Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KPK

votes: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Government should go after Emitters in Opposition ridings Reply with quote

Since the so called Kyoto bill will be passed soon, my suggestion to the government is to come down hard on emitters in Opposition MPs ridings. We should even threaten to shut them down if they don't meet the 6% below 1990 levels by 2012. It would be interesting to see what the reaction would be. Or am I just too evil :twisted: ?
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be eminently reasonable. Since its all a bit of a gamble and has never really been attempted before in this country, why not start in the ridings of those MP's who insist it be done. Let them put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. We'll experiment in their ridings and see how it all works out. If they're right, they'll be re-elected because all their constituents will be fully employed making lots of money in the new "green" economy. If not....well at least the whole Canadian economy won't be destroyed.
Glenn
KPK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see plants close and Opposition MPs defeated as a result. The other option would be to pull out of Kyoto and make the bill irrelevant. No targets no law.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KPK wrote:
It would be nice to see plants close and Opposition MPs defeated as a result. The other option would be to pull out of Kyoto and make the bill irrelevant. No targets no law.

I don't think it would be nice to see plants close, but if they did, it would be nice to see opposition MPs defeated - and they would have every reason to.
KPK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:

I don't think it would be nice to see plants close.

If it's in Liberal Toronto all the better..no sympathy for Liberal central here.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logocal place to start is power generation. Specifically coal. If electricity goes to $7 per kwh, I think a lot of people would rethink their stance on Kyoto. Follow that up with $15 per liter gasoline. $9 heating oil. Cube the cost of propane and natural gas. The only thing is to make sure that the name of the tax that does this is tied to the Liberal brand. Call it the Kyoto tax, or maybe the Dion tax. I say Liberals want to live by the green sword, they can die by it too. Maybe the Pablo tax?
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
The logocal place to start is power generation. Specifically coal. If electricity goes to $7 per kwh, I think a lot of people would rethink their stance on Kyoto. Follow that up with $15 per liter gasoline. $9 heating oil. Cube the cost of propane and natural gas. The only thing is to make sure that the name of the tax that does this is tied to the Liberal brand. Call it the Kyoto tax, or maybe the Dion tax. I say Liberals want to live by the green sword, they can die by it too. Maybe the Pablo tax?

Hahahaha, maybe the liberal destroy the economy tax?

I agree... it would be best to target electrical generation first, as it makes up a lot of the CO2 emissions. I would follow it with manufacturing, automobile and finally natural resources - in that order.

Of course, the problem becomes: As much as the liberals might be responsible for it, the general public(you know, those people who aren't completely obsessed with politics.... I just found out that people like that exist.) would probably be upset with the conservatives - as ridiculous as that may be.

For an example, look at the GST, which replaced the MST - it was actually basically a tax cut for the consumer(and a competitive advantage for the manufacturers); instead of 13.5% being charged on the goods, the consumer was charged 7%. Yet, because the Conservatives introduced it, and it was seen as a tax hike - they took a massive hit for it.

Jump to: