Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Manitoba ndp mla Kevin Chief to resign seat Reply with quote

( it seems like there is no good news for the ndp , the Manitoba ndp is losing one of there highest profile mla's , who has decided to resign his seat for family reasons , although they'll likely hold the seat in a future by-election as this part of Winnipeg never votes pc , the lost of Chief is a major blow )

Kevin Chief’s resignation a ‘big, big loss’ for Manitoba NDP: analyst

By Steve Lambert, The Canadian Press — Dec 14 2016

WINNIPEG — A former cabinet minister and arguably the most popular member of the Manitoba New Democratic Party caucus is quitting politics to spend more time with his family.

Kevin Chief said Wednesday his decision is not related to the challenges his party is facing, and has been prompted by the birth of his third child last spring. All three boys are under seven.

"The job of a (legislature member) is quite demanding. There's a lot of evenings and weekends, and I've made the decision to be there more for my children, to be able to share some of those experiences and first moments with my young boys," Chief told The Canadian Press.

"This decision is 100 per cent based on my family."

Chief, 42, was born and raised in poverty in Winnipeg's Point Douglas neighbourhood. His father was an indigenous trapper who had moved to the city.

Chief got a scholarship to the University of Winnipeg and was a star basketball player. He later helped develop programs to allow inner-city elementary school kids to take classes on campus and to attend summer day camps elsewhere in the community.

After an unsuccessful run in a 2010 federal byelection, he won a seat in the Manitoba legislature the following year and was soon elevated to cabinet. Over the next five years, he held a variety of portfolios including minister of children and youth opportunities.

A skilled organizer, he was able to get hundreds of people together on short notice for fundraisers or community events. He developed a reputation for maintaining strong ties to his constituents. When the NDP was defeated in the provincial election in April, he easily kept his Point Douglas seat and won the highest percentage of votes among NDP candidates.

The vacancy means a byelection in the downtown constituency must be held within six months.

One political analyst said his departure, which takes effect at the end of the month, is a serious blow for the 13 remaining New Democrats.

"It's a big, big loss for the NDP ... because he gave the party some credibility, and he was a very prominent figure in the general community, but particularly in the aboriginal community," said Paul Thomas, professor emeritus of political studies at the University of Manitoba.

"His credibility and appeal crossed party lines, I think, and the NDP needs somebody like that."

Chief was pressured by some party members to run for leader following an internal caucus revolt in 2014. He declined and kept a low profile in the battle, but ended up backing then-premier Greg Selinger along with 34 delegates from Point Douglas.

Chief said he is not at liberty to say what lies ahead for him, other than spending the holidays with his family. Any future job will be focused on his neighbourhood, he said.

"I'm exploring those opportunities that will allow me to keep giving back to an incredible neighbourhood that has given me so much and my family so much."

Interim NDP Leader Flor Marcelino said in a written statement that Chief's colleagues will "miss his experience, his wisdom, his guidance and his friendship."

Premier Brian Pallister praised Chief's work for his constituents.

"I know from experience, as do many members of our caucus, how challenging a life in politics can be for those with young children," Pallister said in a written statement.

"Kevin's passion for, and commitment to, his community has been evident throughout his career."

http://www.nationalnewswatch.c.....FHaHEn2Zjp
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point Douglas MLA Kevin Chief resigns seat

NDP confirms Chief leaving politics for 'family reasons,' will step down at end of month

By Sean Kavanagh, CBC News Posted: Dec 14, 2016 4:33 PM CT| Last Updated: Dec 14, 2016 4:58 PM CT

The Manitoba NDP has confirmed Point Douglas MLA Kevin Chief will resign his seat.

New Democratic Party MLA Kevin Chief has resigned his Point Douglas seat in the Manitoba Legislature.

A spokesperson for the NDP confirms Chief is leaving politics for "family reasons." His resignation will take effect at the end of this month.

"We will miss his experience, his wisdom, his guidance and his friendship," interim NDP Leader Flor Marcelino said in an emailed statement.

"The job of MLA puts a huge demand on an individual, both in the Legislative Assembly and in the constituency. We were lucky to have such a dedicated individual working with our NDP team on behalf of the people of Point Douglas and all of Manitoba," Marcelino's statement said.

Kevin Chief
NDP MLA Kevin Chief's resignation will take effect at the end of this month, the party said in a statement. (CBC)

"Kevin's passion for, and commitment to, his community has been evident throughout his career," Premier Brian Pallister said in a press release.

"I know from experience, as do many members of our caucus, how challenging a life in politics can be for those with young children and I want to thank not only Kevin for his service, but his family for the sacrifices they have made in order for him to be able to serve the people of Point Douglas," the premier's statement said.

Chief took a run at federal politics in 2010 but lost to Liberal Kevin Lamoureux. He later successfully won a provincial seat in 2011 in Point Douglas.

Chief moved quickly up the ranks in the NDP government of Greg Selinger.

He was first named minister of the newly-created Department of Children and Youth Opportunities. He also served as Minister of Jobs and the Economy before the NDP lost the election last spring.

He retained his own seat in the 2016 election.

Chief grew up in Winnipeg's North End and was a star athlete for the University of Winnipeg Wesmen. He would later work at the university, becoming the director of the Winnipeg Aboriginal Sport Achievement Centre. He worked for a decade in education before making the jump to politics.

Chief had been talked about as a potential leader of the NDP after the party suffered a massive loss to Brian Pallister's Progressive Conservatives in the April 2016 election

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.3896978
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 14, 2016 5:03 pm Updated: December 14, 2016 5:31 pm

Former Manitoba cabinet minister, Kevin Chief, quits politics

By Steve Lambert The Canadian Press

WINNIPEG — A former cabinet minister and arguably the most popular member of the Manitoba New Democratic Party caucus is quitting politics to spend more time with his family.

Kevin Chief said Wednesday his decision is not related to the challenges his party is facing, and has been prompted by the birth of his third child last spring. All three boys are under seven.

“The job of a (legislature member) is quite demanding. There’s a lot of evenings and weekends, and I’ve made the decision to be there more for my children, to be able to share some of those experiences and first moments with my young boys,” Chief told The Canadian Press.

“This decision is 100 per cent based on my family.”

Chief, 42, was born and raised in poverty in Winnipeg’s Point Douglas neighbourhood. His father was an indigenous trapper who had moved to the city.

Chief got a scholarship to the University of Winnipeg and was a star basketball player. He later helped develop programs to allow inner-city elementary school kids to take classes on campus and to attend summer day camps elsewhere in the community.

After an unsuccessful run in a 2010 federal byelection, he won a seat in the Manitoba legislature the following year and was soon elevated to cabinet. Over the next five years, he held a variety of portfolios including minister of children and youth opportunities.

A skilled organizer, he was able to get hundreds of people together on short notice for fundraisers or community events. He developed a reputation for maintaining strong ties to his constituents. When the NDP was defeated in the provincial election in April, he easily kept his Point Douglas seat and won the highest percentage of votes among NDP candidates.

The vacancy means a byelection in the downtown constituency must be held within six months.

One political analyst said his departure, which takes effect at the end of the month, is a serious blow for the 13 remaining New Democrats.

“It’s a big, big loss for the NDP … because he gave the party some credibility, and he was a very prominent figure in the general community, but particularly in the aboriginal community,” said Paul Thomas, professor emeritus of political studies at the University of Manitoba.

“His credibility and appeal crossed party lines, I think, and the NDP needs somebody like that.”

Chief was pressured by some party members to run for leader following an internal caucus revolt in 2014. He declined and kept a low profile in the battle, but ended up backing then-premier Greg Selinger along with 34 delegates from Point Douglas.

Chief said he is not at liberty to say what lies ahead for him, other than spending the holidays with his family. Any future job will be focused on his neighbourhood, he said.

“I’m exploring those opportunities that will allow me to keep giving back to an incredible neighbourhood that has given me so much and my family so much.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/3127.....-politics/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( more bad news for the ndp , there is no such thing as good ndp news anymore , an mla has been accused of sexual harassment and been suspended from caucus )

NDP MLA Mohinder Saran suspended after sexual harassment allegation

New Democrats refuse to reveal identity of member suspended from caucus

CBC News Posted: Dec 15, 2016 2:11 PM CT| Last Updated: Dec 15, 2016 5:02 PM CT

Mohinder Saran is MLA for The Maples. Sources say he has been suspended from the NDP caucus after allegations of verbal sexual harassment.

A Manitoba MLA has been suspended from attending NDP caucus meetings after allegations the New Democrat verbally sexually harassed someone.

The NDP refused to reveal the identity of the member, but sources with knowledge of the investigation told CBC News Maples MLA Mohinder Saran was suspended following the allegations.

"The Speaker and the legislative assembly take any allegations of harassment very seriously," House Speaker Myrna Driedger said. "We have policies in place to ensure a safe work environment."

Accused of 'inappropriate overtures'

Saran was accused of making "inappropriate overtures" and comments that bordered on propositioning to a subordinate, a source who spoke with the Canadian Press said. Because of the power imbalance, "someone's livelihood was potentially at stake," the source told CP.

Saran was born in India and moved to Canada in 1970.

The former cabinet was first elected in 2007, and re-elected in 2011 and 2016. He narrowly beat out Tory Kaur Sidhu by 127 votes in The Maples riding this past spring.

Promoted by Selinger

Saran was a backbencher until April 2015, when then-premier Greg Selinger promoted him to the cabinet portfolio of Housing and Community Development. The promotion came a few weeks after Selinger survived an internal coup by a 33-vote margin at a NDP leadership convention.
■Selinger shuffles cabinet

Saran played an important role in helping Selinger win. He backed Selinger and helped deliver 117 delegate votes from The Maples.

Saran ran and lost to Driedger for the House Speaker position in May.

According to the NDP, Saran was the province's first Indo-Canadian cabinet member.

Saran has been actively involved with Folklorama over the years. He was formerly the president of the Sikh Society of Manitoba and director of the India Association.

Human resources investigated allegations

The party plans to reassess the status of the MLA after the process has come to a close.

"The provincial human resources branch was notified and investigated the allegations. The branch completed its investigation and is working with all parties to resolve all outstanding issues," an NDP spokesperson wrote in a statement.

The legislature isn't slated to sit again until March.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.3898623
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, on earth, is verbal sexual harassment?

Basically, he upset a woman, so he should get suspended from the party? Without any procedure, without anything more than the word of someone. probably female?

People get frustrated and sound off on others all the time. Sometimes the others deserve it, sometimes they don't. But is this worth what they're doing? If a woman upset a male employee, would it get the same treatment?

I think this gentleman is being used very badly.

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( no date for this by election but ndp have decided to nominate a candidate early anyways )

Bernadette Smith named NDP candidate for Point Douglas

Smith was the only person who completed paperwork for the nomination in race to replace Kevin Chief

CBC News Posted: Jan 31, 2017 9:35 PM CT| Last Updated: Jan 31, 2017 9:35 PM CT

Bernadette Smith has been nominated as the NDP candidate for the Point Douglas byelection.

"I'm super excited to be working in the community that I've grown up in. I love this community and I want to continue the great work that the NDP ... has done in this community," Smith said.

Education, training and housing are priorities, she added.

"Make sure that the programs that are in Point Douglas stay in Point Douglas and that we continue to strengthen the families that are in this community," she said.

Smith helped push for an inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women and co-founded a group that searches the Red River for clues to missing persons. She is also a recent recipient of the Order of Manitoba.

"Point Douglas has an exceptionally qualified candidate in Bernadette," party President Ovide Mercredi said in a news release.

"Her longstanding advocacy for women's and Indigenous rights, as well as her extensive experience working within the community have well-prepared her to serve the people of Point Douglas."

Point Douglas, in Winnipeg's inner city, has voted NDP for more than two decades. The seat has been vacant since the resignation of former NDP MLA Kevin Chief in December. Earlier this week, he was appointed the vice-president of the Business Council of Manitoba.

Before Tuesday night's nomination meeting, some party members had voiced concerns about the NDP's nomination process in the consituency.

Veteran New Democratic Party organizer and Point Douglas activist Sel Burrows told CBC News earlier this month that two people who were considering running for the spot learned about the nomination process timeline once it was closed.

Smith was the only person who completed the required paperwork before the deadline, but her nomination meeting drew a crowd of over 100 people, the release said.

Premier Brian Pallister has until July to call the byelection and has not yet indicated when it will be held.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.3961058
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith acclaimed to carry NDP banner in Point Douglas

News

Yesterday at 9:24 PM

Bernadette Smith hugs Ethan Desmarais, 5, after being acclaimed the NDP candidate for Point Douglas during a nomination meeting at the Ukrainian Labour Temple on Pritchard Avenue in Winnipeg on Mon., Jan. 31, 2017. Kevin King/Winnipeg Sun/Postmedia Network

The immediate favourite in an eventual Point Douglas by-election accepted the NDP nomination on Tuesday night.

Activist Bernadette Smith was acclaimed as the New Democratic Party candidate in a nomination meeting at the Ukrainian Labour Temple on Pritchard Avenue.

The co-founder of Drag The Red and the Manitoba Coalition of Families of Missing and Murdered Women in Manitoba, Smith takes over for Kevin Chief, who stepped away from office in mid-December and officially resigned at the start of this month. Chief is now the vice-president of the Business Council of Manitoba.

Smith, the Assistant Director of the WayFinders Program in the Seven Oaks School Division, is a mother of three with strong roots in the riding. She became heavily involved in Indigenous women’s issues after her sister, Claudette Osborne, went missing in 2008.

A by-election must be called by July. No other party has held the seat in the Point Douglas riding, with each MLA garnering at least 50% of the vote.

“I’m looking forward to helping also rebuild the party. I totally believe in three years we’ll be back in government,” Smith told a gathering of about 100 people.

The Manitoba Liberals are set to hold their nomination meeting Thursday at 7 p.m., at the Sinclair Park Community Centre

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2017/.....nt-douglas
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although I think the ndp will hold unto this seat in the by-election I disagree with the other comment in the article and don't think the mantioba ndp will easily be back in government in 3 years , that one is a bit of a fantasy
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
although I think the ndp will hold unto this seat in the by-election I disagree with the other comment in the article and don't think the mantioba ndp will easily be back in government in 3 years , that one is a bit of a fantasy

Yup!
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
RCO wrote:

Yup!

I found the history of the riding on Wikipedia , you can see its small downtown riding in Winnipeg that has always been ndp , and even with pc's in government its not really a riding one would expect them to win . the liberals might do a bit better though , there vote grow in 2016 election , but certainly not a bell weather riding for the rest of the province

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Douglas
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the Manitoba liberals have also nominated a candidate in the riding )

Liberals nominate Point Douglas candidate

Winnipeg Sun

First posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 10:55 AM CST

John Cacayuran won the nomination to be Manitoba Liberal candidate for the Point Douglas constituency.

Cacuyuran, whose until recently was working as a staffer for Maryann Mihychuk, MP for Kildonan St. Paul, said he was eager to start campaigning and that there was an excellent chance he could win.

“I have a lot of respect for my opponents, but I think that we have an opportunity to win here in Point Douglas in this by-election,” said Cacayuran in a press release. “The Manitoba Liberal Party made major gains here in the last election, and we are a party of the people who want to give Point Douglas a voice.”

The Liberals’ Interim leader, Judy Klassen, is the first Indigenous leader of a provincial party, said she was optimistic as well. The Manitoba Liberal Party has been polling ahead of the NDP consistently in recent polls, as the NDP has struggled in opposition and with internal scandals.

NDP candidate Bernadette Smith was acclaimed Tuesday evening.

Smith is a co-founder of Drag The Red and the Manitoba Coalition of Families of Missing and Murdered Women in Manitoba, Smith takes over for Kevin Chief, who stepped away from office in mid-December and officially resigned at the start of this month. Chief is now the vice-president of the Business Council of Manitoba.

A by-election must be called by July.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/201.....-candidate
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Cacayuran named Liberal candidate for Point Douglas

Premier has until July to call byelection

By Aidan Geary, CBC News Posted: Feb 02, 2017 11:53 PM CT| Last Updated: Feb 02, 2017 11:53 PM CT

John Cacayuran is the Liberal candidate for the riding of Point Douglas, seen here with interim party leader Judy Klassen.

Manitoba's Liberal party has a new candidate for the Point Douglas riding in Winnipeg.

John Cacayuran will be representing the party in the historically NDP riding in the next provincial election, the party announced Thursday.

The announcement marks Cacayuran's political debut. He was the only person to put his name forward for the Liberal nomination.

"I feel really good. I think Point Douglas is ready for a change," he said. "I think the Liberal party is the only positive alternative to the NDP, and I feel that with a strong campaign, a good ground game, we can take it."

Before putting his name forward for the nomination, Cacayuran served as a staffer under Liberal MP MaryAnn Mihychuk (Kildonan—St. Paul) and as an investigator with provincial regulatory bodies.

He said it's always been his goal to enter politics.

"It's something I've been really dreaming about for, God, who knows how long. Twenty years at least," he said.

Safety, housing big issues, Cacayuran says

"We are very optimistic about our chances in Point Douglas, and we are positioning ourselves to be a strong and positive alternative to the PCs and the NDP," said the party's interim leader Judy Klassen in a Thursday press release.

Cacayuran said he wants to bring more investment into the community and tackle housing in the area he was born and raised in.

"I definitely want to help the people feel safe in the community," he said. "I've been talking to a lot of residents, and one of the biggest concerns that they've brought to my attention is that they don't feel safe walking the streets, so I definitely want to address that with them."

In the April 2016 election, the party was represented by Althea Guiboche in the area.

Also on Thursday, the party announced plans to elect a new leader at a party meeting on Oct. 21 in Winnipeg.

Premier Brian Pallister has until July to call a byelection in the province.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.3964902
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( its taken some time but the Manitoba pc's finally have a candidate in Point Douglas , Jodi Moskal has won the nomination . its actually surprising to see a contested pc nomination in such a core ndp riding . shows how far down the ndp has fallen in Manitoba if this seat does come into play . but I'm not sure it actually will but its tough to say but by election likely to be called soon )

Jodi Moskal named new PC candidate for Point Douglas riding

Premier has until July to call a byelection in Manitoba

CBC News Posted: Apr 27, 2017 10:25 PM CT| Last Updated: Apr 27, 2017 10:25 PM CT

Jodi Moskal was voted in as the Progressive Conservative candidate for the Winnipeg riding of Point Douglas on Thursday.

Manitoba's Progressive Conservative party has a new name on its roster.

At a Thursday nomination meeting attended by Premier Brian Pallister and several PC cabinet ministers, members voted in newcomer Jodi Moskal as the party's candidate for the Point Douglas riding.

The journeyman electrician and former Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce chair will represent the party in the historically NDP area. The party only got 17 per cent of the vote in that riding in the last provincial election.
■Point Douglas MLA Kevin Chief resigns seat

Former NDP MLA Kevin Chief got 58 per cent in the same election but has since resigned.

"Because it's always been NDP, it's definitely going to be a big challenge," said Moskal, who is also the vice-president of Moskal Electric Ltd.

She's counting on her belief that the people of Point Douglas are ready for a change, and says she heard from some of them during her campaign.

"We signed up members from all parties," she said. "[Some had] never been a PC member before, some were card-holding members of other parties. They weren't happy. They told us what they wanted: jobs, security. Look after my kids, look after my grandkids."

Moskal won the candidacy over two other nominees: Tim Diack, a former member of the Winnipeg Police Service, and Alexa Rosentreter, the general manager of Merit Motion Pictures.

Pallister has until July to call a byelection in the province.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4089636
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( after a long delay the by election way finally called for this riding )

Glimmer of hope for Grits in Point Douglas by-election

tom-brodbeck
By Tom Brodbeck, Winnipeg Sun
First posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 01:51 PM CDT | Updated: Sunday, May 14, 2017 02:08 PM CDT

Former MLA Kevin Chief
The Point Douglas seat has been vacant since Kevin Chief’s departure in January (David Larkins/Winnipeg Sun/QMI Agency)

It would be a stretch to say the least, but a victory for Manitoba’s Liberal party – which has been showing some signs of life lately – in the Point Douglas by-election would be the most significant victory for the party since the early 1990s.

Premier Brian Pallister called the by-election date Friday for June 13, about five months after former NDP MLA Kevin Chief stepped down and left the riding vacant.

In all likelihood, the NDP will keep this seat. It’s an NDP stronghold and they normally win this riding with astronomical plurality.

Throw in a star candidate like Chief, and the NDP often wins with over 70% of the vote in this NDP bastion. Even in 2016, when the NDP’s fortunes hit record lows, Chief still managed to pull in 57% of the vote. His predecessor, former NDP MLA George Hickes, received 66% of the vote in 2007 and a stunning 74% of the vote in 2003.

This is NDP land and the prospect of taking this riding away from them is nearly impossible.

But anything can happen in politics, which is why it’s so fun. And that unpredictability goes up two or three notches during by-elections, largely because fewer people vote in them.

As it is, most eligible voters don’t vote in Point Douglas. Voter turn-out in this low-income riding is usually between 40% and 45% during general elections. So the importance of getting the vote out here is amplified further.

Coupled with the fact that this is a by-election, and the voter turn-out is expected to be even below 40%, convincing supporters to get out and vote will be the thing that matters most in this race.

Which provides the Liberal party with a glimmer of hope. The Liberals usually finish a distant second behind the NDP in this riding, with the Tories typically only a few points behind.

In 2016, the Liberals won 19% of the vote, the Tories 16%.

But unlike 2016, the NDP doesn’t have a star candidate in this race. No party does. Bernadette Smith is running for the NDP, John Cacayuran is the Liberal candidate and Jodi Moskal is running for the Tories. All no-names.

Which means this race will be largely determined by party brand and who has the best ground game to get the vote out.

For the Liberals, winning this seat would be transformational. It would give them four seats in the legislative assembly, the minimum number required to have official party status in the chamber. That would come with more caucus funding and more legislative privileges in the house and at committees. The Liberals haven’t had official party status since 1995 when they had seven MLAs in the house under then leader Paul Edwards. But that number dropped to three after the 1995 election, when Edwards himself lost his seat in what was then the riding of St. James.

The Grits haven’t had official party status since.

With a leadership race in the fall, official party status would be a boon to a party that’s been struggling in the political wilderness for the better part of the last 22 years. It’s unlikely the Liberals can close the gap with the NDP to take this one. But it’s their best chance in years to elevate themselves to a higher plateau. That’s not to say the Tories don’t have as much of a chance as the Liberals to win this riding. But the recent emergency room closure announcement, coupled with a few tough weeks for the Tories and their leader, doesn’t help Moskal’s prospects much.

Nevertheless, anything can happen in by-elections.

And not even the NDP, which continues to struggle with its own internal problems, can take it for granted that this one is in the bag.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/201.....y-election
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greens nominate candidate for Point Douglas

Nick Martin By: Nick Martin
Posted: 05/11/2017 8:37 AM | Comments: 5

The Green Party of Manitoba has nominated Sabrina Koehn Binesi as its candidate in the upcoming Point Douglas byelection.

The Greens said in a news release that Koehn is an experienced community activist and Point Douglas resident who is of Ojibwa and Cree descent, with family from Sandy Bay First Nation and Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation. She has worked as an executive office assistant in federal and provincial government departments, and as a legal assistant.

"Tuesday’s election in B.C. demonstrates that Canadians want more Green representation," Manitoba’s Green Party leader James Beddome said by email. "I am especially pleased the Greens have a strong, local, indigenous candidate for this race. It will give Point Douglas residents a real choice."

The longtime NDP stronghold has been vacant since Kevin Chief stepped down in January, and the Pallister government has yet to set a byelection date.

The NDP has nominated Bernadette Smith, the Tories Jodi Moskal, and the Liberals John Cacayuran

http://www.winnipegfreepress.c.....94603.html

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: