the chatter coming out of the Prime Minister’s Office and the State Department.

Would Palin want the job? She would have to give up her lucrative speeches and television appearances, which have helped make her an estimated $12 million US. But her influence is waning; last year, she closed her political action committee.

In Canada, Palin would have to learn to speak one of our official languages. She would have to live in a land of naïfs who favour immigrants, gay marriage, the United Nations and NATO.

Of course, she would be warmly greeted by observers such as the besotted Rex Murphy, who says she is “smart … radiates human warmth … with a personality that could sell corn flakes.”

For Canada, it would be an honour to welcome Ambassador Palin. You betcha! She would remind us, lest we forget, of our new life through the looking glass.

Andrew Cohen , a Canadian journalist and author, is a Fulbright Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center in Washington. Email: andrewzcohen@yahoo.ca

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....-to-canada
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tweet from yesterday.." Please no Mr President, don't send her. We'd rather you bomb us"

Does she even know where Canada is?
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the ndp aren't happy about the whole idea )

Cullen, Angus unimpressed at prospect of Sarah Palin as US ambassador

Canadian Press

Thursday, February 9th, 2017

OTTAWA – At least two federal New Democrat MPs don’t find all the conjecture about Sarah Palin becoming U.S. ambassador to Canada very funny.

New Democrat Nathan Cullen says if Palin was named the top U.S. representative to Canada, it would be tantamount to having to deal with two Donald Trumps.

The ambassador’s job has been vacant since last month when Obama appointee Bruce Heyman resigned following Trump’s inauguration as president.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer fuelled the rumour mill Wednesday when he didn’t outright deny the possibility, sending tongues wagging on social media.

Cullen says making Palin ambassador would be detrimental to Canada’s efforts to build a stronger relationship with the Trump administration.

He says it would be hard to take her seriously.

“She has never been very comfortable with the truth,” Cullen said Thursday. “Couldn’t recognize it most mornings if it jumped up and knocked her on the head.”

Still others questioned what message Trump would be sending by appointing Palin to the post.

“Well that would show how little Steve Bannon and his pal ?realDonaldTrump think of Canada,” MP Charlie Angus wrote on Twitter.

Already the butt of countless jokes during and after her 2008 candidacy for U.S. vice president, many Canadians used social media to laugh off the notion of a Palin ambassadorship.

Palin’s name did briefly swirled around the Twitterverse shortly after Heyman announced he was leaving, but the social media fuss had died down in recent weeks – until Spicer’s latest non-denial.

“With respect to the ambassador, we have no additional ambassador nominations or announcements to make on that front,” Spicer said. “I’m sure, at some point, we will have soon.”

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/02/09.....mbassador/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
A tweet from yesterday.." Please no Mr President, don't send her. We'd rather you bomb us"

she was the former governor of Alaska which borders Canada , I'm sure she knows where Canada is
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:

This is another illustration of the superficial and propagandistic biases of TC.

This is a woman who raised a family, became a reforming governor of her state, and became the vice presidential candidate. She fought the big interests in Alaska, big oil, etc. So she should be ridiculed -- why? Because she is a conservative Republican.

But also because she speaks in the cadences and accents of many Americans, particularly those from the south. So she is characterized as stupid. And TC picks up the stereotypes with his lame attempt at humor.

One wonders what TC has ever done that is comparable.

She never did anything as bad as throw the middle east into chaos, or leave the border open to anybody who looked like a leftist supporter. All she did was catch the mood of the country better than many of the professional politicians ever did.

The comments that she could see Russia from her kitchen window is not something that she said. That was Tina Fey, obviously one of TCs reliable sources.

I don't know about her as an ambassador. Her value is as a spokesman, and diplomats are not known for frank and honest speech. But she is not a fair target for TC's anti-woman bigotry.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally be surprised if she even wanted the job , it seem to me like something she wouldn't want anyways unless she really needs a job ? I have no clue as to her finances

from being a former governor and vice presidential candidate / high profile political figure to the sleepy position of ambassador to Canada ? it seems like a bit hard to believe personally

why would she want to be in the city of Ottawa on a semi permanent basis ? that one I also couldn't explain , she has no reason to be there or want to
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also from what I know all of her family is in Alaska , that's a massively long place ride to Ottawa and back , the travel alone would be horrendous

I just don't see any reason for her to want to be in Ottawa at this time , it make no sense , unless they were moving the embassy to Vancouver or had an office out west she could stay at instead

and they likely wouldn't even let her leave the embassy on her own to get a coffee in the byward market , she'd need to be followed by security everywhere
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
I'd personally be surprised if she even wanted the job , it seem to me like something she wouldn't want anyways unless she really needs a job ? I have no clue as to her finances

She would have to deep six her speaking and TV engagements etc for which she has made somewhere north of $12M . No chump change that.
Quote:

from being a former governor and vice presidential candidate / high profile political figure to the sleepy position of ambassador to Canada ? it seems like a bit hard to believe personally

Reps will tell you she was the worst possible candidate McCain could ever have picked. She is the reason he sank.She didnt know shit from shinola.
Quote:

why would she want to be in the city of Ottawa on a semi permanent basis ? that one I also couldn't explain , she has no reason to be there or want to

I agree. She has a nice life in Alaska, a big house, surrounded be her own disfunctional family, makes tons of money <-----all good reasons to say no.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

This is another illustration of the superficial and propagandistic biases of TC.

This is a woman who raised a family, became a reforming governor of her state, and became the vice presidential candidate. She fought the big interests in Alaska, big oil, etc. So she should be ridiculed -- why? Because she is a conservative Republican.

Naw...that would be too easy.

I ridicule (not really though) because she is thin skinned and vindictive. Sounds remarkedly familiar no?
Quote:
So she is characterized as stupid.

Nope.

Ignorant ....not stupid. Again, sound familiar?

Quote:

One wonders what TC has ever done that is comparable.

Ok...now THAT is funny .
Quote:

She never did anything as bad as throw the middle east into chaos, or leave the border open to anybody who looked like a leftist supporter.
...nor had an Inauguration, flown on AF1, been the head at a State dinner....which begs the question...What the F are you talking about? She is not as bad as GW/Clinton/GH/Reagan/...? Huh?

Quote:
All she did was catch the mood of the country better than many of the professional politicians ever did.

....for at least a week. But then she spoke.....yikes !
Quote:

The comments that she could see Russia from her kitchen window is not something that she said.
Oh sorry.
I can show you articles on catch phrases and the like should you wish. Let me know.

We know though that her words were equally dumb however Tina Fey nailed the caricature perfectly as respects her knowledge of Russia from living beside it.

Come on,that was hilarious!

Quote:
But she is not a fair target for TC's anti-woman bigotry.

Again, thanks for the laugh.

Please do show me where I was being anti-woman. Please?
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
RCO wrote:

She would have to deep six her speaking and TV engagements etc for which she has made somewhere north of $12M . No chump change that.
Quote:

Reps will tell you she was the worst possible candidate McCain could ever have picked. She is the reason he sank.She didnt know shit from shinola.
Quote:

I agree. She has a nice life in Alaska, a big house, surrounded be her own disfunctional family, makes tons of money <-----all good reasons to say no.

either way we seem to agree that it wouldn't make sense for her to want a job in downtown Ottawa as she's from Alaska

I typically don't recall American ambassadors to Canada ever being high profile people from the states , its not typically a role that would go to someone high profile

the security would also be a disaster if she was in Ottawa all the time , there is already protests at the US embassy every week if not day it seems , if she was there it might get even worse and she wouldn't be allowed to even leave on her own and even try to enjoy the city ?
it be such a boring job if that was the case
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:

either way we seem to agree that it wouldn't make sense for her to want a job in downtown Ottawa as she's from Alaska

To us it doesnt..yes.

But if she realizes she needs a new start, who knows. But I really doubt she would want to.
Quote:

I typically don't recall American ambassadors to Canada ever being high profile people from the states , its not typically a role that would go to someone high profile

Generally it isnt for anyone with a penchant to shoot their mouth off. But then again...Trump will get his directive from Bannon and then its set.

Hell , its hard to even recall a couple of names of prior ambassadors..

Quote:

it be such a boring job if that was the case

Well....lets be honest, it should be more interesting than Wasilla , roughly the same temps but no great expanse out her backdoor like she has now.

And it is Ottawa , the town that fun forgot.
bsenka

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
Reps will tell you she was the worst possible candidate McCain could ever have picked. She is the reason he sank.

They would be very wrong. She was the only positive about that whole campaign. Without her, McCain would have lost by a much wider margin.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsenka wrote:

They would be very wrong. She was the only positive about that whole campaign. Without her, McCain would have lost by a much wider margin.

Positive how? Apart from being more right than McCain (insofar as he was sen as liberal)
how can that be?

The electorate was tired of Bush and the GOP was done, much the same that Canada was done with Harper in the last election.

Palin was a laughing stock once the interviews came out. (not to mention getting slayed on SNL)
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More glib and superficial crap from TC. One might ask If Sarah Palin were so laughable, how come she has so many serious followers?

I wonder how TC's life achievements would stack up to Sarah Palin's? So if she is 'laughable', what is he?
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
More glib and superficial crap from TC.

Aaaaaaannnnnd no refutation of what was written.

Aw...mighty powerful decree provider ....has spoken.
Quote:

One might ask If Sarah Palin were so laughable, how come she has so many serious followers?

I wonder how TC's life achievements would stack up to Sarah Palin's? So if she is 'laughable', what is he?

Well....there are a lot of ignorant folk out there that kind of like that homey dopey you betcha kind of speech with nothing to back it up.

Hey....can I use your moronic lines every time you criticize Trudeau?

Man that will be sweet , "as if youve ever done anything in your life".

Good lord how juvenile. Please grow up bugs.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: