Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Chretien secretly ordered CBC to ridicule Stockwell Day Reply with quote

( its been known for some time the election 2000 was especially dirty , from secret deals with ndp and pc's to extremely biased news media coverage against the new Canadian Alliance party , but a book has revealed something we didn't know the liberals ordered CBC comedy shows , I'm assuming this hour has 22 minutes or Canadian air farce to attack and ridicule the opposition leader , to the point of organizing an entire campaign to have his name changed to doris , the fact the liberals allegedly had this sort of power over the CBC and used it to help them win the election is very troubling )

December 08, 2016

REVEALED: Chretien secretly ordered CBC comedy show to ridicule Stockwell Day

Ezra Levant
Rebel Commander

It's presented as a funny anecdote, but a story about Liberal PM Jean Chretien, in a new book by PM Tony Blair's top aide, accidentally reveals the prime minister ordering the CBC to air an attack on one of his opponents...

(quote from the clip

he had a good time with Jean Chretien who told him the hilarious story of how opposition leader stockwell day made a pledge that if 3 % of the population wanted a referendum on any issue , they could have it , so the liberals got a tv station to organize a 3 % write in campaign for stockwell to change his name to Doris . it really took off , to the point the liberals even adopted "que sera sera " as their campaign song )

WATCH the rest of the show when you become a Premium Member of TheRebel.media.

http://www.therebel.media/reve.....ckwell_day
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( this article from 2000 , says that Rick Mercer started the petition , I guess its more like he was ordered by the liberals to start the petition )

'Doris Day' petition hits the mark

CBC News Posted: Nov 16, 2000 5:34 AM ET| Last Updated: Nov 16, 2000 5:34 PM ET

The CBC television show, "This Hour has 22 Minutes" now has more than enough signatures for its petition campaign to have Canadian Alliance leader Stockwell Day change his name to Doris Day

The show is using the Alliance referendum formula, that would allow a national vote on any issue, if three per cent of the electorate, or about 350,000 people, signed a petition.

So far, more than 370,000 people have signed the petition to have Day change his name.

The Alliance leader was asked about the show's campaign while he was electioneering in Vancouver. "I think 22 Minutes is a great show, and I think it's incredible," he says,"and all I can say is a name change is que sera sera."

Comedian Rick Mercer says he started the petition, because he wanted to show that any idiot could trigger a referendum.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....k-1.209426
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Rick Mercer claimed in 2000 to have created the idea himself from any of the articles I can find on the incident but it appears he was taking orders from the liberals to do this stunt )

Stockwell as Doris would make surfers' Day

Campbell Clark

OTTAWA — CAMPBELL CLARK

Published Friday, Nov. 17, 2000 12:00AM EST

An outpouring of grassroots support in this campaign has reached a milestone, as Internet surfers clamour for Canada's new sweetheart: Doris Day, née Stockwell.

The Internet petition launched by comics at the CBC television show This Hour Has 22 minutes, demanding that Canadian Alliance Leader Stockwell Day be forced to change his name to Doris, surpassed 3 per cent of Canadian voters yesterday, and kept on tallying supporters.

By 7 p.m. yesterday, the petition had logged 478,425 electronic "signatures," well over the roughly 350,000 that constitutes the 3 per cent of Canadian voters that would, under one Canadian Alliance proposal, be enough to trigger a binding referendum.

Mr. Day had said even before the Internet petition that he felt 3 per cent was too low, but refused to specify another threshold.

"I think it means the Alliance will raise the bar," comic Rick Mercer, who launched the petition, said after it broke the 400,000-mark.

The Doris Day petition has taken off with amazing speed, logging about 17,000 votes when Mr. Mercer first aired his rant on Monday night suggesting the name-change campaign. After he appeared on television interviews and garnered newspaper coverage, the pace quickened and individuals began circulating chain e-mails urging people to sign.

Mr. Mercer said he started it mostly as a joke about the Alliance's referendum policy, but "it's serious to the extent that it's an absurd idea, open to abuse."

On the campaign trail yesterday, Mr. Day ducked a question on whether the spoof undermines his party's position on allowing citizens to launch a referendum by getting a few hundred thousand names on a petition.

"I think it's a great show and I think it's incredible, and all I can say is whether we're successful on any of these changes, que sera sera," he joked.

Mr. Mercer said he just thinks the Doris Day idea, "has a nice ring to it," and he's not asking Mr. Day to change his personality or his gender.

"He could carry on leading his right-wing party as Doris, or the honourable Doris," Mr. Mercer said. "It might soften his edges. It could help him win some votes in the East.

"It could be the breakthrough he's looking for."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....le4168945/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is new. The reason it was denied at the time (by the public broadcaster) but it was pretty obvious. There were even rumours about some incentive that Rick Mercer had received.

But we all know the CBC lies, don't we? Don't we?

Justin was thoughtful enough to offer the CBC a $150,000,000 performance bonus if he won the election!

They go beyond that, of course, in reinforcing the attitudes the government wants the public to have. I quit listening to the CBC radio yesterday because they went on for hours with the stories of the aboriginal girls that have gone missing over the decades. There is no mention, of course, of the number of missing or unsolved murder have happened to aboriginal men, because, as far as the CBC is concerned, men don't count.

Because the implication is that white men must have had something to do with these poor girls, often drug addicts who are selling sex for their next fix. As the radio program made clear. They attacked the RCMP, and police in general, but when does someone recognize that solving these crimes, committed against transients to these communities, is difficult. How do you start an investigation?

But it builds the narrative that men are all vile bastards who don't care. Which is the point -- stirring up hate.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I don't think this is new. The reason it was denied at the time (by the public broadcaster) but it was pretty obvious. There were even rumours about some incentive that Rick Mercer had received.

But we all know the CBC lies, don't we? Don't we?

Justin was thoughtful enough to offer the CBC a $150,000,000 performance bonus if he won the election!

They go beyond that, of course, in reinforcing the attitudes the government wants the public to have. I quit listening to the CBC radio yesterday because they went on for hours with the stories of the aboriginal girls that have gone missing over the decades. There is no mention, of course, of the number of missing or unsolved murder have happened to aboriginal men, because, as far as the CBC is concerned, men don't count.

Because the implication is that white men must have had something to do with these poor girls, often drug addicts who are selling sex for their next fix. As the radio program made clear. They attacked the RCMP, and police in general, but when does someone recognize that solving these crimes, committed against transients to these communities, is difficult. How do you start an investigation?

But it builds the narrative that men are all vile bastards who don't care. Which is the point -- stirring up hate.

what annoys me about this story is the whole Doris day petition and CBC attack on this one time Canadian alliance policy , killed any hope of citizen referendum coming to Canada for a generation . and pretty much forced the conservatives to abandon the policy after this embarrassment

they have citizen referendum's in the US and they can work very well on specific issues , its a way for the public to have there say at the ballot box on a hot button issue or any issue worthy

this was real policy and shouldn't of been treated like a joke on this hour has 22 minutes , if this had come to Canada , I think it would of benefited our democracy greatly and voters would of had a say on many issues
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chretien secretly ordered CBC to ridicule Stockwell Day Reply with quote

[quote="RCO"] ..., the fact the liberals allegedly had this sort of power over the CBC and used it to help them win the election is very troubling ) [/quote]
Can you imagine if this were even remotely true?

LOL.

Gosh, sure hope CBC didnt drug Stockwell then tie him on the Sea Doo.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chretien secretly ordered CBC to ridicule Stockwell Day Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
RCO wrote:
..., the fact the liberals allegedly had this sort of power over the CBC and used it to help them win the election is very troubling )

Can you imagine if this were even remotely true?

LOL.

Gosh, sure hope CBC didnt drug Stockwell then tie him on the Sea Doo.

I'd prefer to believe the author of this book over the CBC , Jean Chretien and Rick Mercer
, what is the reason or motivation for the author to make this story up ? I don't see any ( he isn't even from Canada ) , he wouldn't of wrote about it unless chretien actually told him the story

Rick Mercer is widely viewed as a progressive/liberal partisan and he would of gladly helped the liberals get re-elected in 2000 , which is why he pushed the doris day petition so heavily during the election
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Chretien secretly ordered CBC to ridicule Stockwell Day Reply with quote

RCO wrote:

I'd prefer to believe the author of this book over the CBC , Jean Chretien and Rick Mercer

In the absence of any proof? Ok. The Rebel is the only one who is trying to convince anyone that Chretien did this, sorry...ordered it.

Why that is , is beyond me. It would make a juicy story for all the papers and TV stations.

Oh sorry, I forgot. The MSM lies and dont want anyone to know.

The Rebel.....HA !
Quote:

, what is the reason or motivation for the author to make this story up ? I don't see any ( he isn't even from Canada ) , he wouldn't of wrote about it unless chretien actually told him the story

Its fairly vague isnt it? I wonder why?
Quote:

Rick Mercer is widely viewed as a progressive/liberal partisan and he would of gladly helped the liberals get re-elected in 2000 , which is why he pushed the doris day petition so heavily during the election
While sort-of true...it isnt based in reality.

Stick shot himself in the foot, rather the Alliance did that for him. (IIRC Stock never did say the 3% threshold was valid, Alliance did that)
They were pushing the direct democracy thing like running this country is akin to a game show or American Idol.

Mercer capitalized on this knoiwing that he could probably get to 3% if he could make it funny enough.

Guess what? He did.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Chretien secretly ordered CBC to ridicule Stockwell Day Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
RCO wrote:

In the absence of any proof? Ok. The Rebel is the only one who is trying to convince anyone that Chretien did this, sorry...ordered it.

Why that is , is beyond me. It would make a juicy story for all the papers and TV stations.

Oh sorry, I forgot. The MSM lies and dont want anyone to know.

The Rebel.....HA !
Quote:

Its fairly vague isnt it? I wonder why?
Quote:

While sort-of true...it isnt based in reality.

Stick shot himself in the foot, rather the Alliance did that for him. (IIRC Stock never did say the 3% threshold was valid, Alliance did that)
They were pushing the direct democracy thing like running this country is akin to a game show or American Idol.

Mercer capitalized on this knoiwing that he could probably get to 3% if he could make it funny enough.

Guess what? He did.

the Rebel posts many stories the regular media wouldn't bother to publish , I don't see the fact they were the only ones to publish it as a reason to discount the story .

from what I read and saw in the video , its a part out of a book written by someone from the UK who was involved in politics and sat beside chretien on a plane once and this " funny story " came out

I don't see any reason for him to make the whole thing up and his paragraph in the book fits in very closely to what actually happened that election except it was not known that the liberals were involved with creating the Doris day petition until now

Stockwell Day ran such a horrible campaign he would of lost anyways even without the added negative press this petition created

the wikileaks out of the US election also revealed a level of co-operation between the media and liberal parties that we weren't aware of , Hilary Clinton's campaign was also alleged to have worked very closely with some media outlets , but of course they want us to also disreguard that story claiming the Russians were trying influence the election
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think that "ordered" is a bit much;

However, Its not exactly unlikely that the CBC or employees of the CBC would be more incline to poke fun at politicians who have vowed to de-fund them over those who do not.

It also happened 16 years ago;
We were all better off for the Alliance losing and the CPC being born three years later.

If that is the case;
Thanks Rick!
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC is a glib troll, not a serious person at all. You should just ignore him, RCO. After all, he can't prove he doesn't suck dicks either.

I remember this period very well. The media was virtually being run out of Warren Kinsella's office. Day had been a highly respected Minister of Finance in the Alberta government. The main attack was on Day's religious faith. Kinsella appeared on talk show, news broadcasts, the gamut, carrying a purple Dinosaur, and trying to force Day to say, yes or no, to evolution! (Do you remember the egregious song, going with Barney the Dinosaur?)

The idea was that you couldn't be a Christian unless you were stupid to the point of brain damage. The CBC led the attack, and the rest of the media followed.

Day didn't run a bad campaign. Chretien called an election before Day could establish much of a public profile. They created -- Kinsella, certainly -- an atmosphere of intense ridicule rather than deal with the budgetary issues that were foremost in the campaign. Day actually made some headway in Ontario but had no presence in those areas where Danny Williams is held in high esteem.

Mercer joined in on that and was lavishly promoted by Paul Martin.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
TC is a glib troll, not a serious person at all. You should just ignore him, RCO. After all, he can't prove he doesn't suck dicks either.

Just because I turned you down when you were begging is no reason to be so bitter....or juvenile.
Anyhow...
Quote:

I remember this period very well.

Apparently not as we can see.
Quote:
Day had been a highly respected Minister of Finance in the Alberta government. The main attack was on Day's religious faith. Kinsella appeared on talk show, news broadcasts, the gamut, carrying a purple Dinosaur, and trying to force Day to say, yes or no, to evolution! (Do you remember the egregious song, going with Barney the Dinosaur?)

True he was respected, reducing debt levels , cleaning up the WCB. But Kinsella had the Barney to ask about the Young Earth junk, the 6000 yr old Earth and Dino's walking with man.
Smart man Day, but his past caught up to him.
Quote:

The idea was that you couldn't be a Christian unless you were stupid to the point of brain damage.

Not so sure about that, but if one were to be Christian '...and Dinos walked the earth with man" ...then of course that person would be stupid!

Please dont tell me you believe that shite too!
Quote:

Day didn't run a bad campaign. Chretien called an election before Day could establish much of a public profile. They created -- Kinsella, certainly -- an atmosphere of intense ridicule rather than deal with the budgetary issues that were foremost in the campaign. Day actually made some headway in Ontario but had no presence in those areas where Danny Williams is held in high esteem.

Absolutely !

Jump to: