Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: conservative Senator Verner to sit as an independent Reply with quote

( the cpc senate caucus continues to shrink with news today that senator Verner is going to sit as an independent for unknown reasons )

Senator Verner quitting Tory caucus to sit as Independent

Janice Dickson

Tuesday, January 31st, 2017

Conservative Senator Josée Verner is quitting the Conservative caucus to sit as an Independent, Verner’s office confirmed Tuesday morning.

Verner was appointed to the Senate in June 2011, and prior to that was a Member of Parliament and held a variety of cabinet positions.

She was elected in 2006 and again in 2008. She served as minister of International Cooperation and minister for La Francophonie and Official Languages, and later became minister of Canadian Heritage, Status of Women and Official Languages. Verner was re-appointed minister for La Francophonie in May, 2008.

She was named minister of Intergovernmental Affairs in October, 2008, president of the Privy Council...

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/01/31.....dependent/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although I was not surprised to hear of another senator becoming a so called "independent " I was surprised to hear it was Josee Verner as she had been an MP from quebec city and high profile cabinet minister when conservatives in government until she lost her seat in 2011 , it would seem odd for someone like her to leave the conservative caucus and go it alone as senators are still members of there parties caucus in Ottawa .
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
although I was not surprised to hear of another senator becoming a so called "independent " I was surprised to hear it was Josee Verner as she had been an MP from quebec city and high profile cabinet minister when conservatives in government until she lost her seat in 2011 , it would seem odd for someone like her to leave the conservative caucus and go it alone as senators are still members of there parties caucus in Ottawa .

That was my thought too.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( an article from quebec helps to better explain her decision )

Josée Verner leaves the conservative caucus the Senator will sit from now on as "not affiliated"

Josée Verner

"I think I have a good track record. I think I did a lot of things for my area and then I liked,"said Senator Josée Verner.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 20:39

after leading a fight for 21 months against rectal cancer, Senator Josée Verner leaves the conservative caucus and comes back to the Senate where it will now sit as "unaffiliated."

«I really want to turn the page on my time in politics, said the former Minister of the Harper of 58.» I'm glad that I did. I think I have a good track record. I think I did a lot of things for my area and then I liked,"she said. After a lengthy absence from the Senate since may 2015, where she spent through radiation therapy, chemotherapy and surgery, Ms. Verner was wanting to undertake a fresh start.

"I considered in the background that life gave me a second chance. And then, I decided to grab it and I said to myself: "this second part in my life, how I want to live?" I want to try new things, to experiment with new ways of doing things", she said

Including changes to the Senate by the Trudeau Government, with the appointment of senators considered 'independent', create a different context according to Ms. Verner. "There is a process of modernisation which was launched. (...) Where is it going exactly? I think that it doesn't at this point in a concrete way, but what we know is that it will bring Senators to exercise their functions in a manner much more consistent with what the fathers of Confederation had originally planned,"she pointed out.

If Ms. Verner bilingual Chief does not tear up his card of Member of the Conservative Party of the Canada, intends not to renew it as much. It is no doubt for the former Minister of official languages that the next leader of the party must be bilingual however.

"I still think that a head of State of a bilingual country, a country that has a law on official languages should speak both official languages, it sure", she said, arguing that the former Prime Minister Stephen Harper spoke french before be brought to power in 2006.
Mosque of Quebec Senator also reacted with sadness to the attack in a mosque of Quebec and believe that "deep reflection" is required. "I was appalled when I heard what was going on in Quebec City and sure I'll always fiercely against all forms of hate, aggression and violence.

It's so sad that people come to think of it as a solution. I find it so regrettable", she said. Josée Verner

◾ Federal Congresswoman elected conservative Louis-Saint-Laurent in 2006 ◾
former Minister of la Francophonie and the languages official ◾
former Minister of International Cooperation,
Canadian Heritage and the female former Minister of affairs intergovernmental ◾
◾ Condition served as President of the Privy Council in the Queen for the Canada ◾ named Senator conservative in June 2011 by Stephen Harper

http://www.journaldemontreal.c.....nservateur

Jump to: