Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: 5 ways free speech is under attack Reply with quote

( an interesting article and video from Brian Lilley about how free speech is under attack in Canada and the US )

February 06, 2017

5 ways free speech is under attack

Brian Lilley
Rebel Co-Founder

I support free speech but….. That is a worrying statement to hear from anyone that lives in a Liberal Western Democracy like Canada’s.

I support free speech but…. always means there’s some kind of speech the person speaking, would like to see shut down.

And the problem with that is, where do you stop?

If you trust the current government to restrict speech you don’t like, what about the next government led by that leader you hate or that party you can’t stand.

Would you be comfortable handing over the ability to criminalize speech?

And yet, from people rioting to shut down civil discourse on campuses to calls for advertising bans and having the government police Twitter or Facebook for mean posts and fake news, this is a worrying time for free speech.

- Riots
- Fake News
- Twitter police
- Ad bans
- Political targeting

Watch as I go through each of the ways free speech is under attack in the current environment.

Doesn’t it remind you all of 1984?

Freedom of speech, freedom of expression it’s all taken for granted but as we have seen in the past with issues like Section 13 of the Human Rights Act - the hurt feelings on the internet section, many people, including elected officials are more than happy to let freedom of speech be curtailed for the latest fashionable idea.

The answer however should always be no.

http://www.therebel.media/5_wa.....der_attack
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thoughs on the 5 areas he discussed .

Riots - these aren't entirely new , I remember there being protests in Ottawa back in 2010 when Ann Coulter I believe had come to speak , so its not entirely a new tactic but seems to be getting worse since trump was elected

Fake News - I find this one especially difficult to understand , 2 reporters could each write an entirely different article or version of the same event , are they now saying if they disagree with the one there going to label it fake news ?
considering the legal rights for a free press and free speech , I personally doubt legal challenges against fake news would be successful unless the news was beyond a doubt entirely fake and made up

Twitter police - not exclusive to twitter , facebook has also had similar problems especially in europe and Germany where people have actually been arrested for posting anti migrant groups and such to facebook , seriously out of line and violates peoples right to free speech and opinions

ad bans - less up to date on this issue or sure how it relates to politics

political targeting - also don't think this one is entirely new and perhaps has got worse since trump was elected and left upset they lost and don't hold power in Washington anymore

Jump to: