Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Atlantica's Cycle of Poverty Reply with quote

- The Atlantican Economy was flourishing with resources such as the fishery, coal, & gypsum. A North-South Trade corridor existed between the Atlantic British Colonies & New England.

- Confederation is introduced on July 1, 1867. Nova Scotia loses self governance. Joseph Howe leads Canadaís first separatists to victory a few short years later. The Anti Confederation Party argued that Nova Scotia would be forced into dependency on the Ottawa government. The Anti Confederation part wins the provincial election, then seek to separate from Canada through British Parliament only to be denied

- As a result of Confederation the north-south trade corridor is shut down by the Canadian government in favour of the maritimes paying off Ontarioís debts, centralization of the economy, & a west-south trade route. Therefore Atlantica is shut out from their natural economic markets.

- The changing shipping industry from schooner to steal hits Atlantica hard as the industry has not been able to fully adapt to the changing times

- "THE GREAT DEPRESSION"

- The Saint Lawrence Seaway opens up the Great Lakes region to shipping. Halifax the traditional port of entry with a natural deep harbour loses alot of business as a result

- As resources Begin to disappear, the Atlantican economy loses more capital, & fiscal mis-management didnít help either. Transfer Payments are further increased.

- Atlantican economics cannot keep up with the rest of North America. Without economic willingness Atlanticans are faced with the prospect of a second world economy if not for the equalization programs. Newfoundland & Labrador are admitted into Confederation in 1949. Before Newfoundland joined as a province in 1949, the British dependent territory lost their status as a nation during the 1930ís in favour of having their debts payed off.

- Though the fishery is not completely dead, workers from that industry are forced to either retrained for other job opportunities or into the welfare system. A great migration loss to the United States & western Canada in sues.

- Newfoundland & Labrador, Cape Breton Island, (part of Nova Scotia), are Canadaís most unemployed areaís. Massive outward migration has depleted the population totals of these two areaís, the highest taxes deterring industry, well paying jobs are forced out in favour of low paying civil service jobs; & only part time positions

"ENOUGH WITH THIS CYCLE OF POVERTY!"
Atlantica must stop looking towards the rest of Canada for support, the equalization programs have kept the economy from developing as our dependency has run to the level of the expectation that this region can never succeed. However the very remedy for the economic mess Atlantica is in exists on our own back door, however nationalist pride has kept Atlantica from ever claiming wealth. Canadian economics donít work for Atlantica. Itís time to latch the region on some sort of economic deal with the United States so that Atlantica can re-open our traditional markets with New England. As long as Ottawa continues their sovereignty debate, Atlantica will remain on the train of economic transfer payments, it's time for Atlanticans to stand upto Ottawa ;claim back our economic sovereignty & get a new deal, because Confederation has been an economic disaster.

http://unitednorthamerica.blogspot.com/
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm originally from the Maritimes and all my family still live there. We've had discussions about this subject many times.

The consensus is the "cream" of young Atlanticans end up moving west, whether to Ontario or further west (like me... in Vancouver) seeking opportunity and those who don't leave are stuck. If you don't have family connections, starting a new business is all but impossible. They look to Ottawa for solutions and, put bluntly, as long as Atlanticans continue to vote Liberal, the Liberals had no incentive to help them.

Ontario and Quebec control Canada's manufacturing. The west has resources which exceed those of the East (except perhaps Hibernia). What can Atlantican offer that other parts of Canada don't already have in abundance?

I firmly believe Atlantican has what it takes to become an economic powerhouse but it will only happen when they stop looking to Ottawa for solutions and begin innovating for themselves.

-Mac
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you know how much i hated my dad for settling here! he should at least had the guts to settle in the west.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck Tory wrote:
Now you know how much i hated my dad for settling here! he should at least had the guts to settle in the west.

The west wasn't always fun and games you know...
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welfare has become a tradition of over 150 years, that's hard to break. BC & Alberta are elarning to be quite self sufficient, however the Liberal bureaucrats seek to change that. Ontario is suffering from a recession, their debts are growing, so like in 1867 the west will be raped in the name of recofederating the economy back into Quebec & Ontario. The Conservatives are much of an improvement over the Liberals however provincial economic soverignety still eludes us. And with Dion's Kyoto plan, if Canadians bite the tripe the situation is only going to get worse.
Duck Tory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:
Duck Tory wrote:

The west wasn't always fun and games you know...

I consider the west.......................... hell i consider moving to places where i can speak out and get away from politics screwing Hockey.
McGuire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article is sadly true. I remember watching the program on the NS budget last year & all the CBC journos were on the verge of tears that NS was getting less money from transfer payments. They seemed to have overlooked that it was due to a stronger economy. Morons
Duck Tory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can only speak the truth bout this region....For me i know where the problem lies and it is that the Maritime region and Newfoundland are addicted to welfare.

Jump to: