Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: BC lib and NDP mla's retiring before next election Reply with quote

( a post about some of the numerous mla's in BC retiring before the next election )

News
Terry Lake joins MLAs heading for retirement

Kamloops-North Thompson MLA Terry Lake served as environment minister and now health minister in the B.C. Liberal government. - Black Press files
Kamloops-North Thompson MLA Terry Lake served as environment minister and now health minister in the B.C. Liberal government.— image credit: Black Press files

by Tom Fletcher - BC Local News

posted Sep 1, 2016 at 9:00 AM— updated Sep 1, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Health Minister Terry Lake is the second senior cabinet minister in Premier Christy Clark's government to announce he won't be running in the B.C. election next spring.

The B.C. Liberal Party confirmed Thursday that Lake is retiring, joining Energy and Mines Minister Bill Bennett. Lake was first elected in 2009 and served as environment minister before being appointed to the health ministry.

B.C. Liberal backbenchers who have announced they aren't running again include Comox Valley MLA Don McRae, Vancouver-Langara MLA Moira Stilwell and Peace River North MLA Pat Pimm.

On the NDP benches, Esquimalt-Royal Roads MLA Maurine Karagianis also confirmed Thursday she will retire after three terms. She joins NDP veterans Columbia River-Revelstoke MLA Norm Macdonald, Cowichan Valley MLA Bill Routley, Skeena MLA Robin Austin, Burnaby-Deer Lake MLA Kathy Corrigan and one-term Burnaby-Lougheed MLA Jane Shin.

Clark and NDP leader John Horgan have asked all MLAs to make their intentions known by the end of summer so they can prepare their cabinet and critic assignments before the election scheduled for May 9, 2017.

http://www.vicnews.com/news/392036761.html
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Independent MLA Vicki Huntington won't seek re-election

Huntington, who has represented Delta South since 2009, is B.C.'s only elected indpendent MLA

By Justin McElroy, CBC News Posted: Jan 10, 2017 10:45 PM PT| Last Updated: Jan 10, 2017 10:45 PM PT

Vicki Huntington, MLA for Delta South, says she won't be running for a third term in this year's provincial election.

Residents of Delta South will be electing a new MLA come May.

Independent MLA Vicki Huntington announced Tuesday that she won't be running in this year's provincial election, scheduled for May 9.

"I know how much we have all believed in the need for a true representative of the people, a representative that speaks on behalf of the people — and the issues — in our riding," she wrote in a letter to supporters.

"This is not an easy time for either me or my wonderful team ... and this is certainly not an easy message for me to give to all of you. But I do know that, together, we have made history in British Columbia."

Huntington was first elected in the 2009 election by just 32 votes over B.C. Liberal cabinet minister Wally Oppal, becoming the first person to be elected as an independent MLA in B.C. since 1949.

She was subsequently re-elected in 2013 by over 2,500 votes, and was respected by members of the legislature by all parties.

The riding includes all parts of Delta outside of North Delta. Prior to Huntington's election, the district had been held by the B.C. Liberals since 1991.

They have already chosen councillor Ian Paton as their nominee in this year's election, while the NDP have yet to select a candidate.

Prior to Huntington's announcement, the Green Party had previously said they wouldn't be running a candidate in the riding because they valued her independence.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.3930354
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surrey MLA Sue Hammell to retire from office

by Tom Zytaruk - Surrey Now

Surrey posted Jan 4, 2017 at 3:00 PM

SURREY — Veteran Surrey New Democrat MLA Sue Hammell is retiring from public life this spring after serving five terms in office to spend more time with her husband John Pollard, whom she said is "quite ill."

The couple have been married for 37 years.

Hammell, a former cabinet minister, said it's been her "incredible privilege" to serve the constituents of Surrey-Green Timbers over the past 20 years.

"I'm going to miss it," she said. "I love the job."

"However, my husband's recent serious illness means I must devote more time to my family."

Hammell said her job as MLA "is just too big and too consuming" to do both.

She served as executive assistant to former mayor Bob Bose before being first elected as a Surrey NDP MLA in 1991.

Re-elected in 1996, 2005, 2009 and 2013, Hammell served in many roles in both government and opposition, among them minister of housing, recreation and consumer services, minister responsible for co-operatives and the minister of women's equality. She has most recently served as the official opposition critic for mental health and substance abuse.

The NDP will select an MLA candidate for Surrey-Green Timbers at a nomination meeting at the end of January. There are of course no declared nominees yet because Hammell has just announced she won't run.

Meantime, she will finish her term into the May 9 general election and intends to campaign for the NDP.

Hammell said she had been "looking forward to joining BC's next premier, John Horgan, in government."

Horgan, the NDP's leader, said Hammell has proven "tireless in her advocacy for women's rights and B.C.'s families.

"It has been an absolute pleasure to have her on our team," he said. "While I wish she was by my side as we elect a New Democrat government this coming May, family always comes first."

tom.zytaruk@thenownewspaper.com

http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/409706005.html
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC Election is a tough one to call;
The Liberals and NDP are basically statistically tied, however if there is any validity to the Greens being in the mid teens they could easily cost the NDP several seats.

In that case the Liberals could easily win a majority with 40%
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the party's nominations the Liberals seem much better organized. Have a huge chunk of their candidates nominated with 5 months to go, the NDP on the other hand still have many to nominate.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
BC Election is a tough one to call;
The Liberals and NDP are basically statistically tied, however if there is any validity to the Greens being in the mid teens they could easily cost the NDP several seats.

In that case the Liberals could easily win a majority with 40%

I haven't really been following it that closely , for a government that realistically should be past its best before date the BC liberals are still well positioned going into this election , a few mla's are retiring but nothing drastic and some ndp mla's are leaving to .
the voters don't seem as tired of them as one might expect although there is always a risk of change or voters choosing someone else after being in power for that long . although the last bc ndp government was so horrible people might not have forgot about it

Jump to: