Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't mind paying $6.00 for a lightbulb - I've seen them $3.00 for about $13.00 before even. Not bad, and it helps with reducing power usage(so maybe we can avoid another east-coast blackout).

When I first saw CFLs they cost around $70 each. Phillips actually made a lock to go with them at the time to prevent CFLs from being stolen!

My first CFL I bought around 7 years ago; it was on sale for $30.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the spectrum on the LED lights?

From what I've readthere are tons of varieties of LED, different colours, different "warmths" and different spectrums.

With all this variety comes a variety of prices too. When I was quoted the prices for LED bulbs the "warm" lights were about $10 cheaper than the "cool" lights for example.

What I understand is that true white and full spectrum LEDs are very expensive right now due to technological limitations. This is why in LED flashlights the light is a blueish-white.

You'll recall that when Christmas LED lights first came out they didn't come in white. Then the next year as prices dropped they came in "cool" white, and now this year for the first time I saw them in "traditional warm" white.

To give you an idea of what true full spectrum LED would cost, take a look at those
"Sun-lamps" for people who get the winter blues. Those lamps often use full spectrum LEDs and they cost around $150.

Quote:
I think a law banning incandescent lights would be the single most effective and politically popular environmental move to make.

I think so too.

In fact, the news is reporting on my TV right now that Ontario is thinking of a similar policy.
KPK

votes: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
So what do you folks think?

Do you think something similar could work in Canada?

FYI: I've just ordered an LED light bulb to try out.

I've been using CFLs for about 7 years now.

This LED light uses .35 watts and will last 100 000 hours! For comparison CFL bulbs use 9 to 23 watts!

It costs $29 bucks though. A brighter .75 watt version costs $41.

I'm gonna try it out and if I like It I'll slowly convert all my lights over to LED (or as many which are practical).

I'm all for banning regular light bulbs. They should of thought of this years ago.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:
Interesting question - I think that we need to watch our government regulations to some extent(the smoking bans and their far-sweeping powers are good examples of this). But at the same time, there are some things that should be legislated.

The lighting debate is a good example, and so is banning the production/sale of 2-stroke cycle engines.

I would suggest that both are good options - why? neither would have any sort of massive impact on business or consumer. With proper lead-in times, companies would have the chance to change their businesses to meet the legislation, and costs for customers aren't massively higher for the consumer.

I don't mind paying $6.00 for a lightbulb - I've seen them $3.00 for about $13.00 before even. Not bad, and it helps with reducing power usage(so maybe we can avoid another east-coast blackout).

That puts a real damper on Detroit Diesel, there are a lot of trucks, busses, and other machines out there with 2 stroke Detroits in them.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like banning the 2 stroke would affect a lot of marine applications as well.

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

And locomotive applications as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_cycle
biggie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify the two-stroke comment; I was talking about home-applications; lawnmowers, small boat engines etc...

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: