Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: former finance minister Joe Oliver to run for Ont pc's Reply with quote

( somewhat surprised to see him running for a seat at queen's park as he's in his mid 70's but he still maintains a strong interest in politics and York Centre is an interesting riding . Monte Kwinter hasn't even been in the legislature in months and in a nursing home ? is he really planning to run for re-election ? that sounds crazy to me personally although its possible the liberals nominate someone else before 2018 )

Joe Oliver to run for Ontario Tories in 2018 election

The former federal finance minister will seek the provincial PC party nomination in York Centre. He is one of several federal Conservatives who want to join the Ontario party led by Patrick Brown.

Former federal finance minister Joe Oliver plans to seek the provincial PC nomination in York Centre for the 2018 election. (Darren Calabrese / The Canadian Press file photo)

Former federal finance minister Joe Oliver will be running for Patrick Brown’s provincial Progressive Conservatives, the Star has learned.

Oliver — prime minister Stephen Harper’s treasurer until losing his seat in Eglinton-Lawrence in last October’s vote — plans to seek the Tory nomination in York Centre for the 2018 election.

“I really believe that we have a problem here in Ontario,” he said in an interview Monday.

“In my opinion, Ontarians have been suffering far too long from the waste, incompetence, and political scandals of the Kathleen Wynne government.”

As Harper’s right-hand man in Ottawa, he was not shy about sparring with the Liberal premier on issues such as pension reform, climate change, and infrastructure spending.

Now, Oliver acknowledged, it’s time to put his money where his mouth was by coming to Queen’s Park.

“I do believe there’s an opportunity to change things and if I can contribute to that in the election and later in the government by using my experience in finance . . . it would be a great honour,” said Oliver, adding he feels a “sense of obligation” to serve Ontarians.

Oliver, 76, plans to square off against veteran York Centre Liberal Monte Kwinter, 85, the oldest MPP in Ontario history.

Kwinter, who has been recovering from an unspecified illness at a Toronto retirement home in recent weeks, has not been seen at Queen’s Park for several months. But he was working in his constituency on Friday and he was part of Wynne’s trade mission to Israel in May.

While the next election is not until June 7, 2018, the Tories expect to nominate a York Centre candidate between December and February.

Oliver is one of many former Conservative MPs who want to join Brown, himself an MP from 2006 until 2015, in provincial politics.

Other names being mentioned include defeated parliamentarians Paul Calandra from Markham and Mississauga’s Bob Dechert.

PC Party president Rick Dykstra, St. Catharines MP until losing his seat in the federal Liberal sweep last fall, had his hopes of becoming an MPP dashed on Saturday.

Dykstra, 50, lost the Niagara West-Glanbrook nomination for the Nov. 17 by-election to Sam Oosterhoff, a 19-year-old freshman at Brock University.

Oosterhoff, a social conservative who was backed by anti-abortion activists and those opposing the updated sex-education curriculum, did not return messages seeking comment Monday.

Campaigning in Ottawa-Vanier with his other Nov. 17 by-election candidate Andre Marin, the former Ontario ombudsman, Brown insisted the teen was onside with his progressive views.

“I’ve spoken to him, he certainly supports my direction of the party,” the PC leader told the Ottawa Citizen’s Brian Platt.

“On marriage equality, on sex education, I’ve made my position very clear, abundantly clear, around the province. He told me he supports my position,” said Brown.

While Tories are publicly welcoming Oosterhoff’s candidacy, privately they are worried about the signal that Dykstra’s defeat sends about their leader’s grip on the party.

There are concerns social conservatives could take over other ridings just as Brown is trying to recast his party — which leads in public-opinion polls — as a moderate mainstream alternative to the Liberals.

Wynne, for her part, sounded almost gleeful that the Tories have nominated a teenager against Liberal lawyer Vicky Ringuette.

“It’s a very cool thing that a 19-year-old would want to step up,” the premier said.

“Now, we have a very strong progressive woman running in Niagara West—Glanbrook and there will be a clear distinction between the ideas of this young man and the ideas of our candidate. But that’s as it should be in a democratic process,” she said.

Retired police officer Mike Thomas is the NDP candidate in Niagara West—Glanbrook.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/10/25/joe-oliver-to-run-for-ontario-tories-in-2018-election.html
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good score for Brown. If he can get Oliver elected, it brings some gravitas to the table.

If there are other former federal Conservatives that want to run, why not? It gives people a sense that a team is being assembled, because, by next election, the people will want to run Wynne out of town on a rail. (Warning: I've been wrong before.)
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very good get for the PCs
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Its a very good get for the PCs

I think its really a 1 shot deal though , at his age , he'll likely just run in 2018 and then retire after one term if he gets elected . he doesn't represent the long term future of the Ontario pc's in York centre but an interesting candidate for 2018
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
It's a good score for Brown. If he can get Oliver elected, it brings some gravitas to the table.

If there are other former federal Conservatives that want to run, why not? It gives people a sense that a team is being assembled, because, by next election, the people will want to run Wynne out of town on a rail. (Warning: I've been wrong before.)

there is a number of former mp's and candidates interested in running for the provincial party , the prospects at queens park are seen as better than in Ottawa for conservatives . not many of the defeated mp's seem that interested in waiting for next federal election to try and recapture old ridings , a provincial run on the other hand appears to have more potential as wynne so unpopular
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( it mentions in here that there is another person running for the York centre nomination against Oliver )

Speedy PC nominations cause rumblings

christina-blizzard
By Christina Blizzard, Queen's Park Columnist
First posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:18 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:21 PM EDT

TORONTO - PC Leader Patrick Brown has an embarrassment of riches — and no way to manage the legions of folk who want to run for the party in 2018.

With Premier Kathleen Wynne struggling at record low approval numbers, the conservative world is hammering at the PC gates.

There are rumblings among some Tories that Brown is forcing through speedy nominations in order to cut off some candidates and favour others.

Nominations in 25 key ridings were recently moved up by weeks.

“Patrick has handpicked 25 people to run,” one Tory insider told me. Would-be candidates say the early nomination calls are forcing them to scramble to sell memberships.

Unlike Liberals, Tories nominate candidates by a vote at the riding level. That means strong candidates are fighting each other, when they should be battling Liberals.

So why the haste when the election’s not until 2018? Some out-of-work federal Tories are looking for the nod — especially in the GTA and Ottawa.

Former Conservative MP Paul Calandra is seeking the nomination in Markham-Stouffville, while former Tory Senate staffer Karma Macgregor is vying for Ottawa West-Nepean.

Parm Gill, who represented Brampton North federally, is showing up at events with Brown, fuelling speculation he may run.

In York Centre, highly respected former federal finance minister Joe Oliver is slugging it out against a young lawyer, Roman Baber.

There’s some urgency to that nomination, since longtime Liberal incumbent Monte Kwinter has been unwell and underwent surgery last year. If he quits, it would trigger a byelection in a riding that’s low-hanging fruit for the Tories.

Still, pitting two strong candidates against each other seems bad planning. Brown needs Oliver’s street cred in finance to give gravitas to his campaign. And he needs the fresh ideas and new face Baber brings.

In an interview Thursday, Baber said the Tory system of nominations is fine by him.

“Patrick Brown is clear that he wants fair and open nominations, and that’s the reality on the ground,” Baber said. Oliver wasn’t available for comment.

“Just look at what happened in Niagara last weekend,” he said, pointing to the shocking win by 19-year-old Sam Oosterhoff over the PC Party’s president and v-p, Rick Dykstra and Tony Quirk.

Born in the Soviet Union, Baber moved to Israel then came to Canada at age 15. His father sold ice cream off a bicycle. His mother was an unemployed teacher and he put himself through law school — an experience he says is typical of the riding.

Quirk, by the way, is now running Oosterhoff’s campaign and told me by email the young man won by hard work.

“Sam’s win was well earned and hard fought for. The work ethic of this young man will serve him well during the campaign and as an advocate for the riding,” Quirk said.

In Simcoe North, Jill Dunlop, daughter of Garfield Dunlop, is running. Garfield quit to make way for Brown. The riding splits in two and Brown will run in the riding to the south that includes Oro-Medonte.

Brown said he welcomes the contested nominations and says they’re healthy for the party and bring in thousands of new members.

“If you can win convincingly in Scarborough-Rouge River, it shows that every seat is up for grabs,” he said. “It really grows the grassroots of the party.”

He dismissed the notion he’s playing favourites by moving up the nominations.

“Only the riding associations that gave consent to having a nomination meeting are having a nomination meeting, So it’s only with local support that a nomination happens,” Brown said.

You’d think with 15 new ridings, it would be easy to find a place for everyone to run. I guess being popular isn’t easy.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016.....-rumblings
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Joe Oliver has lost his bid for the pc nomination in York centre )

Former federal finance minister loses Ontario PC nomination battle

Toronto lawyer Roman Baber beats Joe Oliver for chance to run in York Centre

Ainslie Cruickshank

Sunday, January 15th, 2017

Former Finance Minister Joe Oliver lost his bid for the Ontario Progressive Conservative nomination in York Centre Sunday night.

The riding membership nominated Roman Baber, a civil and commercial lawyer who worked on Patrick Brown’s leadership campaign, as their 2018 candidate instead.

“A long-time resident of York Centre, Roman understands the opportunities and challenges his community faces,” said PC Leader Patrick Brown in a statement following the nomination contest.

“I would also like to thank the Honourable Joe Oliver on running a great campaign. I am proud that our Party is attracting so many distinguished Ontarians such as Joe, and we thank him for his ongoing commitment to the Progressive Conservative cause,” he said.

Oliver, 76, was Conservative MP for Toronto’s Eglinton—Lawrence riding from 2011 to 2015, serving as both the minister of Natural Resources and the minister of Finance during that term.

He was defeated in 2015, when the Liberals swept to power.

In October, Oliver said running for the PC nomination was “an opportunity to make a real difference.”

“I view this as a pivotal moment in the province’s economic history. I really strongly feel we’ve got to turn things around and I believe that I can contribute to that,” he said, highlighting his experience in capital markets, finance, and economics.

On Sunday, he congratulated Baber on his nomination and said he hopes Baber wins against Premier Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals as part of Brown’s team.

Liberal MPP Monte Kwinter has represented the York Centre riding since 1999. Before that he served as the MPP for Wilson Heights between 1985 and 1999.

On his website Baber says he has been an “avid Conservative activist” since his undergraduate studies when he served as president of the York University Conservative Club.

Baber lived in the Soviet Union and Israel before moving to Canada and settling in York Centre with his family when he was 15 years old. He is fluent in both Russian and Hebrew, he notes on his website.

The PCs have so far nominated 34 candidates for the 2018 election. Among them are other former Conservative MPs who have been successful in their bids for PC nominations, including Stephen Harper’s former parliamentary secretary Paul Calandra who will represent the PCs in Markham-Stouffville and Daryl Kramp, who will run in Hastings-Lennox and Addington.

But Oliver isn’t the first big-name candidate to be defeated in Ontario PC nominations.

In October, 19-year-old MPP Sam Oosterhooff defeated PC party president and ex-Conservative MP Rick Dykstra to win the nomination for the Niagara-West Glanbrook by-election, which he later won.

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/01/15/former-federal-finance-minister-loses-ontario-pc-nomination-battle/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( mainstreet also did a poll for York Centre

its results were

with no candidates given - 40 pc , 22 lib , 10 ndp , 3 green , 25 undecided

Oliver vs Kwinter - 32 oliver , 28 kwinter , 9 Fagan , 25 undecided

Baber vs Kwinter - 30 kwinter , 27 Baber , 9 Fagan , 29 undecided

its interesting that the liberals poll better with Kwinter an mpp who hasn't even been in the legislature for months due to health problems and who likely won't run again anyways )

York Centre Poll

January 11, 2017|Mainstreet|Public Polling, Toronto

Please see the embedded report for the results of a York Centre poll commissioned by Joe Oliver.

METHODOLOGY

Mainstreet surveyed a random sample of 785 York Centre residents by Chimera IVR on January 4th, 2017. A mixture of landlines and cell phones were surveyed, results were adjusted among age and gender variables. Margin of error: +/- 3.5%, 19 times out of 20. Respondents were screened to determine voting eligibility.

http://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/york-centre-poll/
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea Joe Oliver was 76 years old and would have been 78 by the time of the 2018 Election.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upstart Roman Baber trounces Joe Oliver in Ontario PC battle

Former finance minister Joe Oliver is the latest federal Conservative to lose a bid to run for Patrick Brown’s provincial Tories in next year’s election.

Roman Baber, 36, who was born in Russia and came to Canada from Israel at age 15, now hopes to wrest the Toronto seat from Liberal Monte Kwinter. (romanbaber.ca)

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Mon., Jan. 16, 2017

Another one bites the dust.

Former finance minister Joe Oliver is the latest federal Conservative to lose a bid to run for Patrick Brown’s provincial Tories in next year’s election.

Oliver, 76, was trounced Sunday in the York Centre nomination contest by upstart lawyer Roman Baber.

Baber, 36, who was born in Russia and came to Canada from Israel at age 15, beat the Tory titan by 711 to 465 votes.

“I felt that my hard work would be rewarded,” he said in an interview Monday, noting his outreach to the riding’s Russian, Filipino, Tamil, Lebanese, and Vietnamese communities.

Baber now hopes to wrest the Toronto seat from Liberal Monte Kwinter, 85, who has represented the riding for almost 32 years and is the oldest MPP in Ontario history.

“A long-time resident of York Centre, Roman understands the opportunities and challenges his community faces,” Brown said in a statement.

“Through our open nomination process Roman has proven he will work hard to build a stronger York Centre and Ontario,” he said.

“I am proud that our party is attracting so many distinguished Ontarians such as Joe, and we thank him for his ongoing commitment to the Progressive Conservative cause.”

Oliver, who was former prime minister Stephen Harper’s treasurer until losing his Eglinton-Lawrence seat in the federal Tories’ October 2015 defeat, had hoped to mount a comeback in the June 7, 2018 Ontario election.

“I congratulate Roman Baber on nomination for PC Party in York Centre,” he said on Twitter. “Hope he wins against Wynne Lib’ls as part of new Patrick Brown Gov’t.”

His loss comes after PC Party president Rick Dykstra, who was St. Catharines MP until losing in 2015, was stunned in the Niagara West-Glanbrook Tory nomination last October.

Dykstra, 50, was pasted by Sam Oosterhoff, a 19-year-old Brock University frosh, in a seat that had been held by former Tory leader Tim Hudak.

Oosterhoff, a social conservative backed by anti-abortion activists and those opposing the updated sex-education curriculum, romped to an easy victory in the Nov. 17 by-election, becoming the youngest MPP in Ontario history.

Last week, former Conservative MP Bob Dechert abandoned his bid for the Mississauga-Erin Mills nomination, complaining to the Toronto Sun that he had “lost confidence in the integrity of the party’s nomination process.”

So far only two defeated former Harper MPs — Paul Calandra in Markham-Stouffville and Daryl Kramp in Hastings-Lennox and Addington — have successfully secured PC nominations.

Brown has repeatedly claimed he would not play favourites in his party’s nomination process.

That has led to some messy battles at the local level

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/01/16/upstart-roman-baber-trounces-joe-oliver-in-ontario-pc-battle.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
I had no idea Joe Oliver was 76 years old and would have been 78 by the time of the 2018 Election.

its been mentioned a few times he was that old , I had seen it before , I'm not sure if his age worked against his campaign or not , he also represented a different riding federally (eglinton Lawrence ) and maybe the York centre run just seemed out of place

I'd really have to wonder if Kwinter will run again ? he's the oldest mpp ever and hasn't even been to the legislature in some time , he is certainly a prime example of why some new blood is so desperately needed at queens park

Jump to: