Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Ontario pc's holding some early nomination meetings Reply with quote

( the election may be a long ways off yet but some candidates are already being nominated )

Nov 11, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Calandra is Markham-Stouffville's Ontario PC nominee for next election

Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown made the announcement on Nov. 11

Former MP Paul Calandra is now the candidate for the Ontario PC Party for the upcoming provincial election in 2018, announced Nov. 11, 2016.

Stouffville Sun-Tribune
By Ali Raza

Paul Calandra has been nominated by the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario as the Markham-Stouffville candidate for the 2018 provincial election.

Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown made the announcement on Nov. 11.

“Having served seven years as a Member of Parliament, Paul’s experience will allow him to continue to serve the people of Markham-Stouffville well,” Brown said in a statement. “I would also like to thank Farid Wassef and John Himanen for running strong campaigns and for their contribution to the Ontario PC cause.”

Calandra announced his run for the nomination in September; Wassef and Himanen announced shortly afterward. A nomination meeting was slated for May/June 2017, but the party has nominated Calandra earlier.

In the statement announcing the nomination, Calandra said the Liberal government under Kathleen Wynne is the reason why he decided to run.

“The Kathleen Wynne Liberals have made life harder for the people of Ontario and I could no longer sit idly by,” Calandra said.

“That’s why I’m running to be Markham-Stouffville’s next MPP. I hope to bring my experience and passion to the table, serving as a strong voice for his city and community at Queen’s Park,” he added.

The 42nd Ontario general election will take place June 7, 2018.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news.....-election/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a new candidate Goldie Ghamari was nominated in the new Carleton riding near Ottawa )

Nov 05, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Goldie Ghamari wins PC nomination

In new provincial Carleton riding

Goldie Ghamari (left) serves cupcakes to Robert Ralph (right) at one of her earlier nomination campaign meetings in Richmond.

Stittsville News
By John Curry

Goldie Ghamari will carry the Progressive Conservative banner in the 2018 provincial election in the new riding of Carleton.

This riding stretches from Stittsville and Richmond in the west across the southern edge of the city of Ottawa through North Gower and Manotick and including Metcalfe and Riverside South before reaching the eastern boundary of the city. It has the same boundaries as the federal riding of Carleton represented currently by MP Pierre Poilievre.

Ghamari was the selected nominee at a PC nomination meeting in North Gower on Saturday, Nov. 5, defeating the only other candidate, Brandon Purcell.

On being nominated, Ghamari proclaimed that the Ontario PC party is the change that Ontario residents need, saying that the current Liberal government is out of touch with the challenges that everyday families face. She cited high electricity prices, ongoing scandals and cuts to health care as reasons for people’s disenchantment with the governing Liberals.

She said that she wants to make a difference in politics and can’t wait to start knocking on doors, meeting with voters and spreading a message of change to the residents of Carleton riding.

Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown has voiced his view that Ghamari will be a strong voice for the people of Carleton.

“In many ways, Goldie’s story is Ontario’s story,” he said. “She’s the daughter of immigrants, who through hard work and determination gave their daughter a fulfilling life.”

“Goldie is a successful international trade lawyer with her own practice and an active community volunteer,” Brown said.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.....omination/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( former mp Susan Truppe wants to run in London North Centre , unsure of the date for this nomination meeting )

Former London MP Susan Truppe seeking PC nomination for provincial politics

Susan Truppe
Former federal MP for London North Centre announced on Friday, November 4th, 2016, that she's seeking the PC nomination to represent the riding provincially.

CTV London
Published Saturday, November 5, 2016 5:28PM EDT

Former Conservative MP Susan Truppe is throwing her hat back into the ring, this time in provincial politics.

Truppe announced Friday, November 4th, that she is seeking the Progressive Conservative nomination in London North Centre. She spent four years representing the federal version of that riding, until she was defeated by Liberal Peter Fragiskatos in last fall’s election. During her time as an MP, she served as the Parliamentary Secretary for the Status of Women as well as serving on the Standing Committee on the Status of Women and the Special Committee on Violence Against Indigenous Women.

The London North Centre riding she seeks has been held by MPP and Deputy Premier Deb Mathews since 2003. Truppe has identified high hydro rates under the governing Liberals as a top priority for her.

The 2018 provincial election will take place on or before June 7, 2018

http://london.ctvnews.ca/forme.....-1.3147711
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nov 07, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Ghamari chosen to represent Conservatives in new provincial Carleton riding

Ontario PC Party officials refuse to disclose vote breakdown

Goldie Ghamari speaks to the crowd at the Alred Taylor Centre in North Gower on Nov. 5 after voting results revealed she had been nominated as the PC Party candidate in the new provincial Carleton riding.

Ottawa South News
By Erin McCracken

Cheers and applause erupted as Goldie Ghamari was elected as the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party nominee in the new Carleton riding after a controversial nomination campaign.

“I’m so honoured and I’m really humbled to have earned your trust, and I promise you I will not let you down,” Ghamari said from the stage of the Alfred Taylor Centre in North Gower following a nomination vote on Nov. 5 in which she defeated rival Brandon Purcell of Stittsville.

She said in her 10-month campaign she drove to nearly every corner of the new provincial riding, making stops in Metcalfe, Stittsville, Ashton, Munster, Richmond, North Gower, Kars, Vernon and Manotick, and credited those who supported her.

The trade lawyer said it was unfortunate that attacks were made against her during the campaign.

“I just wanted to let you know that despite these attacks I didn’t quit. I didn’t give up and I will never give up.”
- Goldie Ghamari, Carleton PC Party nominee

“Attacks have included racial smears, lies about my decency and my loyalty to Canada,” she said. “And I just wanted to let you know that despite these attacks I didn’t quit. I didn’t give up and I will never give up.”

When Purcell took to the stage after the vote result was announced, he focused on the importance of advocating for “a PC-united party,” prompting applause and cheers.

“And the key to winning this riding after today is going to be for all members, because if we are divided then (Premier) Kathleen Wynne wins again,” he said before introducing Ghamari in her new role.

PROCESS

The vote breakdown was not disclosed by party officials.

Purcell’s father, John, expressed concern to Metroland Media after the meeting that the official ballot count had not been announced. However, Purcell said he, as a candidate, chose not to learn the tally.

“One of my volunteers was a scrutineer back there, but I’m fine not knowing,” he said. “It’s just not something I want to think about right now.”

He reiterated that his focus is on ensuring the party is unified.

“At the end, this was a divisive campaign,” Purcell said, adding he and his competition spent the bulk of the race concentrating on their own campaigns, but that this changed by the end of the nomination campaign.

“A lot of people were upset, and what’s needed is unity and I was the only voice in the room who could actually do that,” Purcell said of his final speech.

He said he will now focus on finishing his university degree over the next month, but that he plans to seek another political nomination in the future, possibly at the provincial level again.

Bob Stanley, executive director of the Ontario PC Party, said the voting numbers are not publicly disclosed, but did reveal that more than 300 ballots had been cast.

It’s not a party constitution rule, he said, adding, “There’s just no purpose served in it.”

When asked why the numbers wouldn’t be disclosed in case it had been a close vote, prompting a candidate to contest the results and request a recount – a concern raised by Purcell’s father – Stanley said, “Both sides were satisfied with the vote.”

Tamara Macgregor, director of communications for the Ontario PC Party and PC Party leader Patrick Brown, initially said the party would provide the voting count.

But following the announcement that Ghamari had won, Macgregor said she didn’t know what the vote breakdown was but would email the tally. She later did not respond to an emailed request for that information and the total ballots cast.

In the lead up to the nomination meeting, a number of complaints were directed at Ghamari and the Carleton PC Riding Association around the optics at the founding meeting in August, that Ghamari sits on the association’s board of directors, whether the Alfred Taylor Centre could accommodate enough Conservatives for a nomination meeting, and the time frame allotted for voting registration.

More changes raised eyebrows at the nomination meeting.

As voters waited to cast their ballots, Purcell said last-minute changes had been made to the nomination meeting schedule.

Purcell said he received a letter on Nov. 2 informing him that candidate speeches would begin at 9 a.m., followed by registration and voting. Originally, the registration was slotted for 9 to 10 a.m., followed by speeches and then registration and voting.

Purcell said those changes forced him to cancel an early morning pre-nomination meeting breakfast at the Manotick United Church where he planned to meet residents of the riding.

“We weren’t expecting this second (letter). I received no explanation as to why it changed at the last minute,” he said.

“The riding (association) asked for more time,” Macgregor said of the registration process.

Liz MacKinnon, president of the Carleton PC Riding Association, said party members received an updated notice by mail about the changes on Oct. 1 and that it was done to accommodate busy farmers in the community.

For those with their minds made up, they could skip the speeches and drop in between 9:30 and 11 a.m. to register and vote, MacKinnon said, adding that party officials made the scheduling change but she felt enough advance notice about the amended schedule had been provided.

While she said she didn’t know the change was being made because “the party ran the whole show,” she said the revised schedule was more efficient for voters. “If they don’t want to sit through speeches and stand in long lines to be registered, that’s easy for people.”

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.....on-riding/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( adam Ibrahim was nominated for the Ontario pc's in the ndp stronghold of Windsor west )

Adam Ibrahim to run in Windsor West for the Ontario PC Party

Adam Ibrahim
Adam Ibrahim was nominated on Saturday, November 5th, 2016 as the Windsor West candidate for the Ontario PC Party.

CTV Windsor
Published Saturday, November 5, 2016 2:09PM EDT

A new candidate has been named in Windsor West for the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party.

Adam Ibrahim will represent the party in the 2018 election. He was acclaimed the morning of Saturday, November 5th, 2016 at Royal Canadian Legion Branch 143. The party says Ibrahim has brought with him hundreds of new members to the Ontario PC party.

PC leader Patrick Brown said in a statement, “I am very confident that Adam will be a strong voice for the Ontario PC Party’s positive message of change.”

Ibrahim was born and raised in Windsor. He is a graduate of St. Clair College and has worked at the Ontario Legislative Assembly in Queen's Park as a senior advisor. Ibrahim also runs his family-owned business Windsor Pure & Clean H2O to Go.

After his nomination, Ibrahim said, “I am here to show the people of Windsor that regardless of who you are, where you work, or where you worship, you have a home in the Ontario PC party and I will make it a priority to have your voice heard.”

http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/adam.....-1.3147600
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Ross Romano was nominated in Sault Ste Marie currently a liberal riding )

City councillor Ross Romano to seek Tory seat at Queen’s Park; applauds PCs plugging fiscal responsibility, social liberalism

By Jeffrey Ougler, Sault Star

Sunday, November 6, 2016 7:08:04 EST PM

Ward 5 Coun. Ross Romano (left), joins Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown (second from left), and MPPs Vic Fedeli and Norm Miller, at a press conference.

Ward 5 Coun. Ross Romano (left), joins Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown (second from left), and MPPs Vic Fedeli and Norm Miller, at a press conference.

SAULT STE. MARIE - A Sault Ste. Marie city councillor hopes to make the jump from the Civic Centre to Queen’s Park.

Ward 6 Coun. Ross Romano, acclaimed Friday night during a Provincial Conservative Association nomination meeting, will run for member of provincial parliament in the Sault Ste. Marie riding during the next provincial election, slated for 2018.

“I'm excited for the opportunity,” he told The Sault Star on Saturday.

Romano, a Sault Ste. Marie lawyer who was born and raised in the city, said he believes government must be fiscally responsible.

“That sort of just naturally aligned into the (Progressive) Conservative value system,” he said of his decision to run for the Tories.

“The Liberal government has made it very difficult on Ontario families ... It's very difficult for people to just manage on a month-to-month basis with all the escalation in hydro rates and all the cuts to health care.”

The first-term councillor, who said he has no plans to step down, said high electricity costs remain one of the most pressing issues facing both families and business owners. Overspending by the provincial government in some areas has led to “serious cuts” in health care, he added.

“We've got serious skill gaps in our education system (too) ... We are making ourselves such a difficult province to do business in,” he said.

A graduate of St. Mary's College, Romano, 37, holds an undergraduate degree from Algoma University and earned a law degree at the University of Windsor. He was called to the bar in July 2005.

The married father of three joined the law firm of O'Neill DeLorenzi Mendes in June 2014.

In a followup interview Sunday morning, Romano acknowledged some here have jumped the Tory ship, many now siding with the governing Grits.

Romano said he’s determined to woo such supporters back as well as break the Tories’ bleak showing here as of late; Sault Ste. Marie hasn’t had PC representation provincially for more than 30 years.

“That’s the goal … I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t think I could (do it),” Romano said. “I think it’s a good time for the (Progressive) Conservatives to take the reins again.”

The Sault Star reported in October 2003 the presence of at least two prominent citizens, Orlando Rosa and David Myers, both with a Tory history, among those at David Orazietti’s campaign headquarters, cheering on the former city councillor as he convincingly eclipsed incumbent NDP Tony Martin by more than 8,000 votes.

Just how “badly” the province has been governed for the past 13 years should give many on the fence food for thought, Romano said, citing Ontario’s $308-billion debt and monthly billion-dollar interest payments.

“That would be the third highest (costing) ministry we have right now behind only health care and education,” Romano said. “When you talk about those long-time (Progressive) Conservatives out there … Yeah, those are people who, obviously, I want the support of. But I want the support of everyone.”

Northern Ontario has been his especially hit hard by provincial policy, Romano said.

“Sault Ste. Marie is one of the prime examples of where the major problems of the Liberal government have been,” he said, citing hydro costs and how the region has overproduced power, which is ultimately sold elsewhere.

“They’re not planning a way to make it better for us here,” Romano said. “They’re selling that off at a fraction of the cost we paid to produce it.”

Romano also acknowledged provincial PC Leader Patrick Brown is steering the party in a more progressive direction, especially on the social front, perhaps moving toward a more Red Tory model, which Ontario hasn’t seen in decades.

“I think that’s probably a fair comment,” said Romano, but added he’s not fond of labels. “I think we’re a lot more progressive as opposed to using those other types of terminology, Red Tories and so on and so forth.”

He echoed his contention that government’s chief job is to ensure financial stability.

“The primary focus is we need to right this ship, we need to fix our ability to run this province in such a fashion it makes it attractive for businesses to come here and do business,” Romano said. “We need to make it a place that’s affordable for Ontario families.”

In September, Brown told the media he wants to lead a “fiscally conservative, socially liberal” party, conceding it was a “mistake” to earlier court social conservatives. Brown admitted then his office held secret negotiations with opponents of the updated sex-education curriculum before the Sept. 1 Scarborough-Rouge River byelection and “didn’t feel comfortable” with a strategy that saw the Tories hand out 13,000 letters in Scarborough pledging to “scrap” the sex-ed curriculum if elected in 2018.

Brown also said he regreted voting against same-sex marriage and abortion when he was a Conservative MP.

Many social conservatives who backed Brown in the May 2015 leadership contest were not amused.

Romano said he agrees with the direction in which the provincial party is headed, especially in a province where having an openly gay premier is a fact readily accepted by the mainstream.

“I think everybody needs to adapt with the times, parties included,” Romano said. “Times have certainly changed and we’re not out to make enemies, but you do so in the process of politics.

“There’s just no way you’re going to get very far tackling those types of issues in today’s day in age. People have spoken on that. Personally, I don’t think it’s the place of the government to be involved in those types of decisions. I use that adage, government has no place in people’s bedrooms.”

— with files from Mike Verdone

j.ougler@sunmedia.ca

On Twitter: @JeffreyOugler

http://www.saultstar.com/2016/.....liberalism
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

City councillor to serve as next PC candidate

He hasn't been nominated quite yet, but we're told he will be
7 shares
Nov 4, 2016 1:00 PM by: SooToday Staff

RossRomano2014Election
Ward 6 Councillor Ross Romano is pictured in this SooToday file photo.

Ward 6 City Councillor Ross Romano will run as the Sault's Progressive Conservative Candidate in the 2018 Ontario provincial election.

The party put out a media advisory today indicating Romano will be acclaimed at a riding association nomination meeting tonight.

Romano will be the first PC candidate nominated for the election, which is currently scheduled for June 7, 2018.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/city-councillor-to-serve-as-next-pc-candidate-456211
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( news of a challenge against high profile mpp Lisa Macleod in Nepean )

Brown to endorse MacLeod candidacy

Conservative heavyweight faces challenge from Ottawa businessman

Wednesday, November 9th, 2016

Progressive Conservative MPP Lisa MacLeod. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darren Calabrese

Kelsey Johnson

Ontario Conservative MPP Lisa MacLeod is facing a challenge in her bid to be the party’s candidate in Nepean in the 2018 election.

MacLeod, a popular MPP who has represented the area for 10 years, will have to face a challenge from Ottawa businessman Riven Zhang, who launched his campaign for the nomination on social media Sunday.

Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown has promised to hold open nominations, but there are signs that Zhang’s bid for the nomination is causing distress for Brown and MacLeod.

The normally media-friendly MacLeod has failed to respond to repeated requests for interviews, and Tamara Macgregor, Brown’s director of communications, took two days to respond to queries about Zhang’s stated desire to seek the nomination.

“The Party is running fair and open nominations,” Macgregor said in an email on Wednesday. “However, the Leader has endorsed MPP MacLeod and will support her and all of his incumbent caucus members.”

Zhang tweeted November 6 that he was seeking the Conservative candidacy for the new riding of Nepean. The riding was cut out of the old riding of Nepean-Carleton, currently held by MacLeod, because of rapid population growth.

An active member of the city’s Chinese community, Zhang is the co-founder and CEO of comefromChina.com and co-founder of Motion Pay technology Inc. – a third-party payment service aimed at making it easier for Canadian businesses to accept payments in Chinese yuan.

pleased to announce my candidacy for the @OntarioPCParty nomination in the riding of #nepean #PCPO pic.twitter.com/F0eaF1raWo

— Riven (@RivenZhang) November 6, 2016

Inline image 1

Zhang is also actively trying to recruit party members, using his Facebook and Twitter accounts to connect potential voters and direct them to the party’s membership site. Photos from the November 6 launch show Zhang flanked by more than fifty supporters.

A February 27 photo on his Facebook account shows him posing alongside prominent Ottawa Conservatives, including federal MP Pierre Poilievre and former cabinet minister John Baird.

Sign up now as an Ontario PC Party Member so you can support my nomination to be your MPP in #Nepean https://t.co/2jIkGgIN2U pic.twitter.com/LUsK4hMi3N

— Riven (@RivenZhang) November 7, 2016

Inline image 2

Sources tell iPolitics Zhang’s intentions have not gone over well with MacLeod and other high ranking Conservative party backers – many of whom have personally called Brown to ask him to intervene.

MacLeod is known within Conservative circles for her strong support for rural Ontario and, more recently, for going public about her personal battle with depression.

First elected in 2006, MacLeod has held the riding of Nepean-Carleton since 2006. She’s been re-elected four times and is the youngest woman ever to be elected MPP for the Ontario PC party. Her online bio states she is also only the second woman to be elected as a Conservative in Ottawa.

She has held several key portfolios in Conservative shadow cabinets, including education, energy, revenue and now treasury board.

The Ottawa Citizen reported in March Brown publicly endorsed MacLeod during a speech at the party’s three-day convention in Ottawa.

Brown has said he is committed to ensuring the Conservative party embraces diversity as it works to expand its base in the lead-up to the 2018 provincial election.

The Ontario Conservatives came under fire in late October when the party decided to drop Michael Nowak in Carleton after he referred to rival nomination candidate Goldie Ghamari as “Muslim trash.”

That nomination race also saw the party reject as a candidate Jay Tysick, a former senior aide to Ottawa City Councillor Rick Chiarelli and now a managing partner of Faraday Partners. Tysick told iPolitics he had not been given a reason for the party’s rejection of his nomination bid, despite asking for one.

Ghamari, an international trade lawyer, won the nomination at a meeting on Nov. 5.

With files from Stephen Maher and Ainslie Cruickshank

https://ipolitics.ca/2016/11/09/brown-to-endorse-macleod-candidacy/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New candidate seeking nomination for Ontario PC Party for Orléans

Kelly SniderPublished on October 28, 2016
Share 0

POLITICS. Cameron Montgomery is putting his name forward to be nominated as the provincial Progressive Conservative candidate for Orléans.

Montgomery, 45, will be hosting a meet and greet on Nov. 1 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Promenade Retirement Residence (110 Rossignol Dr.) However, before residents get a chance to meet him, we spoke with the nominee to find out why exactly he wants to represent the east end.

Why are you running for the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party in Orléans?

M: I'm an educator with 20 years of experience. Throughout my career I've been observing the best practices and challenges in the Ontario school system on both the Anglophone and Francophone side. I have been serving the public's needs in many ways since I became a professor so the pursuit of this nomination and the election is a continuation of my mission in the Ottawa-Orléans area. I have focused much of my work on developing educational leaders in Francophone communities, and I feel very much at home in the riding having worked in many of the Francophone schools for over 10 years.

How do you feel your current line of work would benefit if nominated as MPP for Ottawa-Orléans?

M: As a multilingual professional I appreciate the importance of inclusivity in forming policies and programs. I therefore see myself as a bridge builder for the incoming Progressive Conservative government under Patrick Brown. I'm taking everything under consideration, education is my strong point, but what's really standing out is the current economic system and expenses are going up. The cost of living is more expensive, and in line with that, our hydro rates are disproportionately high and that situation has been completely mismanaged. These are issues that are important to Orléans.

What are the key points of your platform?

M: My platform would focus on five key areas:

-Improving access to and quality of health care and funded services (i.e. the Health Hub).

-Tackling soaring hydro rates and stopping the fire sale of Hydro One.

-Improving the quality of education and addressing issues in post-secondary education (i.e. consulting students, teachers, and parents).

-Enhancing transportation access that includes a holistic approach to expanding all infrastructure, LRT and highways.

-Offering incentives for local business development and lowering taxes.

Which do you feel is the most important for Orléans?

M: All five! Improving access to and quality of health care and funded services, so as mentioned the Health Hub. I have also met with families who have hydro bills of $500 a month for their household which is outrageous. Also, Ontario has thousands of francophone students but no francophone university. I would support the development of francophone university with a satellite campus in Orléans.

I support the LRT, but would also like to see Highway 174 expanded to three lanes. So many Orléans residents commut to work and current highway capacity is not good enough.

Orléans also needs to offer local incentives for business and encourage industry to locate in the community.

Did you grow up in Orléans or have you lived or worked in the east end?

M: I have been working in Orléans for the past 10 years in schools as a professor of education. I also had another role as a supervisor for student-teachers. I would go into all the Francophone schools to visit my student-teachers and develop relationships, and basically guide the student-teacher along to success. So I know the riding, I'm not a new comer. We live close too. We currently live in Manor Park so we're neighbours across the street. Upon being elected my family and I would move and call Orléans home.

What do you think our current government is lacking on when it comes to the needs of Orléans residents?

M: Unfortunately this current government is failing Ontarians and it's time for voters to look at other options. This current government just funds projects blindly without focusing on the economic and social environment. I want to support Orléans residents by addressing issues that are in their hearts and minds and that matter to their daily lives. I believe that we can't just move forward with policies on an ad hoc basis. Instead, I would address issues by consulting with stakeholders, my constituents, to understand the public appetite for change and taking actual evidence into account before moving ahead on policies and programs.

For more information on Cameron Montgomery visit his website at www.votecam.ca.

http://www.orleansstar.ca/News.....6nbsp%3B/1
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there seems to be many competitive races in the Ottawa area , also one in Kanata Carleton riding )

Jul 18, 2016 | Vote 0 0

MacLaren to run for provincial PC re-nomination in Kanata-Carleton

‘We fully intend to carry on and compete’: says incumbent MPP

Carleton-Mississippi Mills Progressive-Conservative MPP Jack MacLaren says he will run for the re-nomination in the new riding of Kanata-Carleton.

Kanata Kourier-Standard
By Jessica Cunha

Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP Jack MacLaren says he will run for the Progressive Conservative nomination in the new riding of Kanata-Carleton.

The Progressive Conservative incumbent – in what is currently the riding of Carleton-Mississippi Mills – began knocking on doors about two weeks ago, he said. The riding will be slightly reshaped before the next provincial election – scheduled for 2018 – and take on the name Kanata-Carleton.

“We fully intend to carry on and compete in this nomination meeting and work our way to the election and win the election because I enjoy this job,” he said.

“I would say we have a lot of trust and respect from a lot of constituents now who are encouraging me to carry on and to seek the nomination and run in the election in 2018 and they would like to have me continue as their MPP because they say they’re satisfied with the work that I do. They like me, they like having me as their representative. And I like being their representative.”

Two other riding residents launched their campaigns for the provincial PC nomination in Kanata-Carleton on June 28.

Rick Keindel, a retired staff sergeant with the Ottawa police, announced his bid in a news release. Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, a health advocate and retired physician, held a launch party at the Kanata Golf and Country Club.

MacLaren, who was first elected in 2011 after ousting then-incumbent MPP Norm Sterling during the PC nomination process, said he welcomes the competition.

“We look forward to competition in the race,” he said on July 14, sitting at a conference table in his Kanata constituency office.

“I have to consider them to be worthy opponents and we’re going to work hard to fight fair and square.”

DIFFICULT TIME

MacLaren said the encouragement of supporters, as well as the Ontario Landowners Association (of which he is a past-president), held him up during a “difficult time.” MacLaren faced heavy criticism earlier this year for telling a crude joke during a Men’s Night event. He was also panned for posting testimonials with fake names and photos on his website.

“That was an awful experience, brutal,” he said.

He was removed as the eastern Ontario representative of the Conservative caucus and ordered to undergo sensitivity training by PC Leader Patrick Brown.

“I have to say (training) was a positive experience; probably told me things that really, I should more obviously have known, and it just drove it into me,” he said.

“It was really good and it’s just a matter of being more careful, more considerate. What I did was intended to be humourous but failed and it seemed to cause hurt. There was no intention to cause hurt, but I guess I’d have to say it did. So I have to be more careful and not do that kind of thing again. And I assure you I won’t. Tough lesson, but I learned it."

As his party's outreach ambassador to a number of ethnic communities, MacLaren said his favourite aspect of the job – aside from helping those who reach out – is meeting new people.

“It really is the people. The ethnic folks have been great. You know, I’m a rural Ontario white farm boy and so I was never exposed to all these different ethnic groups,” he said. “One of the great things of my job is I meet all these different kinds of people who come from different places, different religions, and I always find I meet great people.”

A proponent of city de-amalgamation and lower taxes, MacLaren said government needs to do better job of helping people, specifically those with autism, mental health issues and seniors.

“Corporate welfare, I would say, should stop,” he said. “Businesses need the freedom to do what they need to do and be creative and innovative and not be taxed to death, but as far as giving companies money to build plants or factories or hire people, I think that’s a false economy. And when we have autistic kids and mental health and seniors needing help, those dollars should go there first.

“In some cases we have the greatest country in the world but we wouldn’t be judged too well the way we look at autism, mental health or some of our seniors. It’s getting worse, not better.”

Asked if he’s ready to face criticism in seeking renomination, MacLaren said he wants to continue helping his constituents, doing a job he enjoys.

“The criticism is losing steam, shall we say. Time passes and I think we’ve addressed that problem.”

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.....-carleton/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the candidates nominated so far or who plan to run , it appears Sam Oosterhoff was a one off , there doesn't seem to be many other younger socially conservative candidates in the running . although there may be other younger candidates nominated Goldie Ghamari of Carleton is younger but not from the social conservative wing of the party from what I've seen

other ridings seem to be looking for some profile and experience , as seen by the nomination of former mp Paul Calandra in Markham and city councillor Ross Romano in Sault Ste Marie . I don't get the feeling many other ridings are seeking out a candidate as young and inexperienced as Sam Oosterhoff .
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominate early, nominate often

Ontario PCs, with a notable polling lead, get a head start on 2018 nominations

Ainslie Cruickshank

Friday, November 4th, 2016

In the latest sign that the 2018 Ontario election has taken on a downright American-style epic timeline, Ontario’s Progressive Conservatives will acclaim two candidates and nominate one more this weekend, getting a head start on both the Liberals and NDP.

In Sault Ste. Marie city councillor and lawyer Ross Romano is expected to be acclaimed Friday evening. Adam Ibrahim, the director of sales and marketing with his family’s business Pure & Clean H2O TO GO, is expected to be acclaimed in Windsor West on Saturday, a party spokesperson confirmed Friday. Ibrahim previously worked at Queen’s Park as a senior advisor and was part of PC Leader Patrick Brown’s outreach team during the party’s leadership race.

Saturday’s nomination race in Carleton is down to two candidates — lawyer Goldie Ghamari and Brandon Purcell, a recent graduate of Carleton University — after the PCs rejected two other candidates for negative comments.

With the latest Forum poll showing the PCs under Brown leading at 43 per cent and Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals at 24 per cent — just one point ahead of Andrea Horwath’s NDP at 23 per cent — the climate at Queen’s Park has already taken on a pre-election charge.

As an opposition party, it’s in the Conservatives’ interest to settle nominations early, said Anna Esselment, a political scientist at the University of Waterloo.

Getting an early start means candidates have that much more time to gain name recognition by door knocking, attending events and getting their names in the newspaper, Esselment said.

No PC MPP has held the Sault Ste. Marie riding since 1985, when the NDP’s Karl Morin-Strom defeated Conservative Russ Ramsay. The NDP held the riding until 2003, when David Orazietti, the current minister of Natural Resources, was first elected.

The Windsor West riding is currently represented by the NDP’s Lisa Gretzky, who beat Liberal Teresa Piruzza in 2011. The Liberals had held the riding since it was created in 1999.

While the Carleton riding will be contested for the first time in 2018, Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre won the riding at the federal level in 2015.

A number of former federal Conservative MPs have also announced their intentions to seek provincial PC nominations for 2018, including: former Finance minister Joe Oliver in York Centre; Paul Calandra, the former parliamentary secretary to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, in Markham-Stouffville; and Bob Dechert, former Conservative MP for Mississauga-Erindale, in Mississauga-Erin Mills.

The Liberals haven’t opened their nominations yet, but Patricia Favre, the party’s vice president of communications, said they’ll have updates in the new year.

It’s not uncommon to see an opposition party start preparing for a general election before the governing party, Esselment said.

In the early 2000s, the Liberals started the nomination process between 18 months and two years ahead of the election, she said.

A governing party is “far more risk-averse,” she said. In the last federal election, the parties lost more than a dozen candidates due to social media gaffes, she noted.

Already, the PCs have had to reject two nomination candidates from the Carleton race after farmer and mechanical engineer Michael Nowak made racist comments about Ghamari over Facebook and Jay Tysick made negative remarks about Ghamari and Purcell in the Ottawa Citizen.

The Liberals will probably undertake a very careful vetting process to ensure they don’t suffer any embarrassments, Esselment said.

“They are still 18 months out, they still have another budget, they still have things that they’re doing so I think they’re concentrating on the governing part,” she said.

It’s also possible that some current MPPs haven’t decided whether they will run again in 2018, she said.

Those decisions will likely become clearer about a year before the election, she said.

Two byelections, in Ottawa-Vanier and Niagara West-Glanbrook, are coming up on Nov. 17.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/11/04.....ate-often/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( another former federal cpc candidate , Michael Parsa was nominated in the new York region riding of Aurora Oak Ridges Richmond Hill )

November 13, 2016

Michael Parsa to run for Ontario PC Party in Aurora–Oak Ridges–Richmond Hill

I am pleased to announce that I will be running for the Ontario PC Party in the riding of Aurora–Oak Ridges–Richmond Hill in the next general election. As a resident and small business owner in Richmond Hill, I look forward to having the opportunity to continue serving our community.

Patrick Brown and the Ontario PC Party are building a strong team and plan to return our province back to prosperity, and I am honoured to be a part of this movement. Our party is committed to growing the economy, while returning public trust and accountability to Queen's Park. As your candidate and Member of Provincial Parliament, I will work tirelessly to ensure that we deliver on those promises.

I look forward to connecting with many of you in the weeks and months ahead. If you wish to contact me, I can be reached at contact@michaelparsa.ca or 905-962-0900.

Sincerely,

Michael Parsa

Ontario PC Party Candidate

Aurora–Oak Ridges–Richmond Hill

https://www.michaelparsa.ca/news/announcement
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Kinga Surma won the nomination for Etobicoke Centre , a previous pc stronghold that has swung liberal in recent years )

Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on the nomination of Kinga Surma as the candidate for Etobicoke Centre

November 22, 2016

Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on the nomination of Kinga Surma as the Ontario PC Party’s candidate for Etobicoke Centre:

“I congratulate Kinga Surma on her nomination by Ontario PC members of Etobicoke Centre as our newest candidate.

“A long-time activist within the Polish-Canadian community, and having served as a board member with local organizations like the Stomegate Community Health Centre and Polycultural Immigrant Community Services, Kinga understands the challenges her community faces. Through her experience working at all three levels of government and as a tireless conservative activist, I am sure that Kinga will be a strong representative for the residents of Etobicoke Centre.

“Under this Liberal Government, Ontario is at a disadvantage. Families and businesses can’t afford skyrocketing hydro rates. Cut after cut to health care services has meant more time waiting for care, and taxpayer dollars continue to be wasted. After 13 years of Liberal scandal, waste and mismanagement, life’s harder for Ontario families and businesses.

“In Etobicoke Centre and across the province, the Ontario PC Party will continue to work hard to earn the trust of voters. We will continue to present Ontarians with a Party that is modern, inclusive and ready to govern, while sharing our positive message of change for a more prosperous future.”

“I would also like to thank Pina Martino for running a strong campaign and for her contributions to the Ontario PC cause.”

http://www.ontariopc.com/News/.....oke-Centre
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( also a nomination for Brampton North , a redistributed riding in Brampton , an area that had been pc before 2003 and that they need to win back )

Statement from the Ontario PC Party on Jass Johal’s nomination as the Brampton North candidate

November 21, 2016

Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on the nomination of Jass Johal as the Ontario PC Brampton North candidate:

“I congratulate Jass Johal on being nominated by the Ontario PC members of Brampton North as our new candidate for the 2018 General Election, and a member of our modern, inclusive, and pragmatic team. As a local paralegal and a long-time volunteer and community activist, I am sure that Jass Johal will be a strong voice for the constituents of Brampton North.

“After 13 years in power, life is harder under the Liberals. Skyrocketing hydro rates have driven Ontarians into energy poverty and businesses out of the province. We continue to see cut after cut to our frontline health care services, and Wynne Liberal scandals have meant that Ontario lags far behind other provinces.

“Enough is enough. Clearly, it’s time for a change in Ontario. It’s time for a government that puts the people of Ontario first, not their political self interest.”

Statement from Ontario PC Brampton North candidate Jass Johal:

“I am humbled and honored to join Patrick Brown’s Ontario PC team.

“The people of Brampton are tired of paying some of the highest electricity prices in North America. They’re tired of scandal after scandal, and they’re tired of cuts to health care. They’re tired of a government that is only in it for themselves, and is out of touch with the challenges everyday families faces. The modern, inclusive, and pragmatic Ontario PC Party that Patrick Brown has built is the change Ontario and Brampton needs.

“I am running to share that positive message of change with the people of Brampton North – at the door and at community events across the riding. I can’t wait to get to work.”

http://www.ontariopc.com/News/.....Jass-Johal’s-nomination-as-the-Brampton-North-candidate

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  

Jump to: